Cards release Shelton & Diamond

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AntSports Steve said:
I'm pissed!!! Damn idoits with egos. Now, after June 1st, the Cards need to find a backup OT. Yes, it will be at backup money, but the Cards have plenty of money this year. Shelton was good insurance to cover for an injury.

I doubt they will be in any rush to sign an OT. I believe they think they've found some talent in Newton and Allen or Haayer (sp?). I think they will wait until training camp to do anything on the oline, if at all. I think the two roster spots are more likely to be used on DBs and/or TEs.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
DMBills36 said:
Why? I hope we don't sign him. Our coaches don't like him.

The Bills will all of a sudden be all about L.J. now that he's available, and suddenly the coaches will change their minds. Of course, L.J. might not want to sign there after all the crap Buffalo spewed.

Oh well. Not our problem any more. If you guys don't sign him, you'll either have a failed LT-turned-C-turned-LT or a converted TE at LT, protecting an unproven 2nd year player with huge question marks. Good luck with that.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
AntSports Steve said:
1) Now, there is no proven OL depth.

I agree, this is a big concern to me, and I hate to say there is some uncovered jem of a rokie FA who will prove us wrong.... That's old Cardinal mentality

2) The Cards pushed way too much money into this year. Hell, they could have used that cap space to get a really great free agent. S.Alexander, E.James quality. They have like $6M now, cut all those players after June 1st and it's something like $12M. Better planning and the Cards could have added 1 more quality starter. Maybe 1 more victory in 2005?

What free agent are you referring to? Alexander or james both would have cost picks and a huge contract. No thanks. Next year is not an excuse, and Quan's contract hit on this year is important. That and OLNY that is a reason to spread the hit over 2 years.

3) They now have ruined any chance of every making a trade for players in the offseason. Why trade fairly with the Cardinals? They cut all their problem players.

This is a overreaction. Most teams do this. Players known to have fallen out of favor are NEVER traded for in the NFL for this very reason. It is not an Arizona things, every team knows this game and calls their bluff.

QUOTE]

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Can't say I am surprised (although Diamond is a little out there. I thought he'd come into camp as a body.)

Best of Luck to LJ. He was a class act his entire time here.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Renz said:
Come on! When we had Shelton our O-Line rocked! Without him, we are doomed to mediocrity! :rolleyes:

seriously - same with Kendall! Doomed I tell you! Doomed!

I mean what did that "idiot" actually get accomplished with the O-line that his "ego" produced without those guys - besides giving us our best rushing attack since 1998 (you know - the year without Kendall or LJ) with a geriatric back there - but man - is he an IDIOT! :rolleyes:

Oh - and he made sure our cap would be in great shape for years to come - WHAT A MORON!

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
DMBills36 said:
Ofcourse he's a backup. We have Willis McGahee. Obviously you haven't been watching football long enough, or else you would've seen Henry in the Pro Bowl and rushing for 1300+ yards

Why are you guys living on Henry's past glory? He won't get that kind of yardage now. Why? Because he's a freakin backup! Do you think anyone will trade for Faulk because at one time he was billed as the best back in the game? No one was willing to trade for Emmitt Smith, who was a far cry better than Henry in his prime, before he was cut by Dallas.

You guys live on that 1300 yards in a 16 game season. That's 81.25 yards per game.Hell Emmitt rushed for nearly 1000 in a defunct offense. That's 62.50 yards per game. Roughly 20 ypg average better than an aged back on a weak offense. I can see why teams are beating down Donowhores door to trade a high pick for him. Especially with the likes of James and Alexander out there. He so outclasses them.

Hope you guys don't sign LJ. Hope he goes to another team and shows he's everything you guys were looking for. Hopefully in your division.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I'm with the Bills fans in hoping the Bills do not sign Shelton. I'm praying LJ's overrated ass goes somewhere within the division so our d-line can take advanatage of his mediocrity twice a year.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Of course now if you try to sign Shelton you'll have to change your tune and what would be really funny is if Buffalo tries to sign him, and loses him to another team.

Not that it matters with Losman at QB your offense is going to struggle anyways.

That is excatly what will happen. LJ will be signed for somewhere between 1 and 1.5 million. Which mean the "genius" TD will have to compete with Texans, Bears, Cowboys, Dolphins, maybe Chargers, Browns, and maybe more.

I say Shelton goes to eithe Mia or CHI

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DevonCardsFan said:
I'm surprised as well, I figured people would be screaming and crying for letting these guys go, the same way people had hissy fits over Kendall.

Speaking for me totally different situations. Green announced Kendall as a starter, I think he even listed him as one of his core players(?), and then cut him right before camp started.

Shelton has been in Green's doghouse for over a year and we publicly shopped him, nobody is surprised here, I don't recall anybody predicing Kendall would be cut before camp opened last year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LoyaltyisaCurse said:
That is excatly what will happen. LJ will be signed for somewhere between 1 and 1.5 million. Which mean the "genius" TD will have to compete with Texans, Bears, Cowboys, Dolphins, maybe Chargers, Browns, and maybe more.

I say Shelton goes to eithe Mia or CHI

Yep although this time of year teams may be hesitant to sign a guy wanting to wait for june 1 to see who else gets cut. We saw how quickly Denver signed Clement, someone will sign LJ but he may have to wait until after June 1st.

He should pull a Larry Brown and show up in Buffalo and then announce he's signing with someone else :D

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Yep although this time of year teams may be hesitant to sign a guy wanting to wait for june 1 to see who else gets cut. We saw how quickly Denver signed Clement, someone will sign LJ but he may have to wait until after June 1st.

He should pull a Larry Brown and show up in Buffalo and then announce he's signing with someone else

:biglaugh:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Renz said:
Some posters still think they will get a first or a second for Henry. Wow! Talk about delusional.
I'll group those delusional Buffalo fans in with the Cardinals fans who thought we'd get the same for LJ.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Very immature kid, good athlete though, kind of a less bright Jake Plummer.

He's less bright than Jake Plummer? I didn't think that possible.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Not surprising. See ya Shelton. :wave:

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
I'm with the Bills fans in hoping the Bills do not sign Shelton. I'm praying LJ's overrated ass goes somewhere within the division so our d-line can take advanatage of his mediocrity twice a year.

Good grief. Did Shelton run over your dog or something?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Where is the outrage for losing this great human being.

I am pissed off.

How the heck are we ever going to replace him.

We should have waited till June 1st to cut him to save cap space for all of the great june 1st cuts that will be occuring.

There is no way we couldnt have gotten a 7th rounder at least for him.

Just another case of Denny Greens ego getting in the way of the success of the team.

I mean really there is no way we can ever replace Diamond. ;)

seesred

Reaction score
Here is my two cents. IMO they are very close to a deal with Q and I expect that it might happen this week. LJ was gone anyway. There was no way on earth he was staying. It's got to be more than his poor play, it's something he said or did. As for Diamond after reviewnig the TE position Green and the TE coach more than likely figured that he was going,so why not give the other three more reps.

It's to bad LJ didn't work out. As far as most fans go we liked him. But remeber what that line has done over the last three years.Ken doll , LJ big out of position and the rest. Sacks, no run game, no time in the passing game. It wasn't just one of them it was most of them. Between Anthony C and LJ big and strong no , how about slow and weak. I'm glad that the changes were made and we will now sign Q.

GBR
In Green we trust

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Good for both sides

Green gets Shelton off his mind and Shelton has time to find another team. Worked out best for both.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It is so funny because it doesn't matter.

I mean is there an over/under on the release of Shelton?

He was mediocre under Mac. I never saw him pancake anyone! I watched every game the guy played!!!!!

We got rid of dead weight.

:fans:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan