Cards' rolling field makes its first stadium entrance

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 2, 2006 03:05 AM

A major piece in the Cardinals Stadium puzzle was fit into place Thursday.

Stadium crews successfully maneuvered the retractable field completely into the stadium for the first time.

The field tray was rolled inside to allow for measurements and for workers to determine if there are any problems with the technology that powers the field.
advertisement

John Drum, director of stadium operations for the Arizona Cardinals, said there were no major problems with the move. Engineers will now review data collected in search of any flaws in the system.

"This was their first chance to really kick the tires and get this thing moving and make sure all their calculations, all their measurements and all their drawing-board stuff applied," Drum said. "Now they have to go back and refine it."

The tray will sit outside the stadium for a few weeks before it's tested again. It is North America's only retractable field.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/0602gl-field02Z18-CR.html

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Is it game time yet?

Stallion

Cats, Cards, Bax, Suns
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
It is North America's only retractable field.

I assume this means it's not the only one in the world. Anyone know where there's another one?

I am still amazed by this. Great news that they successfully tested it.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Stallion said:
I assume this means it's not the only one in the world. Anyone know where there's another one?

I am still amazed by this. Great news that they successfully tested it.

There are others. I believe it is in either one of China, Japan, or one of the big soccer stadiums in Europe.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Probably the most famous of these - and it was just mentioned the other day on the azcardinals.com board by "seeinredyet" - is the Gelsenkirchen in Germany.

Apparently, the US National Team will play there for the World Cup on June 12th.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/d/s/gelsenkirchen.html

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
We should have really stepped up and made the stadium roll out to the field. :|

Lloydian

Registered
Reaction score
Looking at Gelsenkirchen, that looks like a retractable roof on a curved track. Apparently, we aren't getting the first of those either.

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
More on that stadium, which is known as Veltins Arena. According to Wikipedia, Glendale was modeled after it.

Highly acclaimed, the Veltins-Arena will serve as a model for the new stadium now under construction in the Phoenix suburb of Glendale. The new Arizona Cardinals American Football stadium will share features such as a retractable roof and a slide-out pitch with its German counterpart.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veltins-Arena

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
I need inside-pictures of OUR stadium with the grass completely on the inside.

Oh, it would be great if those pictures were were taken from the view of my seats.

Thanks in advance...

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My Concern

After reading the Az Republic article, it indicated that the Engineers will now have to refine (I believe that was the word) it. What does that mean? Was there a problem with the roll out?

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Garthshort said:
After reading the Az Republic article, it indicated that the Engineers will now have to refine (I believe that was the word) it. What does that mean? Was there a problem with the roll out?

That was engineer's talk for we'll keep screwing with it until it fails.:D

Burg72

Registered
Reaction score
That website about all the stadiums in the world is awesome. Don't know how many of you checked it out but it is pretty interesting seeing all the different types of architectural style that will be coming out in the future statiums.

www.worldstadiums.com:offtopic:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Redmark said:
Everyone's in their seats waiting for the kickoff and the field is stuck outside.

I'll help push it inside

OP
OP
azdad1978

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Redmark said:
Everyone's in their seats waiting for the kickoff and the field is stuck outside.

I would guess that's one reason why they have said that the field will roll inside on Saturdays (before a Sunday game)...gives them time to fix any issues that might come up...

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Aaahhhhh. Thank you. That was satisfying.

The Cardinals finally have a nest.