Cards' rolling field makes its first stadium entrance

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I love it that the Cards went with a grass roll-in field. The Seahawks didn't do this in their new stadium and the Cowboys aren't either. Instead they went cheap and opted for that field-turf crap. I know, i know, it is better than the old astroturf but is that really saying much? What do I know but i would bet you that Mr B. and Michael wanted and insisted on going with a grass field-on-a-tray because they know first hand the misery of playing football on artificial turf. How is that you ask? Years and years of playing on the concrete-like astroturf at the old Busch stadium in St Louis made them more than aquainted with it. I bet they decided that we've have waited this long for our own stadium there is no way we are going cheap with it and play on turf. Kudos to them i say!!!

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
BigRedArk said:
I love it that the Cards went with a grass roll-in field. The Seahawks didn't do this in their new stadium and the Cowboys aren't either. Instead they went cheap and opted for that field-turf crap. I know, i know, it is better than the old astroturf but is that really saying much? What do I know but i would bet you that Mr B. and Michael wanted and insisted on going with a grass field-on-a-tray because they know first hand the misery of playing football on artificial turf. How is that you ask? Years and years of playing on the concrete-like astroturf at the old Busch stadium in St Louis made them more than aquainted with it. I bet they decided that we've have waited this long for our own stadium there is no way we are going cheap with it and play on turf. Kudos to them i say!!!

sure wasnt done to save money - a change for the better straight away :thumbup:

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
you do realize that the seattle stadium has nothing covering the field and absolutely no need to roll a field in or out, right?!

also, field turf was used because it's much easier to maintain in the elements up there - there was a very long debate between this & grass and they ended up going with field turf, even though it could hurt their ability to host some soccer events

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
MigratingOsprey said:
you do realize that the seattle stadium has nothing covering the field and absolutely no need to roll a field in or out, right?!

also, field turf was used because it's much easier to maintain in the elements up there - there was a very long debate between this & grass and they ended up going with field turf, even though it could hurt their ability to host some soccer events

Good point on no need for a roll in field Migrating. I know with all of the rain y'all get that a grass field could possibly be a problem. However, Miami gets a lot of rain and they have grass. Ohio State is cold in the winter and they have grass. Also the Steelers have grass too. I've never been to Seattle unfortunately but it seems like that if the Seahwaks had the will they could have found a way to go with grass. There are all types of grasses that will grow in nearly any climate.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
the grass grows, it just gets torn up - the south florida rainy season is more toward the early part of the season and the field can be a wreak between the storms and the marlins

it's easier to play on a cold turf than on a wet one

grass could of been pulled off, but this surface works better for that area - it stays in better shape, is easier to play on in wet conditions and I would say is just as safe, if not safer than grass

also, I think the cards could of grown grass with just a retractable roof - although it wouldn't of been so cool - i'm really looking forward to getting into this facility - i love stadiums

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
MigratingOsprey said:
the grass grows, it just gets torn up - the south florida rainy season is more toward the early part of the season and the field can be a wreak between the storms and the marlins

it's easier to play on a cold turf than on a wet one

grass could of been pulled off, but this surface works better for that area - it stays in better shape, is easier to play on in wet conditions and I would say is just as safe, if not safer than grass

also, I think the cards could of grown grass with just a retractable roof - although it wouldn't of been so cool - i'm really looking forward to getting into this facility - i love stadiums

Yeah they probably could have. I think they went with a roll-in field so that it could be a multi-use stadium/arena.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
yep .. that and it looks neat :)

i was up in MN this past weekend and talking about the new stadium and someone brought up a good point

if they are going to keep the field out of the stadium, how are they going to protect it?

what is to stop anyone from just running around the field in the middle of the night?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
MigratingOsprey said:

i was up in MN this past weekend and talking about the new stadium and someone brought up a good point

if they are going to keep the field out of the stadium, how are they going to protect it?

what is to stop anyone from just running around the field in the middle of the night?

respect

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
yeah and respect has been known to run rampant - just look at the old farm building next to the stadium with tags all over it

(fully wish the world would run on respect as i'm a big fan)

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
MigratingOsprey said:

Good point. You know someone will want to spray paint something on the field the day before a game...or worse.

As far as the retractible field issue goes, I do know that one of the determining factors for having a rollout field was due to the fact that was going to cost a LOT more to have a fully retractible roof - one that would allow grass to grow inside. The current roof configuration would not allow enough sunlight in to grow grass in there. So, they actually saved money by having the field roll in and out, and only partially opening the roof.

I believe Reliant Stadium has the grass field on pallettes - they just use heavy machinery to move the sections of field in and out of there. Seems like that would be a lot of prep work before every Texans game...

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
MigratingOsprey said:

I am sure there will be security, especially during football season

SDS is ridiculously easy to get into if there wasnt security -- almost anyone can scale a 6ft chain link fence -- and there was never an issue there (and I am sure there were lots of motivated U of A fans who would have liked to have created one)

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
MigratingOsprey said:

How about some electricity or a pack of dobermans. It would be especially sweet to find some smoking and scortched Cowboys fans clutching onto that fence at sun-up on gameday. I'm all for that.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Goal Posts

Great question. The team hadn't thought about it. We expect to score a lot of TD's this year and then maybe we'll go for "two".

8ndkorner

Registered
Reaction score
The tray doesn't look deep enough to support the goal posts. And when the stadium is used for other events I don't think it will be permanently mounted just past the tray.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
8ndkorner said:
The tray doesn't look deep enough to support the goal posts. And when the stadium is used for other events I don't think it will be permanently mounted just past the tray.

here you go

You must be registered for see images

Stallion

Cats, Cards, Bax, Suns
Reaction score
Thanks for the links guys. Them feriners have some really cool stadia. :)

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Is it me, or do you see some receiver making a TD catch in the south end zone and running off the fricken 3' drop at the end of the playing field . . . field still seems too small to me, for some reason.

In this rendering, there seems to be more "field" in the south end zone than the photo of the real field in the stadium.

Last edited:

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott MS said:
Is it me, or do you see some receiver making a TD catch in the south end zone and running off the fricken 3' drop at the end of the playing field . . . field still seems too small to me, for some reason.

In this rendering, there seems to be more "field" in the south end zone than the photo of the real field in the stadium.

i dunno about the field. But there sure isnt very much CArdinal Red in that artists rendering. :shrug:

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bankybruce said:
here you go

Look at that air gap where the tray slides in! My mom would have had a cow when she saw all that air conditioned air going out an open door. "Do you think we can afford to air condition all of Scottdale?!" she would have yelled.

Good times.

The Shark

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott MS said:

Scott, have you ever built your own house? My wife and I built 2 and after the pad is poured, and the rooms take shape, you swear everything is too small.

The field looks small to me too but I'm sure it will seem huge once we are in there.