OP
OP
ajcardfan

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
I'd also guess that both Jackson and Redmond are far better in blitz protection than Shipp ever was, which could be the clincher once it gets down to brass tacks.

After 75 posts in this thread, kerouac shows he's a mere mortal, and makes a guess as to who will make the team. Just like the rest of us. Finally, the "folk troubador" has become a man of the people! :D

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
After 75 posts in this thread, kerouac shows he's a mere mortal, and makes a guess as to who will make the team. Just like the rest of us. Finally, the "folk troubador" has become a man of the people! :D

:thumbup:

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
I'd also guess that both Jackson and Redmond are far better in blitz protection than Shipp ever was, which could be the clincher once it gets down to brass tacks.

Guess? You've seen enough of their play to know this? Do you really believe they will put Shipp (or whomever is the #2 back) out there every time they have a pass play?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
Guess? You've seen enough of their play to know this? Do you really believe they will put Shipp (or whomever is the #2 back) out there every time they have a pass play?

Well, I know that Jackson played in Cleveland, where the O-line didn't block and they didn't throw to their RBs, so I guess that he must've been doing something in that backfield. I also know that J.R. was a third-down back for the Raiders, and he wasn't going out into patterns every time he was on the field. He also played on that pass-wacky Pats team when they won their first Super Bowl, so I figure he might have had some instruction then.

I actually do think that they'll put the #2 back in every time they have a pass play where Arrington isn't going to go out into a pattern, at least for the first quarter or so of the season. Arrington didn't get asked to pass block much at Cal, and he's a little small. It's going to take some time for him to figure it out.

But it's possible that when we go into one-back sets, 'Femi will be on the field, so it might not be that big a deal, anyway.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Arrington didn't get asked to pass block much at Cal, and he's a little small. It's going to take some time for him to figure it out.

Actually all 3 RB's are hovering at or around 215 lbs. Still doesnt mean JJ is a good pass blocker though.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Actually all 3 RB's are hovering at or around 215 lbs. Still doesnt mean JJ is a good pass blocker though.

Right, but J.J.'s also two inches shorter than Shipp and Redmond, four inches shorter than Hambrick, and an inch shorter than Jackson. So it's kind of size and experience.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Well, I know that Jackson played in Cleveland, where the O-line didn't block and they didn't throw to their RBs, so I guess that he must've been doing something in that backfield.

12 Carries is doing something??????

:biglaugh:

BTW: K9 have you ever actually been to a Cardinals football game or is your experience limited to what you've seen on TV? Just curious.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
12 Carries is doing something??????

:biglaugh:

BTW: K9 have you ever actually been to a Cardinals football game or is your experience limited to what you've seen on TV? Just curious.

He averaged 6.8 YPC on those 12 carries, which is not a whole lot to sneeze at. He had the best average on the team, ahead of Lee Suggs and William Green. I'm not saying the guy is a world-beater (I never have), I'm just saying that he may be better than a guy that hasn't scored a TD in three seasons and is coming off a catastrophic injury. That's all he really needs to do, isn't it?

And, yes, I've been to many a Cardinals football game. I went to every game for two years in 2001-2002, I think, and then went to a handful of games in 2003, and then watched every game in 2004, tho' I was away at school during football season. I don't see possibly what difference that makes, tho. It's probable that a lot of people don't see how profoundly average a guy like Marcel Shipp really is because they're at too many games and don't get to see the games on TV and around the NFL and understand what bona fide NFL players look like.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
He averaged 6.8 YPC on those 12 carries, which is not a whole lot to sneeze at. He had the best average on the team, ahead of Lee Suggs and William Green. I'm not saying the guy is a world-beater (I never have), I'm just saying that he may be better than a guy that hasn't scored a TD in three seasons and is coming off a catastrophic injury. That's all he really needs to do, isn't it?

And, yes, I've been to many a Cardinals football game. I went to every game for two years in 2001-2002, I think, and then went to a handful of games in 2003, and then watched every game in 2004, tho' I was away at school during football season. I don't see possibly what difference that makes, tho. It's probable that a lot of people don't see how profoundly average a guy like Marcel Shipp really is because they're at too many games and don't get to see the games on TV and around the NFL and understand what bona fide NFL players look like.

People have no clue what bonafide NFL players look like until they have watched a game in person from the lower level.

Put up the bucks to get a seat behind home plate and watch the pitchers at a MLBaseball game and you'll see what I mean. No comparison with what you see on TV.

TIVO all you want it can't compare to actually seeing the guys play 100 feet away.

BTW: I'm not saying he's a world beater, which he isn't, but Marcel has three times as many TD's over the last 3 seasons as Jackson and Redmond combined.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
People have no clue what bonafide NFL players look like until they have watched a game in person from the lower level.

Put up the bucks to get a seat behind home plate and watch the pitchers at a MLBaseball game and you'll see what I mean. No comparison with what you see on TV.

TIVO all you want it can't compare to actually seeing the guys play 100 feet away.

BTW: I'm not saying he's a world beater, which he isn't, but Marcel has three times as many TD's over the last 3 seasons as Jackson and Redmond combined.

Ooohhh, I think you're wrong. There's a reason that you never hear about scouts showing up at games to scout players in football. You can't get an idea about angles, player position, or technique across the board in person (especially not at especially-far-from-the-action SDS) that you can on video.

And there's no way that you can see pitches and breaks and all the other good stuff you get on TV when you watch a ball game as you see on TV.

For the experience, I totally agree with you. I'd much rather be at a game than sitting at home watching it--I'm going to go to the Cards-49ers game in December. But to say that you can get a better evaluation of players in person than you can on TV is totally idiotic. ESPECIALLY when you're talking about line play.

As for #31: Yeah, but over last last 2 seasons, they've all scored the same amount of TDs, haven't they? And you can't talk about the Marcel in this camp like he's the same Marcel Shipp that showed up to camp in August 2004, because he's not. He's a guy that hasn't played football in over a year and a half, hasn't scored a TD in 30 months, and coming off a serious ankle/foot injury. At least you have tape on Jackson and Redmond and you're getting basically the same player this season that you got last. You have no idea what you're getting in Marcel Shipp, except for the high probability that he's not a better player after a year of inaction and a catastrophic injury.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Ooohhh, I think you're wrong. There's a reason that you never hear about scouts showing up at games to scout players in football. You can't get an idea about angles, player position, or technique across the board in person (especially not at especially-far-from-the-action SDS) that you can on video.

And there's no way that you can see pitches and breaks and all the other good stuff you get on TV when you watch a ball game as you see on TV.

For the experience, I totally agree with you. I'd much rather be at a game than sitting at home watching it--I'm going to go to the Cards-49ers game in December. But to say that you can get a better evaluation of players in person than you can on TV is totally idiotic. ESPECIALLY when you're talking about line play.

As for #31: Yeah, but over last last 2 seasons, they've all scored the same amount of TDs, haven't they? And you can't talk about the Marcel in this camp like he's the same Marcel Shipp that showed up to camp in August 2004, because he's not. He's a guy that hasn't played football in over a year and a half, hasn't scored a TD in 30 months, and coming off a serious ankle/foot injury. At least you have tape on Jackson and Redmond and you're getting basically the same player this season that you got last. You have no idea what you're getting in Marcel Shipp, except for the high probability that he's not a better player after a year of inaction and a catastrophic injury.

Never show up at games? That's all scouts do is travel across the country going to football games. It's basing decisions on 40 times and tv tape that leads to all the goofball draftpicks and trades.

And being a longtime baseball/fastpitch softball player I know for a fact that the #1 spot for scouts at a game is behind home plate.

To scout schemes, coverages player positioning etc you want to be up high but to really see if a guy can play football you've got to be up close and personal.

As for Marcel who cares. There are 100 guys who can do what he does. Like my old favorite Ron Moore used to do. The Cards have had too many Shipps over the last 15 years and next to crappy coaching hires it is the top reason they have lost every season.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
I actually do think that they'll put the #2 back in every time they have a pass play where Arrington isn't going to go out into a pattern, at least for the first quarter or so of the season. .

That sounds familiar. You'll probably run on the first two plays, get 3 yards and then face a third and long every time also. Welcome to the wonderful world of 2003 Cardinals offense. Be sure to telegraph every play so the other team will know what's coming. :rolleyes:

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RobbleRobble said:
James Jackson is a University of Miami alum. His famous quote when he was still on the Browns was that he declared himself "the next Edgerrin James". That didn't really work out too well for him......

With an attitude adjustment, he could have been the next Edgerrin James. That is probably the only factor that prevented him. Jackson is a blazer with great hands. Seriously, the dude can run inside also. I see him making this team easily and getting plenty of carries. If Denny gets James' head on just right, the fans will be freaking on JJ ( not Arrington). Don't be quick to judge his Brown's performance as his best effort. That was a Butch Davis offense, which was a joke. This signing is a steal. Go Cardinal / Canes connection.

P.S. In Miami, they will not let you line up at RB in a game until you learn blitz pick ups and blocking. Jackson played FB for a year , just like the rest of them did.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
That sounds familiar. You'll probably run on the first two plays, get 3 yards and then face a third and long every time also. Welcome to the wonderful world of 2003 Cardinals offense. Be sure to telegraph every play so the other team will know what's coming. :rolleyes:

You're right, 40. This is exactly what I'm saying. :rolleyes:

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Jackson and Redmon are experienced, and are also at the point in their careers where they need to live up to their hype or go home. Going into camp, I'm excited to see so much competition at that spot. Let the best players win.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan