Cards vs Steelers

Reaction score
Hey guys Steelers Fan here,

Just wanted to say Congrats to the AZ Cardinals for getting this far and breaking all predictions. You can't be mad at a Cinderella story. Your team deserves to be here, and there is no doubt in my mind that it is going to be one of the best Superbowls ever. We had our Cinderella in 2005-06 run when we were the constant underdogs so I know how it feels!

The reason I come here? Mostly to clear up curiosity. Curiosity you may have on my beloved Steelers and curiosity that I have on your beloved Cards. We had some visitors over at steelersfever.com and I couldn't really get any indepth conversations. So I come in peace and hope to get some good input from all you guys.

Thanks and heres to a good game.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
For the record Pi, I made every honest effort to engage in solid football discussion... Getting responses such as "go suck dick" and "********" are not normally considered to be solid football debate...

I will caution anyone on ASFN should you decided to head over to steelersfever.com. There are a few, but for the most part, they are simply not willing to candidly discuss this game... unless of course you are willing to submit and agree that it will be a joke of a game and that the Cards simply have no chance...

Amazingly, I am a 30 year Steeler fan. Actually said so in my first post, and still got nailed juvenile attacks...

:bang:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to ASFN. We expect our visitors to post with a bit of intelligence, and if we are lucky, a bit of punctuation.

Thank you for providing us with both. Good luck to your team.

Perfectionist

Objectively Correct
Reaction score
Welcome, and you will a lot of opportunity for indept conversation here. So far we are still basking in the glory of getting to the superbowl. Not much yet on the match ups of the Super Bowl. But it will be coming.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome.

I tried the same forum as well and gave up. The difference is here I can influence the trash talking :)

OP
OP
P
Reaction score
For the record Pi, I made every honest effort to engage in solid football discussion... Getting responses such as "go suck dick" and "********" are not normally considered to be solid football debate...

I will caution anyone on ASFN should you decided to head over to steelersfever.com. There are a few, but for the most part, they are simply not willing to candidly discuss this game... unless of course you are willing to submit and agree that it will be a joke of a game and that the Cards simply have no chance...

Amazingly, I am a 30 year Steeler fan. Actually said so in my first post, and still got nailed juvenile attacks...

Well come on now, Cardgrad you no know we all don't think that way. You my friend started on the wrong foot. I am here to talk football not talk about fans.

Now my biggest concern as a steelers fan is the dump off screen to one of RBs. Since our boys Harrison and Woodley like to over pursue sometimes. And our secondary will have their hands full with the WRs.

Perfectionist

Objectively Correct
Reaction score
Well come on now, Cardgrad you no know we all don't think that way. You my friend started on the wrong foot. I am here to talk football not talk about fans.

Now my biggest concern as a steelers fan is the dump off screen to one of RBs. Since our boys Harrison and Woodley like to over pursue sometimes. And our secondary will have their hands full with the WRs.

A lot will depend on how often you guys decide to blitz. I love when Warner dumps to JJ and he gets a chance to go upfield. Even James had success with the Eagles blitzing so much.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Associating the Cardinals and screen plays is a tenuous connect.

Like most plays we have been better at it recently but historically we wouldn't know a screen play if we saw one on offense

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hey, "Steeler"...

WELCOME!! "Class" fans are ALWAYS welcome here! I have often referenced the Steelers as a starting-point. I've been a Cards' fan for 41+ years and I know that neither team was really successful in the 60's. BUT then came the 70's Noll-era w/Bradshaw, Swann, Harris, Lambert, Ham, and the list goes on. Everything changed in the 70's and the Steelers have never looked back. I consider them a dark-horse every year for the Championship. That's why I look at the Cards now and see a similar starting-point. Stability in the front-office, a core group of hard-working players, and MOST important, EXCELLENT leadership on the side-lines. Add in a beautiful stadium to play in, a run to the Super Bowl, and ALOT of free-agents will be considering playing for the Redbirds. It's no longer, GOD HELP YOU, you're going to Arizona and your career is going to die. THANKFULLY, those days are gone.

As for the game itself?? I don't think the Cards are playing over-their-head. I think they have talent on both sides of the ball and they came together at the right time. Alot of this is about momentum and we clearly have it. Get the snowball up the hill (which is a bear to do) one more nudge, and when it starts rolling down-hill?? Well, you couldn't stop it if you tried. That being said, the Steelers are a force. It might be a close game or the Steelers may win by (10-20). Their "D" is that good! But the Cards have a shot. You can say you can STOP Fitz' but easier said the done. Add in that you've got an angry Boldin playing and he luvs' to hit. He's got (2) weeks to heal now and I think the old "Q" will take the field Sunday.
...And if you forget about Steve Breaston he'll keep the chains moving. The other thing I see is leadership at "key" spots. Warner @ QB/ "Edge" in the backfield/ Adrian Wilson @ safety/ and Karlos Dansby @ linebacker. We've got alot of young guys BUT leadership at the right spots.

For me, personally, it's all a little anti-climactic. Don't get me wrong. I am thrilled beyond words that the Cards in the Super Bowl. ...And I know NO ONE remembers who lost the BIG game. BUT...I grew up in CT. The years of taunting and abuse I took from the NFC EAST fans there was brutal. ...And that's an under-statement. So, to beat the Eagles was particularly satisfying for me. My point is, if the Cards lost to Philly the sentiment would've been, Hey, nice season, etc..... BUT, we WON the NFC!!:D We now have a Halas trophy for the showcase. We have (2), possibly (3) banners, that will be hanging from the rafters at UofP. We have ACHEIVED something! ...And it's especially sweet because EVERYONE said we couldn't do it! The confetti "celebration" at the end of the game will forever live in my memory. Life, and sports, is about "moments". So, win or lose, I've already experienced a dream come true. I will say this. The Steelers can make "history" with their 6th Super Bowl Victory. THAT IS AMAZING!! BUT if the Cards win?? They will be mentioned in the same breath with the 69' JETS. KOOL, huh?? Anyways, WELCOME. You'll find ALOT of GREAT people on here. Take Care! Mark :)

Spielman

Non-Troll Rams Fan
Reaction score
Associating the Cardinals and screen plays is a tenuous connect.

Like most plays we have been better at it recently but historically we wouldn't know a screen play if we saw one on offense

Or defense, too damn often. That's changed quite a bit too, though.

OP
OP
P
Reaction score
Ya what i saw exactly in the first half of the Eagles game that they over purseud .The second half it seemed that they re-adjusted to more coverage. The thing that worries me is that they have the athletic DT to do that. We have Casey " Big Snack" Hampton. LOL who is an ACE on run stopping, but pass rushing , he is pretty much obsolete. Our DE Keisel and Smith can hold their own. But running a 3-4 might hurt us in some situations. Were gunn ahave to strip a page from the Giants book, and try to occastrate a 4 man pass rush, like they did to brady.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
Welcome Pi Kapp Steeler, your corner backs, safeties and linebackers will have their hands full covering Fritz, Boldin, Breaston, Urban, Arrington, Hightower and Edge coming out of the backfield. These people are all capable of catching the ball and running with it when presented the opportunity to do so.

The number one defensive team against the number one offensive team in the playoffs. Should be a great game. There is no doubt that your great defense will sack Warner but not every time. Warner has a quick release and an uncanny ability to hit the receiver that has man-to-man coverage. But, I'm sure you know all that.

OP
OP
P
Reaction score
I think this might be the first real representation of a true offensive team vs a true defensive team. It will be exciting to watch. Although our offense is that bad either. If our rookie wide out decides to catch the ball *cough* sweed

OP
OP
P
Reaction score
you have to prepare for the unpredictable!! which is Ben. Everytime i watch the ben its usually go somethign like this, "yaaa, noo, yaa, noo, get rid of it , NICE!!" Can be kind of nerve reckin some times

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Cards O / Steelers D-- the key will be can Warner make the same kind of fast and correct decisions he did vs the Eagles.

Steelers O / Cards D -- Cards have been very good in stopping the run. Can they keep Ben in the pocket, and force him to be a good decision maker. His TD/INt ratio gets very shaky when forced to be a pocket, go through his progressions type of passer.

Special teams -- always the wildcard. Cards special teams have had high highs, but lows as well. Pitts seem to be more consistent.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
For me, personally, it's all a little anti-climactic. Don't get me wrong. I am thrilled beyond words that the Cards in the Super Bowl. ...And I know NO ONE remembers who lost the BIG game. BUT...I grew up in CT. The years of taunting and abuse I took from the NFC EAST fans there was brutal. ...And that's an under-statement. So, to beat the Eagles was particularly satisfying for me. My point is, if the Cards lost to Philly the sentiment would've been, Hey, nice season, etc..... BUT, we WON the NFC!!:D We now have a Halas trophy for the showcase. We have (2), possibly (3) banners, that will be hanging from the rafters at UofP. We have ACHEIVED something! ...And it's especially sweet because EVERYONE said we couldn't do it! The confetti "celebration" at the end of the game will forever live in my memory. Life, and sports, is about "moments". So, win or lose, I've already experienced a dream come true. I will say this. The Steelers can make "history" with their 6th Super Bowl Victory. THAT IS AMAZING!! BUT if the Cards win?? They will be mentioned in the same breath with the 69' JETS. KOOL, huh?? Anyways, WELCOME. You'll find ALOT of GREAT people on here. Take Care! Mark :)

You are so right. Well put! My feelings to the tee...

Preacher

Rookie
Reaction score

Grow up.

You came over and trolled.

If anyone comes over and is as respectful as most of the people are here, there is no problem. Go read the posts by the Ravens fans... and they are our hated rivals.

The problem is when people don't want to see the bias coming in the other direction.

I am here for that particular purpose. I want to see what people think of their own team. I understand that they will be biased for the Cards. You came off thinking the Steelers fans should be biased towards the Cards as well.

Preacher

Rookie
Reaction score
For me, personally, it's all a little anti-climactic. Don't get me wrong. I am thrilled beyond words that the Cards in the Super Bowl. ...And I know NO ONE remembers who lost the BIG game. BUT...I grew up in CT. The years of taunting and abuse I took from the NFC EAST fans there was brutal. ...And that's an under-statement. So, to beat the Eagles was particularly satisfying for me. My point is, if the Cards lost to Philly the sentiment would've been, Hey, nice season, etc..... BUT, we WON the NFC!!:D We now have a Halas trophy for the showcase. We have (2), possibly (3) banners, that will be hanging from the rafters at UofP. We have ACHEIVED something! ...And it's especially sweet because EVERYONE said we couldn't do it! The confetti "celebration" at the end of the game will forever live in my memory. Life, and sports, is about "moments". So, win or lose, I've already experienced a dream come true. I will say this. The Steelers can make "history" with their 6th Super Bowl Victory. THAT IS AMAZING!! BUT if the Cards win?? They will be mentioned in the same breath with the 69' JETS. KOOL, huh?? Anyways, WELCOME. You'll find ALOT of GREAT people on here. Take Care! Mark

I think the other thing that makes this game a bit anticlimactic is the fact that win or lose, there is 5 months before we see them all together again in pads.

43Hitman

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Grow up.

You came over and trolled.

If anyone comes over and is as respectful as most of the people are here, there is no problem. Go read the posts by the Ravens fans... and they are our hated rivals.

The problem is when people don't want to see the bias coming in the other direction.

I am here for that particular purpose. I want to see what people think of their own team. I understand that they will be biased for the Cards. You came off thinking the Steelers fans should be biased towards the Cards as well.

Well said Preach. My thoughts exactly. Dude came over saying the cards were gonna have us down by 21 in the first quarter or whatever. What the hell did he think was gonna happen. Thumping your chest on our boards will get you no where fast.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
I can't decide whether or not I'd be more shocked if we won or lost. I mean c'mon, we shouldn't really have a chance considering the way the season has played out and the competition. At the same time, I just don't see anyone beating this team right now.
I dunno. I'd take the under. Points are going to be hard to come by for both teams.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I've seen prediction of the Steelers winning 31-20, or them scoring 40+ points. I just don't see it, the Steelers defense may hold the Cards offense to 20 or so points but I just don't see the Steelers scoring 30+ unless their defense or special teams scores.

I'm out of the business of making predictions but I have a feeling we will see a very good and very close football game that will be undecided going in to the 4th quarter.