CBS Likes the Cards’ Offseason

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Agree, Monti didn't panic and try to fix everything in one year, which would have been impossible.

NFL so difficult to sustain success though.

I don't doubt that MO can get us to 10 wins by next year.

But does he have the vision and skill to keep the team over .500 for the five years after that?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Agree, Monti didn't panic and try to fix everything in one year, which would have been impossible.

But does he have the vision and skill to keep the team over .500 for the five years after that?
What’s the 2024 result that would cause you to doubt Monti and Gannon? Doesn’t have to be W/L.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
hmmm.. probably an offense outside of the top 10 in the league (by the end of the year). Something is not working if we're not at least that good on that side of the ball.

How about you?
I’m not coming from a place of high faith to begin with; it’s a different question for me.

I think I’ll be impressed and they can earn my faith/prove they deserve the benefit of the doubt by finishing in the top 12 offensively and 20th or better defensively. Scoring, not yardage.

They’ve illustrated they have a theory of the case and a robust practice for that theory. They seem to know ball. Im skeptical their theory is correct, but I’m constantly wrong about stuff.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
hmmm.. probably an offense outside of the top 10 in the league (by the end of the year). Something is not working if we're not at least that good on that side of the ball.

How about you?
I think the Cardinals are going to have a stretch where they will be one of the best offenses in the league...but they will lose some games they should win because of the defense.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
How would you articulate their theory, and what part of it makes you skeptical?
From a roster-building standpoint, I think it's a consistent effort to shop in the scratch-and-dent bin. There's been no pressure for the past two years, but that will mount over time. As a fan, I don't want to wait.

Maybe Darius Robinson ends up better than Zach Allen; maybe Max Melton ends up better than Byron Murphy. I'm certain that both Allen and Murphy are better than Justin Jones and Sean Murphy-Bunting, respectively. But I had to watch Phil Hoskins and Starling Thomas III play snaps for my team, and we're gonna have to play pretty good to make up for that.

Same with the old draft class. Darius Robinson will be 24 when the season kicks off (he's nine months and 12 days younger than Cam Thomas); so will Tip Reiman. Elijah Jones played 60 college football games. When these guys' rookie contracts are up, they're going to be older than Budda Baker is right now. Hopefully that means that they're ready to play faster than, say, BJ Ojulari, but it also means they're likely maxed out or close to maxed in development.

From a coaching perspective, I don't really know what the core values are, because these guys mostly talk in platitudes. It's hard for me to separate what they actually do from what people talk about them doing/imposing a narrative. I'm pretty sure in the NFL you run when you win, not the other way around. But we passed plenty last year -- 44% of our offense were rushes (per PFR). People I like and trust say that the offense and defense were doing fun and interesting things constrained by bad personnel; I have no reason to dispute that.

I think Nick Rallis is a cool dude; I think Jonathan Gannon is a try hard. I also know I don't really have enough information to judge these dudes' real character. Everyone is saying the right thing, so you just have to judge the results on the field.

Results so far are 4-12.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Disagree that this should have been the goal. 3-year turnarounds when you supposedly have a good quarterback shouldn't be a thing in the NFL. Had we done a little more, we could have been there this season. Not a top team, and not a team without some holes to fill, but a solid 10-win playoff team.

I do like that we're trending upwards and the vibes around the team are good, but we went pretty conservative.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
From a roster-building standpoint, I think it's a consistent effort to shop in the scratch-and-dent bin. There's been no pressure for the past two years, but that will mount over time. As a fan, I don't want to wait.

Maybe Darius Robinson ends up better than Zach Allen; maybe Max Melton ends up better than Byron Murphy. I'm certain that both Allen and Murphy are better than Justin Jones and Sean Murphy-Bunting, respectively. But I had to watch Phil Hoskins and Starling Thomas III play snaps for my team, and we're gonna have to play pretty good to make up for that.

Same with the old draft class. Darius Robinson will be 24 when the season kicks off (he's nine months and 12 days younger than Cam Thomas); so will Tip Reiman. Elijah Jones played 60 college football games. When these guys' rookie contracts are up, they're going to be older than Budda Baker is right now. Hopefully that means that they're ready to play faster than, say, BJ Ojulari, but it also means they're likely maxed out or close to maxed in development.

From a coaching perspective, I don't really know what the core values are, because these guys mostly talk in platitudes. It's hard for me to separate what they actually do from what people talk about them doing/imposing a narrative. I'm pretty sure in the NFL you run when you win, not the other way around. But we passed plenty last year -- 44% of our offense were rushes (per PFR). People I like and trust say that the offense and defense were doing fun and interesting things constrained by bad personnel; I have no reason to dispute that.

I think Nick Rallis is a cool dude; I think Jonathan Gannon is a try hard. I also know I don't really have enough information to judge these dudes' real character. Everyone is saying the right thing, so you just have to judge the results on the field.

Results so far are 4-12.
You are correct, sir. There's an aversion to spending money. I wonder who might be behind that?

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Disagree that this should have been the goal. 3-year turnarounds when you supposedly have a good quarterback shouldn't be a thing in the NFL. Had we done a little more, we could have been there this season. Not a top team, and not a team without some holes to fill, but a solid 10-win playoff team.

I do like that we're trending upwards and the vibes around the team are good, but we went pretty conservative.

I'd plead for leniency for the new leadership group considering they inherited a Superfund site (copyright kerouac9)! haha.

What I really hope for Stout, is that MO is one of these like, "new generation" of GMs, that has pretty much a scientific approach to building a roster and managing draft and financial capital. Emotion taking a backseat to what the data says is best for the team long term!

Thanks and hope you're otherwise doing well my friend! :)