Coach D...

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's the 4th Quarter and you are up by more than 30 points PUT IN YOUR RESERVES!

He just put Marion back in the game. What is he doing?

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
binkar said:
It's the 4th Quarter and you are up by more than 30 points PUT IN YOUR RESERVES!

He just put Marion back in the game. What is he doing?

What reserves? We have reserves?

AZZenny

Reaction score
If this doesn't qualify as a blowout... :shrug:
I saw all bench on the floor for a bit there - but if D'A doesn't feel comfortable handing the bench guys a 35 point lead, then this bench is even worse than we imagine - or D'A has an irrational benchophobia.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
If this doesn't qualify as a blowout... :shrug:
I saw all bench on the floor for a bit there - but if D'A doesn't feel comfortable handing the bench guys a 35 point lead, then this bench is even worse than we imagine - or D'A has an irrational benchophobia.

You're right,

The bench is horrible.

goldseraph

Irrelevance Sucks :(
Reaction score
Look at our bench , besides J Jack there's nobody. I dont know if we could even field a team without one of our starters out there.

OP
OP
binkar

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That is kind of the point. Because our bench is so week our starters MUST get rest once in awhile. I don't think any team in the league has a bad enough bench to blow a 30 point lead.

My3Suns

Rookie
Reaction score
binkar said:
That is kind of the point. Because our bench is so week our starters MUST get rest once in awhile. I don't think any team in the league has a bad enough bench to blow a 30 point lead.

Would you risk testing your theory with our bench. I personally wouldn't. Imagine if he did insert the bench for the entire 4th quarter and we lost that huge lead.Then you try to throw our starters back out there.The starters wouldn't have their rythem and on top of that the momentum of the game would be in favor of the Twolves.

Some chances you just dont take especially with a young team like this. Alot of our success is because our players are playing with alot of confidence. The T'wolves announcer touched on the subject as well.

The whole point is once you gain momentum never try to slow down.

OP
OP
binkar

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My3Suns said:
Would you risk testing your theory with our bench. I personally wouldn't. Imagine if he did insert the bench for the entire 4th quarter and we lost that huge lead.Then you try to throw our starters back out there.The starters wouldn't have their rythem and on top of that the momentum of the game would be in favor of the Twolves.

Some chances you just dont take especially with a young team like this. Alot of our success is because our players are playing with alot of confidence. The T'wolves announcer touched on the subject as well.

The whole point is once you gain momentum never try to slow down.

I really hope you are joking. Give me the 5 worst players in the NBA and they don't lose more than a 30 point lead in a quarter. 30 points is a great offensive quarter. What are the chances of them scoring say 36 points and our bench scoring 0 points the entire quarter? Not to be a jerk, but that is a pretty ridiculous post.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Give me the 5 worst players in the NBA and they don't lose more than a 30 point lead in a quarter.

You're talking like no one has ever been outscored by 30 in a quarter before. It's not that uncommon.

OP
OP
binkar

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am sure it has happened before, but of course it is uncommon. I would like to see some stats on that just out of curiosity.

Regardless, my point was having Smush, Bo, Paul, Jake (even though that is an extremely pathetic lineup) and anyone else in the game would not have lost us the game (or even close to that). I don't see how you support having our starters who average about 40 minutes a night still in the 4th quarter when we are up by over 30 points. Especially after playing the night before and being at the end of a 6 game road trip.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
binkar said:
I am sure it has happened before, but of course it is uncommon. I would like to see some stats on that just out of curiosity.

Regardless, my point was having Smush, Bo, Paul, Jake (even though that is an extremely pathetic lineup) and anyone else in the game would not have lost us the game (or even close to that). I don't see how you support having our starters who average about 40 minutes a night still in the 4th quarter when we are up by over 30 points. Especially after playing the night before and being at the end of a 6 game road trip.

LOL, maybe my memory is bad, but didn't the bench make the last game against Minnesota on comfortably close in the fourth quarter? I thought that the Phoenix Suns were up by 20+ points with like five minutes left in that game, and D'Antoni had to reinsert his starting lineup because the game got so close in the last minute or two. And I thought that when they blew that lead they still had JJ or Shawn Marion in the game.

Don't forget that there is more to the game than just winning. I think it could be and probably would be a letdown for the team, especially the young players, to watch their bench get killed in the fourth quarter of a blowout game.

Joe

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Last night, Nash played only 26 minutes and Stoudemire only 29. Johnson and Richardson played big minutes, but other than that people didn't have to work too hard. So I don't see what the big deal is. I'm sure that Johnson and Richardson would also have played less if Barbosa had been available.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I think D'Antoni made a mistake going with wholesale changes against Toronto.

I think you can start working in the bench slowly but I don't think we have a bench that can hold the lead. Especially if the opponent has not emptied their bench.

I think it is a good idea to have the bench players work with some starters instead of throwing them all out there cold.