COPA

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Timmy H still looks in shape--let's tempt him out of retirement :D
If Mexico can keep calling Ochoa back I don't understand why we can't ask Tim. only joking. but we were lucky to have Tim for as long as we did. that throw out in the game vs Algeria in 2010 is one of the greatest plays in US history. that's what we need from our GK.

OP
OP
jbjarko

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just a very different mold of keeper now versus years past. Need to be much more active from the box.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Mexico can keep calling Ochoa back I don't understand why we can't ask Tim. only joking. but we were lucky to have Tim for as long as we did. that throw out in the game vs Algeria in 2010 is one of the greatest plays in US history. that's what we need from our GK.
Tim wasn't super great with his feet either. Better than Turner, but not much.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Tim wasn't super great with his feet either. Better than Turner, but not much.
don't agree. Tim wasn't great, but he was good enough to play in the PL as a starter. what I saw last night was the worst I've ever seen from any US GK. the only thing I can hope is that he was injured. but the fact that they let him kick the ball long as much as they did makes me believe that it wasn't because of injury. it was just not having the quality to do it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
don't agree. Tim wasn't great, but he was good enough to play in the PL as a starter. what I saw last night was the worst I've ever seen from any US GK. the only thing I can hope is that he was injured. but the fact that they let him kick the ball long as much as they did makes me believe that it wasn't because of injury. it was just not having the quality to do it.
He was good enough, because like jbjarko said, the game was different. Keepers didn't need to be sweeper keepers. They didn't need to play out of the back. They kicked the ball long after nearly every goal kick.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
He was good enough, because like jbjarko said, the game was different. Keepers didn't need to be sweeper keepers. They didn't need to play out of the back. They kicked the ball long after nearly every goal kick.

true, which is still something that turner cannot do. almost all of his long kicks are turnovers. some are very dangerous.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Brazil falls to Uruguay in Pens. Colombia destroy Panama 5-0. Looks like that 5-1 beatdown on USA in that friendly was no fluke, nor was it a wake up call for the US team.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Another major disaster with fans rushing gates at a big game. I have friends there that fortunately got in and got people out of their seats. I’ve seen tweets saying people with tickets can’t get in now and security is too overwhelmed to kick people out of seats that aren’t theirs.

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Messi out at the 66th minute due to fall. Hate to see that.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
While I watch basically zero soccer, did catch a bit of both games. They were fun to watch, very intense at times. I just can’t get past the flopping these guys do. They lay on the field like their foot was caught in a bear trap.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
While I watch basically zero soccer, did catch a bit of both games. They were fun to watch, very intense at times. I just can’t get past the flopping these guys do. They lay on the field like their foot was caught in a bear trap.
the faking of injuries to waste time or to embellish a foul to earn a card is what bothers me. that needs to be punished more. every time Fifa or the various agencies try to crack down on it they eventually back off of it and let it continue to happen. many of the football leagues have cracked down by improving the added time to stop people from time wasting. and it has worked some. in the Euro final, Spain were wasting time in extra time by faking injuries and the ref added no time for it. I thought that was shambolic and shows how poor a lot of these refs are for letting players get away with it.

speaking of flopping, it happens in a lot of sports. NFL and NHL like to talk about how tough they are, yet they flop to draw penalties all the time.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Hey, mine's looked like that a few times before needing more surgery. Let's hope he doesn't have to go through what I did!
hopefully its just a sprain. It would be cool to see Messi play in the World Cup again. he's such a legend.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Another major disaster with fans rushing gates at a big game. I have friends there that fortunately got in and got people out of their seats. I’ve seen tweets saying people with tickets can’t get in now and security is too overwhelmed to kick people out of seats that aren’t theirs.
I have to say this Copa america was a big disappointment. In the end the top two teams played in the final.

But US Soccer was embarrassing. Our pitch surfaces were embarrassing, the lack of security and preparation is embarrassing.