Coro says this may be the Suns we see next season!

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown
but do people want to pay for mediocre? i wouldn't. i would be more likely to buy tix to see a young team that's losing, but be excited about watching the growth and development, than watching a team that might be winning more often, but whom i know has little chance of truly competing with the big boys.
You must be registered for see images

imo you SHOULD have two types of teams in the nba, either a contender or a team building for a contender. if you're not a contender, as the suns seem to accept, they should be building for a contender, and signing aging players that will not be around when the building is complete makes no sense and stunts the growth of the rebuild. i mean, what is the goal for this team at present?
You must be registered for see images

Elindholm said:
News flash: You aren't the Suns' target audience. The Suns think they'll sell more tickets with 50-and-fade than with a suicidal fire sale. We can debate which makes more sense for the long-term competitiveness of the franchise, but from a financial standpoint, they are probably correct.
I agree , no matter how much it infuriates me as a SUNS fan you're right E.
I'm going to have to adopt the mindset of a sheep in order to enjoy this upcoming season...I will try.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Like I said in another thread, the casual Suns fans I run into all say, "They better not lose Steve Nash!" I try and go into it with them, but they just know how much Steve has done in the past and all the PR about Nash. So the Suns can't kill the golden goose.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Pretty simple - avoiding the embarrassment of handing over the top pick in next year's NBA Draft to the blossoming powerhouse in Oklahoma City. If we have our pick in 2010 then I'd be willing to bet that Amare, Nash, and Hill would no longer be on the roster and you'd see a lot of 25 and under prospects getting valuable burn in anticipation of a 2011 or 2012 free agent spending spree (aka the Chris Paul/Deron Williams Sweepstakes) .

Absolutely.

You can't underemphasize the significance of this. If the Suns stink this year and end up with a top 3 pick Sarver's house of cards will implode.

That would be the crowning glory to a long list of embarrassing moves and would absolutely destroy this franchise.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Well, here's hoping that Channing Frye turns out to be the second coming of Bill Russell for the Suns! ;)

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
With grant hill re-signed, wallace bought out at 10M, earl clark signed, channing frye signed, and pavs full contract, Hoopshype has us at $64,844,007, with Nash's option picked up we're at $77.9M, with 12 players signed.

Tax starts at about $70M

If we sign Taylor Griffin that puts us at the 14 players and around $79M. If we buy out Pavs we are at ~$75.5M and at the 13 player min.

Most of our MLE was used on Hill and Frye, so I see our only options to get a center and/or backup PG as the Vet Min, the LLE, Pavs contract in a S&T and $2M trade exception from the shaq trade. I doubt we do anything, with the 1% chance we cut Griffin and get a vet min, as the league pays for a portion.

Nash/Dragic
JRich/Barbs/Tucker
Hill/Dudley/Griffin
Amare/Lou/Clark
Frye/Lopez

This is your 2009 Phoenix Suns, with $5.5M paid in tax

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
With grant hill re-signed, wallace bought out at 10M, earl clark signed, channing frye signed, and pavs full contract, Hoopshype has us at $64,844,007, with Nash's option picked up we're at $77.9M, with 12 players signed.

Tax starts at about $70M

If we sign Taylor Griffin that puts us at the 14 players and around $79M. If we buy out Pavs we are at ~$75.5M and at the 13 player min.

Most of our MLE was used on Hill and Frye, so I see our only options to get a center and/or backup PG as the Vet Min, the LLE, Pavs contract in a S&T and $2M trade exception from the shaq trade. I doubt we do anything, with the 1% chance we cut Griffin and get a vet min, as the league pays for a portion.

Nash/Dragic
JRich/Barbs/Tucker
Hill/Dudley/Griffin
Amare/Lou/Clark
Frye/Lopez

This is your 2009 Phoenix Suns, with $5.5M paid in tax

What a mess. I really wish we would not have re-signed Nash and we could have traded Amare to OKC for Green/Collison/#1. We'd still be a mess, but we'd have our #1 back as well as cap space by letting Nash walk and losing Collison next year. I'd rather start over with Green, Barbosa, Clark, a high #1, bench/youth in Dragic, Dudley, Lou and Lopez than to constantly trying to bridge a gap. At some point, we have to accept being in a hole and working our way out of it. No more bridging a gap!!!!

trueherotillman

Registered
Reaction score
What a mess. I really wish we would not have re-signed Nash and we could have traded Amare to OKC for Green/Collison/#1. We'd still be a mess, but we'd have our #1 back as well as cap space by letting Nash walk and losing Collison next year. I'd rather start over with Green, Barbosa, Clark, a high #1, bench/youth in Dragic, Dudley, Lou and Lopez than to constantly trying to bridge a gap. At some point, we have to accept being in a hole and working our way out of it. No more bridging a gap!!!!

OKC should be vastly improved next year. Another year under their belt in the Midwest, players getting comfortable with their surroundings. I agree that we can't keep bridging a gap, however i dont think Green and a #1 would be enough for Amare AND not resigining Nash.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
More like Green, our #1, and throw everything we can at Lebron James! :)

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
More like Green, our #1, and throw everything we can at Lebron James! :)
Then we'd have to bring back Shaq to play alongside Lebron, as Cleveland has done, because Lebron without a legitimate starting Center didn't do it for the Cavs.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Then we'd have to bring back Shaq to play alongside Lebron, as Cleveland has done, because Lebron without a legitimate starting Center didn't do it for the Cavs.

You saying Ilgauskus isn't a legitimate starting Center in the league? That's pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Well it's still a Suns team so I'll root for them. I've seen worse (98/99 roster). Hope we get to the playoffs so OKC don't get a high pick and that Gentry plays our youngsters a lot!

GO SUNS!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
You saying Ilgauskus isn't a legitimate starting Center in the league? That's pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

I think what we've learned is that BC's definition of "legitimate center" is "one who wins a championship.". Thus someone like Bill Cartwright qualifies, but Ilgauskas and Patrick Ewing do not.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm guessing he meant a center that won't get pushed around like a PF in the lane even though he can shoot the 15-20 footer with ease.
I consider Z a legit center, but not the type i'd build my team around if given the choice between Euro good passer, jump shooting 7 footer...
or
a rebounding,defensive juggernaut with a few goto moves around the rim.
Thats just me...

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think what we've learned is that BC's definition of "legitimate center" is "one who wins a championship.". Thus someone like Bill Cartwright qualifies, but Ilgauskas and Patrick Ewing do not.

You mean like Luc Longley?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder why Luc Longley never won Phoenix a Championship. :rolleyes:

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
More from Coro:
The last line is priceless.
Camp is about to start. Cardinals, that is. The Suns go camping in San Diego in two months. Until then, the Suns information comes in morsels. Such as:

* It sounds like Steve Nash will be making things official on his extension Monday. There was the obvious paperwork to sign and some physical examination to do. The latter is probably a safeguard, considering that the extension is uninsured because of his age.

* Their returns were likely anyway but would you have felt stronger about Alvin Gentry getting a head coach contract done and Grant Hill getting a new contract done if you knew they had become investors in the third Majerle's Sports Grill in Goodyear? The third establishment with Suns assistant coach Dan Majerle's name is opening Monday west of Dysart and McDowell. The second one, in Chandler, included Suns broadcast analyst Scott Williams as an investor. The downtown one was once ranked by Sports Illustrated as one of the nation's top 25 sports bars.

* Lots of names get tossed around for the Suns' 13th roster spot (well, 14th until Sasha Pavlovic is waived or traded). It's probably going to be a while, unless some quality player steps forth and says he wants to play in Phoenix for the minimum. The expectation is that the Suns will go with a point guard or center when they do make a choice, with a big seeming more likely. Goran Dragic was not fabulous in his first NBA Summer League appearance but all they want is to be able to rest Nash for 18 minutes a game. Of course, that's all Mike D'Antoni, Terry Porter and Alvin Gentry have wanted to do. Gentry has some the closest, getting him down to 33.2 per game after the All-Star break with the aid of being out of it at the end. The Suns might need an emergency banger, who can throw a big body against post-up players and rebound because Lou Amundson is the only Suns frontcourt player who is considered to be a strong rebounder. The interesting dynamic to consider is whether they land a quality guy and try to wedge him into the rotation or aim for a role player who will not be an issue if he is not playing. The Suns could bring some non-guaranteed guys, like summer point guard Zabian Dowdell, to camp and preseason and see who gets waived elsewhere before opening night. Taylor Griffin, 10 for 32 in Vegas, didn't seem to help his cause for the spot.

* Is it too late to talk summer league? It ended a week ago tonight but perhaps not enough was said about the job Earl Clark did on top pick Blake Griffin in that last game on Sunday. The best thing Clark showed all week was his defensive versatility but he saved his best defense for last. If Griffin made a shot, it was a tough contested one or it was against someone else because Clark was rotating to another man or resting on the bench. He didn't let Griffin get where he wanted. He stopped his attempts to drive. He blocked a lean-back jumper. He fronted him on the post. He denied and thwarted alleyoop tries. On the other end, Clark averaged 11.3 points and shot 38 percent. He still showed a propensity to take long two-point jumpers and to get stuck in the air when he drives. Well-coach defensively, Clark might have a bigger transition coming offensively as he moves from the Louisville system, albeit a fast, pro-style one, to the freedom Phoenix's system will give him.

* All that said about Clark, a lasting summer league memory will be Clark inbounding the ball in backcourt to a referee, who had to dodge it as it rolled out of bounds. It wasn't like he didn't know the ball was live. The ref had just given it to him. It's right up there with Lopez hoisting a 3-pointer at the end of the last game and getting it counted because Kevin Pinkney intentionally goaltended it. Lopez called for the ball at the line and looked over to the bench for Majerle's approval but the coach was shaking hands with Anthony Houston, one of his assistants. The shot did have more of a chance than the 10-foot lefthanded hook Lopez tried earlier. Summer league is a place to experiment.

* Even though he did not start playing well until the second half of summer league, Dragic still ended up ranked fifth in assists per game (5.4). He also averaged 12.0 points, the best among the Suns' regulars (Alando Tucker led but only played one game by design to show his good health). On the flip side, Dragic was 0 for 6 on 3-pointers and averaged 3.2 turnovers per game. Dragic is in Slovenia now to train with his national team, which will play in the European Championship in September. We'll see how his court time works out now that Sasha Vujacic has joined a team that already had Beno Udrih.

* Matt Barnes landed in a good place. He will back up Rashard Lewis in Orlando and maybe get some other minutes in a smaller lineup. He will be on a better team and make more than he did with Phoenix, getting about $1.6 million with a player option for a second year. Barnes gives a team versatility and effort but just how many facial cringes will his on-court decisions draw from Stan Van Gundy? And who will Gentry yell at now when Nash messes up?
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/58693

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The expectation is that the Suns will go with a point guard or center when they do make a choice, with a big seeming more likely. Goran Dragic was not fabulous in his first NBA Summer League appearance but all they want is to be able to rest Nash for 18 minutes a game. Of course, that's all Mike D'Antoni, Terry Porter and Alvin Gentry have wanted to do. Gentry has some the closest, getting him down to 33.2 per game after the All-Star break with the aid of being out of it at the end. The Suns might need an emergency banger, who can throw a big body against post-up players and rebound because Lou Amundson is the only Suns frontcourt player who is considered to be a strong rebounder.

Some things never change. I read the article earlier but I couldn't find the link again. Thanks for posting it.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We missed him in his prime ;)

I'll never forget Danny Ainge's comment after Longley talked about being out being out on his own, and wanting to prove himself with a new team.

Ainge said he turned to an assistant and said, "Oh no, this guy thinks he is good."

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also:

Taylor Griffin, 10 for 32 in Vegas, didn't seem to help his cause for the spot.

Don't the Suns read scouting reports. Wait, I don't think there was any. What were the Suns thinking? They are not smarter than the other teams.

Also a SF. Just what the Suns needed.

Last edited:

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good take on E. Clarks defense though. It's too bad he's going to have to share minutes with Hill/Duds and also spend time at the 4 when Lopez/Frye can't stay on the floor.
I'd have rather seen Clark split minutes with Duds evenly at the 3.