Coro says this may be the Suns we see next season!

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Why the hell is the wallace/chandler deal a problem for sarver? Seriously I'm having a hard ass time trying to find the downside:

1) Money: Wallace has 1 yr 14 million, chandler has 2 years/24 million. I could understand if chandler had multiple years, but he has just one extra year. Don't know what wallace's buyout could be, but Money Bags sarver is saving how much, 12-14 million? If chandler is healthy isn't that worth it to make the suns a potentially dangerous team.

2) health: if the suns have serious concerns chandler's injury is longterm then i agree don't do the deal. otherwise what's the hold up? last year was the first time in 5 years he missed significant time, it's not like he has a history of injuries.

The only thing I can say is if we extend Amare, we need that money Chandler would be paid in that second year, or a free agent in the 2010 free agency period.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think we miss his girlfriend most of all.

Kerr and Co. are just slapping touch-up paint on a jalopy that needs a major overhaul. The sooner it gets done the sooner this team can start building back to contention again.

I think they will start rebuilding after next year, they don't want to trade Amar'e and Steve because they know:

1. They'll get garbage in return (see GS trade)

2. We will lose even more without them and give OKC the #1 pick potentially.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
2. We will lose even more without them and give OKC the #1 pick potentially.

This prospect makes me mad and would be a PR disaster for the Suns but the reality is that not having a draft pick makes it an easier choice for the Suns. They're better off waiting a year to go into full rebuild mode.

sunsallday

Registered
Reaction score
Why the hell is the wallace/chandler deal a problem for sarver? Seriously I'm having a hard ass time trying to find the downside:

1) Money: Wallace has 1 yr 14 million, chandler has 2 years/24 million. I could understand if chandler had multiple years, but he has just one extra year. Don't know what wallace's buyout could be, but Money Bags sarver is saving how much, 12-14 million? If chandler is healthy isn't that worth it to make the suns a potentially dangerous team.

2) health: if the suns have serious concerns chandler's injury is longterm then i agree don't do the deal? Otherwise what's the hold up? last year was the first time in 5 years he missed significant time, it's not like he has a history of injuries.

I am on the bandwagon that Sarver is a cheap bastard, but any GM would be afraid of trading for Chandler at this point because

1)He has become injury prone. Inside reports are saying that his explosiveness has severely diminished, his toe is a huge problem, and him failing the physical for the Hornet-OKC trade is a big red flag

2)If we sign him, who wants to pay him $12-14 million dollars only for him to go down with a serious injury and miss a ton of games? Not only is $12-14 million dollars too much for a center who is a liability on offense and is only a defender and rebounder, it eats away cap space and lowers our chances in the 2010 sweepstakes.

3)The Suns are probably looking for a cheap defensive center who can do dirty work or an expiring contract that expires in 2010 like Camby,

Personally, I think the Suns should go after Marcus Camby. You can say he is injury prone as well, but he was effective even at 34 when he played(he dominated the boards against Shaq and Amare and plays extremely well for his age). Plus, he will expire in 2010 and you can go after a free agent center or a nice wing player like Joe Johnson or Dwyane Wade. If we were to make Lopez our starting center after 2010, and failed to obtain a quality free agent in 2010, we could go after 2011 free agents.

A lineup of

Nash
Richardson
Hill
Amare
Camby is a very decent lineup

I was on the 'get Chandler'' wagon until I found out how serious his injuries were. He was very inconsistent last year and that doesn't make any sense when he was averaging basically 12 and 11 I believe the year before.

With Camby, you get a consistent rebounder, shotblocker, and defender.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Personally, I think the Suns should go after Marcus Camby.
I am not sure that either Camby or Kaman are still available now that the Clippers traded away Randolph. Even if they were willing to still trade Camby, you'd have to give them something back of significance and we simply do not have a lot of trade assets at this point. With Camby's expiring contract, there would be no reason for them to want Wallace.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I am not sure that either Camby or Kaman are still available now that the Clippers traded away Randolph. Even if they were willing to still trade Camby, you'd have to give them something back of significance and we simply do not have a lot of trade assets at this point. With Camby's expiring contract, there would be no reason for them to want Wallace.

I disagree to a point. The Clippers aren't going anywhere next year, making the year a time to get Blake Griffin and Erik Gordon lots of time. Camby eats up that time. Wallace allows the Clippers to not sacrifice playing time for the kids and also gives them some instant money savings. I'm not sure how Sterling would NOT love that.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I disagree to a point. The Clippers aren't going anywhere next year, making the year a time to get Blake Griffin and Erik Gordon lots of time. Camby eats up that time. Wallace allows the Clippers to not sacrifice playing time for the kids and also gives them some instant money savings. I'm not sure how Sterling would NOT love that.
I think Camby's salary for the upcoming season is about $10M, which is the amount of the reported Wallace buyout. So I don't see why they would do that unless they get something else in return.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Camby's salary for the upcoming season is about $10M, which is the amount of the reported Wallace buyout. So I don't see why they would do that unless they get something else in return.

The Suns really do not need another SF in Clark unless he is deemed a future star which I doubt. Send Clark and Wallace for Camby. This really helps the Suns defense and rebounding. It also gives the Suns a legitimate shot at returning to contender status now.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
man, this leadership is just crap.

"The Suns don't have have any illusions of winning the West over the Lakers or Spurs but feel they can be in the middle of the Western Conference playoff group with this team." - Coro's article

why do we root for a sports team? because we hope they can win. "winning" is generally defined by even the most casual fan as winning a championship. that is sole goal (from a sports perspective, not a business perspective) of putting together a team. when you play at the Y or the playground you're not looking to be decent, you hope your team wins. that's the intent. if the suns leadership doesn't think they can win the west (thank god they don't or i'd have to question even their basest of basic intelligence), and they know that nash and hill are aging, why sign them? if you scrap them and start the rebuilding program, yes, you won't win as many games, but you're rebuilding with an eye towards building for a championship. imo you SHOULD have two types of teams in the nba, either a contender or a team building for a contender. if you're not a contender, as the suns seem to accept, they should be building for a contender, and signing aging players that will not be around when the building is complete makes no sense and stunts the growth of the rebuild. i mean, what is the goal for this team at present?

and the team is just delusional.

"The original Phoenix Suns are back," he said. - Amare

what is he thinking? the original suns had a younger, dynamic, surprising steve nash compared to this older greater defensive liability version. the original suns had a blossoming star in jj verses an odd-ball fit in j-rich. the original suns had a brash athletic chucker at sf in Q verses an older, slowing down grant hill. the original suns had an undersized freak rebounding fool of a pf in shawn marion verses . . . um, who the hell is the pf now??? the current bench is likely a bit better (given that barbs is better than anyone we had on the original suns, including the resurgent jim jackson and i have to think that frye will be a better player than was hunter), but only by a bit. and even the nutball himself, amare, is a shell compared to his earlier nasty version, particularly defenisively. that's just crazy talk.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
if the suns leadership doesn't think they can win the west (thank god they don't or i'd have to question even their basest of basic intelligence), and they know that nash and hill are aging, why sign them?

I'm guessing this is rhetorical because we all pretty much know the answer but I'll bite. The economic climate is such that we have to put a competitive team on the floor. They simply cannot afford to start rebuilding right now. They especially can't afford to jettison one of the franchises most popular players ever in the name of starting over even *if* it would help the team most in the long run. Like it or not Nash is probably a Sun until he retires at which point he'll go up in the Ring of Honor then we'll start the rebuild process.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Also, once you get into the playoffs, you never know what can happen. Every team there is one key injury from being non-competitive. Celtics were a shoe-in until KG went down. Rockets played tough without Yao but didn't really have a chance. Maybe we squeak in and get a whole bunch of breaks, you never know, we're really due for a few.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm guessing this is rhetorical because we all pretty much know the answer but I'll bite. The economic climate is such that we have to put a competitive team on the floor. They simply cannot afford to start rebuilding right now. They especially can't afford to jettison one of the franchises most popular players ever in the name of starting over even *if* it would help the team most in the long run. Like it or not Nash is probably a Sun until he retires at which point he'll go up in the Ring of Honor then we'll start the rebuild process.

but do people want to pay for mediocre? i wouldn't. i would be more likely to buy tix to see a young team that's losing, but be excited about watching the growth and development, than watching a team that might be winning more often, but whom i know has little chance of truly competing with the big boys.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Also, once you get into the playoffs, you never know what can happen. Every team there is one key injury from being non-competitive. Celtics were a shoe-in until KG went down. Rockets played tough without Yao but didn't really have a chance. Maybe we squeak in and get a whole bunch of breaks, you never know, we're really due for a few.

one or two breaks are possible, but when your team lags a good 8 teams (lakers, spurs, mavs-with additions, blazers, nugz, celtics, cavs, magic) there can't be enough breaks to be meaningful to a team like the suns.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Also, once you get into the playoffs, you never know what can happen.

That may be true in the NFL or March Madness where you just have to beat teams once and you can get a good draw and go on a run. In the NBA you have to win 4 seven game series, the best team almost always wins out in the end.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
but do people want to pay for mediocre? i wouldn't. i would be more likely to buy tix to see a young team that's losing, but be excited about watching the growth and development, than watching a team that might be winning more often, but whom i know has little chance of truly competing with the big boys.

News flash: You aren't the Suns' target audience. The Suns think they'll sell more tickets with 50-and-fade than with a suicidal fire sale. We can debate which makes more sense for the long-term competitiveness of the franchise, but from a financial standpoint, they are probably correct.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Imagine the drama and intrigue that will surround this team when they play the Clippers. "Brother against Brother, this time.... it's personal"

I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I alone in thinking they are making the only reasonable moves available to them? I think they absolutely wanted to blow this team up and start over but the "perceived" dismal performance of last season coupled with the Amare situation (health + max contract demand) left them few options.

I agree that they haven't put together a team they believe can win it all but maybe they are just trying to be competitive enough to change the image of our marketable pieces. And, if Amare comes back better than ever and all our other pieces slightly exceed expectations we'd be just a few key injuries away from truly being contenders. Not too different from how we started Mike D's first season here.

It's not ideal but ideal went away when we gave up the world to move a still valuable Kurt Thomas. The stupidest recent NBA deal was the Knicks taking Longley off our hands but that pales in comparison to what Kerr did here.

Steve

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
News flash: You aren't the Suns' target audience. The Suns think they'll sell more tickets with 50-and-fade than with a suicidal fire sale. We can debate which makes more sense for the long-term competitiveness of the franchise, but from a financial standpoint, they are probably correct.

i know you're right. i just wish it weren't so. so many mindless sheep. why would they want that product? i just don't get it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Am I alone in thinking they are making the only reasonable moves available to them? I think they absolutely wanted to blow this team up and start over but the "perceived" dismal performance of last season coupled with the Amare situation (health + max contract demand) left them few options.

I agree that they haven't put together a team they believe can win it all but maybe they are just trying to be competitive enough to change the image of our marketable pieces. And, if Amare comes back better than ever and all our other pieces slightly exceed expectations we'd be just a few key injuries away from truly being contenders. Not too different from how we started Mike D's first season here.

It's not ideal but ideal went away when we gave up the world to move a still valuable Kurt Thomas. The stupidest recent NBA deal was the Knicks taking Longley off our hands but that pales in comparison to what Kerr did here.

Steve

but the signing nash to an extension and hill to an extension extends beyond this season and potentially handcuffs when we eventually NEED to rebuild (for those that think rebuilding right now is not necessary). you're talking about making the "only reasonable moves available to them" but these moves are going to keep the suns in this position beyond just this year, and then they are going to, once again, be constricted to making "only reasonable moves available to them" again in two years. take the hit now and and be able to make better than "reasonable" moves in the future.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
i mean, what is the goal for this team at present?
Pretty simple - avoiding the embarrassment of handing over the top pick in next year's NBA Draft to the blossoming powerhouse in Oklahoma City. If we have our pick in 2010 then I'd be willing to bet that Amare, Nash, and Hill would no longer be on the roster and you'd see a lot of 25 and under prospects getting valuable burn in anticipation of a 2011 or 2012 free agent spending spree (aka the Chris Paul/Deron Williams Sweepstakes) .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It would never happen, but I'd be REAL excited about getting Chris Paul!

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I think there's still a shot, Nash and Hill will be done at that point and even assuming Stat re-ups we should have a max slot. Of course at that point there's going to be better options for CP3 as we'll have next to nothing to surround him with.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I think there's still a shot, Nash and Hill will be done at that point and even assuming Stat re-ups we should have a max slot. Of course at that point there's going to be better options for CP3 as we'll have next to nothing to surround him with.
Didn't both D-Will and CP3 sign extensions last summer?