Coro: Steve Nash's career with the Phoenix Suns nears its end

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Anyone think they're gonna get something for him, or just free up money to throw away on mediocre role players in their thirties? At least get us a first rounder or someone with obvious and proven talent on a rookie contract. Come on you clowns.

And... Go Suns!

He's a free agent, the time for getting anything of consequence has passed. Plus Nash's value to other teams was never as high as his production which is why he was never traded. Teams aren't going to give 1st round picks in the top half or quality players on rookie deals for a 36-38 year old PG no matter how productive he is.

The Suns are bottoming out now, which is what some have been wanting for awhile. Trading Nash would have sped up the bottoming out process but little else.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
6 million per year for an all star caliber player, and a top 8 point guard?

Maybe 5 years ago.

If you're just going to insult him, don't make an offer at all. What a bunch of morons.

You forgot 38 years old.

You forget that the new CBA is stricter than the old CBA so why would you give a 38 year old a bigger multi year contract than his last one?

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you trust Broussard...

I'll take this over someone posting "reports are..." without a link to said "reports".

Even if the $6m/2year was true, how is that an insult? Wasn't it Nash who said he needed to see an improvment of talent? The Suns can't both pay him what Toronto is said to have offered AND have any flexability to better the roster.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll take this over someone posting "reports are..." without a link to said "reports".

Even if the $6m/2year was true, how is that an insult? Wasn't it Nash who said he needed to see an improvment of talent? The Suns can't both pay him what Toronto is said to have offered AND have any flexability to better the roster.

You don't think offering 25% (actually less since it's only 2 years) of what the competitor is offering an insult?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Nash will bring his best offer back to the Suns like he did with Mark Cuban and the Mavericks before signing elsewhere. So I think whatever the Suns have put on the table now is tentative and they both know it.

Do I think the Suns will match. No.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You don't think offering 25% (actually less since it's only 2 years) of what the competitor is offering an insult?

No.
If they are to meet Nash's stance that they improve the talent, in order to do so he would need to make a sacrifice himself.

I'll miss Nash, but it's time to go. I doubt the Suns made the offer anyway.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's my biggest issue with that offer. The Suns HAD to know he wouldn't take that offer, just as they had to know Amare wouldn't take the non-guaranteed offer and yet they STILL didn't move them to try and accumulate future assets even though they knew there was probably no shot in hell that either guy would be a Sun the following year.

make the argument about Steve Nash, but everybody and their mother knows that the Phoenix Suns tried to move Amare Stoudemire. Other teams were not offering anything decent. They wouldn't even throw in JJ Hickson. They preferred to trade for Antawn Jamison for God's sake. It's my understanding the same is true about Steve Nash. The only difference is that when Amare Stoudemire was on the trade block we were still a really good team. With Nash we were hoping to make the playoffs at all. The sign and trade sending Amare Stoudemire to New York may have been worth more than anybody was offering except we blew the trade exception on Childress.

Joe

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
make the argument about Steve Nash, but everybody and their mother knows that the Phoenix Suns tried to move Amare Stoudemire. Other teams were not offering anything decent. They wouldn't even throw in JJ Hickson. They preferred to trade for Antawn Jamison for God's sake. It's my understanding the same is true about Steve Nash. The only difference is that when Amare Stoudemire was on the trade block we were still a really good team. With Nash we were hoping to make the playoffs at all. The sign and trade sending Amare Stoudemire to New York may have been worth more than anybody was offering except we blew the trade exception on Childress.

Consider the skill of the Suns' negotiators. Then consider if more could not have been done to move Stoudemire for a reasonable deal.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Consider the skill of the Suns' negotiators. Then consider if more could not have been done to move Stoudemire for a reasonable deal.

oh come on, did they not blow the Cavaliers front office well enough to get JJ Hickson included? Besides, by not trading Amare Stoudemire we got a trip to the Western Conference finals and a very competitive series against the Lakers. Nobody wanted to rent Amare Stoudemire for a third of the season and then be forced to decide whether they would give a guy with horrible knee problems and a bad eye and a maximum contract to stay around.

I'm all for hammering this front office when they screw up. I don't agree with much of what's going on there these days. I'm terrified they are going to screw us for the next three or four years with bad moves this summer. I think some of the criticism is just over the top, especially when it involves us overvaluing our own players like usual.

Joe Mama

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm all for hammering this front office when they screw up. I don't agree with much of what's going on there these days. I'm terrified they are going to screw us for the next three or four years with bad moves this summer. I think some of the criticism is just over the top, especially when it involves us overvaluing our own players like usual.

Joe Mama

The criticism that may be over-the-top is understandable though when looking at the Suns FO cumulative record of mistakes since Sarver became the owner.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I don't think nash intends on returning to phoenix based on his latest comments. combine that with phx potentially not wanting to re-sign him? You would think they would have at least made a counter offer to toronto. My guess is that steve will end up in toronto, one of the NY teams, or dallas if dwill doesn't sign with the mavs. I think steve really wants to play in one of those 3 cities, but it just comes down to what happens with other players and what is the best move for him to win as well. If he really wanted to sign in Toronto my guess is that he would have jumped at that 36 million. I think he is holding out hope that one of the other teams that is closer to contention will offer him a deal.

Last edited:

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sad day, Nash provided arguably the most entertaining era of Suns basketball.

It's a shame our front office/ownership wasn't committed to building a championship team around him, I wish him nothing but the best, and hope he gets a championship.

I'd argue that the KJ/Barkley/Marjerle/Chambers "era" was more entertaining from a fan perspective even though it was a shorter era.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I'd argue that the KJ/Barkley/Marjerle/Chambers "era" was more entertaining from a fan perspective even though it was a shorter era.

Eh, for me watching Barkley back down players was markedly less fun than the 7 seconds or less years. I would imagine most Suns fans would feel the same way. (But I've been surprised before)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh, for me watching Barkley back down players was markedly less fun than the 7 seconds or less years. I would imagine most Suns fans would feel the same way. (But I've been surprised before)

i actuallly loved watching those teams. We had crazy three point-shooters, Barkley, KJ and Dumas attacking the rim and Oliver Miller's somewhat slim ass blocking shots and making fancy passes. those teams were a hell of a lot of fun to watch. I also believed in those teams more than the 7 seconds teams... probably because the first team got so close to a title.

but the 7 second squads, especially the first three were a blast to watch also, especially year 1 which was so unexpected and year two which was even more unexpected after losing Amare and JJ.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
i actuallly loved watching those teams. We had crazy three point-shooters, Barkley, KJ and Dumas attacking the rim and Oliver Miller's somewhat slim ass blocking shots and making fancy passes. those teams were a hell of a lot of fun to watch. I also believed in those teams more than the 7 seconds teams... probably because the first team got so close to a title.

but the 7 second squads, especially the first three were a blast to watch also, especially year 1 which was so unexpected and year two which was even more unexpected after losing Amare and JJ.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I loved those teams as well, but if I had to choose a favorite, it would be the SSOL teams. Maybe I just got annoyed with the "Cult of Barkley".

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
make the argument about Steve Nash, but everybody and their mother knows that the Phoenix Suns tried to move Amare Stoudemire. Joe
It's all about timing Joe. A smart organization will try to move a player when they still have leverage over the player and the market(contract-wise)...and before a player's value begins to dip on the market(age). It can be risky PR-wise,but the Suns have simply waited too long to make decisions on a few key guys under Sarver's watch.

I loved the first couple seasons of SSOL...when teams were in a state of shock and awe and couldn't defend it. Later it got very predictable and futile IMO.

I'd rather watch Barkley-ball than Nash-ball every day of the week BTW. Just my preference :D

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Why pursue Dragic?

I mean, I haven't commented on the draft, but our guy from UNC seems like a straight up floor general who will average 10/10 out of the gate if he gets the minutes. He at least seems to be a solid second-tier PG for his career. It seems that he's a legit PGOF. Look elsewhere instead of re-treading Dragic and burying our pick on the bench.

We need a 2, 3, and 4 much more than we need a PG, IMO.

At least Sessions and Felton are guaranteed to be short-term answers to bridge our draftee for a year or two. Dragic comes expecting to be PGOF.