Coro: Steve Nash's career with the Phoenix Suns nears its end

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Worse. It makes the Lakers significantly better.

At least if we're going to tank, our rivals need to fail at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nash
Kobe
Artest
Gasol
Howard

Of course Brown will probably play them all 38-40mpg and get worn down in the playoffs.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I don't want any of the Lakers trash but if they give us the Lamar Odom trade exception and multiple first round picks (AT LEAST 2013 and 2015 unprotected) then go ahead and sign and trade him there.
No loss for us.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't understand what the trade exception would do for us. Wouldn't it be basically worthless? If we were in a position to use it, I might think differently. But even then, didn't we let most of our trade exception expire unused?

We're under the cap. We even have a contract we can amnesty. I don't see what a trade exception can do.

I could see the possibility if we wanted to rebuild right now with a ton of star fa's available. But there's just no one worthy to spend the cap space. Even with our current cap space, I don't see why we should max it out trying to build a winner next year.

Plus, isn't a trade exception only good for like 6 months, 9 months, maybe 1 year? If you could hold onto it for 2-3 years, then maybe it makes sense. But as far as I know you can't.

If you can use it for up to a year, then maybe we could use it early in the next free agent period. But overall I don't see that as valuable.

Unless we can trade the trade exception.

I also don't see why we'd want the players they rumor has us getting. Plus the Lakers don't even have any of them signed. One of them is an ex-Sun we didn't care to want back.

I also don't know why on Earth we'd trade him to the Lakers, in the division.

It really looks like wishful thinking that somehow got elevated to a possibility....because it's the Lakers, and they supposedly can turn nothing into gold just because they want to. Really shows the poor quality journalism imo.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The trade exception indeed would do nothing for us. But nothing is what we want.

We don't lose capspace in this case but get a couple draft picks.

Losing Nash for nothing but a few draft picks is better than losing Nash for just nothing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just something to add to the Lakers speculation. Reciprocal interest?

Per Paul Coro on twitter:
Paul Coro ‏@paulcoro

The Lakers & Nash are interested in a sign-and-trade. Sounds like there's no way Sarver would do that for the #Suns rival.

http://twitter.com/#!/paulcoro

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Marshall
Gordon
Dudley
Gasol
Gortat

That team could be interesting depending on how good Marshall is. Couldn't guard a statue though lol

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
So we would help the Lakers get Nash AND Dwight Howard? That's big, but you gotta draw the line somewhere. :D

For a couple years. But Nash and Kobe would be good for 2 years tops and I think Howard is overatted.

I think Gasol would be a stud on the Suns without Kobe bitching at him all the time.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Didn't Shumpert just tear up his knee D Rose style? What about a S & T for Lin. Doesn't he just scream seven seconds or less PG?

Yes, Shumpert is damaged, but healable with our staff. Seven Seconds or Less is irrelevant. Lin might be able to run it, but we don't have anyone else that can. Those days are over, even if we kept Nash.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't Shumpert just tear up his knee D Rose style? What about a S & T for Lin. Doesn't he just scream seven seconds or less PG?

The only SSOL remaining in the America is the title of a book in the discounted pile at your local bookstore. That system is dead. It left Phoenix with D'Antoni.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Yes, Shumpert is damaged, but healable with our staff. Seven Seconds or Less is irrelevant. Lin might be able to run it, but we don't have anyone else that can. Those days are over, even if we kept Nash.

Shumpert will recover and he'll play good defense. Wouldn't be a bad pickup for Nash.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The latest twitter news about Nash to NY in a sign-and-trade. Knicks looking for a third team, but may ultimately part with Shumpert.
https://twitter.com/#!/WojYahooNBA
https://twitter.com/#!/WojYahooNBA
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA NY package would include Iman Shumpert, Toney Douglas and likely 3 low money players to get Nash salary needed to close gap on Toronto offer

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
Yet as one source familiar w/NYK thinking told ESPN: "They don't want to trade (Shumpert), but they will if they have to. They want Nash."

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Knicks, Suns are in the critical stages of discussions on a sign-and-trade deal that would pay Nash $27M-$30M over 3 years, sources tell Y!

Alan Hahn ‏@alanhahn
RT @ESPNSteinLine: As @alanhahn notes, Knicks PREFER to chase Nash w/out Shumpert. Sources say they're trying to find 3rd team to avoid it

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score

If by that you mean he'll turn the ball over in seven seconds or less.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I saw a fair amount of Shumpert last year and thought he was awful. If the Suns get him, I desperately hope he's re-routed to New Orleans as part of a Gordon deal.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski is reporting the sign-and-trade deal that would send Steve Nash from the Suns to the Knicks for a package likely including Iman Shumpert, Toney Douglas and three low-salary players is in the "critical stages."
Shumpert has been a sticking point in the deal, but it sounds like the Knicks have come to terms with letting him go, and it's also interesting that the Knicks may be getting Nash after parting ways with Mike D'Antoni last season. But it does sound like they are going to be able to offer Nash close to $30 million over three years, which puts them in the same ball park as the Raptors. And if given a choice and equal money, it sounds like Nash wants to go to New York.
Related: Raptors, Iman Shumpert
Source: Yahoo! Sports
Jul 4 - 1:27 PM

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I saw a fair amount of Shumpert last year and thought he was awful. If the Suns get him, I desperately hope he's re-routed to New Orleans as part of a Gordon deal.

+1

The only reason Shumpert is getting any attention is because he's in NY and he played a modicum of defense on a team (save Chandler and Fields) that barely bothered to run back.

That plus the way he destroyed his ACL (no contact involved at all) makes me afraid of his long term health.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
if the Knicks want Nash they will have to give us assets.. why would we take on their scrubs for nash..

Shumpert alone wouldn't do it, give us picks along with him.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
More info on Shumpert:

Shumpert (knee surgery) will not resume shooting for at least two weeks, New York Newsday reports.

Spin: Shumpert is targeting a January return to the court while he recovers from a torn ACL in his left knee that he suffered in Game 1 of the first-round playoff series against Miami. "I just want to be back 100 percent, I don't care how long it takes ... I just want to be healthy," Shumpert added.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/6468/iman-shumpert

40% shooting, 30% 3pt shooting, 2.8 assist/game & missing half the season... no thanks... the only good stat is his 1.7 steals per game.

He's no PG, but he's got the size to play SG... maybe they're looking at him because they know NO will match the Gordon deal. He should still be a bench player backing up Shannon Brown... at least he has a good contract for now (made $1.5 mil last season).

If the Suns are considering a S&T with NY then Lin resigned to a reasonable contract (4yr/20 mil) should be a requirement.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan