Coro: Suns lock down frye 5/30m

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So let's see, in 12 hours the offer went from $20M/5yr, to 25, to 30. Shrewd negotiating, Sarver!

This is a bad deal. By 2012-13 we'll all hate it. Save this post for future reference if you like.

Why save the post? Most of the people here already hate the deal. I'm in the (much smaller) slightly displeased group. I'm not sure there's a gee I really like this deal group.

Steve

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
No.

Someone there, on NYK's board also referred to some twitter saying Amare might get a 6y/120m deal, which has to be a s&t 10 mil below the super max.

Everything I've read sounds like Amare wants MAXXXXX money above all else. We all know he will get a LOT more via a S&T.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Soooooo......when are we going to sign a PF?

Those who felt that not having a GM in place at this point in time was a bad thing(me) are not surprised by this move.

But....
It's not the type of bad deal that will drag down the franchise(some of you are overreacting a little) but if we get the same Frye we got last season in the next 5 yrs for that kind of money without showing any improvement in the other areas of his game then this move is just plain stupid.
He MUST get better defensively and he MUST be a guy we can count on to get at least 7 or 8 rebounds per. If he can continue to work and get better then this could potentially be a quality signing IMO. Frye can be a solid 6th or 7th man who could play alot of minutes.....IF he improves on his weaknesses.

However,if THIS is the plan at PF next season then this franchise has clearly lost it's marbles.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Frye is 27. He is what he is at this point. Just like Stoudemire is what he is at this point. We need to stop depending on the if he could just. . . The only time I can think of a player getting significantly better after 27 was Steve Nash who we all know is an anomaly.

Last edited:

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Um, no. This is my viewpoint and I'm going to express it. That's why I'm on this board. If you don't think I should... tough. But you're kidding yourself if you think Amare's going to be playing here next season. He won't be and at the moment it looks like Frye will be our starting PF. That is sickening. Like I said before, he was absolutely abused in the starting line-up last year and he will be absolutely abused this year if that's the case. He doesn't have the D to contend with NBA starting line-up quality bigs. Why is it so much to ask for this team to get a PF who can actually go out and defend? Geez, God forbid this team sign a 4 that can bring down 9+ boards a game and actually keep a guy from shredding us inside. With the departure of Amare, I was hoping this might signal the beginning of a new frontcourt philosophy for our team but it's probably in vain.
+1
Get used to these responses bro,it's a very conservative board for the most part and Franchise criticism usually isn't recieved very well here.

Just know that i feel your pain in terms of the offensive-minded basketball culture that seems to be cemented in place here forever...despite only 2 Finals appearances in 42 years and zero championships.

Keep your chin up, the summers not over yet.....
I still cant believe we don't have a new GM in place and we're drafting guys,negotiating max contracts and giving one-dimensional bench players 35 million dollars.....

Somebody wake me up! :)

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Look at it this way, if we go into next season with frye as our starting PF and no GM sarver will save 12-13 mil. next year.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
+1
Get used to these responses bro,it's a very conservative board for the most part and Franchise criticism usually isn't recieved very well here.

Just know that i feel your pain in terms of the offensive-minded basketball culture that seems to be cemented in place here forever...despite only 2 Finals appearances in 42 years and zero championships.

Keep your chin up, the summers not over yet.....
I still cant believe we don't have a new GM in place and we're drafting guys,negotiating max contracts and giving one-dimensional bench players 35 million dollars.....

Somebody wake me up! :)

Thanks for the support bro. It's tough here sometimes lol. Here's to one day realizing the dream :).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
those of you that like to deal in hyperbole can call this panic, but it's not. i'm calling it what it is . . . a bad deal. i don't dislike frye. i think he's a nice fit with the CURRENT players. but the CURRECT core won't be here much longer which means we'll be stuck with a $6/year square peg in a round hole, much the same way frye was seen in ny (pre-dantoni) and portland. 5 years of frye. and for those of you praying that he becomes a butterfly . . . he's 27 . . . leopard don't change it's spots.

imho i consider this strike 1 in the post-kerr era.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
also, for those trumpeting this signing as a "see sarver spends!" i think those of us that highly critical of sarver believe he tends to be penny wise and pound foolish. he won't spend to get over the top, and when he does spend it tends to be foolishly. i see this signing as yet another bit of evidence of the latter.

and for those that think frye will be just as effective, or more [shaking head], this season, you're outta your mind. if there's no amare drawing attention inside frye sees a fraction of the looks beyond the arc and his numbers actually dwindle this year. making his contract look all the more diaw-esque.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
those of you that like to deal in hyperbole can call this panic, but it's not. i'm calling it what it is . . . a bad deal. i don't dislike frye. i think he's a nice fit with the CURRENT players. but the CURRECT core won't be here much longer which means we'll be stuck with a $6/year square peg in a round hole, much the same way frye was seen in ny (pre-dantoni) and portland. 5 years of frye. and for those of you praying that he becomes a butterfly . . . he's 27 . . . leopard don't change it's spots.

imho i consider this strike 1 in the post-kerr era.

Excellent point

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
also, for those trumpeting this signing as a "see sarver spends!" i think those of us that highly critical of sarver believe he tends to be penny wise and pound foolish. he won't spend to get over the top, and when he does spend it tends to be foolishly. i see this signing as yet another bit of evidence of the latter.

and for those that think frye will be just as effective, or more [shaking head], this season, you're outta your mind. if there's no amare drawing attention inside frye sees a fraction of the looks beyond the arc and his numbers actually dwindle this year. making his contract look all the more diaw-esque.

Another excellent point

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So let's see, in 12 hours the offer went from $20M/5yr, to 25, to 30. Shrewd negotiating, Sarver!
Who needs a GM?

I personally love the rationale that other players are being overpaid so the Suns had to overpay. Not to mention I'd trade Frye and his reported deal right now for Darko, Gooden, Miller or Amir Johnson.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's all coming together now. All the people who complain and whine about Sarver's spending don't understand a single thing about business.

Frye got EXACTLY what the market dictated. It's the way it works. 2 years ago, that contract would be ridiculous, but now, when you're looking at several teams throwing absurd amounts of money around? The market dictated this contract, not Channing Frye, and not the Phoenix Suns. A better player would demand more money than that because that's what the market says they should do.

And please don't start on Chris Wilcox. Channing Frye is a better player than Chris Wilcox. No matter the hate, Channing was a pivotal part of our 2nd half of the season run and was arguably a better defender and rebounder than Amare in the Western Conference Finals.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious, if Frye is signed using the MLE, what happens if Amare walks since that will drop their slaries blow the cap? I thought a team had to declare what it would use. But what if they wait to register the contract util the Amare situation is clarified?

cly2tw

Reaction score
I'm curious, if Frye is signed using the MLE, what happens if Amare walks since that will drop their slaries blow the cap? I thought a team had to declare what it would use. But what if they wait to register the contract util the Amare situation is clarified?

Then Frye's contract counts against cap and Suns could still sign for whatever is remaining from the cap, after Amare is gone elsewhere. Easiest way is to have a MOI with Frye and actually sign the contract after Amare issue is cleared.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Frye got EXACTLY what the market dictated. It's the way it works. 2 years ago, that contract would be ridiculous, but now, when you're looking at several teams throwing absurd amounts of money around? The market dictated this contract, not Channing Frye, and not the Phoenix Suns. A better player would demand more money than that because that's what the market says they should do.

And please don't start on Chris Wilcox. Channing Frye is a better player than Chris Wilcox. No matter the hate, Channing was a pivotal part of our 2nd half of the season run and was arguably a better defender and rebounder than Amare in the Western Conference Finals.

hmm, i'm not convinced that was really the market. there were rumors of other teams' interest, but did we hear of any actual offer? just spouting the contracts of other guys doesn't speak to frye's market. he's a LOT different than most of the other guys that signed yesterday and today. most of them are bigs known for rebounding/defense/inside play. frye is a much different type of cat. his skillset is completely different. so there's no telling if he'd pull the same offers or same range. from my vantagepoint it seems like we tried to be rational and when frye said "i want more" and some other teams showed interest, we caved. i could be wrong, but that's just what it appears like to me. we caved, and imo, i think it may be an attempt to save face in what is looking to be a summer during which we lose amare for little, to no, compensation.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I understand the market value end Chap and i agree. A player is worth what teams are willing to pay them..... but why is resigning a mediocre player like Channing Frye at the market value the right thing to do at this time?
Is he a starter?
Is he going to be the man in a couple years?
IMO he's a complimentary player to a team in flux in terms of it's core,which doesn't make good sense to me. Ouchie made this point earlier and i couldn't agree more.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wish people would stop using the market dictates price thing. Stupidity is stupidity whichever way you slice it. Right now, teams are getting into bidding wars because there is more money than players. For all you economic buffs, there is more demand than supply. So does this mean the smart move is to jump into the war? No, of course not. The winners of these bids will turn into the losers down the road, having vastly overpaid and crippling themselves later on. It's going to be a bubble burst, a dot com crash all over again if you will. You don't see the smart franchises, San Antonio, Oklahoma City, Portland, engaging in this madness. They can see past the "market dictates price" for what it means in the long run, namely, the recipe for a dysfunctional and imbalanced franchise.

Last edited:

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No matter the hate, Channing was a pivotal part of our 2nd half of the season run and was arguably a better defender and rebounder than Amare in the Western Conference Finals.

Are you seriously trying to use Frye's WCF performance to justify his contract?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If the market is $30M/5yr for Frye, then you don't pay it. Let him walk, sign a hungry scrub for a fifth the cost, and win 42 games instead of 46.

It's unbelievable that this franchise will pay $30 million to Frye in order to be a #7 seed instead of a lottery team, but wouldn't pay $8 million plus some luxury tax to Kurt Thomas to be a title contender instead of a playoff also-ran. Think about that for a moment.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
hmm, i'm not convinced that was really the market. there were rumors of other teams' interest, but did we hear of any actual offer? just spouting the contracts of other guys doesn't speak to frye's market. he's a LOT different than most of the other guys that signed yesterday and today. most of them are bigs known for rebounding/defense/inside play. frye is a much different type of cat. his skillset is completely different. so there's no telling if he'd pull the same offers or same range. from my vantagepoint it seems like we tried to be rational and when frye said "i want more" and some other teams showed interest, we caved. i could be wrong, but that's just what it appears like to me. we caved, and imo, i think it may be an attempt to save face in what is looking to be a summer during which we lose amare for little, to no, compensation.

Something happened in the last 24 hours to make the Suns think Frye was getting offered a full MLE. It is almost like he actually was offered a full MLE. If he hadn't, then why the rush?

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I understand the market value end Chap and i agree. A player is worth what teams are willing to pay them..... but why is resigning a mediocre player like Channing Frye at the market value the right thing to do at this time?
Is he a starter?
Is he going to be the man in a couple years?
IMO he's a complimentary player to a team in flux in terms of it's core,which doesn't make good sense to me. Ouchie made this point earlier and i couldn't agree more.

Exactly

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If the market is $30M/5yr for Frye, then you don't pay it. Let him walk, sign a hungry scrub for a fifth the cost, and win 42 games instead of 46.

It's unbelievable that this franchise will pay $30 million to Frye in order to be a #7 seed instead of a lottery team, but wouldn't pay $8 million plus some luxury tax to Kurt Thomas to be a title contender instead of a playoff also-ran. Think about that for a moment.

I immediately though of KT when I heard this deal.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
:pullhair:
Ughh...why did you have to post this?
You must be registered for see images