Coro: Suns lock down frye 5/30m

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
i think slin is the only chicken little around here. the rest are just saying they don't like the contract. they may be saying the sky is falling, but not b/c of this contract alone, but rather, b/c it's a foreshadowing of things to come. if this piece of the sky falls (frye's bad contract) and it's followed by other poor decisions, then individually they don't make the sky fall, but collectively they cause it to collapse. you have to view each piece in the potential aggregate. a million tiny mistakes are each individually tiny mistakes, but collectively they could ruin anything.

g0ddamn, it's crazy, this feels just like the old Cards days. Unbelievable that we're talking about the Suns. :barf:

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
g0ddamn, it's crazy, this feels just like the old Cards days. Unbelievable that we're talking about the Suns. :barf:

I was thinking the same thing. In Baseball and Basketball we have disfunctional ownership, and the Cardinals totally have their crap together. If you would have told me this in say 2002 I would have laughed in your face.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I used the word "overpaid " as to what I think a players value is actually worth. However, "market value" is what one has to pay buy a product. I complain about prices most times I go shopping, but this is what you have to pay if you want the product. I can complain to the manager but it usually doesn't change the outcome. I don't view Frye as a bad contract, just more expensive that what I would have liked to have seen paid. Again, if you didn't want the Suns to keep Frye then I understand your stance. The market said Frye was worth 5 years, 30M.

you're speaking as a consumer, not a business owner. a business owner has to make business-savvy decisions. he HAS to get value or his business fails. your analogy is waaaay off the mark.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. In Baseball and Basketball we have disfunctional ownership, and the Cardinals totally have their crap together. If you would have told me this in say 2002 I would have laughed in your face.

don't forget hockey! we have NO ownership there at all.

and though it's nice to see that the cards have righted their ship, it's still largely the same ownership. if we ever lost whis i'd be frightened to see the biddy's return us to the same hell we occupied previously. in other words, i have ZERO faith in ANY of our local professional sports franchises. I can't remember a time when I had to admit that. thank god for whis.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I used the word "overpaid " as to what I think a players value is actually worth. However, "market value" is what one has to pay buy a product. I complain about prices most times I go shopping, but this is what you have to pay if you want the product. I can complain to the manager but it usually doesn't change the outcome. I don't view Frye as a bad contract, just more expensive that what I would have liked to have seen paid. Again, if you didn't want the Suns to keep Frye then I understand your stance. The market said Frye was worth 5 years, 30M.

Depends on how you view things, the market is dictating average players getting almost the full mid level.

But Frye really only had 1 good year, business wise is it smart to pay a guy who has a good year out of many. Theres a high risk that the Suns will look to unloading him within a year and to do so, they'll ship picks to do it, it could be the same "business decision" we went through with Banks.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
don't forget hockey! we have NO ownership there at all.

and though it's nice to see that the cards have righted their ship, it's still largely the same ownership. if we ever lost whis i'd be frightened to see the biddy's return us to the same hell we occupied previously. in other words, i have ZERO faith in ANY of our local professional sports franchises. I can't remember a time when I had to admit that. thank god for whis.

It's not really, the old man is more of a figure head, I think if we built the stadium in 1995, the Cardinals would have still been worthless. Mike has an ego and can see there is more money in winning, he also doesn't have the old fashion biases that the older Bidwill had in terms of the little things like extra shoes and towels. Bill Bidwill ran the team like a team would have been in the 50 and 60's. If you look at world history (for example Russian history) and lines of succession, counties have been crap with the old man and the son brings the nation to glory.

I am more convinced than every in this day, ownership makes everything, then market, then luck.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you head into the supermarket thinking, "I want some steak." Then you see that the steak is $15 per pound. You think, "Gee, I wanted steak, but not that much. I'll get by with chicken instead for a third the price." Problem solved.

The problem with this analogy is that Frye is not exactly steak-quality.

Not if you really want steak. A better option might have been going for a cheaper cut of steak, but then you get what you pay for.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not if you really want steak. A better option might have been going for a cheaper cut of steak, but then you get what you pay for.

unfortunately, the suns WON'T get what they paid for here... for a long time. the steak analogy sucks because Frye ain't steak. He's SPAM and we just loaded up on it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on how you view things, the market is dictating average players getting almost the full mid level.

But Frye really only had 1 good year, business wise is it smart to pay a guy who has a good year out of many. Theres a high risk that the Suns will look to unloading him within a year and to do so, they'll ship picks to do it, it could be the same "business decision" we went through with Banks.

Frye will never be a great player but he is a good role player. He should always see minutes for the Suns. I agree, it's how you view things.

Another thing, he played fairly well in NY for two years but not so well in Portland for two years. It could be Portland was not a good fit. Anyway, he did play fairly well for the Suns less the Laker playoff series.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unfortunately, the suns WON'T get what they paid for here... for a long time. the steak analogy sucks because Frye ain't steak. He's SPAM and we just loaded up on it.

The steak analogy started with Elindholm. :D

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you're speaking as a consumer, not a business owner. a business owner has to make business-savvy decisions. he HAS to get value or his business fails. your analogy is waaaay off the mark.

So you didn't like the price tag on Frye. Other teams did. That's why Sarver paid the price.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frye will never be a great player but he is a good role player.

I agree, he's a good role player... on a contending team. And maybe, on a contender, you over-pay a little for a good role player because the line between winning and losing is that thin.

Problem is, this is no longer a contending team and over-paying a role player on a non-contending team will only clog up space, making it harder to even become a contending team again.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, he's a good role player... on a contending team. And maybe, on a contender, you over-pay a little for a good role player because the line between winning and losing is that thin.

Problem is, this is no longer a contending team and over-paying a role player on a non-contending team will only clog up space, making it harder to even become a contending team again.

Holy hell I am glad I am not the only one that thinks this. Signing 2 role players (Yes Warrick is a role player too) to a combined 48 million over the next several years makes ZERO sense with a team that won't contend.

I mean do the Suns have something else up their sleeve? Because if they don't I am sitting here astounded right now.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
Eh, it's certainly not the worst NBA contract ever - maybe not even top 100.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy hell I am glad I am not the only one that thinks this. Signing 2 role players (Yes Warrick is a role player too) to a combined 48 million over the next several years makes ZERO sense with a team that won't contend.

I mean do the Suns have something else up their sleeve? Because if they don't I am sitting here astounded right now.

i'm not astounded. this is what I expected.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The only thing I can think of, is the Suns do something with LB or JRich. JRich should have excellent value at the trading deadline if things head south.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Yep, still pisses me off. After what Gad posted a couple weeks back, I at least prepared myself for the suck. I'm still pissed. It's pretty obvious why Kerr/Griffin didn't agree with the direction of the team.

If the Houston option was legitimate, and we missed out on the opp because Sarver was playing dress up as GM, I'll be even more furious.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OK, I knew there was a chance with Sarver and company at the helm something like this could happen. However, I was holding out hope that the Suns had learned from mistake after mistake in this Sarver era.

I mean, what the hell? Akim Warrick? Are you freaking serious? He is not starting material. You can't tell me the Suns couldn't have figured something out or made a trade that would bring in someone better then Warrick.

On second thought....maybe I am not that surprised. I am just pissed.

The only thing I can think of, is the Suns do something with LB or JRich. JRich should have excellent value at the trading deadline if things head south.

Well it better be something major because we official have one of the worst front courts in basketball now.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So you didn't like the price tag on Frye. Other teams did. That's why Sarver paid the price.

i don't mean to pick on you, but you keep saying the same thing and i keep making the same point off your comments. just because everyone else does something doesn't mean you have to do so as well. sheep or pack mentality is a surefire killer for success. again, you're argument is that sarver let the bucks, knicks, etc. set the price for his player. if you're right, he's being lead by poor management. i'd rather he determine the value of the player and then (particularly for a roleplayer) not budge overly much from value, even if the market dictates otherwise. let other's make foolish signings, don't be forced into a foolish signing by others.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, still pisses me off. After what Gad posted a couple weeks back, I at least prepared myself for the suck. I'm still pissed. It's pretty obvious why Kerr/Griffin didn't agree with the direction of the team.

If the Houston option was legitimate, and we missed out on the opp because Sarver was playing dress up as GM, I'll be even more furious.

I think Sarver actually made a couple of solid moves (not great) in signing Frye and Warrick as apparently a sign and trade was not on the table with NY. Now if a sign and trade was availabe for David Lee then I will be upset. The Suns need to build through the draft or make a key trade. I'm curious as to how Nash and Grant Hill react. This is the barometer.