Coro: Suns lock down frye 5/30m

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I guess Sarver's closed door personnel pre-approval meeting with Nash went well.....
You know, the meeting held right before the one where Kerr decided he wanted to **** of here.

I jest.....sort of.
What sad sad times indeed.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I'm curious as to how Nash and Grant Hill react. This is the barometer.

Well, they interviewed Nash after Kerr bailed, and he mentioned several times how disappointed he was. Seeing that there is essentially zero chance this team will contend, I REALLY hope that Steve and Grant have a chance to try and contend for another team. It's the least this franchise can do for them, and Nash should bring at least a little value.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i don't mean to pick on you, but you keep saying the same thing and i keep making the same point off your comments. just because everyone else does something doesn't mean you have to do so as well. sheep or pack mentality is a surefire killer for success. again, you're argument is that sarver let the bucks, knicks, etc. set the price for his player. if you're right, he's being lead by poor management. i'd rather he determine the value of the player and then (particularly for a roleplayer) not budge overly much from value, even if the market dictates otherwise. let other's make foolish signings, don't be forced into a foolish signing by others.

Well Sarver set the limit for Amare and he walked. So Sarver knows how to set limits. Maybe Sarver and Gentry agreed that Frye was necessary to run the Suns offense.

If you keep talking about sheep, I'm going to call you, "Runs With Sheep" a take off from the movie "Dances with Wolves." :D

Just kidding.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Who cares if Nash gets a chance to contend for a championship? He's had a bunch of chances and just wasn't good enough. Too bad. Should he get a chance to win a BS championship like Malone, Payton, Mourning, Garnett, Pierce and Allen?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, they interviewed Nash after Kerr bailed, and he mentioned several times how disappointed he was. Seeing that there is essentially zero chance this team will contend, I REALLY hope that Steve and Grant have a chance to try and contend for another team. It's the least this franchise can do for them, and Nash should bring at least a little value.

Well, if Nash and Hill are not pleased, most fans will get what they have been clamoring for... rebuild. I respect them both enough to give them what they want.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who cares if Nash gets a chance to contend for a championship? He's had a bunch of chances and just wasn't good enough. Too bad. Should he get a chance to win a BS championship like Malone, Payton, Mourning, Garnett, Pierce and Allen?

Nash was good enough. Maybe the teams he played for were not. I guess you would knock Stockton too for not winning a championship.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

I do, he's been a multi time MVP, and loyal to a fault to our franchise. I'd love to see him get a championship, and since it ain't coming here, somewhere else.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Well, if Nash and Hill are not pleased, most fans will get what they have been clamoring for... rebuild.

A rebuild that was immediately hampered by long term deals for mediocre players. (Especially Channing, who's contract will look even more ridiculous post CBA/lockout)

Either you're rebuilding or contending for a championship. Now we're half assing both, which makes you the Pacers of the world. Disgusting.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A rebuild that was immediately hampered by long term deals for mediocre players. Either you're rebuilding or contending for a championship. Now we're half assing both, which makes you the Pacers of the world. Disgusting.

EXACTLY. Why the frack tie up valuable cap space on players that are nothing but role players? Why? Sarver is bi-polar. Either rebuild or retool but don't try and retool with bench players that make your team worse.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nash was good enough. Maybe the teams he played for were not. I guess you would knock Stockton too for not winning a championship.

I'm not knocking him, but Nash and Stockton both had good teams and couldn't win championships. They are both great players, just not great enough to win a championship.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I like Nash and would like to see him hold up the trophy. That's all.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EXACTLY. Why the frack tie up valuable cap space on players that are nothing but role players? Why? Sarver is bi-polar. Either rebuild or retool but don't try and retool with bench players that make your team worse.

It seems like some fans think stars are just out there for the taking. They are not. It takes good drafting, luck in FA and timely trades. So should Sarver just pocket the money in hopes of getting a star? Then all the talk would be is how cheap he is again all over. I am not a fan of Sarver... never have been. The bottom line, Amare walks and most everybody balks. Yet no one seemed to want to pay Amare 5 years, 100M.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems like some fans think stars are just out there for the taking. They are not. It takes good drafting, luck in FA and timely trades. So should Sarver just pocket the money in hopes of getting a star? Then all the talk would be is how cheap he is again all over. I am not a fan of Sarver... never have been. The bottom line, Amare walks and most everybody balks. Yet know one seemed to want to pay Amare 5 years, 100M.

Who said that? You have to be smart and make the necessary trades to get players that can help your team. Spending money on players that make your team worse isn't helping your team. If you can't make a trade or acquire a player you don't spend it just to spend it.

I said it before. There was no scenario in which letting Amare walk benefits this team. We have nothing to show for it from a pick perspective and nothing to show for it with returning talent.

Then everyone argued but we will have 11 million in cap space to get a replacement starting forward and future cap flexibility. Well we spent it on 2 bench players and used up future cap flexibility in one fell swoop.

You cannot convince me that waiting to spend that money or working out a trade couldn't have netted you something better then Warrick.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm not knocking him, but Nash and Stockton both had good teams and couldn't win championships. They are both great players, just not great enough to win a championship.
I guess that makes Chauncey Billups better than Nash, Stockton, Malone, Barkley and anyone else that never won a championship.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You cannot convince me that waiting to spend that money or working out a trade couldn't have netted you something better then Warrick.

And I was thinking the acquisition of Warrick was the best move for the money. If you can compare the signing of Frye to the signing of Banks then you have something there. However, Banks never had even one good year with the Suns.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, if Nash and Hill are not pleased, most fans will get what they have been clamoring for... rebuild.

Except those wanting a rebuild didn't want to rebuild around the likes of Frye and Warrick.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I was thinking the acquisition of Warrick was the best move for the money. If you can compare the signing of Frye to the signing of Banks then you have something there. However, Banks never had even one good year with the Suns.

OK, I liken that to, I could buy a piece of crap or a better piece of crap. Buying the better piece of crap was the best move for the money. However, don't you still have a piece of crap?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except those wanting a rebuild didn't want to rebuild around the likes of Frye and Warrick.

Of course you know Frye and Warrick are role players. One can only hope the Suns can build upon a foundation for the future around Lopez, Dragic and Clark. Nash and Hill will need to be the rudder as well as a good GM. I think the Suns are short of some long term pieces. I can only hope the Suns make some additional moves to acquire young talent that can develop.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, I liken that to, I could buy a piece of crap or a better piece of crap. Buying the better piece of crap was the best move for the money. However, don't you still have a piece of crap?

I guess if you define Warrick as crap. I don't, at least not yet. I always thought he was a player that would play well for the Suns.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, still pisses me off. After what Gad posted a couple weeks back, I at least prepared myself for the suck. I'm still pissed. It's pretty obvious why Kerr/Griffin didn't agree with the direction of the team.

If the Houston option was legitimate, and we missed out on the opp because Sarver was playing dress up as GM, I'll be even more furious.

supposedly what the rockets were offering was Shane Battier, Ariza, and a resigned Scola. It was everybody else here who started talking about draft picks, Chase Budinger, Jordan Hill, etc. Ariza had what... one good year with the Lakers? He is a good defender, but he shot under 40% from the field last season and he is signed for the next four years (maybe five years I couldn't see on the hoops hype salary page) at $7 million per season. Battier? We don't need him, and he also shot under 40% last year. At least he is a better three point shooter but still would be below average on this Phoenix Suns team. Then we get the chance to overpay Scola, so he would agree to this crappy sign and trade. Of course before any of this can happen Amare Stoudemire would have to agree to sign in Houston, and the rockets would have to leave their skepticism about his knees at the door.

It's easy for us to sit and say, "well they should have made a sign and trade deal." It's entirely more difficult to really make one of these deals happen and get something good in return, especially with so much free agent money out there to be had.

Joe

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
supposedly what the rockets were offering was Shane Battier, Ariza, and a resigned Scola. It was everybody else here who started talking about draft picks, Chase Budinger, Jordan Hill, etc. Ariza had what... one good year with the Lakers? He is a good defender, but he shot under 40% from the field last season and he is signed for the next four years (maybe five years I couldn't see on the hoops hype salary page) at $7 million per season. Battier? We don't need him, and he also shot under 40% last year. At least he is a better three point shooter but still would be below average on this Phoenix Suns team. Then we get the chance to overpay Scola, so he would agree to this crappy sign and trade. Of course before any of this can happen Amare Stoudemire would have to agree to sign in Houston, and the rockets would have to leave their skepticism about his knees at the door.

It's easy for us to sit and say, "well they should have made a sign and trade deal." It's entirely more difficult to really make one of these deals happen and get something good in return, especially with so much free agent money out there to be had.

Joe

Which would have made us better next year, but also made us mediocre for years to come. The best option is to keep financial flexibility available for a possible max player next year. In order to do that we have to take a few steps back this year. Everything else is just band-aids and coverups.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Which would have made us better next year, but also made us mediocre for years to come. The best option is to keep financial flexibility available for a possible max player next year.
I am not sure if that is the best option, but you do bring up an interesting point. With JRich and Hill coming off the books next season, the Suns will have about $18M to spend that they wouldn't have had they trade Amare for longer term contracts or used a TPE. But this of course hinges on who's available and the Suns ability to sign them.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Joe

Bravo Joe.

cly2tw

Reaction score
I am not sure if that is the best option, but you do bring up an interesting point. With JRich and Hill coming off the books next season, the Suns will have about $18M to spend that they wouldn't have had they trade Amare for longer term contracts or used a TPE. But this of course hinges on who's available and the Suns ability to sign them.

Is there any star willing to join Sterling's team, given what everybody knows about him? :shrug:

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Is there any star willing to join Sterling's team, given what everybody knows about him? :shrug:
Right, that's the other concern. Of course if we can't get top tier free agents to sign here, then we might as well forget trying to win a title in the future.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05