Crowd control

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
...And you're still missing the point. I'm not sure how many times I have to say this, but I'll say it again: I expect the crowd to be very loud on Sunday. It won't affect the Eagles. Period.

Well, Mister Period. Here is a fact!
The crowd noise will affect your Eagles!
Take it to the bank. Period!

This is our house! This is our nest!
You have no idea!

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score
Well, Mister Period. Here is a fact!
The crowd noise will affect your Eagles!
Take it to the bank. Period!

This is our house! This is our nest!
You have no idea!

I'm with goeagles. It will be very loud. It will not be as loud as last week because of all the scalped-ticket "fans" replacing the face-value Real Fans that were able to get seats last week. And casual fans rarely know that they shouldn't yell when the D captain is relaying his signals or when the home offense is on the field. It will all cancel itself out.

This has been a fun discussion, no doubt. I'm kind of hoping that the Eagles get a quick INT for a TD early on to see how the crowd reacts.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its all about function.

If it is loud then the Eagles will take longer to make audibles. We watched the Falcons, the WR had to come back to get the new play.

Sure it affects veterans less than rookies but if they can't hear McNabb they can't hear him. Experience makes no difference.

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score
Its all about function.

If it is loud then the Eagles will take longer to make audibles. We watched the Falcons, the WR had to come back to get the new play.

Sure it affects veterans less than rookies but if they can't hear McNabb they can't hear him. Experience makes no difference.

Dang it! I was going to make that point!:D

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm with goeagles. It will be very loud. It will not be as loud as last week because of all the scalped-ticket "fans" replacing the face-value Real Fans that were able to get seats last week. And casual fans rarely know that they shouldn't yell when the D captain is relaying his signals or when the home offense is on the field. It will all cancel itself out.

This has been a fun discussion, no doubt. I'm kind of hoping that the Eagles get a quick INT for a TD early on to see how the crowd reacts.

Once again!
Read slowly.

You have no idea about our team or our fans!

Do I need to repeat?

You have no idea what your team is stepping into.

This is our houe, we live here!

Get over yourself!

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score
Once again!
Read slowly.

You have no idea about our team or our fans!

Do I need to repeat?

You have no idea what your team is stepping into.

This is our houe, we live here!

Get over yourself!

Okay. I guess that makes you the winner, then.

Say hi to your 73,000 pals at your next family BBQ since you obviously know the exact makeup of people attending this game.

Surely there is ZERO discernible difference in crowd noise between a game that had face-value tickets available over the span of a week for Joe Cardinals Fan vs. a six-minute sellout controlled in large part by ticket brokers with a heavy markup enticing season ticket holders to part ways with tickets for significant cash to quieter casual fans and fans of the opposing team.

And the Eagles, who have played in sold-out stadiums for the better part of a decade, have never played in a dome full of "excited fans" before and will be certainly rattled by the X-treme, unfathomable nature of the noise.

Clearly we're in the wrong on this one. You, sir, have set us straight and made mincemeat of our logic.

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score
As a side point, McNabb really doesn't audible very often. He relies on his TEs, RBs, and slot receivers to curl back to him on broken plays and go from there. And a play has to be very broken for him not to have a chance at scrambling out of the pocket to see what is available.

I wish there were stats to point to, but I'd wager that McNabb is in the lower 25% of starting QBs in terms of changing plays at the line. Probably even lower.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
As a side point, McNabb really doesn't audible very often. He relies on his TEs, RBs, and slot receivers to curl back to him on broken plays and go from there. And a play has to be very broken for him not to have a chance at scrambling out of the pocket to see what is available.

I wish there were stats to point to, but I'd wager that McNabb is in the lower 25% of starting QBs in terms of changing plays at the line. Probably even lower.

Very interesting. Someone somewhere probably counts that stat.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Okay. I guess that makes you the winner, then.

Say hi to your 73,000 pals at your next family BBQ since you obviously know the exact makeup of people attending this game.

Surely there is ZERO discernible difference in crowd noise between a game that had face-value tickets available over the span of a week for Joe Cardinals Fan vs. a six-minute sellout controlled in large part by ticket brokers with a heavy markup enticing season ticket holders to part ways with tickets for significant cash to quieter casual fans and fans of the opposing team.

And the Eagles, who have played in sold-out stadiums for the better part of a decade, have never played in a dome full of "excited fans" before and will be certainly rattled by the X-treme, unfathomable nature of the noise.

Clearly we're in the wrong on this one. You, sir, have set us straight and made mincemeat of our logic.

12 and 4 in this nest Mr. Random.
You do not know what happens here so don't even try to think you do.
Oh, the Eagles win in sold out stadiums everywhere.................
What happened the last time they were in Arizona?

We are by far the loudest and most disruptive crowd in the NFL.
If you think for a nanosecond it will not affect your team? You are sorely mistaken.

You see a couple of games and think you know?
You know nothing about this team or it's fans.
Your holier than thou atitude is what this team and their fans thrive on.
Keep it coming because we love it.

Last edited:

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score
Very interesting. Someone somewhere probably counts that stat.

Maybe. I didn't find anything. Google "mcnabb audible" with News or Blogs and you barely come up with anything.

I just don't recall seeing it much as a fan. If anything he might tell the RB next to him that he plans to pass the ball instead of a run and the RB should pick up the obvious blitz.

The Eagles are also less than speedy at getting in the play calls, so that's probably a factor. McNabb usually steps to the line with 4 or 5 seconds at best on the play clock, so it's rarely an option to change plays. Sure, some will quickly claim that this will be an advantage in the Dome on Sunday, but it's pretty standard stuff for the Eagles offense. They play every game like that.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Maybe. I didn't find anything. Google "mcnabb audible" with News or Blogs and you barely come up with anything.

I just don't recall seeing it much as a fan. If anything he might tell the RB next to him that he plans to pass the ball instead of a run and the RB should pick up the obvious blitz.

The Eagles are also less than speedy at getting in the play calls, so that's probably a factor. McNabb usually steps to the line with 4 or 5 seconds at best on the play clock, so it's rarely an option to change plays. Sure, some will quickly claim that this will be an advantage in the Dome on Sunday, but it's pretty standard stuff for the Eagles offense. They play every game like that.

PLease "Google" your life away!
The game is played on the field. and we own this field!

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score
12 and 4 in this nest Mr. Random.
You do not know what happens here so don't even to try to think you do.
Oh, the Eagles win in sold out stadiums everywhere.................
What happened the last time they were in Arizona?

We are by far the loudest and most disruptive crowd in the NFL.
If you think for a nanosecond it will not affect your team? You are sorely mistaken.

You see a couple of games and think you know?
You know nothing about this team or it's fans.
Your holier than thou atitude is what this team and their fans thrive on.
Keep it coming because we love it.

Your attitude as a fan is commendable. But please try and put SOMETHING of substance into your replies. This is a forum. Dragging out a rah-rah opposing-fans-know-nothing line repeatedly only goes so far in making your points and advancing conversation.

You tell me that I don't know your stadium or your fans. Fair enough. But you then tell me that Arizona fans are "by far the loudest and most disruptive crowd in the NFL." So I guess we're to assume you've personally visited the other 30 stadiums in the NFL and compared things? Or does your logic only work to attack my point?

I don't know much about Arizona fans. That's why I'm here. I'm curious. And while I'm sure you have a very devoted bunch attached to the team, it's apparent by ticket sales alone that you can't sell out the stadium very often. Your own team's players were shocked at the noise level last week and wondered why it was so different. Surely this isn't "by far the loudest and most disruptive crowd in the NFL" by your own players' standards. And they only visited eight other stadiums this year.

You won't have the same crowd in attendance. And the Eagles just don't get flustered by crowd noise. Enjoy the boost it might give to your defense but that's the most likely relevance any noise will have - assuming your own D captain can hear his plays being called in via headset mic over the surely deafening noise.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Your attitude as a fan is commendable. But please try and put SOMETHING of substance into your replies. This is a forum. Dragging out a rah-rah opposing-fans-know-nothing line repeatedly only goes so far in making your points and advancing conversation.

You tell me that I don't know your stadium or your fans. Fair enough. But you then tell me that Arizona fans are "by far the loudest and most disruptive crowd in the NFL." So I guess we're to assume you've personally visited the other 30 stadiums in the NFL and compared things? Or does your logic only work to attack my point?

I don't know much about Arizona fans. That's why I'm here. I'm curious. And while I'm sure you have a very devoted bunch attached to the team, it's apparent by ticket sales alone that you can't sell out the stadium very often. Your own team's players were shocked at the noise level last week and wondered why it was so different. Surely this isn't "by far the loudest and most disruptive crowd in the NFL" by your own players' standards. And they only visited eight other stadiums this year.

You won't have the same crowd in attendance. And the Eagles just don't get flustered by crowd noise. Enjoy the boost it might give to your defense but that's the most likely relevance any noise will have - assuming your own D captain can hear his plays being called in via headset mic over the surely deafening noise.

"Apperant by ticket sales?" This stadium has sold out every game that has been played here.
I don't know where you get your infromation from but maybe you should verify your sources.
You're right. You don't know much about Arizona fans. This crowd will disrute your team.
As I said;
You are sorely mistaken if you think otherwise.

Do you honestly think this is the first time we have heard the crap that you are spewing?

You do not scare us!
We will defeat you!
End of story!
This is our house!
We live here!
You and your team think you can come into our house and pervail?
It's not going to happen!

Your discussion is all about your team.
How you going to stop us?
How you going to stop the Three G's and the running game too?
In our HOUSE?

You may think your **** don't stink, but it does in our house!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Say hi to the executives and retirees that buy up half the seats in your row for us. You're going to have to yell extra loud to make up for them. ;)

Nice seats to have, though. Congrats.

I love my seats, and while what you describe may happen in some other sections, it won't happen in ours. There are only 3 or 4 seats that are sold to different people. And the fans in the rest of them wouldn't sell for anything.

Now, I also think you [dubya]misunderestimate[/dubya] what is going on here. While normally you would have execs and casual fans buying up tickets, what you also have here in Phoenix is a very disgruntled, fairweather, frontrunning group of fans who didn't trust the cards in the WC round but once they tasted success they jumped in with two feet. They aren't "casual" fans...just fairweather fans. They know the game, and love the game, but won't pay for Cardinals tickets unless they are winning. This town is in a freaking frenzy right now. Those fans will have no choice but to get loud.

And yeah, they need a bit of training up....we take the time to say "hush, newfans" when the offense takes the field, and to yell at them to get up and get loud on D. But they learn fast. It's not hard to do when you have 35,000 DIEHARD fans there showing them the way. The other 30K will come along nicely.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And as mentioned above, the cardinals stadium has sold out all 32 of the games played there (including post/preseason). The ONLY time they had an issue was the Atlanta game where they needed extensions, but Minnesota also needed extensions and had about twice the number of seats to sell. Nobody seems to mentions that.

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score
"Apperant by ticket sales?" This stadium has sold out every game that has been played here.
I don't know where you get your infromation from but maybe you should verify your sources.
You're right. You don't know much about Arizona fans. This crowd will disrute your team.
As I said;
You are sorely mistaken if you think otherwise.

Do you honestly think this is the first time we have heard the crap that you are spewing?

You do not scare us!
We will defeat you!
End of story!
This is our house!
We live here!
You and your team think you can come into our house and pervail?
It's not going to happen!

Your discussion is all about your team.
How you going to stop us?
How you going to stop the Three G's and the running game too?
In our HOUSE?

You may think your **** don't stink, but it does in our house!

Rah rah rah!
RoaR!
Rumble!
Eagles WIN WIIIIIIIIIN!

Carry on.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Guys, the noise and the results of the noise will become apparent to others soon enough...
Look, for people who are not here, the Cardinals have been a true, Webster's definition of "laughing stock"... That can not be denied. And though for us, here, who have seen this change coming over the last several years, we can't expect people who are not here to grasp the reality of what now exists here in Arizona... The stadium, the fans, the noise, the talent on the team, the coaching and yes, the ownership... It's all so distant from the well-earned perception this team built over the prior decades...
randomguy speaks for literally millions of football fans across this country. Yes, it's true. Non-Cardinal football fans simply can't begin to grasp the reality now. The only way to change all of this is by winning. We did so this year and regardless of what transpires on Sunday, we have begun the process. I have contended that what happens next season is actually more important than what happens this Sunday. But that's another discussion for another day...

Anyway - we know we fans will do what we ALWAYS do in our house. It will be a true delight to bring awareness to people like randomguy as to the level of fandom that exists in a place they thought to be a pro football wasteland!

BRING..... IT..... ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbup:

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score
And as mentioned above, the cardinals stadium has sold out all 32 of the games played there (including post/preseason). The ONLY time they had an issue was the Atlanta game where they needed extensions, but Minnesota also needed extensions and had about twice the number of seats to sell. Nobody seems to mentions that.

Thanks. That is strange the way the media portrayed it - you would think that the string of unbroken sellouts would have been a front-running fact in those articles. Why do you think the stadium would sell out 32 straight games and then have trouble with a huge postseason game last week? It didn't sound like ticket prices were the issue and it took forever to get them sold.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
:grabs:

This is an intesting arguement. Randomguy is correcvt on many points that you guys aren't giving him credit for. Either way it's kinda irrelevent as this game isn't even gonna be worth watching unless you're a Card's fan.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. That is strange the way the media portrayed it - you would think that the string of unbroken sellouts would have been a front-running fact in those articles. Why do you think the stadium would sell out 32 straight games and then have trouble with a huge postseason game last week? It didn't sound like ticket prices were the issue and it took forever to get them sold.

Ticket prices and the team collapsing post clinching the division, coupled with the Arizona frontrunner fanbase that simply expects the Cards to lose until they prove otherwise. Once they proved it, and proved it again in Carolina, the frontrunner fans (doesn't mean casual) jumped on board. It's sad, but we embrace them. They weren't jumping on for wild card week though. We knew for more than a month we'd be hosting the first round, and were pretty sure quite early in the season but I think many fans expected one and done and weren't very excited.

Season ticket holders got their invoice for the playoffs (all potential games) due in early december...the cards were crapping the bed, the Same Ol' Cards mentality was out, and Xmas in a bad economy meant a lot of people did not take the option. They figured we'd have a game and maybe a road game, but no way would they lay money down for an NFC Champ game we'd never get (odds were long on this one). So they figured they'd get Atlanta tickets on the secondary market, and they did. Because really, who is an Atlanta fan in Phoenix? And it's wild card week, nobody's travelling for that.

But then the stars aligned, you guys beat NY and here we are hosting. And all the season ticket holders like me who bit the bullet back in december and paid for the tickets are ecstatic to be using them, while others are paying double face to come, and they ARE paying it because they WANT to be here.

It's a curious little case study of fan perception of a team, economy and "chances" those tickets would be good. I'll be honest, a decision tree on this would have been interesting and given the chances, it might have leaned toward not taking the playoff option. But I couldn't give up my seats for anything in the world...

To clarify, there are about 35,000 absolute DIEHARDS of this team, who sweated and died at sun devil Shhhhole "stadium" that do not fall into that front runner fan category. There are 10s of thousands of others who started coming to the games when we got the new building, and many of them also don't fit into the category. But the MO of this town is a front-runner, fairweather town. That's most of the people we are seeing on TV saying how their favorite player is Antrel Rollie and such. Or wonder how that Lionheart QB is gonna do. But at this point, we don't care..bring 'em in. Big tent!

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:grabs:

This is an intesting arguement. Randomguy is correcvt on many points that you guys aren't giving him credit for. Either way it's kinda irrelevent as this game isn't even gonna be worth watching unless you're a Card's fan.

We had trouble selling preseason games, and we had to use a promotion that allowed season tickets holders to buy tickets to the Dallas game if they bought tickets to the Saints game as well.

Quite simply, this town isn't a Cards football town yet. The city and the organization hasn't really given us a reason to be. Not many (including myself) would go to more than a half a dozen SDS games because that stadium is just unforgiving. (lack of money had to do with it as well) We got a new stadium, with that new revenues. A new coach, and slowly this town is starting to become a Cards town. People don't change their allegiances overnight. A lot of them won't change until the hometown team gives them a reason to change. My neighbor for example, grew up in the Bay area and has been a 49er fan all of his life. He moved here about 5 years ago. At the beginning of the year, he finally wanted to be a part of the Cards fanbase.

A lot of what Donald brings up are valid points as well.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the biggest piles of crap in the NFL is that preseason games cost the same as regular season games.

I also think we have too many preseason games as it is.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why are you guys arguing with a troll?

He's not trolling.

The guy that was trolling last night though was sadly banned. He was an idiot and made his entire fanbase look bad. He should have been kept around for target practice.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05