D-backs vs. Dodgers series thread

Desert Rat

Veteran
Reaction score
The D-backs will continue their own seismic activity on the Golden State when they carry their momentum from a successful five-win start to this road trip up Interstate 5, exiting on Stadium Way and taking over Elysian Park in Chavez Ravine. In other words, the resplendent D-backs will visit the team still hot on their heels, the Dodgers, for a critical four game series. Both teams have winning records now, but Dodger Dogs are still the most overrated ballpark food. Unfortunately, the Dodgers won't get to face Haren :sad: . The rest of the pitching matchups...

Thursday - Webb vs. Lowe

July finishes as Webb comes off a win that kicked off this road trip. Back home last week, Webb held the Dodgers to one run in eight innings before Lyon's collapse cost Webb the win. Webb will need at least a repeat performance of his last game with LA, hopefully, he could go the full nine this time. Lowe has faced the D-backs twice this year, winning one of the games, in Los Angeles, but allowing five earned runs in just over 10 innings between both starts. He has won three of his last four starts.

Friday - R.Johnson vs. Kershaw

Rejuvenated Randy kicks off August carrying a scoreless inning streak of 15 and winning streak of four. The 44-year old lefthander has only nine strikeouts in his last three games. Johnson is a lifetime 7-6 against the Dodgers and has not faced them in 2008. The rookie southpaw Kershaw was born about six months before his opponent made his Major League debut. Kershaw has never pitched against Arizona. His last start was his first career victory, throttling the Nationals over six innings, which is the deepest that he has ever pitched in a Major League game.

Saturday - Petit vs. Kuroda

Petit takes over for the demoted Micah Owings. Petit defeated the Cubs is his last start, notching his only victory. Petit has pitched against the Dodgers three times in relief this season, allowing two earned runs in five innings while striking out five. Petit's ERA was just 1.59 in July, he hopes to continue that trend in August. Kuroda has been ice-cold since the All-Star Break, dropped his last two starts and registering an ERA of 9.81 in his last four. The last time Kuroda took the mound against the D-backs, he was knocked around for five runs in only two innings of work, but the Dodgers demoralized the D-backs for an 11-innings win at Chase Field. The D-backs have lit up Kuroda twice this year; in seven and 2/3 innings, Kuroday has allowed seven earned runs.

Sunday - Davis vs J.Johnson

Cancer survivor Doug Davis carried a perfect game through six innings of his last start, blanking the Padres through almost eight innings and throwing the most pitches he has thrown in a single game all season. He struggled in his last game against the Dodgers, lasting only three innings. Davis defeated the Dodgers earlier this season and has had success at Dodger Stadium, with a career 1.40 ERA there. The diabetic Jason Johnson made his season debut against the D-backs several weeks ago, allowing one run in three innings of relief. He spent the 2007 season with the Seibu Lions before signing on with the Dodgers organizaton this past spring. Johnson made his first start of the season last week, pitching six innings of shutout baseball. After three appearances, he carries an ERA of just 1.38.

This shapes up to be quite a series, call it the Big One. A pitching rematch Thursday, a generation gap difference Friday, a battle between pitchers whose seasons are going in opposite directions Saturday and a feel-good story of pitchers succeeding against diseases on Sunday. We'll see one of four things happen. The D-backs will...:
  • sweep and leave crumbling California with a five-game lead :D
  • take three games and a three-game lead :)
  • split the series and come out with what they went in with, a one-game lead :shrug:
  • drop three of four and fall one game behind the Dodgers :mad:
  • get swept, giving LA a three-game lead :bang:

Hopefully the choice at the top will be what we see! :thumbup:

Avondale Red Rage

Just wondering...
Reaction score
I'm really growing attached to our rotation. If Petit can provide a solid outing we are going to have some fun coming down the stretch!

Caution, subliminal messages to follow:

Manny, Manny, Manny, Manny, Manny, Manny. Manny, Manny, Manny, Manny, Manny, Manny.

BEAT LA! BEAT LA! BEAT LA! BEAT LA!

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
When was the last time the Dbacks swept a 4 game series? I'm going to make a bold prediction. The Dbacks are going to sweep the Dodgers.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
man what a huge series we have a chance here to make it real hard for the dodgers catch us in the division or we will let them take the lead if we play bad enough which I pray doesn't happen. I personaly believe we will tie the series in la which wouldn't be bad the dodgers will not let us sweep them in la would be nice if by some miracle it did happen though :). GO DBACKS BEAT THE DODGERS

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Way to go CoJack! Big double play to end the 8th. Who needs Eric Byrnes when Conor is in left.

Stallion

Cats, Cards, Bax, Suns
Reaction score
Way to go CoJack! Big double play to end the 8th. Who needs Eric Byrnes when Conor is in left.

That there was a huge play at both ends. Great catch and tag from Snyder.

Go Snakes!

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
yeah that was a double play amazing throw by Jackson 3 outs to go you better get it done Lyon

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes!!! Great win. Let's win another tomorrow.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes Dbacks win the first game 2-1 vs the dodgers Webb pitched a amazing game, and conor had a amazing throw to the plate which saved the game :). I just hope our offense picks it up a bit more but atleast we got the win with Webb on the mound GREAT STUFF DBACKS AND WAY TO GET IT DONE IN THE 9TH LYON

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Great win. Spell those set up relievers for the next three games. We are going to need them.

Get your "Manny Sucks" chants ready

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a great game (and a great play at the plate!) Fantastic win, DBacks! Let's take this series!

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Jesus.

Melvin has Tony Clark and Chris Burke starting tonight. I understand Romero has a jammed finger and is getting the night off, but I would start Chip Hale in right field before Burke.

What the heck is up with Upton? He can't still be hurt can he?

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harley, my fault. Melvin just wants to screw over my fantasy baseball team for another night. I only have 3 Dbaks on my entire roster and he just benched the two i started tonight: Romero and Tracy.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Jesus.

Melvin has Tony Clark and Chris Burke starting tonight. I understand Romero has a jammed finger and is getting the night off, but I would start Chip Hale in right field before Burke.
Kershaw, the Dodger starter is a lefty, so Melvin is starting Tony Clark (switch-hitter) at 1B and Burke (RH hitter) in RF, in place of the lefty swingers Tracy and Romero.

As a D'back this season, Clark is hitting .250 with 1 HR and 3 RBI's in 8 official AB's vs. lefties.

Chad Tracy is at .318 with 2 HR and 8 RBI's in 22 official AB's vs. lefties.

Clark is pretty good vs. lefties. Tracy has improved tremendously vs. lefties recently.

Romero is hitting .143 vs. LHP this season in 21 AB's. Burke is at .171 in 72 AB's. Not alot of difference there.

Romero is learning the league. Burke is a veteran with 3 1/2 times the AB 's vs. lefties this year.

So, it could go either way, in either case. Perhaps Melvin is using the opportunity to give Tracy some rest.

As far as Romero, I believe it would be more beneficial to give him the opportunity to experience hitting lefties. He isn't much worse than Burke even as a rookie on a limited basis. (I'm talking about all the times he was benched so far, before the jammed finger.)

But then, Melvin has shown how weak he is in developing BabyBacks.

I agree, HarleyRider, that Burke should be gone. Hopefully he will be when Upton returns.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Manny grounds out to 2nd base his first at bat, and we fail to get conor in on a double in the first inning. Man Burke sucks how do you not even swing at a 3-2 pitch with Johnson due up next :( ugh

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, everybody, the radio broadcast on 620KTAR has been synced with the video on Fozaz for the first time since I started muting the TV sound a few weeks back.

Hurrah!!! Never have to listen to Grace and Sutton again.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05