D-backs vs Dodgers series thread

Desert Rat

Veteran
Reaction score
OK, no more screwing around, the biggest series of the year is almost here and will mainly be played in front a national audience; you can watch the NL West leaders try to hang on to their slim lead Friday on ESPN (FSNAZ for Arizona viewers) and Saturday on FOX. The D-backs are coming off an emotional come-from-behind win that had the euphoria of a playoff game by the time it was over. To live and die in LA...

Friday - Haren vs. Lowe

Haren floundered through August and must fix his problems ASAP. History indicates that Septmeber could be worse, in September, he is a career 7-12 with a 4.27 ERA. Likewise, the offense supporting him must rapidly improve, too. Haren's teammates scored only twice in each of his last two games. Lowe dominated the D-backs over six innings in his last start, but has only followed up a win with another win in his next start twice this season. Lowe is 2-1 with a 2.78 ERA against Arizona, with the one loss coming at home.

Saturday - Webb vs. Billingsley

Webb failed to become the first major leaguer to win 20 games in 2008, but he will try for that twentieth win once again, this time in Chavez Ravine. A larger TV audience will follow along this time. His last two starts were bad losses (like there's a good loss?) where he accumulated an ERA of 15.75 in that pair of games. For the season, his ERA is up to 3.19. He defeated the Dodgers in Los Angeles once this year, holding the Dodgers to one run over eight innings. Billingsley's fortunes against Arizona turned completely around last week when he allowed just two runs in seven innings. His ERA against the D-backs in 2008 is 6.00, reduced via his last start.

Sunday - Scherzer vs. Kershaw - edited

While the NFL season kicks into high gear, NASCAR has its last race before their 'postseason', the final meeting of the season in the heated NL West chase for the division will complicate the average sports fan's viewing choices. If you choose baseball, the need-to-know stuff is...Scherzer was a late substitution for Randy Johnson. Johnson is resting a sore shoulder and he will not earn win #300 this year. Scherzer owns the best ERA (2.65) on the staff while pitching 34 innings. He pitched twice in relief against the Dodgers last week, allowing no runs in three total innings of work. Scherzer started three games in May, losing two of them, walking seven and striking out 16, but only allowing five earned runs in 15 innings. Scherzer battled arm fatigue through six relief appearances in the spring, was sent down to Tucson in June and was recalled in late August. Kershaw was sent to the minors at the end of August after a second straight poor performance, losing to the lowly Nats. After the calendar was flipped over, they had him U-turn and start for the big club a few days later. He responded with a seven-inning three-run win against another last place team, San Diego. In the only game Kershaw has ever pitched against Arizona, he pitched six shutout innings, but the Dodger bullpen failed him and he did not receive a decision.

Last edited:

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well time to get it started huge series to give us a good chance to see who will probally win the division. WE really must win both games with Haren and Webb won't be easy but we have to find a way to get it done!! I'm looking forward to this weekend should be fun Cardinals open up the season vs the 49ers and a huge series between the dodgers and dbacks can't wait :). GO DBACKS BEAT THE DODGERS

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Time for a little payback against the Dodgers. It is important that we lead the NL West once this series is over.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't been posting here lately because football season is on but I caught yesterday's game. Wow.

We need two out of three. I'll catch Friday's game but not the other two.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
We have our 1-3 pitchers going out there. No excuses this time!!!

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
man what the heck Haren how do you walk the pitcher with two outs :(

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is haren sick or something? how do you walk the pitcher with two outs than just throw a easy ball for the leadoff hitter to hit :( down 2-0 not a good start

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
well way to go haren man our entire pitching staff is horrible no one can get the job done anymore :( just take him out melvin

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well Webb better show up tommrow in a must win game I was real nervous with Haren going today same with Webb not a good feeling :(

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Haren hit the wall last year in the second half and it looks like he is doing it again this year.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still don't understand this frikken Directv thing....a baseball game on ESPN blacked out in Albuquerque???? WTF....oh and when you walk the opposing pitcher you deserve 3+ runs scored on you!!

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
come on haren help yourself out a little after almost gift wraping this to the dodgers

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
bah of course we fail to bring him in who wants to bet we score two runs in the 8th when were already down 7-0 :(

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man every ball that gets hit off Haren I think it's going to be a hr

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah I wish Melvin would show a little attitude every now and than he just always sits in the bullpen with a blank look on his face. Just like Vince Tobin the cardinals old coach would do lol. Well maybe by some miracle our pitching might actually show up the next two days

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
can melvin please take haren out of the game he can't get through two back to back innings without giving up a run :(

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
heh you really want to know jersey ok it's 5-0 dodgers 5th inning dbacks have one hit :(

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was watching at the bar, Haren looked sick. Is he sick or just not playing well?