DAMN IT!!! Johnson tells Suns not to match Atlanta's offer

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Breaking News just reported on ESPN's Game Night.

Apparently, unhappy with contract talks and having to "be the 4th option on the Suns", Joe Johnson has told Phoenix management not to match the offer made to him by the Hawks..

I'm on ESPN.com trying to get the story there to verify this, so I'll post the story as soon as it's up.

All I have to say about this is: Son of a bitch!

cly2tw

Reaction score
If he were serious about leaving for Hawks, he should have them seek a sign-and-trade to make it happen. He can't reasonably expect Suns let him go without any compensation.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Snake said:
Breaking News just reported on ESPN's Game Night.

Apparently, unhappy with contract talks and having to "be the 4th option on the Suns", Joe Johnson has told Phoenix management not to match the offer made to him by the Hawks..

I am so sick of this kind of crap!!!!!!!

"Oh, Phoenix disrepcected me; Atlanta's 70 Million is better them Phoenix's 70 Million, I get no love"
"I need to take care of my family"
Etc, etc.

Go, go to Atlanta.

I am so sick of punk milliomaire athletes.

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
O said:
I am so sick of this kind of crap!!!!!!!

"Oh, Phoenix disrepcected me; Atlanta's 70 Million is better them Phoenix's 70 Million, I get no love"
"I need to take care of my family"
Etc, etc.

Go, go to Atlanta.

I am so sick of punk milliomaire athletes.

He claims he doesn't like being the "4th Wheel"..

Let's see.. Do you want to be the 4th Wheel on a winning organization, a team that's on the cusp of a championship, or do you want to be the "4th Wheel" on a team that's going to be headed to the Lottery for the next decade??

I've defended Johnson on many different occasions, claiming he seemed like the type that was about more than the money.. Apparently I was wrong.

I'd match him just to spite.. I really would.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If JJ does not want to be here and the Suns sign him, he could be a cancer for this team. Maybe try and do a sign and trade and then try and sign Finley.

fordronken

Reaction score
Come on. Is he really gonna stop trying or play worse because he would rather be an Atlanta Hawk? Sure, it's fun if they're all friends. But if they aren't, and they play good basketball, I'm not gonna get too concernred.

And he isn't the "fourth option". Realistically, he is more the second option than the fourth option. More plays get called for Joe than Shawn and Nash would much rather let somebody else shoot the ball.

Argh.

nothin' but net

All Star
Reaction score
If that is true, no way we should do it. If atlanta wants him that bad, they gotta show us some love in return. If JJ has no loyalty to the Suns, we have no reason to let him go for nothing. I still think we should keep him anyway and see if he will still play before giving him up.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Let him go.
Let him live out the rest of his career in obscurity.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Elton Brand signed an offer sheet with Miami, told the Clips he didn't want to be there etc...

He's done nothing but play hard and be Elton Brand since the Clips matched.

If JJ's gonna sign an offer sheet with the Hawks he has to sell it like he really wants to be there. Why would the Hawks waste their time if he didn't?

PakistaniRambo

Registered
Reaction score
but this is messed up man. thats like a slap in the face to all suns fans. in that article he says if the suns match, he hopes everyone just forgets it ever happened. screw that, im booing him next time im at a game, thats for damn sure

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Here's the Official Story from Marc Stein

TORONTO -- Restricted free agent Joe Johnson, who next week plans to sign a lucrative offer sheet from the Atlanta Hawks, told ESPN.com on Friday night that he has asked the Phoenix Suns not to match the offer.

In town for Steve Nash's charity game at Air Canada Centre, Johnson revealed that he directly informed Phoenix managing partner Robert Sarver earlier this week that he would prefer to continue his career as a Hawk.

"We had a discussion," Johnson said in his first extended interview about his future since free agency began July 1.

"I did tell them that."

Asked why he wants to leave the Suns after a breakthrough season, for himself and the team, Johnson said: "It's a lot of things. How things were handled [with Johnson's contract] last summer, how things have been handled this summer. There's been some things going on that aren't great."

Informed late Friday of Johnson's comments, Suns officials declined to respond.

Johnson hoped to sign a six-year, $50 million extension with Phoenix before last season, but the talks stalled with the sides about $5 million apart. At the time, Sarver was hesitant to make another splashy expenditure after committing to front the $400 million purchase of the franchise and then signing Nash and Quentin Richardson to long-term deals worth a combined $110 million.

The Suns offered Johnson a six-year deal in the $60 million range this summer, some $30 million less than he's eligible to receive from his current team. Hoping for significantly more after averaging 17.1 points and shooting 48 percent on 3-pointers to help Phoenix win a stunning 62 games and advance to the Western Conference finals, Johnson and agent Arn Tellem quickly entered into negotiations with the Hawks.

According to sources close to the situation, Johnson is also unhappy with what he perceives as his standing as a "fourth wheel" behind the All-Star trio of Nash, Amare Stoudemire and Marion. Besides the opportunity to be the star man on its youthful roster, Atlanta is offering as much as the rules allow without holding Johnson's Larry Bird rights -- a frontloaded five-year deal worth an estimated $70 million, with an up-front payment as high as $20 million in Year 1.

The Hawks have been planning for weeks to sign Johnson to an offer sheet as soon as the leaguewide moratorium on free-agent signings is lifted. That day, originally scheduled for July 22, is expected to come Tuesday.

The Suns, who would have seven days to match an offer sheet, have consistently said they intend to do just that, and NBA front-office sources reiterated Friday that Phoenix hasn't changed its stance.

Even Johnson, when asked to describe the Suns' reaction to his request to be set free, said: "They say they're going to match."

Phoenix chairman Jerry Colangelo and team president Bryan Colangelo delivered that message to Tellem in a July 9 meeting during a summer-league game in Las Vegas. To increase its matching flexibility, Phoenix agreed Wednesday to trade center Jake Voskuhl to Charlotte and thus remove nearly $2 million from next season's payroll.

It remains to be seen whether Johnson will indeed sign with the Hawks as soon the moratorium ends. If he is intent on going to Atlanta, he and Tellem could choose to hold off on signing the offer sheet in an attempt to draw an improved contract offer out of the Suns or to convince the Suns to engage Atlanta in sign-and-trade talks.

A sign-and-trade could ultimately appeal to the Suns as well, if they decide over the weekend that Johnson's let-me-go plea is more than a mere statement of frustration with negotiations. It's unlikely they would be willing to lose one of their prized assets without compensation, even if management changes course and determines that it's best to sever ties with a player who says he wants to leave.

Johnson, though, insists that his play and commitment to the Suns wouldn't be affected if a signed Hawks offer sheet results in a return to the desert.

"I would come back and work as hard as I ever have," Johnson said. "If they match, all this stuff is behind me from that minute on. I hope everybody [in Phoenix] puts everything behind them, too."

The prospect of Johnson switching teams made Friday's inaugural Steve Nash Foundation Charity Classic perhaps the last time Nash, Marion and Johnson will play together as teammates. Stoudemire was also scheduled to play but joined Philadelphia's Allen Iverson as a late withdrawal.

"I'm really trying not to think about that," Nash said. "No one wants us to keep Joe more than I do. I've been talking to him and trying to persuade him to stay, because we really have a special thing going in Phoenix, but I want whatever he feels is best for him."

Nash added that Johnson's new public stance doesn't change how much his teammates want him to stay, repeating his oft-cited belief that Johnson's shooting and ballhandling skills are as important to the Suns' success as Nash's chemistry with finishers Stoudemire and Marion.

Marion echoed that, saying: "I understand that this is a business and everybody's got to do [what's best] for their family, but we're hoping Joe don't need nothing more than a Suns jersey next year."

"They're in my ear every five minutes," Johnson said with a laugh, referring to persistent lobbying from Nash and Marion.

Some league executives have privately questioned whether the Suns would indeed match a max offer sheet to Johnson, given Sarver's stated aversion to letting his annual payroll stray far beyond $50 million. With Johnson earning an average annual wage of $12 million and Stoudemire soon to receive a maximum contract extension that would kick in starting with the 2006-07 season, Phoenix would be in the rare position of carrying four players who earn roughly $50 million by themselves.

If Johnson winds up with the Hawks, Nash plans to intensify his efforts to recruit Michael Finley of the Dallas Mavericks as a replacement. Unless the Mavericks can trade Finley first, in hopes of keeping Finley out of the Western Conference, they are expected to use the new amnesty clause to release the 32-year-old and spare themselves from nearly $52 million in luxury-tax payments.

The Hawks, dating to last summer, have had no success in their high-dollar attempts to land a prominent restricted free agent. Yet they remain quietly hopeful that they'll soon be able to play Johnson as a point guard should they finally score this time.

Johnson's playmaking ability is viewed by scouts as a critical component to the Suns' success. Phoenix doesn't have another dependable ballhandler to punish opponents who try to force the ball out of Nash's hands.

"I love the idea," Johnson said. "I'd love that, having the ball in my hands. I think I'm a great shooter, but that's where I think I'm most effective, making decisions."

Kolo

Reaction score
If the Hawks feel JJ's worth $70 million, maybe they'll think it's worth giving up Al Harrington or Josh Smith and some picks in a sign and trade to ensure they get him. This assumes quite a bit, but I'd take Mike Finley and Al Harrington for $9 million a year combined over JJ for $14 million a year.

And if we do lose JJ, we'll need to sign a veteran pg to back up Nash (I thought we did anyway, but w/out JJ to handle the ball we'll have to get one).

If he wants to go, let him--so long as we can get an asset or two in return. Otherwise, match the offer sheet and let JJ be ticked if he wants to be.

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Kolobotomy said:
If the Hawks feel JJ's worth $70 million, maybe they'll think it's worth giving up Al Harrington or Josh Smith and some picks in a sign and trade to ensure they get him. This assumes quite a bit, but I'd take Mike Finley and Al Harrington for $9 million a year combined over JJ for $14 million a year.

And if we do lose JJ, we'll need to sign a veteran pg to back up Nash (I thought we did anyway, but w/out JJ to handle the ball we'll have to get one).

If he wants to go, let him--so long as we can get an asset or two in return. Otherwise, match the offer sheet and let JJ be ticked if he wants to be.

Harrington and Smith for JJ? I'll take that.. Better than nothing.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Easy solution:

Refuse to let ATL have him UNLESS they gave up Josh Smith. Sign Finley. Finley will be able to step right in for JJ. Smith will develop.

If JJ doesnt want to be here, then the hell with him. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Last edited:

PakistaniRambo

Registered
Reaction score
harrington is a hack. smith is a decent prospect, but i'd still rather have JJ than anyone on their roster

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It still 80% standard contract propaganda from what I hear.

JJ and his agent will continue to do what they need to be done to keep that Atlanta offer on the table. If the Hawks back off at the last minute, the suns will not offer the max to JJ and make him a decision to pick either a 1 year contract or a lower 6 year extension (lower than the hawks offer).

JJ is doing what everyone at this position will do. Thats keep interested team in the running so the MAX offer sheet is signed. Then thats the only way JJ and his agent gets what he wants.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, this may be a good eye opener for JJ and a measure of Atlanta's resolve to get him.

If I were the Suns I would ask for some of the best young talent on Atlanta's squad staring with Marvin Williams, Josh Smith and perhaps Josh Childress. I know they are not going to give them up for JJ.

Then JJ can see what his value is to Atlanta. I think Atlanta will start back pedaling pretty quickly.

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bah, much ado about nothing. The Suns will match and by December no one will care about this.

Forrestham

Freebird62
Reaction score
This all sounds like negotiating propaganda. Think he is gettnig advise from his agent. If he said he wanted to be a Sun, Atlanta would back off. Joe is more valuable than Harrington or Smith. Finley is not a viable option unless he is let go.
I agree lets agress for Willams and HArrington along with lottery picks the next 3 years and see how bad they want him.
I still feel he will be the same Joe in a Phoenix uniform. All will be well once this is over.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
jandaman said:
It still 80% standard contract propaganda from what I hear.

JJ and his agent will continue to do what they need to be done to keep that Atlanta offer on the table. If the Hawks back off at the last minute, the suns will not offer the max to JJ and make him a decision to pick either a 1 year contract or a lower 6 year extension (lower than the hawks offer).

JJ is doing what everyone at this position will do. Thats keep interested team in the running so the MAX offer sheet is signed. Then thats the only way JJ and his agent gets what he wants.

Part of its that and part may be that JJ hasn't liked the way that contract negotiations began with the Suns (i.e. doing something crazy like not offering him the max right away ... which I agree with the Suns' stance on that)

JJ is going nowhere and this nonsense can be put to rest. Lets just get the dang FA period begin already. Sheesh

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
What absolutely amazes the hell out of me is listening to Johnson talk about what the Suns "haven't done for him".

Well, let's talk about what the Suns HAVE done to accomodate this guy..

First, they all but gave a potent scorer and a first round draft pick the hell away. Yes, Thomas makes the Suns a better team defensively, but was he worth a 1st and a guy like Richardson? Probably not. That was mainly done to shed salary to accomodate Johnson's contractual demands. Same with Voshkul. No, Jake wasn't an All Star, but the fact was they gave him away, once again to save cap space.

Secondly, the Suns have gone out of their way to let it be known that Johnson was their #1 Priority this post-season. I don't know how much more they could have stated it to the media. It almost got naseauting (sic) listening to it, but they certainly made it known.

Truth be told, this all sucks. I can't think of a better way to put it.

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
If there is a sign and trade...we should ask for Salim S. too...I heard he's ripping it up in the summer league...quality guard shooting right there

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not really upset with JJ at all. He never said he would hate to return to the Phoenix Suns. He just said he would prefer to go to the Atlanta Hawks. I saw this one coming a few months ago. I just thought he would want to go to Cleveland where he could be the wing man to LeBron James.

Atlanta showed him more love this summer than the Phoenix Suns did. Sure, the Suns have said they are willing to match any offer, but they forced someone else to give it to him first. Once Michael Redd, Ray Allen, and Larry Hughes got their deals it should have been clear that it was going to take at least the maximum another team could offer to keep JJ.

Match him. He'll be happy next season. Everything will be fine.

Joe Mama

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05