D'Antoni fires back at Barkley

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't stand how CB is always negative about the Suns. However, in this case I think D'Antoni deserves the criticism for how he has not only used the bench but the lack of development of the bench. It's no secret that the Suns are going to run less in the playoffs when the game slows down. We have some guys on this roster that can run half court sets. If they don't get playing time now, how the heck can you expect them to contribute in the playoffs???

People are acting D'Antoni is beyond crticism because we have a great record and a great offense. Since when did it become a crime to point out a weakness on a good team?

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Tulumello article on the subject.

I have to agree with D'Antoni. The numbers and facts just don't support Barkley's argument.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/84602?source=rss&dest=STY-84602

D’Antoni says Barkley went ‘overboard’
Mike Tulumello, Tribune

Mike D’Antoni is tiring of hearing people critique how he divides up minutes among his players. That seems to go double for Charles Barkley, the ex-Suns star and current TNT broadcaster.

Barkley criticized D’Antoni at length Tuesday night, saying the Suns coach is running the risk of wearing out Steve Nash for the playoffs by playing him too much now. He also said the Suns don’t play their backup point guards enough to allow them to develop confidence.

The next night, D’Antoni fired back at Barkley, pointing to past criticisms of Barkley’s efforts at staying in shape.

“He didn’t train. And he blew championships. If you train, maybe you don’t blow championships.

“That’s why Phoenix is on the schneid,” he said, a reference to the Suns’ status as the NBA’s most successful franchise not to have won a title.

In Nash, he said, “We have a guy who trains.”

D’Antoni said the Suns have only two players in the top 40 in minutes played — Shawn Marion (No. 17 at 38.6 minutes) and Raja Bell (No. 25 at 37.5 minutes).

Nash is playing 35.1 minutes per game this season.

He averaged 34.3 minutes two years ago and 35.4 minutes last season. And in those two seasons, D’Antoni said Nash not only didn’t wear down, “His numbers in the playoffs were off the charts.”

As for not developing backup point guards, D’Antoni said Leandro Barbosa has played extensively and has played well.

So, “You’re talking about a third point guard (Marcus Banks).”

On Thursday, D’Antoni softened his tone, but stuck to his point: “He said everybody knows Steve breaks down in the playoffs, and the Suns break down. I don’t know of any evidence. That’s the only thing I’m worried about.”

He pointed out the Suns had two straight great Game 7s last year against the Los Angeles Lakers and Clippers, “and we weren’t tired.”

“Then Raja went down, and Dallas was a better team (in the conference finals),” D’Antoni added.

“Two years ago, we beat Dallas without Joe Johnson, and then San Antonio beat us (in the conference finals).

“We’re not apologizing for what we did in the playoffs the last two years.”

Barkley, speaking through a TNT spokesman, declined to respond.

D’Antoni was asked if he expects criticism from fans if Nash goes down with an injury and the Suns flop again. The team recently went 1-3 without him.

He pointed out the Suns also were missing Boris Diaw and Kurt Thomas.

“You can’t lose three of your top seven. It’s unbelievable.”

He also said, “If he goes out, we’re going to lose. You can write it down.

“We won 29 games (the season) before he got here.”

The Suns coach said he thought Barkley went “overboard” in his critique, saying, “Just make your point and move on. But they belabored it for about half an hour.”

He acknowledged the Suns could latch onto Barkley’s thinking in tough times, a situation he wants to head off.

“I just want our guys not to have excuses. … You start feeling sorry for yourself when things aren’t going right and you might say, ‘There’s an excuse I can hang onto.’

“We’re not going to do that.”

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'd be curious as to what the average amount of minutes teams give to their bench is. Like, not how many guys play, but how many minutes are given to the reserves. Given that the Suns play 3 reserves but play them quite a bit, I would almost guess that the Suns bench minutes average is pretty close with the norm.

you guys are gonna laugh at me for this . . .

i don't know the actual averages, but b/c of the criticism of dantoni's use of the bench starting last year i sort of checked after each game. while perusing the box score i'd add up our bench minutes against the opponent's bench minutes. we almost always come out way behind. sometimes even a full game's worth (48 mins). blowouts are different, but in most games we're a lot more limited with our bench minutes.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
you guys are gonna laugh at me for this . . .

i don't know the actual averages, but b/c of the criticism of dantoni's use of the bench starting last year i sort of checked after each game. while perusing the box score i'd add up our bench minutes against the opponent's bench minutes. we almost always come out way behind. sometimes even a full game's worth (48 mins). blowouts are different, but in most games we're a lot more limited with our bench minutes.

Fair enough.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add...

:biglaugh: at you for doing this

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
If someone gets hurt it's another story...
But it's not another story. It's a strong possibility, and should be prepared for during the season.

...but there just aren't that many players that can run and shoot with the proficiency that D'Antoni's "system" requires.
And that's where Mike D'Antoni the GM hasn't done his job. We don't need many, just a couple.

What do you think?

TheFallen49

Veteran
Reaction score
The reason I (and Barkley) feel depth is important specifically on your Suns team is because of injuries down the stretch. You play your style of play for 82 games and you will get some injuries, then your going into the playoffs contending for the top seed (therefore being very competitive and not taking any "off" nights) and you can see how it's risky.

If you want proof you can look at last year when Raja was injured, i'm sure a lot of you feel you could have won or extended that Dallas series to seven if he had been available. I just don't understand how playing your bench guys is going to hurt anyone at all (especially since you have such a cushion as the second seed between #1 and #3 now, it's the right time to get them contributing.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
I think the difference is that the Suns don't have semi-competent 9th or 10th men who can be used in case of injury. When someone goes down, the usual core just plays more. Recently, Banks and even Burke bucked that trend a bit, which was good, but it's still what separates the Suns from most other good teams. As we've seen many times this season, the Suns' bottom five is among the worst in the league, and that shows up when people in the rotation get hurt.

Anyone else think our bottom five would be vastly improved if D'A, and BC before him, didn't trade away so many picks? I'm getting sick of hearing about FA in the offseason and getting disappointed come draft night. Signing Nash and Bell is proof enough that FA has helped the team though.

sandeepgm

Reaction score
I think D'Antoni will use his bench more now that it appears that we won't get the #1 seed.

I would still like to see Nash rest a few more games. His shoulder is clearly still bothering him.

Dude, you from SMU. i went there too. Damn, how did you end up not being a mavs fan?