Dback/Padres Series 4/24-26

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Webb on the mound tonight, thank the Lord!!! We need to start winning some series consecutively and a win tonight would be a great start. GO DBACKS!

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Anyone else upset that the Ump didn't throw Shawn Green out, for arguing at the plate??

Real fair, Ump. :rolleyes:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Melvin better let Webb pitch the 9th. The Padres are not hitting him well.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Diamondbacks get a gift run thanks to a horrible call at first. Webb gets an infield hit to bring in the 4th run.:)

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
Melvin better let Webb pitch the 9th. The Padres are not hitting him well.

Diddo.... Thank God for Brandon Webb! He is giving our bullpen a MUCH NEEDED rest and will most likely give us a win. Lets just hope that either Miguel, El Duque, or Vargas can eat some innings this series as well. We are really wearing our pen out and it is way too early. Webb just got an RBI!!!! Ha, what a stud!

Other great news, Ortiz got sent to the pen. That means that after a month of stinkin it up in the pen, he'll be cut and will be long gone. Another good move by Byrnes

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Diamondbacks win 4-1! Webb tired in the 9th and a good move to bring in Papa Grande for the save! Props to Webb for pitching a great game and also maybe those who were writing negative stuff about Estrada will be quiet now. The guy has been hitting well and came up with a huge double tonight.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Maybe you need to start a 'consensus what to do with Shawn Green' thread. No, wait, Bomel first!

AZZenny

Reaction score
Estrada is definitely looking better -- as one could only hope.

Isn't it nice to have a 2nd baseman who flies parallel to the ground and nabs balls, for a change?

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
Maybe you need to start a 'consensus what to do with Shawn Green' thread. No, wait, Bomel first!

Don't worry, it's coming. I nearly got thrown out of the last game of the homestand againts the Giants last week for screaming at S. Green. I wasn't even cursing.... God forbid anyone yell in that morgue of ballpark. Thats a totally different topic though but it really pisses me off

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
Diamondbacks win 4-1! Webb tired in the 9th and a good move to bring in Papa Grande for the save! Props to Webb for pitching a great game and also maybe those who were writing negative stuff about Estrada will be quiet now. The guy has been hitting well and came up with a huge double tonight.

I tried to make a post in defense of Estrada after the negative post was made about his performance thus far... It didn't go through for some reason and I didn't feel like writing it again but here it is:

While Estrada has struggled at the plate, he has done several other things that are very crucial to this team. He has been very very good defensively and has called great games when behind the plate. The night that poster dogged his offensive performance Estarda started to come around. He hit 3 deep balls to the warning track that night and has been hitting it solid ever since. Plus, MLB catchers are brought in primarily for their defensive and game calling abilities while their offense is purely a bonus. Look at catchers like Mike Matheny, Jason Kendall, Damian Miller, and Brad Ausmus whom are all great defensive catchers yet don't have very good bats. They can also handle young and veteran pitchers very well and are known for their game calling. Catchers like Piazza, Javy Lopez (even though he's primarily a DH now), Pudge, etc., can all hit but are below avg behind the plate.

Estrada has done all the small things as well. How many times last year did you see our catchers go out to the mound and communicate/calm down the pitchers. He repeatedly makes sure him and the pitcher are on the same page with signs and pitch calling. He has also picked several runners off leaning at first or tryting to steal second. He blocks everything that comes his way.... Look at what happened when Snyder was in the game catching for Miggy against the Giants. While Miggy threw some wild pitches, Snyder should have stopped most of those pitches yet a half dozen balls went to the backstop and runners kept advancing. Overall, I am impressed so far with Estrada regardless of how he is batting

FinleyLover

Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm impressed with Estrada also. He certainly beats the crap out of Koyie Hill/Chris Snyder combo from last year. I think Snyder has someone to compete with and so this is also making him better. IMO, a great move by Brynes.

FinleyLover

Veteran
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
Don't worry, it's coming. I nearly got thrown out of the last game of the homestand againts the Giants last week for screaming at S. Green. I wasn't even cursing.... God forbid anyone yell in that morgue of ballpark. Thats a totally different topic though but it really pisses me off
Gawd, I get SOOOO friggin tired of being the only one to yell when I make the drive to Phoenix. A morgue is a good name. I was in St. Louis late last week until Sunday and I caught a Cardinals/Cubs game on Saturday. Amazing energy, competition and spirit. The fans are sooo knowledgable and passionate. The rivalry was very intense, but still respectful (not mean spirited like the Sox/Yanks). Amazing game. Everyone, and I mean everyone, was cheering and standing up on 3-2 counts. It was so nice :thewave: :fans: :rockon:

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Tonights game should be very tough... We go against Peavy who we couldn't sniff hitting last season. In 5 games (38.2 innings pitched) against the Dbacks last season, Peavy was 3-0 with a 1.91 ERA, had 33 KO's compared to only 6 walks, and held us to a batting avg of .191. Vargas goes for us tonight and he has been horrible his last 2 starts- 6 IP, 11 ER's, 5 BB's vs. 5 KO's. Hopefully our new lineup (left handed heavy which is good) can jump on Peavy early and Vargas can find the same form he had against the Brewers in his first start of the season.

Lineup for Tues night:

Counsell (good to see him back in the linep, not intimidated by anyone)
Hudson
Tracy
Gonzo
Jackson
S. Green (LOSER)
Estrada
Byrnes
Vargas

The lineup looks good except I would love to see DaVannon in the lineup as opposed to the worthless Shawn Green

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Vargas is looking solid!! Hopefully we can hold this 2-0 lead. Runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs and S Green gounds and doesnt score or advance the runners. What a loser

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Way to go Conor(CoJack) as he doubles in 3 runs and the Diamondbacks take a 5-0 lead!

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
Way to go Conor(CoJack) as he doubles in 3 runs and the Diamondbacks take a 5-0 lead!

CoJack's the man! Vargas is pitching unbelievable! Him and Webb are giving our bullpen much needed rest. How about Counsell- 3 hits so far in this game and he sat that last 5 games. I haven't been so happy as a Dback fan in a long time. Finish off the sweep tomorrow, Ortiz in the pen/somene else getting a shot in the rotation, our bats are coming around, pitching is getting better, bullpen is sitting on their arses, Papa G back to blowin heat past batters, Q and Chris Young tearing it up in Tucson......... GO DBACKS!

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
D'Backs win 7-0! Props to Vargas and CoJack!! Going for the sweep tomorrow.

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
San Fran lost tonight and the Dodgers are tied up in the 14th with Houson. If L.A. loses, we'll be tied with them 1.5 games back of the Giants at a game below .500. Great job Webb and Vargas- 1 ER in the last 2 games! Lets get the sweep tomorrow!

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
San Fran lost tonight and the Dodgers are tied up in the 14th with Houson. If L.A. loses, we'll be tied with them 1.5 games back of the Giants at a game below .500. Great job Webb and Vargas- 1 ER in the last 2 games! Lets get the sweep tomorrow!

Dodgers lost 4-3 to the Astros!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan