Dbacks vs Padres Series

HooverDam

Reaction score
I'm always for letting your starter go until he proves he can't, or shouldn't go any longer. Owings was doing extremely well, and they put in Slaten who hasn't pitched much at all lately, a very risky move, which obviously didn't pay off.

EDIT: Game over, Dbacks lose. The two causes, not sending Upton and sitting Owings. In other words, overly conservative managing.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Now would be a time to exxperiment. Put someone with a higher BA in the lead-off spot and bring Young down to the middle of the order. At least do something....

Stallion

Cats, Cards, Bax, Suns
Reaction score
Ouch, talk about a team taking care of business went it counts...and it wasn't us. :(

Tomorrow's game becomes really big, just from a mental standpoint. Can't leave San Diego empty-handed.

Go tomorrow!

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
The two causes, not sending Upton and sitting Owings. In other words, overly conservative managing.
I'm certainly no Melvin apologist, but the fact that we're getting zero offense from two power positions in 3B and RF is probably the main culprit for the losing.

And I swear if see Byrnes' unnecessarily jump throw another ball ten feet wide of the bag I'm going to go nuts.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I'm certainly no Melvin apologist, but the fact that we're getting zero offense from two power positions in 3B and RF is probably the main culprit for the losing.

Thats true too, but Melvin and Hale's two odd decisions tonight didn't help. I can't be too disappointed in the RF/3B positions though considering that they are being manned by rookies who were brought up from AA. If the Dbacks are going to win the division, Hudson and Byrnes are going to have to get hot and carry the team like they did earlier in the year.

Last edited:

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Thats true too, but Melvin and Hale's two odd decisions tonight didn't help. I can't be too disappointed in the RF/3B positions though considering that they are being manned by rookies who were brought up from AA. If the Dbacks are going to win the division, Hudson and Byrnes are going to have to get hot and carry the team like they did earlier in the year.

I can't really fault them for either decision honestly.

Owings hits a wall after the 90 pitch count so I understand not pitching him longer. Not sending Upton wasn't that much of a conservative decision considering the hit was a SINGLE and its very iffy that he would have made it (although Upton does have wheels).

The team needs to learn to create runs rather then relying on the long ball ... do some hit and runs, steal bases, etc

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The team needs to learn to create runs rather then relying on the long ball ... do some hit and runs, steal bases, etc
Managing National League style in the National League? 'Not the D'backs approach.

National League managers and players are much more successful (Torre and Scocia, to name two) managing in the AL, than American leaguers are managing in the NL.

That's what was so surprising about Bob Brenly. His background was predominately National League, but he managed like an American Leaguer -- everybody try to put the ball in the air.

Stallion

Cats, Cards, Bax, Suns
Reaction score
A new day, a new chance to get back into first place. Reynolds with a big fly. 2-0 good guys in the 2nd. :thumbup:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Reynolds with a big fly.
I really like Mark Grace's comments after Reynolds hit his mammoth HR.

Something to the effect of . . . Mark Reynolds doesn't have to swing for a HR each time to hit HR's.

And . . . the (rest of the) Diamondbacks have to stop swinging for the fences and start going for the gaps. When Chris Young went on his HR tear (his HR's for awhile were his only hits), everyone else tried for a HR each time up, and the D'backs went into a nosedive. That's what Gracie said.

Also, Sutton talked about how Bob Melvin went to each player and told them to keep their chin up during this losing streak or they wouldn't play.

How about saying positives rather than negatives and telling them to swing for lines drives and cut down on their popups?

Stallion

Cats, Cards, Bax, Suns
Reaction score
Reynolds comes through again! 2-run 2-out double in the 5th! 5-0 Snakes!! :D

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Reynolds comes through again! 2-run 2-out double in the 5th! 5-0 Snakes!! :D

That was a 3 run double baby!

6-0 Snakes!

(don't mean to call you out, but gotta give Reynolds his due, especially with his struggles lately)

:thumbup:

Stallion

Cats, Cards, Bax, Suns
Reaction score
That was a 3 run double baby!

6-0 Snakes!

(don't mean to call you out, but gotta give Reynolds his due, especially with his struggles lately)

:thumbup:

Hey, I hear ya. I'm "watching" on the internet and Yahoo had it wrong. They fixed it and we've got all 6 runs! :D

nativesunsfan

Reaction score
I have listened to the last 3 games on the radio and regreted it. So tonight i decided not to listen and woo hoo.
Guess I better just web cast it from now on. Actually will have to since the only games I get are the dogs and pads. Lets get our Lead in the West back. Go Dbacks!!!!

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Who saves the day?

Attachments

• DareDevil.jpg
    DareDevil.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 52

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, nice to see a little fight from the boys, not getting completely swept like the Sox and Mets - still in first - OH MY GOD - DID ANYONE JUST SEE THAT MELO DUNK?!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
holy sweet jesus, I'm becoming a huge curse on this team. 8-0 now 8-5? Two guys on, one out? Come on guys - get your stuff together.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If they lose this game they will never recover from it.