Deal for PG Not Nearer Than Yesterday

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Philly bet on him being young and improving. They were obviously mistaken, but do you honestly think the Suns will make the same mistake twice? And at a higher salary, no less?

I understand your point of view.

I look at Steven Hunter for what he did do for the Suns as a role player. I don't think he was a mistake, especially at the salary the Suns paid him back then (maybe not even a million). As a matter of fact, Hunter was a real bargain for the role he played.

Now I only wish Burke or Skita could have played so well.

At least Hunter earned his salary with Phoenix and actually got some quality playing time. Actually, I think his salary with Philly is not that bad although it ties up money for something like five years???

I enjoyed the conversation. We agree Hunter, in all likelihood, is not coming back to the Suns anytime soon. However, I would not judge Hunter based upon on how Philly used him.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Guys, I hate to be so naive, but please explain this to me. What good is the Trade exception to Philly? Do they get a year to exercise it as we did? Or does it still expire on Aug 21? Can they use it at all? If they can't use it at all, from their perspective they are only cutting salary and gaining a 2nd round pick, correct? If they can use the TE, they must need it for the package to send AI away to Boston, no? Last thing, who grants these Trade exceptions? The league? Why?

Thanks for your patience.

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
TucsonDevil said:
Guys, I hate to be so naive, but please explain this to me. What good is the Trade exception to Philly? Do they get a year to exercise it as we did? Or does it still expire on Aug 21? Can they use it at all? If they can't use it at all, from their perspective they are only cutting salary and gaining a 2nd round pick, correct? If they can use the TE, they must need it for the package to send AI away to Boston, no? Last thing, who grants these Trade exceptions? The league? Why?

Larry Coon explains it better than we can...

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#69

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TucsonDevil said:

I'd probably be the last one you would want to talk to about this issue. However, the TE (using Salmons as an example) the Suns could use it to acquire him without sending a player in return, just perhaps a second round pick. In other words, Philly could lose salary this way without having to take a player back.

The TE expires after one full year (probably the date you mentioned). The TE was acquired in the JJ trade with Atlanta per the league and/or CBA. I don't know how it is computed, but it related to the value of JJ's contract as I understand it. Phoenix used almost half of it to acquire James Jones.

I thought the TE expired if Phoenix uses it to acquire a player, however, maybe it can be passed along. I just don't know. I believe Phoenix's TE is 3.6 million... the same as Salmons' contract.

Edit: Just a thought. Maybe this could create a new TE for Philly???

Last edited:

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
Correct - this would go down as a second non-simultaneous trade, with a trade exception being created for Philly in the amount of Salmons' new salary (since this would be a sign-and-trade deal - he's an RFA).

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Hunter back as a backup big men but not at $3 million for the next 4 seasons. The problem with Hunter was that he frequently was lost in the offense, and he would get in the way of the other players. I was one of his biggest supporters during the regular season that year, but I can see that coach Mike was getting increasingly frustrated with Hunter's problems in the offense.

I think the Phoenix Suns were willing to give him the LLE last summer, but he obviously got more from Philadelphia.

Joe

meth

Rookie
Reaction score
Next Step?

If Salmons enters as a 1-3 backup it looks like he can cover James Jones. I don't say I like it, but I think there is a possibility we trade for a player or two using him (Jones) and one of our draft picks (Boston/Cavs). Any thoughts?

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
I'd probably be the last one you would want to talk to about this issue. However, the TE (using Salmons as an example) the Suns could use it to acquire him without sending a player in return, just perhaps a second round pick. In other words, Philly could lose salary this way without having to take a player back.

The TE expires after one full year (probably the date you mentioned). The TE was acquired in the JJ trade with Atlanta per the league and/or CBA. I don't know how it is computed, but it related to the value of JJ's contract as I understand it. Phoenix used almost half of it to acquire James Jones.

I thought the TE expired if Phoenix uses it to acquire a player, however, maybe it can be passed along. I just don't know. I believe Phoenix's TE is 3.6 million... the same as Salmons' contract.

If Phoenix DOESN't use it, it will expire 21 Aug 06. However, IF the Suns use it to get Salmons from Philly tomorrow, then Philly will have until 12 Jul 07, to use it or they will lose it. If I remember right.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
jlove said:
If Phoenix DOESN't use it, it will expire 21 Aug 06. However, IF the Suns use it to get Salmons from Philly tomorrow, then Philly will have until 12 Jul 07, to use it or they will lose it. If I remember right.

Trade exceptions aren't really traded. They are just the second half of an imbalanced trade. So we finish up a previously imbalanced trade, but that then creates an imbalanced trade for Philly--thus they have a year to finish that one.

nowagimp

Reaction score
meth said:
Next Step?

If Salmons enters as a 1-3 backup it looks like he can cover James Jones. I don't say I like it, but I think there is a possibility we trade for a player or two using him (Jones) and one of our draft picks (Boston/Cavs). Any thoughts?
Yeah, like JR plus one of the latter first round picks for Delonte West. West could take over for Nash in a few years down the road as the starter. He's got an excellent shot from 3pt range in. I would not trade JR without getting a good 3pt shooter, though. The suns would lose Jones, House and TT in this offseason, they better get an outside shooter if that happens.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
Trade exceptions aren't really traded. They are just the second half of an imbalanced trade. So we finish up a previously imbalanced trade, but that then creates an imbalanced trade for Philly--thus they have a year to finish that one.

I really like how simply you put this. :thumbup:

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:

:raccoon:

i never knew that

Muggum

Registered
Reaction score
UGH UGH UGH

Most impressive (tie): Marcus Williams, Nets; Sean May, Bobcats
Williams, who shockingly fell to the 22nd pick on draft night, played as if he had something to prove Monday. He was on the attack all night in New Jersey's 86-82 defeat of the Orlando Magic, dispelling rumors he is out of shape.
The former UConn star made 9-of-15 shots and 4-of-5 3-pointers for a game-high 24 points. He also had 12 assists, many of them drop-off passes to Eric Williams (12 points) and Jamar Smith (11 points) for easy dunks. It looks like the Nets might have finally found the backup to Jason Kidd they've been searching for.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Muggum said:
UGH UGH UGH

Most impressive (tie): Marcus Williams, Nets; Sean May, Bobcats
Williams, who shockingly fell to the 22nd pick on draft night, played as if he had something to prove Monday. He was on the attack all night in New Jersey's 86-82 defeat of the Orlando Magic, dispelling rumors he is out of shape.
The former UConn star made 9-of-15 shots and 4-of-5 3-pointers for a game-high 24 points. He also had 12 assists, many of them drop-off passes to Eric Williams (12 points) and Jamar Smith (11 points) for easy dunks. It looks like the Nets might have finally found the backup to Jason Kidd they've been searching for.

:hulk: :mad: :bang:

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
With all their talk about character and chemistry, the Suns were never, ever going to draft Marcus Williams IMO.

meth

Rookie
Reaction score
IMHO, another steal for Phoenix might by Arvydas Macijauskas. For what I saw him playing in Europe I'm sure he would fix into our system (sorry if it was already discussed).

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Somebody needs to kill this thread. The deal that was "near" is not really near after all.

nowagimp

Reaction score
meth said:
IMHO, another steal for Phoenix might by Arvydas Macijauskas. For what I saw him playing in Europe I'm sure he would fix into our system (sorry if it was already discussed).

I heard that he no speake the english, couldnt learn the playbook(hornets?).

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
nowagimp said:
I heard that he no speake the english, couldnt learn the playbook(hornets?).

Even if that's the case, it's not like it matters in the Suns system. They no hava playbook.

nowagimp

Reaction score
jlove said:
Even if that's the case, it's not like it matters in the Suns system. They no hava playbook.

so, no playbook means no communication is necessary?

I guess that Dantoni will just have to point or wag his finger when he wants to communucate with Macijauskas. Something tells me this will not work ... Know any Lithuanian translators??

MastersofCombat

Basketball Junkie
Reaction score
FIrst off I attended all the Suns Vegas league games and after I thought Ruben Douglas might make the team I now believe no one should make the suns roster except Maciej Lampe.
These guards of ours were absolutely destroyed by every teams guards but the NYKnicks. I talk to lots of executives, scouts, and seemingly the thought was monday that the Suns cashed in their Summer league the same way they did the draft.
The talent they brought in was considerably less than retired Mateen Cleaves, or ex-sun free agent Casey Jacobsen.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
MastersofCombat said:
FIrst off I attended all the Suns Vegas league games and after I thought Ruben Douglas might make the team I now believe no one should make the suns roster except Maciej Lampe.
does amare look that bad.;)

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Macijauskas speaks English well enough. Plus, the Hornets are supposed to be buying him out, so he'll be available for cheap.

Problem is, after his dismal season, Macijauskas is ready to go back to Europe. It will take more than money to convince him to stay in the U.S.--he'll need a Vujanic-type "guarantee" to stick in the NBA.

Oh yeah, and the Suns would be negotiating against the Spurs, too.

That said, if you liked J.J. Redick in this year's draft, you'd like Macijauskas too--especially if he arrives as a FA and plays for $1m or less. :shrug:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05