Deal for PG Not Nearer Than Yesterday

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
playstation said:
but he can't shoot. i don't understand how this could work if he can't shoot. his purpose is when nash is out. however, when nash is out amare is in. this means that you can double on amare no problem.

unless the coaches see a strong ability to make him a good shooter, i need some help to understand.

He may not be a great three-point shooter but he has a good mid range game.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amare32 said:
He may not be a great three-point shooter but he has a good mid range game.

He's pretty good at creating his own shot by driving and popping from 14 feet in. The problem is he doesn't generate a lot of respect, so defenders give him a lot of space to deny him a lane to drive.

He's one of those guys if you ask to do a little, his production will seem like a lot. But if you ask him to do a lot, he will probably disappoint.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
hmmmm

philly fans seem to be happy with the trade.

odd to consider they're happy to lose john salmons for the 60th (and last) pick of the draft.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Super pickup for PHX if this deal gets done.

Salmons will fit right into the "system". Opposing guards will no longer have their way when Salmons and Raja team together.

A gifted ballplayer without a position. This kid has low miles, and will bring much-needed defensive energy when the second-unit comes in.

Sorry, Eddie. Have fun slingin' the 3's in Miami.

mribnik

Reaction score
playstation said:
hmmmm

philly fans seem to be happy with the trade.

odd to consider they're happy to lose john salmons for the 60th (and last) pick of the draft.

I'm not worried with that much. Atlanta fans were happy to get rid of the no talent, no desire, terrible shooting Boris Diaw last year.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
there is value in thinking that one man's trash in another man's treasure, but at the same time I don't go dumpster diving on a regular basis...

i like to see good performance before believing this would be a good pickup. we'll see. optimism...but realism...

Nash

Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Holy Crap! This guy has been in my sig the whole time! That says it all!

Do it already!:thumbup:

I don't watch Philly games, so the the first thing that came to my mind when I read the name John Salmons was your signature. Shame on you that it took you this long to realize! :hammer:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit perplexed as Vinny Del Negro was on 910 AM (Phoenix) this afternoon and did not give the slightest inclination that any trade or signing was imminent. He said the Suns were working the phones, etc. He also said the Suns might sign a player from the summer league but not necessarily a player from their roster.

The present conversation on this Board leads me to believe the Salmons trade is almost a done deal.

Should I believe the rumors or Del Negro?

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Jerry Brown was on From The Bleachers this morning as a fill-in host for Bill Lewis, and he claimed on many occurances that the Suns were going to acquire both a PG and a backup PF/C today.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Sun Devil Jay said:
Jerry Brown was on From The Bleachers this morning as a fill-in host for Bill Lewis, and he claimed on many occurances that the Suns were going to acquire both a PG and a backup PF/C today.

well, I hope he was right

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
I wouldn't believe Vinny. I have never heard of a GM or player personel guy giving anything away before it happens. I mean hell espn radio had Doc Rivers on as the suns were making the 21st pick and he didn't even tip his hand that they had made a trade.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Jay said:

Yes, I understand about the rumors. However, even names (I believe Jumaine Jones) were presented to Del Negro to respond about and Del Negro acted like the Suns were not ready to sign anybody just yet... at least right now.

Anyone else hear the radio interview? And if anybody should know it should be Del Negro. Isn't he the new Player Personnel Director of the Suns (or some such title)?

I'm not saying the rumor is not true, only that Del Negro did not sound like any moves would be forthcoming today.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
Yes, I understand about the rumors. However, even names (I believe Jumaine Jones) were presented to Del Negro to respond about and Del Negro acted like the Suns were not ready to sign anybody just yet... at least right now.

Anyone else hear the radio interview? And if anybody should know it should be Del Negro. Isn't he the new Player Personnel Director of the Suns (or some such title)?

I'm not saying the rumor is not true, only that Del Negro did not sound like any moves would be forthcoming today.

He did typical GM speak and he couldn't name names especially with players on other teams.

I wouldn't look too much into it

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Espo said:
I wouldn't believe Vinny. I have never heard of a GM or player personel guy giving anything away before it happens. I mean hell espn radio had Doc Rivers on as the suns were making the 21st pick and he didn't even tip his hand that they had made a trade.

I heard Vinny Del Negro on the radio on draft day and he fully explained the Suns thought process before the picks came up. This was on 910 AM radio in Phoenix as well. He even said the Suns were willing to give up three first rounders for the right player. It was also clear the Suns were getting out of the draft before their picks came up.

I'm just wondering if there is a communication gap within the Suns organization or why the hush... hush.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
If it is for Salmons, we won't get confirmation until at least Wednesday. He is a free agent. That being said, he could either just sign with us, or be involved in a S&T with us and Philly, that way we could use our TE. He has a qualifying offer from Philly of $2,463,446. If it is a S&T with Philly, then we may be offering more than Philly's qualifying offer for him, especially if it's the whole TE that we have, which is $3.7 mil left on it.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ash talked about it for a few minutes on 910, brought up the players name, talked about how players seem to play so much better when they come to Phoenix, said that he expected the same with Salmons. I thought he was talking to Del Negro at the time, may have been someone else.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
Ash talked about it for a few minutes on 910, brought up the players name, talked about how players seem to play so much better when they come to Phoenix, said that he expected the same with Salmons. I thought he was talking to Del Negro at the time, may have been someone else.

I definitely did not hear Salmons name, certainly not by Vinny Del Negro, nor any other name mentioned by Del Negro other than Stoudemire.

And I was really listening as I wanted some inside information. :)

I don't think their were two interviews, but I quit listening after the Del Negro interview this afternoon.

By the way, any good rumor links? I don't want to be left out.

Last edited:

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:

He was talking with Scott Williams (who was filling in for Gambo) about adding Salmons here.

He didn't bring him up during the Del Negro interview

sunsfn

Reaction score
jlove said:
If it is for Salmons, we won't get confirmation until at least Wednesday. He is a free agent. That being said, he could either just sign with us, or be involved in a S&T with us and Philly, that way we could use our TE. He has a qualifying offer from Philly of $2,463,446. If it is a S&T with Philly, then we may be offering more than Philly's qualifying offer for him, especially if it's the whole TE that we have, which is $3.7 mil left on it.

I do not think he is a free agent.

The qualifying offer means he plays for Philly next year for 2.4 mil unless they decide to trade him, or give him a better contract. He had to sign the qualifying offer before last season. They did not offer him a long term contract and he accepted the qualifying offer. After this next year, (if he plays for the 2.4 mil) he is a restricted free agent. (Just like the Joe Johnson deal) Joe Johnson played for the qualifying offer and was a restricted free agent.

I will also be surprised if the Suns pay him the 3.7 mil left on the TE. It would seem like that if they trade for him, they would already have a 3? year deal in place for him.
They may just trade for him and pay him the 2.4 mil and see how he plays and then offer him another contract at a later time.

I am actually kind of surprised that they are trading for someone that makes that much money. They must think he is going to develop into a good player.

Last edited:

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
sunsfn said:

The qualifying offer means he plays for Philly next year for 2.4 mil unless they decide to trade him, or give him a better contract. He had to sign the qualifying offer before last season. They did not offer him a long term contract and he accepted the qualifying offer. After this next year, (if he plays for the 2.4 mil) he is a restricted free agent. (Just like the Joe Johnson deal) Joe Johnson played for the qualifying offer and was a restricted free agent.

I will also be surprised if the Suns pay him the 3.7 mil left on the TE. It would seem like that if they trade for him, they would already have a 3? year deal in place for him.
They may just trade for him and pay him the 2.4 mil and see how he plays and then offer him another contract at a later time.

I am actually kind of surprised that they are trading for someone that makes that much money. They must think he is going to develop into a good player.

He's a RFA

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
sunsfn said:

He is already a restricted free agent. The Sixers made the qualifying offer to him this summer. Had they not, he would have been a free agent. Now the Sixers can match any offer he gets. JJ did not play for the qualifying offer, he played because the Suns picked up his fourth-year option.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vinny Del Negro didn't talk about any dissident players because he isn't allowed to do it at this point.

Joe

sunsfn

Reaction score
Griffin said:
He is already a restricted free agent. The Sixers made the qualifying offer to him this summer. Had they not, he would have been a free agent. Now the Sixers can match any offer he gets. JJ did not play for the qualifying offer, he played because the Suns picked up his fourth-year option.

You are right. He is already a restricted free agent, my mistake.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
playstation said:
but he can't shoot. i don't understand how this could work if he can't shoot. his purpose is when nash is out. however, when nash is out amare is in. this means that you can double on amare no problem.

unless the coaches see a strong ability to make him a good shooter, i need some help to understand.

Because the Suns are already one of the best outside shooting team. They have plenty of other outside shooting on the court even without a point guard who is shoot first.

If this is the player then I think it's a good one. If he plays defense and passes well, then that mean he can set up the other players and get back and help defend. I would say that is a huge plus.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05