Deal going down....VERY SOON

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
I'll put my money on Amare to stay. Gentry and running system is clear enough indication.

Just my guess or feeling, read recent comments by Shaq, it seems he is open to leave. Trading him for expiring contract should not be too hard.

Snoop06

Reaction score
Sources: Stoudemire likely to stay

Cannot post link because of my post count, its on ESPN though.

I wouldn't mind seeing if a coaching change and going back to a faster system could spark the guys. I also wouldn't mind Shaq going, but keeping Amare is the best option IMO...

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It appears like Amar'e is going to stay, at least until the offseason. Although, I think if Amar'e is traded it will be to Chicago for a package similar to the follolwing:

Amare for Tyrus, Thabo, Gooden, and a first round pick.

This trade by itself saves us over 2.2 million dollars this season. In addition, receiving three players for one will allow us to conduct a separate trade with Chicago to acquire a portion of their T.E. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we could send a combination of Dragic, Lopez, Tucker, Barnes, or Dudley for a corresponding amount of Chicago's $5.2 million dollar trade exception. By completing both trades, the Suns could effectively shave over $5 million off of payroll this year putting us under the LT threshold of $71 million. That's a savings of more than $10 million when you factor in the dollar for dollar tax.

Is Tyrus Thomas, Thabo Sefolosha, Drew Gooden, and a mid level first rounder worth Amar'e Stoudemire? No way! But wait, now throw in more than $10 million in savings this year and an additional $7.1 million in savings next year when Gooden comes off the books. I'd have to think that trade looks pretty enticing to Sarver.

On a side not, I would rather have Noah than Thabo.

Last edited:

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
^ ... It seems that Bulls are low balling the Suns now... threathening to trade with Clippers instead. They lowered their offer to Gooden + Filler + Draft Pick for Kaman or Camby.

Clippers should just be fair and reject that straight away so Bulls doesnt have leverage to low ball.

I'd still do a Thomas + Sefalosha + Gooden + Unprotected pick 2009, which should be around 10~15.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What, you mean the trade for a bunch of cleveland's garbage isn't going to happen? I thought rumors were swirling out of cleveland?

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
I'm in favor of keeping Amare, for two reasons:

1) Porter is now gone and Gentry is going back to good old run n gun. Amare is much more valuable in a SSOL system, and will look and play much better.

I'm still not sure if Amare is the franchise cornerstone (he has to at least try to play defense consistently going forward - please!), but even if he is not, he will be a more valuable trade option if he plays well the rest of the year. Which leads to reason #2...

2) The 'realistic' trade proposals for Amare right now STINK. If the Suns need or want to trade him, ok, but darn well get good stuff back. The only decent trades were the Portland one with Aldridge and Bayless (apparently never really an offer), and maybe the Memphis or OKC ones, but those were even a stretch.

Kerr should hang up on Chicago if they don't offer Thomas, Gooden, Noah, Thabo and their unprotected 09 pick. Heck, he should hang up on even that offer until they call back and offer up Hinrich in some combo deal. Seriously.

Bulls fans are SALIVATING right now about getting Amare to pair up with Rose. Like, freaking out. Paxson has consistently gotten cold feet the last few years on blockbuster trades (KG, etc), because he overvalues his team and lowballs the other teams. And shockingly, he has not made any blockbuster trades. Of course, this did finally net the Bulls a bad enough season to draft D Rose, so it is not all bad.

Anyway - no trading Amare for crap. If a really good deal comes before the deadline, maybe you take it, but only if it is a 'blow me down' deal - expirings, some really good young talent and high draft picks. Not 2 of the 3 - ALL THREE.

Otherwise, keep Amare and roll with the current team for the year. See where it all goes and make decisions in the summer when you have time to plan and think.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
^

Sarver wants to save $$$ next year.
If they hold on to Stoudemire... O'Neal needs to go.
And vice versa...

I'm hoping O'neal gets traded to another contender... IF they HAVE to trade.

If not.. and somehow decide that the team can contend... WHICH IS UNLIKELY...
they then bite the bullet.

But I think Sarver Kerr knows even Gentry cannot get this team pass the line to win one... the Lakers, Spurs, Hornets, Celtics, Cavs are all too strong...

so I think a trade WILL have to occur....

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I honestly think, they may NOT be trading Amare with the coaching change. If you think the coaching is not a problem, but players are, then trade Amare. If you think coaching IS the problem, then you make a coaching change and see what happens with the players you've got. I almost think they won't try and trade Amare until after the season.

Guess my gut instinct was right!

Link: Amare to stay!

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Anyone hear Jalen Rose's comments on sportscenter about the suns? he was completely right. he was saying that Gentry coaching and returning the suns to running is a band-aid. he said eventually they'll have to bite the bullet, realize they aren't winning, and blow it up to start over. couldn't agree with him more.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Well duh. Most of their starting lineup is 40 years old, so of course they need to blow it up soon. Thanks for the insight, Jalen.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Josh Howard for Jason Richardson works straight up and saves us over 2.2 million dollars this year expiring after the 09-10 season, one year before Richardson's. I would say no, but with Richardson's legal problems, the Suns might want to move him; although, Howard is not exactly a saint with his weed problems. What say you?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More speculation. Doesn't make sense. If Amare is going to Toronto, why not just eliminate Chicago and get Bosh ourselves? I'd be all for that.

That's what I am saying. There is no reason to involve Chicago whatsoever?!?!?

Anyone hear Jalen Rose's comments on sportscenter about the suns? he was completely right. he was saying that Gentry coaching and returning the suns to running is a band-aid. he said eventually they'll have to bite the bullet, realize they aren't winning, and blow it up to start over. couldn't agree with him more.

Sad but he is probably right. Everybody is all..."YEAH the SUNS will Run". Last time I checked this team is still oen of the best offensive teams in the NBA and that was not our problem.

Unless Gentry can improve our defense, rebounding and turnover problems.......running will get us more points per game...and that's about it.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That's what I am saying. There is no reason to involve Chicago whatsoever?!?!?

Sad but he is probably right. Everybody is all..."YEAH the SUNS will Run". Last time I checked this team is still oen of the best offensive teams in the NBA and that was not our problem.

Unless Gentry can improve our defense, rebounding and turnover problems.......running will get us more points per game...and that's about it.

So everything will be the same except the Suns will score more points? Isn't that the point of basketball? Nice analysis

Reaction score
So everything will be the same except the Suns will score more points? Isn't that the point of basketball? Nice analysis

Tell us how many rings has Dantoni/Nash/Amare with the run and gun ? Detroit, Boston, Spurs win rings because of their DEFENSE. Run and gun is fun to watch in season, but ineffective in playoffs, so no championship.......Isn't the point of basketball ?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Tell us how many rings has Dantoni/Nash/Amare with the run and gun ? Detroit, Boston, Spurs win rings because of their DEFENSE. Run and gun is fun to watch in season, but ineffective in playoffs, so no championship.......Isn't the point of basketball ?

Oh for God's sake, the Suns aren't going to win a championship anytime soon regardless. That should be obvious to everyone by now. At least this way they can enjoy the twilight of O'Neal's, Nash's, and Hill's careers and maintain some credibility as a franchise.

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
Oh for God's sake, the Suns aren't going to win a championship anytime soon regardless. That should be obvious to everyone by now. At least this way they can enjoy the twilight of O'Neal's, Nash's, and Hill's careers and maintain some credibility as a franchise.

For God's sake, a season without contention is absolutely NOT enjoyable for SHAQ. NOT A BIT! :mad:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
For God's sake, a season without contention is absolutely NOT enjoyable for SHAQ. NOT A BIT! :mad:

Well he wasn't contending in Miami, and he wasn't contending under Porter either. I guess life sucks.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
The thing about this Suns team is that they're a dangerous late seed team. And they owe a particular team a swift a** kicking.

Once the first one goes down. Who knows. :shrug: History can repeat in different seasons in different leagues. ;)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So everything will be the same except the Suns will score more points? Isn't that the point of basketball?

No it's not. On what planet would that be the point? Look no further then New York. You can score over 100 points in a game and still lose if you don't play defense. Who cares if we score more points if it doesn't help this team overcome their biggest faults.

I am hoping Gentry knows more then Porter about defense or at least can run Porter's defense better then he did.

Nice analysis

Even nicer critique.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05