Dear Michael Bidwill ( A Must Read )

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol, that's easy to say, but who knows if Peyton Manning can get past his injury...

I don't think anyone including Peyton knows if he can get past his injury. But, if your doctors sign off on him and you evaluate his arm strength you'll have a pretty good idea if he's worth signing. Emmitt was as much a PR move as anything and we have our stadium and don't need to go down that road again.

Steve

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think anyone including Peyton knows if he can get past his injury. But, if your doctors sign off on him and you evaluate his arm strength you'll have a pretty good idea if he's worth signing. Emmitt was as much a PR move as anything and we have our stadium and don't need to go down that road again.

Steve
agreed. But at this point, doctors haven't, and may not by the time his signing date comes around. So far it's all speculation

seesred

Reaction score
I have as much passion for the Cards as anyone I know. Your letter is great because you care about the team and the happiness they bring especially when winning. IMO Peyton wont be in Arizona to lead us to a championship becaues of his health.

From the million of sports opinions going anywhere to he is better than ever to he can't throw without pain and has little strenght in his throwing arm he will retire IMO. I would love to have a healthy Manning behind Lyles big butt. On the other hand if he was healthy and if we could get him it would be mighty exciting!!!!

GBR

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The window of opportunity comes alomg at certain times. When it does, an organization needs to jump through it.

We are standing in front of that window. PM would be a great start albeit a gamble. Add a guy like Garcon' for familiaraity a left tackle, a healthry Beanie and Williams, an OT that can step in and start and some depth at LB and wah-lah we are a HUGE player in the NFC.

Looking back over the last 2 years when Warner retired we knew as fans we were done for a while. I think the Cardinal Brass did too. We were forced to patchwork the QB position which totally failed. As big a failure as not having a competent QB in place for the day Warner retired.

That being said, if this defense is as good as they appeared to be during the second half of 2011 ( and we add to it) and PM comes here the Cardinals will look like geniuses allowing Dansby, Rolle and the likes walk. It will look like we actually know how to run a football franchise.

What I mean by that is the money is available to sign PM. Would it have been available had we spent gobs of money on the free agents that left? Would we have made the playoffs over the last 2 years had we still had them here? No.

The 2011 season ends today. Tomorrow that window slides open. Are we going to stand there and stare thru it or are we going to jump thru it?

We shall see.

Last edited:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The window to open comes alomg at certain times. When it does, an organization needs to jump through it.

We are standing in front of that window. PM would be a great start albeit a gamble. Add a guy like Garcon' for familiaraity a left tackle, a healthry Beanie and Williams, an OT that can step in and start and some depth at LB and wah-lah we are a HUGE player in the NFC.

Looking back over the last 2 years when Warner retired we knew as fans we were done for a while. I think the Cardinal Brass did too. We were forced to patchwork the QB position which totally failed. As big a failure as not having a competent QB in place for the day Warner retired.

That being said, if this defense is as good as they appeared to be during the second half of 2011 ( and we add to it) and PM comes here the Cardinals will look like geniuses allowing Dansby, Rolle and the likes walk. It will look like we actually know how to run a football franchise.

What I mean by that is the money is available to sign PM. Would it have been available had we spent gobs of money on the free agents that left? Would we have made the playoffs over the last 2 years had we still had them here? No.

The 2011 season ends today. Tomorrow that window slides open. Are we going to stand there and stare thru it or are we going to jump thru it?

We shall see.

@AdamSchefter: Peyton Manning is willing to create a contract that would contain no guaranteed money up front and would be incentive laden with bonuses.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Since no one actually KNOWS if Peyton will be completely healthy or not, isn't it kind of silly to be so negative about it. Been reading ALOT of "Won't happen" "No Chance" etc. what's the point? Wouldnt you rather be a fan then right?

I assume everyone here has enough brain cells to compute a healthy Peyton Manning would be amazing and a huge upgrade over anything we have ever had under center. That's a no brainier.

But are people ASSUMING hell be unhealthy? What the hell do you know? Same as everyone else. Nothing. So as a fan, why wouldn't the attitude be " Man I hope he's healthy" and if so " I hope we sign him"

Newsflash Cards fans. This is the first time you have been at the top or near the top of a desirable situation for a guy this good and it might not happen again. This is a pretty unique set of circumstamce. There's a legit shot here.

So let's all hope he is healthy so we can FINALLY be a glamour team with the weight of expectations. That's a feeling none of us have ever had before in football.

We should all be puling in the same direction on this. No ones gong to care if you were right and he ends up being unhealthy or signs elsewhere.

Be a fan.

BOOM

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's funny how people say the Bidwills may not step up, completely forgetting they offered Montana a contract which would have made him, at the time, the highest paid player in the NFL.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
as long as his arm is not strong enough to over throw our WRs and expose them to kidney shots, I'm totally cool with a less than strong arm :)

OP
OP
AZCardsWin

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
One has to wonder the role new WR Coach Frank Reich (formerly QB coach of the Colts) will really have in 2012. If nothing else it adds to Arizona's resume to lure the almighty Peyton!

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
One has to wonder the role new WR Coach Frank Reich (formerly QB coach of the Colts) will really have in 2012. If nothing else it adds to Arizona's resume to lure the almighty Peyton!
I sure hope so

OP
OP
AZCardsWin

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
Has anyone else found it curious that the Cardinals website picture chosen for the Frank Reich hiring is one with him standing along side of Peyton Manning? I mean there has to be a classic QB shot of him from his Buffalo Bills days available -LOL

OP
OP
AZCardsWin

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
Now thats a picture that reminds everyone about Frank Reich's career. That might have been the best game (playoff or non-playoff) in NFL history.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Is Peyton even able to throw a football? Last I heard he doesn't have any strength in his arm. I just feel like this could end up being a disaster if he comes here. Hope I'm wrong. But that's my fear.

Having had neck fusions myself I will repeat myself and say I do not see how any QB in the NFL could come back from such surgery in just over a year and play NFL football. This sounds crazy to me. I recall just how I felt 1-2 years after my surgery and I would not even play tag football. Not only your muscles but your nerves in the neck must regenerate. I put the odds at 50/50 he will play football at all and that is based on him not caring much about his own welfare. I had only one surgery but apparently Peyton had 2 or 3 as the first one must have failed. I bet I know what Peyton's wife is telling him.

OP
OP
AZCardsWin

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know, I constantly gripe about Kolb, but his quote was not at all reassuring. Three or four weeks AFTER the season for his head to feel right? He took that bonk to the head on Nov 20th. So that was a 10+ week injury.

How can the Cards plan long term around this guy?

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
JMO, I do not see a logical reason for the Cards to sign Peyton, given all the medical issues. Just way too big of a gamble. Also, we need to keep the cap in mind . As a Cards fan , I do not even expect the FO to pursue him. In reality, the argument for getting him is a specious one. In other words, an argument that appears good at first view but is really is not plausible.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
JMO, I do not see a logical reason for the Cards to sign Peyton, given all the medical issues. Just way too big of a gamble. Also, we need to keep the cap in mind . As a Cards fan , I do not even expect the FO to pursue him. In reality, the argument for getting him is a specious one. In other words, an argument that appears good at first view but is really is not plausible.
how so? Kolb's concussion health is as big a gamble. Kolb has guaranteed money if he is here next season, Peyton has stated that his will be an incentive contract. No play, no pay. He is without question the best QB available, health issues or not. I personally don't see a down-side to it. Sure, he's only a short-term fix for a long-term problem. But he is at least a fix

OP
OP
AZCardsWin

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
I know, I constantly gripe about Kolb, but his quote was not at all reassuring. Three or four weeks AFTER the season for his head to feel right? He took that bonk to the head on Nov 20th. So that was a 10+ week injury. How can the Cards plan long term around this guy?

Per Adam Schefter on ESPN Sportscenter this evening- Cardinals are one of just "4" teams (along with Dolphins, Jets & Redskins) that have the BEST shot of landing Peyton Manning!

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
True-----the choice to come here or not is Peyton Manning's. That said, it is incumbent upon our front office and ownership to make that decision as easy as it possibly can for Manning to make. THAT is one phase of our (game) that this team just does not do well at.

In nearly every major event similar to this one, either our FO or our ownership can't seem to help itself from finding a way to mess it all up by disrupting the smooshe with a low-ball interjection, (just when we are about to complete the deal). I would feel much better about this scenario if we didn't have such a terrible history of the Red Bird singing "cheap, cheap, cheap"!!!!!

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I know, I constantly gripe about Kolb, but his quote was not at all reassuring. Three or four weeks AFTER the season for his head to feel right? He took that bonk to the head on Nov 20th. So that was a 10+ week injury.

How can the Cards plan long term around this guy?

This is a huge concern going into next season....

"I feel good," Kolb said. "I'd say it took three to four weeks after the season was over to not have any symptoms. Once my mind cleared, I got back to working out."

Is he saying that he didn't work out at all for over 9 weeks? I remember the hit Clay Matthews put on him (Kolb was chased down from behind and sacked. The hit was between the shoulder blades and very legal).

Although any concussion is serious, both hits on him seemed like normal football plays. What will happen when he really takes a monster shot?

If the Cards plan on keeping him long-term, they better build a custom helmet for his head. Cause the hits can only get worse IMO.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a huge concern going into next season....

Is he saying that he didn't work out at all for over 9 weeks? I remember the hit Clay Matthews put on him (Kolb was chased down from behind and sacked. The hit was between the shoulder blades and very legal).

Although any concussion is serious, both hits on him seemed like normal football plays. What will happen when he really takes a monster shot?

If the Cards plan on keeping him long-term, they better build a custom helmet for his head. Cause the hits can only get worse IMO.

Look at Sidney Crosby's most recent concussion. It hardly looked like anything happened. Kolb's concussion this year was basically a season ending injury. These things dont get better and they do end careers.

Planning long term around Kolb is a riskier move than any other QB options the Cards have on the table.

They should be releasing him regardless and if they dont get Manning then do their diligence scouting mid-round QB prospects... they should probably be doing that no matter what.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05