Dennis Green does SoFlo radio interview

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dennis Green did a 15 minute live interview from Houston with our local WQAM sports guy, Hank Goldberg ( ESPN commentator ). Anyone want to know what he said? :cool:

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
we're drafting steven jackson, starting mccown and making the playoffs.

I don't get the obsession with Steven Jackson. Please explain.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I didn't say " guess what he said " ?

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rivercard
I don't get the obsession with Steven Jackson. Please explain.

May be the best back in the draft. :eek:

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
He's good. He's especially good at running with the football and scoring touchdowns.

I'm still high on Shipp. I'd rather have the best defensive guy or the best QB or the best WR. Unless he can power through the line like Csonka, shake and bake like Sanders or slice like OJ, I'd pass on him at #3.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rivercard
I'm still high on Shipp. I'd rather have the best defensive guy or the best QB or the best WR. Unless he can power through the line like Csonka, shake and bake like Sanders or slice like OJ, I'd pass on him at #3.

He's neither. He's Ricky Williams with more size and more speed.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by MaoTosiFanClub
Why are you making us ask, just spit it out. :p

Some people think I am totally negative and would pound me. :D

Even though I do not like the Dennis Green hire and most of his staff, I loved what he said during the interview on his analysis of the current players.

He said.......

:wave:

The strengths of the team should be the O line and D line. Thinks that they have way too much talent to be playing as poorly as they do. Their problem is they don't play hard, with Big Davis being the biggest culprit. If they continue to play with the same half assed effort they will be gone. He asked everyone he could, when he got here to evaluate Card talent and basically determined them to be underachievers ( a term I hate ). His statement to players was , kick it up, play hard on every play or hit the road.

He thinks that if the play of the lines is where he thinks it can be, the skill positions will look a whole lot better. He is very unhappy with past attitudes and performance. Won't be drafting to those lline positions. He said there were too many #1 picks in the trenches allready. Just do some motivating. He explained the miserable road record to complacency. Said he didn't want to hear about taking advantage of the heat at home and how different it was to go on the road to different conditions. Sounds llike he will be running a boot camp this summer. No sacred cows on the Cards. Nothing more specific. Hard questions by Hank and no ducking the issues by Green. Didn't promise a huge immediate turn around. He did reflect back to his 49ers days with Bill Walsh quite a bit.:confused:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by wallyburger
The strengths of the team should be the O line and D line. Thinks that they have way too much talent to be playing as poorly as they do. Their problem is they don't play hard, with Big Davis being the biggest culprit. If they continue to play with the same half assed effort they will be gone. He asked everyone he could, when he got here to evaluate Card talent and basically determined them to be underachievers ( a term I hate ). His statement to players was , kick it up, play hard on every play or hit the road.

He thinks that if the play of the lines is where he thinks it can be, the skill positions will look a whole lot better. He is very unhappy with past attitudes and performance. Won't be drafting to those lline positions. He said there were too many #1 picks in the trenches allready. Just do some motivating. He explained the miserable road record to complacency. Said he didn't want to hear about taking advantage of the heat at home and how different it was to go on the road to different conditions. Sounds llike he will be running a boot camp this summer. No sacred cows on the Cards. Nothing more specific. Hard questions by Hank and no ducking the issues by Green. Didn't promise a huge immediate turn around. He did reflect back to his 49ers days with Bill Walsh quite a bit.:confused:

Wow. If this is exactly what he said, that's amazing. My dad called me today to say that he was excited about Green. If these were the things that he said, I'm more excited now than I was when he was hired.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
If there's one reason why I am nearly 100% certain this team will be improved next year, it is because of the accountability that Green demands. I'm not saying we'll be a playoff team, just a better team.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by kerouac9
Wow. If this is exactly what he said, that's amazing. My dad called me today to say that he was excited about Green. If these were the things that he said, I'm more excited now than I was when he was hired.

Gee kerouac, it doesn't take much to turn you on, does it?:D

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score

Sorry - we aren't going to draft an RB with Shipp and Emmitt coming back, along with D. Anderson and Scobey on the roster.

Perhaps it's time to pick another player for your obsession?

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score

Geez, last two or three weeks it was "draft Sean Taylor or I'll simply implode, dammit!!!" This week it's Steven Jackson.

What gives, 11?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's neither. He's Ricky Williams with more size and more speed.

Come on Sec 11 be realistic, Jackson's hair is a lot closer to Edgerrin James' than to Rickey, Rickey's dreads are much THICKER (-:

He's not quite as big as Rickey but he is faster and a similar type runner.

Jackson is an outstanding RB and we're talking a kid who was national honor society in HS so he's not likely to cause any problems for us like some of our more recent RB's did. I just think 3 is a bit high to take him.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith
He's not quite as big as Rickey but he is faster and a similar type runner.

Jackson is an outstanding RB and we're talking a kid who was national honor society in HS so he's not likely to cause any problems for us like some of our more recent RB's did. I just think 3 is a bit high to take him.

He's 6'2" 232, while Williams is 5'10" 228. And he's definately faster.

Trading down to 4, 5 or 6 would be nice. I think Detroit will take him if he's there.

NFL_FAN

NFL_FAN
Reaction score
Originally posted by wallyburger
Thinks that they have way too much talent to be playing as poorly as they do. Their problem is they don't play hard, with Big Davis being the biggest culprit. If they continue to play with the same half assed effort they will be gone. He asked everyone he could, when he got here to evaluate Card talent and basically determined them to be underachievers.

He thinks that if the play of the lines is where he thinks it can be, the skill positions will look a whole lot better. He is very unhappy with past attitudes and performance. Won't be drafting to those lline positions. He said there were too many #1 picks in the trenches allready. Just do some motivating. He explained the miserable road record to complacency. Said he didn't want to hear about taking advantage of the heat at home and how different it was to go on the road to different conditions. Sounds llike he will be running a boot camp this summer. No sacred cows on the Cards.

It's about friggin time we got a drill seargent as a head coach instead of a nursemaid!! I want to see some passion in the coach and the willingness to call out players, not coddle them and make excuses.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's 6'2" 232, while Williams is 5'10" 228. And he's definately faster.

Trading down to 4, 5 or 6 would be nice. I think Detroit will take him if he's there.

OSU's website says he's 224 but maybe he's bigger. I think I read somewhere Ricky was nearly 240 last year, I remember asking a couple of times here if people thought he looked bigger and slower last year.

I think there are a bunch of teams who want him, one of the things I do think makes him intriguing for us is he showed the last 2 years in college he's a pretty good receiver too. Green seems to like RB's who can do that, and Jackson definitely can.

I guess my question is what improves this team more, replacing Wilson with Taylor, or replacing Shipp with Jackson?

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith
I guess my question is what improves this team more, replacing Wilson with Taylor, or replacing Shipp with Jackson?

Right now Shipp has trade value, so I say the latter.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Right now Shipp has trade value, so I say the latter.

No offense, but that's ridiculous. Shipp's trade value is minimal.

Marshall Faulk, an established 1,000 yard rusher was traded for a 2nd round pick. Shipp hasn't had nearly the success that Faulk had, and has never been able to stay healthy.

If you draft Jackson, it wouldn't make much sense to trade Shipp. You wouldn't get much for him anyway.

MAKTEN

Veteran
Reaction score
He's good. He's especially good at running with the football and scoring touchdowns.

He's a great south-west-north-east type of runner

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05