Dennis Green does SoFlo radio interview

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
Right now Shipp has trade value, so I say the latter.

I wonder how much he really does? Last year at this time I would totally agree, this year, I am not sure what we could get for him.

I wouldn't be crushed if took Jackson, I watch a lot of Pac 10 games and he was clearly the best RB in the conference and probably the best since DeShaun Foster.

I just see Taylor as the type of kid that if he stays healthy will be a perennial pro bowl player for 8-10 years and that's really hard to pass on. If it's for Ben absolutely, for anybody else I'm skeptical right now.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
No offense, but that's ridiculous. Shipp's trade value is minimal.

Marshall Faulk, an established 1,000 yard rusher was traded for a 2nd round pick. Shipp hasn't had nearly the success that Faulk had, and has never been able to stay healthy.

You have to take into account the contracts that they're signed to though. It's not necessarily just a straight up talent for draft pick issue. He's a good back signed to a very reasonable, if not cheap deal.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You have to take into account the contracts that they're signed to though. It's not necessarily just a straight up talent for draft pick issue. He's a good back signed to a very reasonable, if not cheap deal.

Right, but it's for, what, two more years?

I think that you could maybe, MAYBE get a 3rd round pick for Marcel, who I think wouldn't be able to start for any other team in the league. He's all right sometimes, but hasn't proved that he can consistently move the ball or get it into the end zone. Maybe the Bears could take him, since he'd be a cheap replacement for Thomas, and might fit better into their offensive system (where they could put Thomas in inside the red zone.

Like Anthony Clement, I'm not sure that Shipp's trade value has ever been lower. I think that the clock is ticking on his tenure as a Cardinal, maybe in the NFL, with the system that Green runs.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by kerouac9

I think that you could maybe, MAYBE get a 3rd round pick for Marcel, who I think wouldn't be able to start for any other team in the league.

Well, my opinion of him isn't THAT low. I think he could start for Pittsburgh, Washington, New England, Detroit, Chicago, probably Cleveland and obviously Tampa.

And if you can get a third rounder for him, I'd jump all over it (if I were drafting Jackson).

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Well, my opinion of him isn't THAT low. I think he could start for Pittsburgh, Washington, New England, Detroit, Chicago, probably Cleveland and obviously Tampa.

And if you can get a third rounder for him, I'd jump all over it (if I were drafting Jackson).

I agree, but a few of those teams are in position to grab a back that could be better with the veil of mystery shrouded around them as well (no one knows how those backs will be).

If I'm Detroit/Washington, maybe I want Kevin Jones/Steven Jackson? Jones/Jackson have much higher upsides than Shipp.

Or If I need a back, maybe I sign Duce Staley, who has been pretty productive and brings more to the table than Shipp.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score

Exactly, and that HELPS his trade value.
If you average 4.0 ypc on a horrible offense and you're only in your fourth year, you have trade value.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Loyal Card 17
what is all this crazy talk about drafting a rb

Crazy talk? We don't exactly have a pro bowl running back.

Last I checked, a strong running game is a key element for a playoff team in most years.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by Loyal Card 17
what is all this crazy talk about drafting a rb

For one, our #1 guy is pretty much average and scored zero points in 258 touches.
Our #2 guy is Emmit Smith. There have been hundreds of NFL running backs. Only once (John Riggins) has one rushed for more than 1000 yards past the age of 34.
Our #3 guy is recovering from a terrible accident.
Our #4 guy has almost no upside.

Just don't be surprised if Green takes a back in the first round, either at #3 or somewhere else in the top ten.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
For one, our #1 guy is pretty much average and scored zero points in 258 touches.

It's pretty funny that this was the point that I rang in the board on, and everyone shouted me down on it. Admittedly, it was a blatantly pro-#26 thread (Resolution not to post his name here), but Marcel is exceptionally average as an NFL back, and I think that if Green's offensive system requires nothing else, it's an above-average/All Pro back.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
It's pretty funny that this was the point that I rang in the board on, and everyone shouted me down on it.

Eh, but after the 2002 season it didn't make much sense.
Plus I enjoy shouting at you.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Everyone enjoys shouting at me. I'm just a little prescient about these things. Everyone loved KVB last season, too.

It's not like Marcel did something markedly different this season as opposed to last. I just think that it's easy to blame Jake/injuries/no WRs/etc. when Shipp does bad than to look at the player and see he's average. Our offensive line was just average in 2003, and Marcel had a couple of good games. That's about how good Marcel is going to get.

For one thing, I wouldn't trade Bryant Johnson for almost anything. I think he's going to be a star. Who wouldn't want a young Eric Moulds? That's what we have. Him and Quan are going to be stars. All we need is a good running back.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Can we just agree that nobody is allowed to say SoFlo ever again? Thanks

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
I agree, but a few of those teams are in position to grab a back that could be better with the veil of mystery shrouded around them as well (no one knows how those backs will be).

If I'm Detroit/Washington, maybe I want Kevin Jones/Steven Jackson? Jones/Jackson have much higher upsides than Shipp.

Or If I need a back, maybe I sign Duce Staley, who has been pretty productive and brings more to the table than Shipp.

Rumor I hear is Duce Staley wants to play for Parcells in Dallas and Duce wants to play for Parcells. Other rumor I hear is Parcells wants Jay Fiedler.

I have been touting Sean Taylor and Steven Jackson to the Cards in the #1 slot for weeks now. I am glad to see they are creeping up in some Cards fans minds. I think they are 2 difference makers who can have immediate impact on this team. The QBs are my 1st choice, but if they are gone...... :cool:

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
AHH!! I had to post 1 more time, don't want 666 :)

Last edited:

NFL_FAN

NFL_FAN
Reaction score
Originally posted by wallyburger
Rumor I hear is Duce Staley wants to play for Parcells in Dallas and Duce wants to play for Parcells.

Am I stoned or did Wallyburger repeat repeat himself himself???

Wallyburger.....floorpie......mmmmmmm

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score

It still doesnt make much sense. Unless you plan on taking a RB with the #3 pick, then all your gonna get in the later rounds is more 'potential' which is exactly what Shipp has.

I am all for drafting RB late 5-6th round, but only to fill the depth chart if the extreme happens and 3 RB's go down. Not to replace Shipp.

If your big arguemnt is that Shipp doesnt score than I am not sure it is that legitimite of an arguement. There are lots of great RB's in the NFL who have get many more touches and only have a handful of TD's.

Top 20 RB's in the NFL (Yards gained over 1000)

#6 Fred Taylor 345 Att 1572 yards 6 td's
#12 Curtis Martin 323 Att 1308 Yards 2 td's
#14 Tiki Barber 278 Att 1216 yards 2 Td's
#16 Eddie George 312 Att 1091 Yards 5 Td's

All of these guys had very little TD's this past year and I doubt anyone would consider them just 'average' (perhaps George is now average) but Martin, Taylor and Barber are all very very god backs. Just becuase they have scored a massive amount of TD's doesnt mean they now suck!

Red zone %, inside the 5%, has a lot to do with a RB scoring or not. I wont confuse Shipp with Portis, Holmes, or Green, but saying he is no better than average, IMO, is a little hasty.

Lets give the kid a chance with anew coach, and system to prove himself!

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by wallyburger

I have been touting Sean Taylor and Steven Jackson to the Cards in the #1 slot for weeks now. I am glad to see they are creeping up in some Cards fans minds. I think they are 2 difference makers who can have immediate impact on this team. The QBs are my 1st choice, but if they are gone...... :cool:

I'm in the Sean Taylor boat, lets add a guarenteed star, a guarenteed Pro bowler,diffrence maker to the weakest side of this team the D. Sean Taylor is a play maker we need those on defense

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05