Diamondbacks-Cubs Series

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Memo to Snyder:

There is a pizza place in Tucson called Rocco's. The deep dish pizza is really good. You should go there and try it. Soon.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Mulli808 said:
Memo to Snyder:

There is a pizza place in Tucson called Rocco's. The deep dish pizza is really good. You should go there and try it. Soon.

He should see if they're hiring.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I could put up with the awful offense from Hill and Snyder if they played good D and called good games. Unfortunately, they usually suck at that too.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Snyder has done crap, especially with men in scoring position.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Bases loaded again.

Come on Terrero blow this thing open.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
BoMel should make a new rule.

You drive in runs you start the next game.

You drive in runs with 2 outs you ABSOULUTELY start the next game.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great game. Halsey and the bullpen did a fantastic job. 2.5 out and the Padres are losing 9-3 in the 6th. :thumbup:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
The Fathers are getting rolled by the Cardinals as well. After all the garbage, we're still looking at only being two games out with a couple months left. The Dodgers are getting spanked also.

Billexium

Reaction score
Watch out if the Rockies go on a hot streak. (insert personal sarcastic tone) They are only 14 games out of first. THE ROCKIES!!! Thank goodness for the NL West! The Indians are 14 games out of first in the AL Central and they're 52-50.

AzJc

Rookie
Reaction score
devilalum said:
Runners at 1rst and 3rd with no outs and they can't score.

PATHETIC

You don't have to have a catcher that hits .300 but the guy can't be an automatic out. Snyder has to go. Why don't they play Stennet every day?[/QUOT

Stinnett is hurt, sprained his wrist a week a go, that game when he scored the winning run

OP
OP
A

AZZenny

Reaction score
I could put up with the awful offense from Hill and Snyder if they played good D and called good games. Unfortunately, they usually suck at that too.

Not sure I'd go out on that limb too far. Snyder has better CERA (pitcher's ERA with a particular catcher) by a half run over Stinnet and 1.3 runs over Hill, and is 4th in the NL - Matheny, Lieberthal, Barrett, Snyder. He's in the top dozen MLB regular catchers for fielding percentage - right there with Mauer, Damian Miller, and Pudge. 12th for caught stealing %, 8th for put-outs. 10th in all the majors for Range Factor.

I think when so many former catchers say he does call a good game and is defensively sound - for the limited experience he actually has - that's not where the criticism should be aimed. He's just started taking a few more walks - which used to be a strength - and his OBP is in there with Estrada, Barajas, Pierzinski, Pudge.

Should he have stayed in the minors another year or two? definitely. No argument from me. Is there a healthy extra catcher lying around out there who is really significantly better overall? Pretty doubtful - and Hill ain't it.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
Not sure I'd go out on that limb too far. Snyder has better CERA (pitcher's ERA with a particular catcher) by a half run over Stinnet and 1.3 runs over Hill, and is 4th in the NL - Matheny, Lieberthal, Barrett, Snyder. He's in the top dozen MLB regular catchers for fielding percentage - right there with Mauer, Damian Miller, and Pudge. 12th for caught stealing %, 8th for put-outs. 10th in all the majors for Range Factor.

I think when so many former catchers say he does call a good game and is defensively sound - for the limited experience he actually has - that's not where the criticism should be aimed. He's just started taking a few more walks - which used to be a strength - and his OBP is in there with Estrada, Barajas, Pierzinski, Pudge.

Should he have stayed in the minors another year or two? definitely. No argument from me. Is there a healthy extra catcher lying around out there who is really significantly better overall? Pretty doubtful - and Hill ain't it.

Snyder right now is awful. He has shown nothing to prove he should be a starting catcher in the majors. You're so big on stats and Snyder is atrocious with runners in scoring position. Pitchers look better swinging at strike three than Snyder. He looks clueless at guessing what pitch the pither is going to throw him.

Not trying to be mean but people have bagged Clayton because of his stats, but it seems you have a double standard for Snyder. Why? They need help at the catcher's position so bad that I would be happy with Barajas behind the plate. Snyder might turn out to be a nice catcher in the future but he should not be playing right now.

Last edited:

sundevilscott

Kaycee's Daddy
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
Snyder right now is awful. He has shown nothing to prove he should be a starting catcher in the majors. You're so big on stats and Snyder is atrocious with runners in scoring position. Pitchers look better swinging at strike three than Snyder. He looks clueless at guessing what pitch the pither is going to throw him.

Not trying to be mean but people have bagged Clayton because of his stats, but it seems you have a double standard for Snyder. Why? They need help at the catcher's position so bad that I would be happy with Barajas behind the plate. Snyder might turn out to be a nice catcher in the future but he should not be playing right now.

You absolutelly nailed it. I was thinking this exact thing watching the game last night. :thumbup:

OP
OP
A

AZZenny

Reaction score
I guess I don't expect as much from a prematurely brought-up catcher as I do from someone brought in for $1.3 M to be an established, supposedly skilled big league infield player. Different expectations, not double standard, Zona. For that matter, I don't expect as much at the plate from a veteran catcher as from an established position player, so a greenhorn gets double-exemption points from me.

I have never said Snyder's batting decently, because he's not. I've said repeatedly if he'd at least show a smidge of the good patience he had in the minors, and jacked up his OBP 50 points, I could easily tolerate the poor hitting.

My point has been that he is a pretty good receiver and has promise, and because of that, they won't be dumping him just because of his crappy batting, so you guys are persistently banging your heads against a wall. Also, that even if he was hitting .260 it wouldn't be enough to make a difference with this team, so spread the wrath a bit wider. LOL. (Although after yesterday's terrible at bats, wouldn't be too surprised to see Hill in, except he and Javy didn't work well together last time out.)

btw: Runners on: Snyder .222, Hill .222, Stinnett .208; RISP Snyder .161, Hill .176, Stinnett .125. Stinnett's last 3-year total with Runners on is .209. Be careful what you wish for. They ALL suck, and suck equally. I was surprised to see Cintron is .203 with RISP. He's even worse than Glaus.

I wanted to keep Barajas, and at the time said it was one more of Joe's penny-wise/pound-foolish, short-sighted moves - that he was a decent receiver and was starting to function better with the bat, that young catchers take a few years longer to really get it all together (by which time the knees start to go!) than position guys and they weren't replacing him with anyone better or cheaper.

Last edited:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
I
My point has been that he is a pretty good receiver and has promise, and because of that, they won't be dumping him just because of his crappy batting,

The same could be said about Clayton. Royce has been hitting better in the last two weeks.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think Zenny doth protest too much about Snyder.

Is he your brother or something? Everyone agrees the guy is terrible at the plate, and you try to make him out to be Pudge behind it, which is far from the truth.

What gives?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan