Diaw, Are you there?

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Does anyone remember having these exact same conversations about Joe Johnson his first few years in the league? I sure do. One of these days, it's going to click for Boris (again). I just hope it's sooner rather than later, and I also hope it doesn't involve Amare's knees (again).

Wow - thats a great point.

Diaw is going to have to fine tune that jumper a little better and actually - ya know - want it. But I think the inconsistency thing is pretty much spot on.

Food for thought: As much as we kill Joe and Marion for wanting to be "the man" and not understanding what they have and subsequently leaving- it sure did drive them to be better players while they were here.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For Diaw to be effective, throw the ball inside to him and then tell the other players to run to the other end of the court to make him shoot. He can be very effective when he realizes he is the only option.

Seriously, Diaw is an enigma because he has all the skills to be a nice player but his on/off type play drives me crazy. Sometimes I think if D'Antoni and other players would ostracise him when he drives the ball literally to the rim of the basket and then doesn't shoot, it might help.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Diaw is the first casualty when the suns make a significant roster change where the responsibilities shift. When amare came back, he stepped aside. When Hill came aboard, he disappeared. Now when shaq comes aboard, he's awol again. I think he needs to start again, the suns havent solved why he doesnt come off the bench well, but yet plays well when he starts. I think its the inclusiveness that Steve Nash brings to an unstable situation, boris needs to play with nash on the floor. As for those who say he has never played good defense, naaah! The last time the suns played the spurs, Diaw played the best D on TD, better than Skinner, better than Marion, and certainly better than amare.

Now the suns apparently want him to be shawn Marion, dont know about that one, I dont think he can, not he same skill set. Diaw will once again be the last piece to click into place after the team settles from the shaq trade.

Diaw is a strange bird thats for sure, hearing him miked during a recent game was really strange, like a kids train woooo woooo! He is very talented and fragile, kind of like AK47('cept he doesnt cry in public), and the Jazz are probably very thankful they were patient with AK right about now.

The pistons game looked like a buzzsaw meeting wood, nasty, as the suns just malfunctioned time after time on offense against a very well oiled machine. Yeah, the pistons defense was very good, but the suns were terrible, couldnt even make open shots. It wasnt just diaw, the spacing stunk and the suns have to figure out how to get shaq integrated. No one could guard Rasheed without a double. LB was really passive after getting popped(a nasty collision that could have been much worse injurywise) by paul pierce, and grant hill looked old, while Nash struggled with billups on both ends(on offense due to poor spacing). I thought the suns missed marion in that game, first time in the three games with shaq.

In a few weeks(3-4), the dust will settle and fans will know what the trade has wrought. At least now, since Yao is out, the suns shouldnt have too much trouble making the playoffs, meaning that experimentation wont be as expensive. In the interim, DA would be wise to just start boris when matchups permit, rest hill(he of 35 years), and figure out how to integrate shaq in the offense, AND the defense. When shaq goes to try and block a shot, his teammates need to be reflexive and cover, that didnt appear to be the case. I guess most suns players dont want to get hit by one of shaqs devastating elbows, when he really moves, they may just watch, for now.. I think the suns are just getting used to shaq on both ends and the diesel is not in suns shape.

The pistons are a really good team, when motivated, get used to it. I think they are better with McDyess at center than with Big Ben, as Mcdyess can hit that 15-17 footer, the spacing is better. Rasheed wallace is a load, easily the better of the two wallaces, and prince is a great defender(I'd take him over bowen in a heartbeat, considering defense only).

Hey, the suns had to make the trade anyway, they werent going anywhere with marion against the newly constituted lakers, just fishing.

Last edited:

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
I see no logic in rewarding him a starting position with the lackluster effort he has displayed this season.

Im not a fan of coddling millionaires in hopes they earn their money.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nowagimp, I realized the Suns were in big trouble with Detroit the minute it sunk in, they had two big men (McDyess and Wallace) that were not dependent on getting to the basket because of their outside shot... and who was Shaq going to guard?

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
I see no logic in rewarding him a starting position with the lackluster effort he has displayed this season.

If that's what it takes, hell, fine. Coddle him half to death for all I care. If he's making 9 million, the least he can do is not suck; I'm not really concerned with how that change takes place. :)

I do think Boris should be starting. In a starting role, his per-48-minute numbers are up across the board, most notably in points, steals, blocks, and field goal percentage (all indicators of his aggressiveness).

We know Boris doesn't do well off the bench, but we don't know about Hill yet. He has come off the bench only twice, but the per-48 numbers in those games are relatively encouraging - points, rebounds, steals, and blocks are all up, with the only bad signs being decreased assists and more turnovers. Very small sample size, but encouraging nonetheless.

Not to be John Hollinger or anything, but the stats tell me that it's an experiment worth trying.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
Nowagimp, I realized the Suns were in big trouble with Detroit the minute it sunk in, they had two big men (McDyess and Wallace) that were not dependent on getting to the basket because of their outside shot... and who was Shaq going to guard?

That's what help defense and defensive rotations are for (in theory, not that the Suns know how to rotate on defense or often care to...)

Plus, McDyess hardly ever hits that top of the key shot even when he's wide open. :( He got a few lucky jumpers in at the beginning and it was just pile-on stuff from that point on. But you make a great point--having a center AND a power forward with some shooting range is a rare luxury that Detroit enjoys. They're really not a team I'd want to face in the playoffs.

nowagimp

Reaction score

exactly, mainstreet, I suspect the score would have been closer just playing diaw as the pistons could get a free open shot anytime from 15-17'.

nowagimp

Reaction score

Its not about logic, sometimes, YJGSD, otherwise coaching would be alot easier than it is. Diaw is passive and needs to be forced to be aggressive, and yelling at him may not do it. AK47 didnt earn his starting spot, but did start, and is a major factor for the jazz now, and his contract may have been worse than diaws before he picked it up this year. Thats why sloan is a great NBA coach and you and I are ASFN posters.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Better question is Bell, he has been terrible this season. His defense hasn't been good and the only thing he could do offensively, shooting 3s, has been average at best and since Shaq he has been AWFUL.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
15 points on 6-7 shooting, with 11 rebounds, 7 assists, 3 steals in 30 minutes. If he could keep this up, I'd be very happy. Scary thing is that we all know he is capable of putting up numbers like this every game. The question is what exactly is it going to take for him to play up to his full potential.

passenger

Let's get Nashty
Reaction score
I have trust in this guy,he s talented,he dished 7 assists today,we just hope he'll keep up the same numbers

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
I have trust in this guy,he s talented,he dished 7 assists today,we just hope he'll keep up the same numbers
knowing him, he won't. he has good games like this every so often. if he was supposed to be earning a contract this year, he might put up numbers like that more often.

but then again, this was against memphis. if he did that against la, boston, detroit, sa, dallas, golden state, etc. i might be a little more impressed. kobe went for 81 points against a pitiful toronto team. Sure lakers fans were thrilled he pullied it off, but it was still toronto. The team that players play against takes away from/adds to the value of what they do.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
knowing him, he won't. he has good games like this every so often. if he was supposed to be earning a contract this year, he might put up numbers like that more often.

but then again, this was against memphis. if he did that against la, boston, detroit, sa, dallas, golden state, etc. i might be a little more impressed. kobe went for 81 points against a pitiful toronto team. Sure lakers fans were thrilled he pullied it off, but it was still toronto. The team that players play against takes away from/adds to the value of what they do.

His recent Dallas line wasn't too bad. 19pts 8rb 5ast 3blk....
Maybe he's only good once every couple of weeks...

passenger

Let's get Nashty
Reaction score

true but stats say his numbers went up last coupe of games.

you know what most annoys me,his critical repeatedly travelling turnovers

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I think Diaw is enjoying getting to play more of a perimeter-bigman game on both ends.

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
I think Diaw is enjoying getting to play more of a perimeter-bigman game on both ends.
I agree, and he is punishing smaller defenders in the post when he gets the chance. Amare is enjoying the perimeter as well - that drive and dunk from the corner in the second half yesterday was unbelievable!

nowagimp

Reaction score
I agree, and he is punishing smaller defenders in the post when he gets the chance. Amare is enjoying the perimeter as well - that drive and dunk from the corner in the second half yesterday was unbelievable!

That dunk sure looked like a pre-surgery amare to me. And Boris Diaw was just hustling all game long, tapping out offensive rebounds in with taller players, punishing whoever they tried to hide defensively on him. I think Boris will be there, he will be a key player for the suns playoff run. He may be the player who delivers the ball to shaq in the post where he needs it(a real problem for the suns so far).

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone remember having these exact same conversations about Joe Johnson his first few years in the league? I sure do. One of these days, it's going to click for Boris (again). I just hope it's sooner rather than later, and I also hope it doesn't involve Amare's knees (again).

Wow - thats a great point.

Diaw is going to have to fine tune that jumper a little better and actually - ya know - want it. But I think the inconsistency thing is pretty much spot on.

Food for thought: As much as we kill Joe and Marion for wanting to be "the man" and not understanding what they have and subsequently leaving- it sure did drive them to be better players while they were here.

A lot of us said the exact same thing about Barbosa too.