Did Bowen kick Amare on the final dunk??

Michael

The buzz is back!
Reaction score
First: I hate Bowen and the Spurs dirty game.

Frankly, I can't tell wether Bowen is going for Amaré's leg or just stepping towards him.

I've watched the video numerous times, and though there is no way Bowen could stop Amaré with a move towards him, it doesn't look as he is trying to kick him to me.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think it's generally accepted that the Spurs are the dirtiest team in the league, but as long as the Suns keep their energy high and man up defensively, it won't matter.

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
First: I hate Bowen and the Spurs dirty game.

Frankly, I can't tell wether Bowen is going for Amaré's leg or just stepping towards him.

I've watched the video numerous times, and though there is no way Bowen could stop Amaré with a move towards him, it doesn't look as he is trying to kick him to me.

agree as many people do but for some reason there are some fans and not just suns fans that think that was an intentional play. It looks to me as if Bowen made a move to stop Amare and he stopped just as Amare stopped and went back up to dunk it. It looks as if Bowen barely grazes him and is in no way intentional. I am not saying Bowen doesn't have his fair share of questionable tactics but this without a doubt is not one of them.

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
The fact that the Suns got up in the Spurs faces and were diving and battling from the get go made this game more fairly officiated than game 1. Keep showing the refs that kind of intensity and the Suns should get their fair share of calls.
I did see Duncan blatantly kick Amare - that's the one play the NBA may look at.
Yes - Bowen gets away w/ cheap shots - perfect time for a Jumaine Jones to come in and be hockey goon...
As for the Spurs getting away with their constant whining and soccer like flopping - thats what 3 championships in 9 years gets you...

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
I noticed on the ESPN highlights amare ws wincing after the finish from the no look pass from diaw. He look like he didn't get off the ground too well, and was in pain when he landed. I didn't get to see the game, but wondered if anyone else noticed it.

The media at the post-game conference noticed it. They asked D'Antoni whether Amare got hurt on that play since he went out of the game shortly after. D said he didn't get hurt, that Amare was fine -- just tired, and it was time for him to come out. Of course that's what you'd expect him to say, I guess, unless it was something major, but Amare didn't look to be limping at all or favoring anything when he walked off the floor.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns fans need to quit whining and complaining.

Be happy we won game 2 and lets get ready for game 3. Show some support for this team and we can get this thing taken care of. Just quit acting like schoolkids.

Agreed. I thought the Manu holding Amare was funny, since I knew our fellow Suns fans would complain, but when Ainge did something like that we called it "clever."

Dirty play all depends on the point of view. And I can't even tell if Bowen or Duncan are trying to kick someone -- no more than I can tell if Nash was trying to kick Kobe in the last series. I do know this: If you've already made your mind the Spurs are an evil entity and each player has murder on their mind, you can make any little incident into something that requires an FBI investigation.

Just enjoy the game and don't get so caught up in guessing a player's motivation. I do think Manu flopping gets bad, but I haven't seen him do that once this series. Raja on the other hand ... ;)

sunsfn

Reaction score
The media at the post-game conference noticed it. They asked D'Antoni whether Amare got hurt on that play since he went out of the game shortly after. D said he didn't get hurt, that Amare was fine -- just tired, and it was time for him to come out. Of course that's what you'd expect him to say, I guess, unless it was something major, but Amare didn't look to be limping at all or favoring anything when he walked off the floor.

The press asked him if Amare hurt his hand on one of his dunks, D'Antoni said no he is okay. It looked to me like he hurt his hand on one or two of the dunks, not sure how that could happen.

But, if you watch the play where he dunks (the 3rd rated on the highlights) Bowen does kick him in the back of his right ankle. It is very easy to see, and that is not just something that happens, that was deliberate! The play where Bowen trys to step on someones foot, that is one of those step close to a guy and cause him to miss his shot, but on this play Amare dunked so it did not effect him. Bowen has been known for some time of being a dirty player and putting his foot in close and under another player when he is shooting. This many times causes the player to miss the shot because he is worried about coming down on Bowens foot and possible turning an ankle.

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
The fact that the Suns got up in the Spurs faces and were diving and battling from the get go made this game more fairly officiated than game 1. Keep showing the refs that kind of intensity and the Suns should get their fair share of calls.
I did see Duncan blatantly kick Amare - that's the one play the NBA may look at.
Yes - Bowen gets away w/ cheap shots - perfect time for a Jumaine Jones to come in and be hockey goon...
As for the Spurs getting away with their constant whining and soccer like flopping - thats what 3 championships in 9 years gets you...

That's it. The officials and the officiating change game to game and the players have to read the situation and act accordingly. But in general, hustle and intensity and playing through the little dirty tricks without a lot of whining should get them the calls. Admittedly that will be more difficult in San Antonio, we know that. The Suns may not be quite so adept at some of those moves but they've shown they can hold their own in a physical game. Popovich admitted last night that the Suns' physicality "wilted" his team (probably surprised them) and that's the way the Suns need to play the Spurs -- whatever they throw at you, throw it back and don't back down from the big kid in the playground. "Don't get mad ........ get even."

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, it seems that on both dunks Bowen stepped right into Amare's feet.

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
The press asked him if Amare hurt his hand on one of his dunks, D'Antoni said no he is okay. It looked to me like he hurt his hand on one or two of the dunks, not sure how that could happen.

Yes, I know that was the question asked, but I assumed it was the same dunk everyone's complaining about because it was the only time in the whole game I saw Amare come down looking like something hurt.

"... not sure how that could happen ...." That's how Marion hurt his hand in the RS, bashed it hard on the rim. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

I totally agree on Bowen's tactics, and so do quite a few players/coaches. There's a video on YouTube of the play that sent Isaiah ballistic -- Bowen obviously slid his foot out under the jump shooter in an exaggerated awkward move -- and nobody, but NOBODY with eyes can claim with any seriousness that it wasn't intentional. Supposedly he received a warning from the league. Anyway, I do worry about injuries in this series and especially inflicted injuries, given the Spurs approach. The level of physical play always goes up even higher in the playoffs. I just think the Suns are tougher than they get credit for being, and hope I'm right.

Last edited:

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
enough already. maybe watch it a few more times.

look at about the 1:15 mark here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QigtC_J_1K0

if you have the game saved on TV, watch it it slow mo. it's pretty easy to tell it was on purpose. if he was trying to contest the dunk he would be moving towards him, but instead he leans back when he is trying to kick amares ankle.

bowen is known for sticking his foot under like that when someone jumps. its usually on jumpshots though.

kps0001

Reaction score
if you have the game saved on TV, watch it it slow mo. it's pretty easy to tell it was on purpose. if he was trying to contest the dunk he would be moving towards him, but instead he leans back when he is trying to kick amares ankle.

bowen is known for sticking his foot under like that when someone jumps. its usually on jumpshots though.

I understand bowens tactics. Bowen in no way tried to contest the dunk and made an abrupt stop and therefore was leaning back leaving his foot out there. The minor kick to the ankle seemed pretty inadvertent in my opinion.

Unless I hear Amare or Coach D having issues with it and subsequently the league doing something about it I think we need to stop beating this dead horse and agree to disagree on this one.

Spursforever

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It was nothing. Basketball is a physical sport and contact happens. I watched a HDTV recording of it several times in slo-mo on a 70 inch screen and there was just a slight brush, if anything...

If Bowen really wanted to injure him, Amare would be out for the series. You folks watch too much Oprah!

kps0001

Reaction score
It was nothing. Basketball is a physical sport and contact happens. I watched a HDTV recording of it several times in slo-mo on a 70 inch screen and there was just a slight brush, if anything...

If Bowen really wanted to injure him, Amare would be out for the series. You folks watch too much Oprah!

:wave: welcome. good to see some Spurs fans showing up and posting.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Welcome. I still have it recorded. I didn't see anything on that play.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bowen steps into shooter's feet to throw them off. Won't be suspended for it.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Dirty play all depends on the point of view. And I can't even tell if Bowen or Duncan are trying to kick someone -- no more than I can tell if Nash was trying to kick Kobe in the last series. I do know this: If you've already made your mind the Spurs are an evil entity and each player has murder on their mind, you can make any little incident into something that requires an FBI investigation.

If you don't even think the Nash kick was on purpose, I don't know what else to say.

Oh, and thanks for the laugh, Jenna. :lol:

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:biglaugh:

sweep the leg Johnny!!!!!

Popovich: Bruce, I want him out of commission.
Bowen: Sensei, we can beat this team.
Popovich: I don't want them beaten.
Bowen: But I'll be disqualified
Popovich: OUT OF COMMISSION.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bowen DOES grab and hold Nash constantly though, and without calls. Watch, each time as Nash goes by Bowen his left should and arm are pulled back. Bowen doesn't just brush him, he grabs him and holds him.

That's not Bowen's fault though. The refs job is to call it. Nash is going to have to sell it some to get a call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05