Did Bowen kick Amare on the final dunk??

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad that the Suns are sending the video to the league office for review and Amare made the complaint. I'm thinking if Raja had not taken Kobe down last year in the playoffs Kobe would have gotten away with elbowing and such this year. I noticed the referees were making the calls against Kobe this year. Sometimes cheap shots have to be pointed out when the referees ignore such play. When the referees do not enforce rules equally this leads to ugly incidents and fights. I sometime worry this is what the Spurs want... to get a player like Amare ejected or suspended.

phxrising

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a video of the Leg pull from Manu?

or can someone tell me about what time in the game it happened?

thanks

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Middle of the first quarter, I think (Game 2), but it might have been a bit later than that. That play was cheap but not dangerous; basically Ginobili got away with a simple hold.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Does anyone have a video of Duncan kicking his leg out on an offensive rebound in the 3rd quarter (I think)? Now that looked pretty weird definately, he was close to kicking someone in the head.

Do we really want Bowen suspended though? If he was Ginobili would start, who would Nash guard? Finley?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Does anyone have a video of Duncan kicking his leg out on an offensive rebound in the 3rd quarter (I think)? Now that looked pretty weird definately, he was close to kicking someone in the head.

I recall him doing that more than once.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Do we really want Bowen suspended though? If he was Ginobili would start, who would Nash guard? Finley?

It happened at about the 8:30 mark in the 4th. At first, it appeared like he tried to kick Amare. However, Duncan was off balance at the time, and you can easily tell that.

No harm on foul or that one.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's a Reggie Miller thing--make your body go horizontal, and your chances of drawing a foul increase tenfold.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score

thanks

ginobli was on the ground holding on to amare's leg.

bell passed the ball to amare, but amare couldnt get to it since manu was holding his leg.

of course, the ref was looking right at amare the entire time and didnt blow his whistle.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a Reggie Miller thing--make your body go horizontal, and your chances of drawing a foul increase tenfold.

This was much after the play, even for Reggie's standards.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Local SA radio is saying the NBA has reviewed the tape and no action will be taken.

This is alright if Amare suffered no injury. The message has been sent... now the referees need to blow the whistle. And I think they may with the added attention or at least that is my hope.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
ESPN just ran a story about Amare complaining about Bowen and showed a bunch of clips, but didn't even show the play in question. They did show another play though where there's a scramble for the ball that Nash dives on the ground and gets the ball, passes it off and then Bowen kicks him in the head (after the pass & looked intentional again).

cly2tw

Reaction score
Amare is entitled to say what he says as he was the victim. But as a bystander, I still would give Bowen some benefit of doubt and not automatically assume he had intention to injure somebody, at least not in this case. I can describe his motivation as trying to be as close as possible to the shooting guy to distract him. The difference from Bell is that Bell draws line far ahead where he might hurt the opponent, while Bowen just goes right to the brink which causes a lot of accidental contacts that actually have a chance to seriously hurt the other guy. That's the nature why many call him "dirty".

cly2tw

Reaction score
This is alright if Amare suffered no injury. The message has been sent... now the referees need to blow the whistle. And I think they may with the added attention or at least that is my hope.

Exactly. The refs are quite aware of their own mistakes and will make certain sort of "make-up" calls. They didn't hesitate one bid on offensive foul on Duncan right after the Manu foot-hold posse, which caused Pop to go wild at the refs for a tech. In review, the call is still right as it is consistent with how the refs called all season. But the so determined tone of the quick whisle blow was an indication that refs realized their previous gross mistake.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. The refs are quite aware of their own mistakes and will make certain sort of "make-up" calls. They didn't hesitate one bid on offensive foul on Duncan right after the Manu foot-hold posse, which caused Pop to go wild at the refs for a tech. In review, the call is still right as it is consistent with how the refs called all season. But the so determined tone of the quick whisle blow was an indication that refs realized their previous gross mistake.

The only thing I would add that the quick whistle on Duncan crashing into Nash was not a makeup call so the Suns gained nothing. Duncan deserved the charging foul quite clearly so the referees did not impress me by making the proper call. They only did what they were supposed to do. As one poster mentioned, Pops did Duncan a favor by pleading his case so he would not get ejected. The referees need to make an example out of Bowen or Ginobili if they continue to make cheap plays... especially Bowen.

cly2tw

Reaction score
The only thing I would add that the quick whistle on Duncan crashing into Nash was not a makeup call so the Suns gained nothing. Duncan deserved the charging foul quite clearly so the referees did not impress me by making the proper call. They only did what they were supposed to do. As one poster mentioned, Pops did Duncan a favor by pleading his case so he would not get ejected. The referees need to make an example out of Bowen or Ginobili if they continue to make cheap plays... especially Bowen.

Hey, I think you get spoiled now;) There was a time that Duncan could do no wrong and Amare no right.:bang: So, be grateful that the Spurs don't get as much favorism from the refs anymore.:thumbup:

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I got to thinking about the post where someone pointed out that Manu not only flops, but does it into opponents to a remarkable degree and NEVER INTO HIS OWN GUYS.

It is one thing to fall down more easily than what might naturally happen, but I cannot remember Bell or Nash every falling into someone else.

Greg Popovich

Registered
Reaction score
All this moaning and whining about Manu Ginobili is doing nothing more than giving the Suns the appearance of being --well--for lack of a better word, "whiners."

Even Greg Anthony on ESPN--who is not a Spurs lover by any stretch of the imagination--called out Amare for his comments yesterday, stating that playoff basketball is much more physical than regular season basketball and Amare's statements were out of bounds.

I am bothered by Bowen's acvtions.

But the shots he took against Manu were cheap and uncalled for.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The only thing wrong with Stoudemire's comments is that they violate the usual "code of honor" I often write about. But of course they are correct. As Errntknght has pointed out several times, if Ginobili were merely a klutz, he'd run into a teammate once in a while. Since that has never happened, the conclusion that he deliberately launches himself into targeted opponents is irresistable.

That said, the play where he held Stoudemire's legs is nothing to get excited about. Actually it turned out great for the Suns, since the subsequent make-up call on Duncan had a much bigger impact on the game than a properly called foul on Ginobili would have.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score

That was a make up call.

And props to Nash because he recognized the Spurs were very suseptible to any call there, and got himself in perfect positon to have it levied on Duncan.

If Duncan didn't crash into Nash, a travelling violation or 3 second violation would have been called. Bank it.

sunsfn

Reaction score
All this moaning and whining about Manu Ginobili is doing nothing more than giving the Suns the appearance of being --well--for lack of a better word, "whiners."

Even Greg Anthony on ESPN--who is not a Spurs lover by any stretch of the imagination--called out Amare for his comments yesterday, stating that playoff basketball is much more physical than regular season basketball and Amare's statements were out of bounds.

You may not know this, but Anthony is a suns hater and has been since he went after KJ from the bench many years ago and hit him from behind. Anthony has constantly ripped the suns the last few years and has always voted against Nash in the MVP voting and says so.

Never defend him or talk about him here, he is hated here as bad as any announcer can be!!!

P.S. the shots against Manu are justified. Manu grabbed Amare by the leg, Amare stood still thank goodness, because If he had moved fast he could have twisted his leg. Did you see him kick Amare in the groin early in the year? It was not accidental! Manu and Bowen are dirty players...........!

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Greg Anthony is the last person to cite when it comes to ethics. I was listening to his remarks and he said the reason these inadvertant events occur is that the Spurs "close out on defense." That was the a-hole's explanation. Holding and kicking have nothing to do with "closing out."

As far as the Suns' fans being whiners because of this, speaking for myself, I actually don't have a problem with players cheating ("If you're not cheating, you're not trying"). However, I have a huge problem with the officials and league condoning cheating, especially when there is potential for injury. The league only cares about its image (in order to generate revenue). At this moment, the league will draw less negative publicity by letting this incident go than by punishing Bowen and generating more bad press. Kobe's unnatural striking motion drew much more media attention and that's why that was addressed.

On a side note, I imagine the old Knicks and Pistons teams of the late 80's used far more dirty tricks than these Spurs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05