DirecTV Sunday Ticket subscribers

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
no need for HD right now..... they gave me superfan for free though..... AWESOME!

OP
OP
Fiasco

Fiasco

Tyler Durden
Reaction score
anytimeuwnt said:
no need for HD right now..... they gave me superfan for free though..... AWESOME!

Isn't the superfan package 100 games broadcast in HD? Is there something else to the package other then HD?

Without HD, the superfan package is kind worthless isnt' it?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fiasco said:
Isn't the superfan package 100 games broadcast in HD? Is there something else to the package other then HD?
Doesn't the superfan come with some channels that split the screen to watch multiple games at once?

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Please Help - Need Cards in HD

Information overload; someone please clarify for me:

I'm a "preferred customer" of DirecTV, I'm an NFL Sunday Ticket subscriber which I'm considering dropping as I live in the Phoenix area now and the Card games are played locally.

Here's my issue and it really ticks me off; the Cardinal games are never broadcast locally in HD via satellite. Of course you could get them with an HD antenna, which I do have but because of how my house is situated I don't get a clear signal and haven't had any success with an HD antenna.

I called DirecTV last year about this and was told that the two satellites, one on the east and one on the west coast, were the only Fox satellites that supported HD as of yet and another satellite capable of transmitting HD would be launched soon.

So, how can I get the Cardinal games in HD via satellite in the Phoenix area? With this solution is there any reason to have Sunday Ticket if I could care less about the other games?

I'll glady by a couple of rounds of beer at any game you request for the person who solves my problem.

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
Redrob, call Direct TV again. The Phoenix locals went up on a satellite earlier this year. You will have to upgrade your equipment to a 5 lnb dish and a MPEG4 receiver to be able to get them.

I just called them to get my equipment upgraded from a 3 lnb dish and MPEG2 receiver so that I could get the locals (they are unavailable to me by antennae). I am getting the equipment upgrade (to a non-dvr H20) for free but was told I am not in the "spot beam" for Phoenix HD locals at the present time (I live near Bullhead City, Phoenix channels are my locals per DTV). I also got the superfan package for free (I love the short cut games...a whole game replayed commercial free in 30 minutes or less). :)

This number is customer retention: 1-800-824-9081

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
anytimeuwnt said:
Ditto. I didn't have to threaten. I just asked them if they could give equal treatment to one of their first subscribers.

RobbleRobble

Hope springs eternal
Reaction score
Got my free SuperFan today. It was kind of a drag though. The phone menu warns you that on Mondays they expereince their highest call volume. Took me about half an hour to get customer retention of the phone. They offered the SuperFan for free. As soon as I said, "yes, please make it so" I got a dial tone. I am guessing that I lost a cell signal, but who knows.

Had to call back on my drive home from work. Spent another half an hour on the phone, but once I got a live person, he gave me the Superfan package for free.

Always a pain deaing with customer service, but it will be worth it in the fall.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
RobbleRobble said:
Got my free SuperFan today. It was kind of a drag though. The phone menu warns you that on Mondays they expereince their highest call volume. Took me about half an hour to get customer retention of the phone. They offered the SuperFan for free. As soon as I said, "yes, please make it so" I got a dial tone. I am guessing that I lost a cell signal, but who knows.

Had to call back on my drive home from work. Spent another half an hour on the phone, but once I got a live person, he gave me the Superfan package for free.

Always a pain deaing with customer service, but it will be worth it in the fall.
I contacted them on their website. A day later, I got a call from a customer service rep who did some checking, set me up, thanked me and that was that.

RobbleRobble

Hope springs eternal
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
I contacted them on their website. A day later, I got a call from a customer service rep who did some checking, set me up, thanked me and that was that.

Word. That's a good tip. I don't need to spend any more time on hold with DirecTV. That "somebody up here loves you, Direc-TV" jingle gets pretty annoying when you've been on hold for thirty minutes.

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If you just call late in the evening, like around 10pm CDT, then you will get right through. They will be more willing to help because they aren't as busy.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, I just emailed Directv. I told them I'm getting a super offer from Comcast to cancel my satellite service (which is entirely true). Hopefully they'll pony something up. I know this area is notoriously bad for Directv subscriptions since the Eagles are always on and Comcast Cable owns the rest of the pro sports teams here. (No need for Directv if you are a local fan.) Will let you guys know what happens.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Question:

I have the two line standard dvr and want to take advantage of this deal. I havent called yet but I am not sure what I should be asking for? I dont have an HD tv but in the process of getting one. Can I use this HD dvr on a non hd set until I get mine? Any issues with that?

What is the difference between the H20 and hr10-250? What equipment should I get? I am a little confused on all this stuff..thanks for the info

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
Question:

I have the two line standard dvr and want to take advantage of this deal. I havent called yet but I am not sure what I should be asking for? I dont have an HD tv but in the process of getting one. Can I use this HD dvr on a non hd set until I get mine? Any issues with that?

What is the difference between the H20 and hr10-250? What equipment should I get? I am a little confused on all this stuff..thanks for the info

Ask your CSR to be sure, but I think the dvr will be ok for standard def channels until you get your high def set. You will probably have to start paying the monthly fee for High Def to get the dvr.

The H20 is a non-dvr HD receiver that is MPEG4 compatible. Direct TV has been switching over to MPEG4 technology (iirc it is a more compressed signal) on its new satellites; the local channels in High Def are on those satellites in many areas already. I have been told that I would not be able to get the local channels in high def off the satellites unless I had MPEG4 compatible equipment (at this time that would be a H20 and a 5 lnb dish). Direct TV is supposedly coming out with a MPEG4 compatible High Def DVR in early 2007.

The H10-250 is a HD MPEG2 unit; MPEG2 and MPEG4 are not compatible with each other. Accoriding to the CSR I spoke to I would not be able to get the locals in High Def off the satellite with the H10-250. In my case I opted for the H20 because I dont need/want a DVR, and I want to be ready for future programming which I believe will be largely MPEG4.

I think this DVR special might be going on to clear out the warehouses. One thing I noted about Direct TV...they will try to get rid of units that they know will soon be obsolete or upgraded. Case in point: They gave me an H10 and 3 lnb dish (MPEG2 stuff) in December in spite of the fact that they knew the Phoenix locals would be on the MPEG4 satellite in Spring 06. I wouldnt be afraid to get the H10-250 now...I'm sure DTV will have specials on the next upgrade.

Hope this helps (and I hope its right lol).

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Red Dawn said:
Ask your CSR to be sure, but I think the dvr will be ok for standard def channels until you get your high def set. You will probably have to start paying the monthly fee for High Def to get the dvr.

The H20 is a non-dvr HD receiver that is MPEG4 compatible. Direct TV has been switching over to MPEG4 technology (iirc it is a more compressed signal) on its new satellites; the local channels in High Def are on those satellites in many areas already. I have been told that I would not be able to get the local channels in high def off the satellites unless I had MPEG4 compatible equipment (at this time that would be a H20 and a 5 lnb dish). Direct TV is supposedly coming out with a MPEG4 compatible High Def DVR in early 2007.

The H10-250 is a HD MPEG2 unit; MPEG2 and MPEG4 are not compatible with each other. Accoriding to the CSR I spoke to I would not be able to get the locals in High Def off the satellite with the H10-250. In my case I opted for the H20 because I dont need/want a DVR, and I want to be ready for future programming which I believe will be largely MPEG4.

I think this DVR special might be going on to clear out the warehouses. One thing I noted about Direct TV...they will try to get rid of units that they know will soon be obsolete or upgraded. Case in point: They gave me an H10 and 3 lnb dish (MPEG2 stuff) in December in spite of the fact that they knew the Phoenix locals would be on the MPEG4 satellite in Spring 06. I wouldnt be afraid to get the H10-250 now...I'm sure DTV will have specials on the next upgrade.

great info! I will double check with csr...thanks again

Lloydian

Registered
Reaction score
They are not currently handing out their MPEG4 HD DVR. When you call for the deal spoken of here, it is a Tivo where you only get locals in HD with an external antenna. But, yes, it will hook up to your standard def TV just fine. HD pictures simply come in letterboxed.

One side benefit of going with this box: when they upgrade to the MPEG4 DVR, I suspect they'll swap out the equipment for you at no cost if you already have the Tivo, but if you don't have the Tivo, there could be some charge to upgrade.

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I hadn't asked for the upgrade yet; my HR-10-250 (HD DVR) crapped out on me today (receiver went capoot) so I killed two birds with one stone:

Free upgrade to the Superfan; plus DirecTV agreed to upgrade me to the new HR-20 (with mgeg 4) as soon as it's available for swap out (in a month or two).

Thanks for the help!

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I called and got the dvr and a year of service(dvr) for free. Plus they gave me all of the sports channels free for a year.

Twist18

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had the stuttering problem too? I will be on my 3rd box next week. I am still glad I got it tho.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Red Dawn said:

When I had Direct Tv installed in my home in Buckeye in June of this year, I had the 5 LNB antenna installed and I asked the installer to hook up my H10-250. He didn't want to do it and kept saying there was no way it would work. Guess what? We hooked it up and it works fine. The Tivo function works exactly like it did at my home in Tempe where I had the 3 LNB antenna. I had to install an open air antenna in the attic to get the local HD channels that aren't on the satellites yet, so I get all the local HD channel and aren't limited to only the ones on their satellite.

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
OK went to pay my directv bill today, and noticed that Sunday Ticket is now $209 for the year, I thought subscribers got their rate grandfathered in. Am I completely wrong here? I had the feeling I had been paying $169 for this in four installments for the past 4 years...

I haven't called yet to get the superfan and I'm not too interested in the HD tivo since I already have tivo and unfortunately do not have a high def set. Free tivo service for a year though would save me $120. Someone said they were offered that?

Lloydian

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, my, no. First, they increase the price regularly, and while returning subs get a break on the price, it will never lock in.

On the Tivo, no, they're giving the Tivo itself away, not the service. Some people are even getting the Sunday Ticket and/or Superfan for free, but that monthly DVR fee will not be going away. If you don't have a high def set, stick with what you have.

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
So do I just call up, ask for customer retention and say "gimme super fan because your giving to others" or do I have to play some game and act like I'm going to cancel and do the whole routine? I'd rather just be up front if that still works.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05