DirecTV Sunday Ticket subscribers

Alan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I just signed up for DirecTv at my new apartment. Standard Total Choice, normal two receivers, and I will eventually get the football package - assuming I don't work on Sunday's.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
bratwurst said:
So do I just call up, ask for customer retention and say "gimme super fan because your giving to others" or do I have to play some game and act like I'm going to cancel and do the whole routine? I'd rather just be up front if that still works.
I e-mailed them - saying: "You're giving the Super Fan incentive to prospective viewers or those viewers who threaten to cancel. What about us early loyal subscribers who aren't threatening to quit?

I got a phone call from DirecTV the following morning telling me they'd set me up at no extra charge.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I just called retentions and said I heard they had a promotion going for existing customers where they were giving away the HD DVR and the superfan package - the lady said that was true and that she would get me setup - no threats or anything like that

the actual promotion mailing I received offered an advanced receiver (one that shows stats and stuff), an HD DVR or 25 free pp movies

if you are not interested in the DVR, there are other options and they seem to be pretty accomdating

just let them know you know they are running this promotion and since you do not want the HD DVR you are looking for something of equitable value

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys - I'll give it a try. Jeff do you happen to have the email address handy that you used?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Fiasco

Fiasco

Tyler Durden
Reaction score
I gotta say, I love the 30 minute shortcuts that the superfan package gives you.

That is just f'n awesome. I have got to watch (easily) twice as many games.

MrY

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I just got DirectV and I am pretty much a complete novice at this sort of thing. I thought I did as much research beforehand as I could to somewhat educate myself.

The only real thing I am not happy with so far is I didn't sign up for superfan and so I don't get the games in HD. That never occured to me to ask and noone offered to tell me about it either. I just assumed I got the games in HD because I got the HD package and HD DVR. Oh well, live and learn

OP
OP
Fiasco

Fiasco

Tyler Durden
Reaction score
MrY said:
I just got DirectV and I am pretty much a complete novice at this sort of thing. I thought I did as much research beforehand as I could to somewhat educate myself.

The only real thing I am not happy with so far is I didn't sign up for superfan and so I don't get the games in HD. That never occured to me to ask and noone offered to tell me about it either. I just assumed I got the games in HD because I got the HD package and HD DVR. Oh well, live and learn

Live and learn my ass! Call them up and tell them you want superfan. I was a new subscriber this year and they gave me superfan for free. I had to pay for the HD Tivo though whereas existing DTV subscribers didn't. But, they did throw in free programming for 4 months to offset the cost of the Tivo.

bratwurst

Reaction score
wow that sucks - why don't they just run the replay short cut thing all week? its just dead black on all the 700 channels now until Saturday. What a waste. I didn't get a chance to watch until tonight.

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
bratwurst said:
wow that sucks - why don't they just run the replay short cut thing all week? its just dead black on all the 700 channels now until Saturday. What a waste. I didn't get a chance to watch until tonight.

Yeah, that's a pretty stupid policy. Luckily, I have a DVR, so I just set it to record the Short Cuts I want to see. Unluckily, I forgot to set certain games. Also, Short Cuts only applies to Sunday Ticket games. So no Sunday Night or Monday Night games.

bratwurst

Reaction score
Yes I have a Tivo too, but I hadn't set it to record any of the short cut games. Live and learn...

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
gusmahler said:
Luckily, I have a DVR, so I just set it to record the Short Cuts I want to see. Unluckily, I forgot to set certain games.
I did a search by keyword: Cardinals and must have pushed the right buttons.

In addition to all StL and AZ Cardinal games, I automatically have waiting for me each Monday morning (a) Cardinal shortcuts and (b) shortcut for our next weeks' opponent. (You really can get a sense of an opposing team's playing style when you watch their games rapid-fire - with the Rams, I couldn't get the image out of my mind of Steven Jackson sand-blasting his way into the Niner D-line over and over again.

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
I did a search by keyword: Cardinals and must have pushed the right buttons.

In addition to all StL and AZ Cardinal games, I automatically have waiting for me each Monday morning (a) Cardinal shortcuts and (b) shortcut for our next weeks' opponent. (You really can get a sense of an opposing team's playing style when you watch their games rapid-fire - with the Rams, I couldn't get the image out of my mind of Steven Jackson sand-blasting his way into the Niner D-line over and over again.

I did a keyword search for Cardinals and football and it records all Cardinal Short Cuts. For some reason, it all records all Rams Short Cuts.

The Short Cut I wish I recorded was the Falcons. I want to see the option offense people are talking about.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Scott MS said:
DirecTV had a number of offers in the last year where you could get the HD Tivo for $250 with a 2 year committment.

By the way, they are coming out with a new HD Tivo which supports the new MPEG-4 standard so they are probably willing to get rid of the old ones. Having Tivo also nets them $6 per month per Tivo so they there is a revenue stream there.

Direct has recently released its new HR-20 High Def receiver with their answer to Tivo. You do not buy them you lease them for either $299 or $399 for as long as you subscribe to Direct then you send it back. A really cool piece of equipment. Requires the new 5 LNB antenea which comes with it and free installation even on upgrades. Best Buy told me yesterday that all they have coming in are pre sold. I do not know what the wait period is if any if you get it from Direct but with Direct you do get the free 5 LNB Dish and free install. 200 hours of recording in regular definition and ? in HD. You can receive local HD if you have it in your area and will receive some new channels with some new birds that will be launched.

OP
OP
Fiasco

Fiasco

Tyler Durden
Reaction score
Yea, but can you take it apart and throw two 500 gig hard drives in it, block the stupid advert promos that they force on you (waste space), disable encrypted recording, and enable the USB port so you can dump off to your computer?

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
I would love to see Direct TV/NFL sell the Shortcuts version of a teams whole season on DVD. That would be great, 16 Card games in 8 hours or less. I'd buy it!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got my HR-10 (15?) Tivo/DTV reciever hooked up and running yesterday.

I knew I wouldn't beable to get locals in HD without an off-air antenea, but I couldn't get that to work. I noticed in the mid-80's channell line-up that there were "ABCW" and such that were broadcasting HD programming, so I called this morning to see how I might get them.

Those channells are for people who can't get over the air reception because of where they live--so I'm not allowed to get them. Fair enough.

So I asked the lady if she had any tips for getting the antennea to work. She let's let's see what we can do for you (which is always a good thing to hear from a woman with a pretty southern drawl). She set up an upgrade to the newest HD DVR receiver that they have and the new dish for $99. (My installer told me that these things were CRAZY expensive--even to lease).

I'm cool with that.

Anyone want to by my HR-15 Tivo DTV receiver? It's got a larger hard drive than most (modified)

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I just got my HR-10 (15?) Tivo/DTV reciever hooked up and running yesterday.

I knew I wouldn't beable to get locals in HD without an off-air antenea, but I couldn't get that to work. I noticed in the mid-80's channell line-up that there were "ABCW" and such that were broadcasting HD programming, so I called this morning to see how I might get them.

Those channells are for people who can't get over the air reception because of where they live--so I'm not allowed to get them. Fair enough.

So I asked the lady if she had any tips for getting the antennea to work. She let's let's see what we can do for you (which is always a good thing to hear from a woman with a pretty southern drawl). She set up an upgrade to the newest HD DVR receiver that they have and the new dish for $99. (My installer told me that these things were CRAZY expensive--even to lease).

I'm cool with that.

Anyone want to by my HR-15 Tivo DTV receiver? It's got a larger hard drive than most (modified)
How much are you askin?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
azsouthendzone said:
How much are you askin?
I paid $300 for it a couple of months ago, and if I put it back on ebay, that's probably what I'd try to get...but for ASFNers? How's $200 and I'll ship it?

efferman

Veteran
Reaction score
OK, I called the regular 800 number and said that I heard about the program to reward long-time customers with free superfan and a HD DVR. Got switched to a lady in customer service who gave me the new HR-20 DVR w/fake tivo and the 5 lnb(?) Dish for free as well as free superfan. Pretty easy process (although lengthy) and seems like a good deal. I also made a 2 year commitment.

Lloydian

Registered
Reaction score
No wonder I couldn't find the thread at the Arizona HDTV Forums. I had seen it here!

I, too, called DirecTV. They are upgrading my HD-Tivo to the new unit and installing the five LNB dish for the unbeatable price of $0.00.

At first, they quoted me a price of $99, but at the end of the call, they said that since I've been a loyal customer for over six years, they were waiving that charge as well.

efferman, were you already subscribed to NFLST?

Lloydian

Registered
Reaction score
bratwurst: Call them. They may give you a credit. You already had the HD-Tivo and upgraded to the HR20?

bratwurst

Reaction score
No I have 2 regular old school Philips directivos. They're good enough for me because I don't have an HDTV <crying>

Still though, I wanted the HDTivo so if I upgrade, its one less thing I have to buy later.

Edit---

I forgot to add the important thing here... Basically when I called they said they weren't giving the hd tivos anymore, because the promo was over and just gave me super fan and some movie channels for free.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05