Do you feel comfortable with Pace & Okeafor at OLB/DE next season?

CorporalCardinal

Look! A Cards fan in Iraq
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he was trying to protect our secondary. It really is that bad.

Here's the problem for me, we were doing solid in the first half at holding them in check, then we shifted to this cushion D and we got to the point where we should have lost. Now, naturally I was just as mad at the offense (how the heck do you have 0 yards of total offense in the fourth quarter till your game-tying drive?)

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah...Clancy seems to love that 15 yard cushion defense that just gets us killed game after game. It still baffles me.

Every defense runs that coverage. I was watching the Colts game, and their corners were backing off, too. It's the design of the offense. Tons of teams run that three- or four-deep look. This team runs a lot of zone defenses. Mostly because the corners can't match up with anybody one-on-one.

A better pass rush will make the corners and safeties look better. I'm happy with Okeafor and Pace, but we need to add some youth. I think that Blackstock makes a fine 4th option, but hopefully we can get a young stud in the draft.

seesred

Reaction score
Just as a matter of fact, in Sundays game Pace was the best defesive player on the field. 1 sack, 2 on top of the QB and 11 stops/

GBR

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whisenhunt has already said he's making no changes in his coaching staff. I like it.

So whine about Pendergast if you wish but it's wasted angst.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whisenhunt has already said he's making no changes in his coaching staff. I like it.

what do you like about keeping part of a staff that has failed for four years? A guy, who's defenses give up 24+ points per game and can rarely get a big stop at the end of games? What do you like about keeping continuity from a bygone failed era?

Good thing the negative posters are continually attacked as whiners, or diseased, or vultures or alleged fans and the like... but it's the negativity that really brings this place down, right Skkorp? Good lord. As to the "wasted angst", isn't EVERYTHING we do here wasted considering none of us have any bearing on what happens with this team?

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I'm not comfortable at all with the LB group. I would definitely use the 1st Pick on a DE/OLB, such as Gholston, Groves, Harvey. As another choice in the first round, I would look at Kenny Philips, since FS is a sore spot on this team. In the 2nd round I would then pick a cover corner like, Dominique Rogers, Dight Lowery, or Zack Bowmen. Chris Elis could an option in the second if they decide to take a coner in the first.

Pressure on th QB is the utmost importance to the 2008 Cardinals and a cover corner is about the same importance. I would like the Cards to sign Drayton Florence as a free agent and take another corner in the 2nd round of the draft.

Draft for need? Sounds like splendid idea!

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what do you like about keeping part of a staff that has failed for four years? A guy, who's defenses give up 24+ points per game and can rarely get a big stop at the end of games? What do you like about keeping continuity from a bygone failed era?

Good thing the negative posters are continually attacked as whiners, or diseased, or vultures or alleged fans and the like... but it's the negativity that really brings this place down, right Skkorp? Good lord. As to the "wasted angst", isn't EVERYTHING we do here wasted considering none of us have any bearing on what happens with this team?

Jeez Cheese, why do you take every thing so personally. Skkorp didn't point a finger at you or anyone else. It's a general statement of fact according to the Wiz.

BTW, I agree with Skkorp. I don't want any changes in this staff either. Our defense was doing great until all the injuries hit it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, I agree with Skkorp. I don't want any changes in this staff either. Our defense was doing great until all the injuries hit it.

was doing great before injuries hit it? It gave up 20 points and a game winning 90 yard drive against one of the worst offenses in the league in Game 1. It gave up 26 points to a woeful Ravens offense in week 3. It gave up 31 points to a woeful Rams offense in week 5 and then it gave up 400 yards and 25 points to an absolutely pathetic three day fresh off the couch Vinny Testaverde led squad in week 6. That's 4 of 6 weeks they were decidedly bad before injuries set in. That's great to you 40?

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
was doing great before injuries hit it? It gave up 20 points and a game winning 90 yard drive against one of the worst offenses in the league in Game 1. It gave up 26 points to a woeful Ravens offense in week 3. It gave up 31 points to a woeful Rams offense in week 5 and then it gave up 400 yards and 25 points to an absolutely pathetic three day fresh off the couch Vinny Testaverde led squad in week 6. That's 4 of 6 weeks they were decidedly bad before injuries set in. That's great to you 40?

Where we not in the top 10 in defense in both pass and run defense around week #5 or so? I do remember us being in that position though I'm not sure when it was and I remember even you giving kudos to the defense as being better than you thought they could be.

Injuries have hurt this team, especially since Wilson got injured and tried to play through it. Then when Green went down along with the fact of both Berry and Okeafor being out, it wasn't the same team anymore. I do believe this will be a strong defense next year with the addition of only one or two more players.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Oh God. Really? If that's so, then I have to start questioning Whiz's decision making abilities. Or, of course, wonder about the old stand by of the owner not allowing him to get rid of certain guys. I was mad that Pendy was kept on through this season; after seeing the same crap shovelled at us on defense, an insane monkey can see how bad our defensive playcalling has been.

Not that you're an insane monkey, of course :)

By the way, to you and others...MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Where we not in the top 10 in defense in both pass and run defense around week #5 or so? I do remember us being in that position though I'm not sure when it was and I remember even you giving kudos to the defense as being better than you thought they could be.

Injuries have hurt this team, especially since Wilson got injured and tried to play through it. Then when Green went down along with the fact of both Berry and Okeafor being out, it wasn't the same team anymore. I do believe this will be a strong defense next year with the addition of only one or two more players.

It was 9th in yards at Week 7 or 8. But considering yards dont mean anything and scoring is the real test we have been ranked in the bottom half of the league the whole season. Also a 9th ranking is very misleading considering the games Cheese mentioned during the first 6 weeks of the season. The D did not play well the first 4 out of 6 games of the season no matter what rankings we can find.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

If it is the same article that I read on the main site I don't think that is exactly what Wiz was stating. I believe he stated that most of his assistants were under contract and he does not see any changes on those guys that are under contract. They were specifically talking about guys under contract and made note of it. I don't recall him making any comments concerning coaches that will not be under contract and to my knowledge Clancys contract ends this season.

Since I dont know where I can find that article on the main site again i could be wrong but that was what I remember it reading like.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it is the same article that I read on the main site I don't think that is exactly what Wiz was stating. I believe he stated that most of his assistants were under contract and he does not see any changes on those guys that are under contract. They were specifically talking about guys under contract and made note of it. I don't recall him making any comments concerning coaches that will not be under contract and to my knowledge Clancys contract ends this season.

Since I dont know where I can find that article on the main site again i could be wrong but that was what I remember it reading like.

Interesting. I've read things wrong before and will probably do so again.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
This is also a very deep draft for DE/OLB type players.Here's alist of the top 10 DE's:
1-Chris Long-no chnace we get him
2-Vernon Gholston-been on this guy all year.Too bad he played himself out of our range.
3-Derrick Harvey-erratic
4-Calais Campbell-don't think he fits the Cards 3-4 style
5-Quentin Groves-could easily be our pick.Played bothe DE and OLB for Auburn.Probably the last of the 1st round DE's.
6-Lawrence Jackson-lack of productivity is a concern
7-Tyson Jackson-Has alot of talent,acceptable round 2 pick
8-Darrel Robertson-can't say i know a thing about him
9-Chris Ellis-i like this guy.Vtech guys usually play fast.
10-Tommy Blake-kind of no-showed this year but has alot of talent.

the top 10 OLB's are:
1-Dan Connor- tackling machine at PSU. For some reason, i think he's going to be our pick.Seems like a Whiz type of player.
2-Keith Rivers-would love for him to be our pick.Prototype OLB.
3-Ali Highsmith- don't like him that much.Probably too small for a 3-4 OLB.
4-Xavier Adibi-great playmaker but also on the small side
5-Shawn Crable- really stepped up his play this year. Ideal size. Would love for him to be there in round 3 but very doubtful. Would probably fare better than last year's 3rd rounder :D.
6-Marcus Freeman-if he declares,likely, he will probably climb the charts. Makes alot of tackles.Solid but not spectacular. Will be available in round 3.
7-Ezra Butler-all i know about him is that he makes alot of tackles.
8-Beau Bell-numbers look more like an ILB. 6'2,245, 4.75
9-Bruce Davis-all you Pac 10 gus can help me here because i don't know a thing about him.
10-Jordan Dixon-judging by Colorado's defense,i don't think i want anybody from them.

So it looks like w'll can get a very good player in either,or both, round 1 and 2. I doubt we take this type of player in both rounds but we'll fill one need early in the draft.

Twist18

Registered
Reaction score
This is also a very deep draft for DE/OLB type players.Here's alist of the top 10 DE's:
1-Chris Long-no chnace we get him
2-Vernon Gholston-been on this guy all year.Too bad he played himself out of our range.
3-Derrick Harvey-erratic
4-Calais Campbell-don't think he fits the Cards 3-4 style
5-Quentin Groves-could easily be our pick.Played bothe DE and OLB for Auburn.Probably the last of the 1st round DE's.
6-Lawrence Jackson-lack of productivity is a concern
7-Tyson Jackson-Has alot of talent,acceptable round 2 pick
8-Darrel Robertson-can't say i know a thing about him
9-Chris Ellis-i like this guy.Vtech guys usually play fast.
10-Tommy Blake-kind of no-showed this year but has alot of talent.

the top 10 OLB's are:
1-Dan Connor- tackling machine at PSU. For some reason, i think he's going to be our pick.Seems like a Whiz type of player.
2-Keith Rivers-would love for him to be our pick.Prototype OLB.
3-Ali Highsmith- don't like him that much.Probably too small for a 3-4 OLB.
4-Xavier Adibi-great playmaker but also on the small side
5-Shawn Crable- really stepped up his play this year. Ideal size. Would love for him to be there in round 3 but very doubtful. Would probably fare better than last year's 3rd rounder :D.
6-Marcus Freeman-if he declares,likely, he will probably climb the charts. Makes alot of tackles.Solid but not spectacular. Will be available in round 3.
7-Ezra Butler-all i know about him is that he makes alot of tackles.
8-Beau Bell-numbers look more like an ILB. 6'2,245, 4.75
9-Bruce Davis-all you Pac 10 gus can help me here because i don't know a thing about him.
10-Jordan Dixon-judging by Colorado's defense,i don't think i want anybody from them.

So it looks like w'll can get a very good player in either,or both, round 1 and 2. I doubt we take this type of player in both rounds but we'll fill one need early in the draft.

I am a huge Groves fan. People say he had a down year but he was playing a traditional OLB position because of a young stud needing a spot and injuries. Groves has the experience in a 4-3 and 3-4 and can be a difference maker.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Pace is very handy to have, he can rush and he's not the liability as a LB'er that I thought he'd be, in fact his value goes up pretty dramtically when AW is in the game since it's another avenue to change up the pass rush.

The 3/4 we play requires more pass rush comming from your LBer and in our system our safety spot.

We had a ton of injuries, if you had Green in there, Rolle and AW at saftey, then you'd find that we could unleash a much much better defense and pass rush, in fact it would go from bad to top 10 in terms of defense just with Green and AW back.

I think you just continue to draft quality players on defense and it will do nothing but improve.

Dansby is key and I'd keep Pace if he dosen't want something ridiculous to stay.

We need better CB's mostly.

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

That's what I thought, too. But then I saw something (maybe in the newspaper?) that said that Clancy Pendergast is believed to be under contract for two more seasons.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
That's what I thought, too. But then I saw something (maybe in the newspaper?) that said that Clancy Pendergast is believed to be under contract for two more seasons.

Yeah that was either in the Republic or the EVT.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Calvin Pace will be here if he doesn't price himself out of here. I'm not as high on him as many of you and I think his level of play has really fallen off the last few games.

Why not? I dont think anyone is calling him superman but I think he has been great in his role, this last 11 tackle 1 sack performance solidifies that. He is no superstar but he has seemed to do his job all season and if everyone could at least just do theyr job, we would win more games. I keep him unless he wants more money than guys who ARE superstars.

Options now are blackstock, tafoya or berry, ill pass on all 3.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Cards have to keep Clancy. I believe that was part of the deal when his family sold land to the Bidwill's for the stadium. Once the land is paid off the Cards can let Clancy go :D.