Do you have confidence with Babby and the 2013 draft?

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Short answer, "No"

Our front office hasn't done that well on draft day even before Blanks and Babby:

2000 NBA Draft, June 28
Player Team Round Pick Iakovos Tsakalidis AEK (Greece) 1 25

Return to Top

2001 NBA Draft, June 27
Player College Round Pick Alton Ford Houston 2 51

Return to Top

2002 NBA Draft, June 26
Player College Round Pick Amaré Stoudemire Cypress Creek (Fla.) High School 1 9 Casey Jacobsen Stanford 1 22

Return to Top

2003 NBA Draft, June 26
Player Team Round Pick Zarko Cabarkapa Buducnost (Serbia) 1 17
Aquired the draft rights ot Brazilian point guard Leandro Barbosa (28th pick overall) from San Antonio for a future protected first round pick.

Return to Top

2004 NBA Draft, July 12
Player College Round Pick Luol Deng* Duke 1 7

* Traded to Chicago for rights to Jackson Vroman, cash and a future first round pick.

Return to Top

2005 NBA Draft, June 28
Player College Round Pick Nate Robinson* Washington 1 21 Marcin Gortat Poland 2 57

* Traded to New York with Quentin Richardson and future considerations for Kurt Thomas and the draft rights to Dijon Thompson

Return to Top

2006 NBA Draft, June 28
Player College Round Pick Rajon Rondo* Kentucky 1 21 Sergio Rodríguez ** Spain 1 27 * to Boston Celtics via Los Angeles Lakers
** to Portland Trail Blazers

Return to Top

2007 NBA Draft, June 28

Player College Round Pick Rudy Fernandez* Spain 1 24 Alando Tucker Wisconsin 1 27 D.J. Strawberry Maryland 2 59 * to Portland Trail Blazers

Return to Top

2008 NBA Draft, June 26

Player College Round Pick Robin Lopez Stanford 1 15 Malik Hairston* Oregon 2 48 * to San Antonio

Return to Top

2009 NBA Draft, June 25

Player College Round Pick Earl Clark Louisville 1 14 Taylor Griffin Oklahoma 2 48

Return to Top

2010 NBA Draft, June 24

Player College Round Pick Gani Lawal Georgia Tech 2 46 Dwayne Collins Miami 2 60

Return to Top

2011 NBA Draft, June 23

Player College Round Pick Markieff Morris Kansas 1 13

Return to Top

2012 NBA Draft, June 28

Player College Round Pick Kendall Marshall North Carolina 1 13

http://www.nba.com/suns/history/draft_history.html

Of course, you can go back even longer and find picks like Nash, Marion, Ceballos, Majerle...

But overall, not a real pretty picture

Phranklin

Reaction score
I just cant take anyone seriously who would suggest something like that. Not only are the Suns screwing themselves in terms of trade value, but that those 2 guys can help us get to a title "now".

How is Afflalo not good enough for a championship team? He's rumored to have quite the defensive repertoire you know.

Phranklin

Reaction score
What am I missing here? Doesn't seem a bit like trolling to me - compared to many posts by armchair GMs its quite sensible, in fact. I wouldn't say I agree but it bears some thought.

You are quite the generous gentleman Errntknght. I do, however, wish you would come up with a handle that's easier to remember and spell. I felt like a dog with my head out the window writing that out.

How did you come up with it?

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He is not a troll by definition, but he writes in some kind of Monthy Python-style which is quite entertaining especially without the fake trade proposals.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are quite the generous gentleman Errntknght. I do, however, wish you would come up with a handle that's easier to remember and spell. I felt like a dog with my head out the window writing that out.

How did you come up with it?

I've known errantknight (internet "known") for maybe a decade and a half and he's used that name on several sites. I've always assumed it was just a reworking of the Knight Errant character/concept from the Age of Chivalry or whatever it's called. Why it would make you feel like a dog with your head out the window is beyond me - I might be more inclined to blame that on the Snausages you had for lunch.

Steve

Errntknght

Reaction score
You have it basically right though the word errant has two different meaning - to travel, wander, rove and to err. The root Anglo-French word 'errer' had the same two meanings. I always liked the bit of ambiguity...

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
He is not a troll by definition, but he writes in some kind of Monthy Python-style which is quite entertaining especially without the fake trade proposals.

I guess. I've lost patience with it now. I wonder if it's a coincidence that he showed up right when I called out wagon mound, who of course has now disappeared.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Did Phrazbit really just call someone out for "obvious trolling?"

Pot meet kettle. That's hysterical :biglaugh:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
BTW, I've had visions of Shabazz Muhammed in Purple and Orange recently. I'm counting on landing the first pick in the draft next year (time for a Phoenix franchise not named the Mercury to finally get one). If not, we're screwed.

Neither Blanks nor Babby could screw that up, right?

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
Get some ppl from the Spurs staff to help you out. Most other teams have done it.

chickenhead

Reaction score
The idea that the Suns can get a high enough pick that it's "mistake-proof" is what terrifies me the most. Visions of Sam Bowie...(not that I'm saying there's a Jordan in this draft).

But it's hard to say much until we know where the picks land and the draft class is established. At that point there's enough research available to just about everyone to HOPEFULLY make a good top choice.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is so not fair, you beat me to it. :D

If life was fair, Netflix would be getting ready to add the 11th season of Firefly to their instant streaming queue. The Suns would have 7 NBA championships to remember fondly during this time of despair. And tacos would be a health food.

Steve

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Get some ppl from the Spurs staff to help you out. Most other teams have done it.

Most of them are terrible. Presti is the only one the Spurs FO really talked up before and after he left. The rest were just cogs in the machine getting collateral credit and are exposed once they leave.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
Most of them are terrible. Presti is the only one the Spurs FO really talked up before and after he left. The rest were just cogs in the machine getting collateral credit and are exposed once they leave.

I basically agree. The current staff, with RC Buford and shooting coach Chip Engelland among others, seem to be special though.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did Phrazbit really just call someone out for "obvious trolling?"

Pot meet kettle. That's hysterical :biglaugh:

Riiiiiiight. What you called "trolling" a while back turned out to just be ahead of the curve.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Riiiiiiight. What you called "trolling" a while back turned out to just be ahead of the curve.

The thing is we got your point the first five times you posted about it. Then you felt the need to post another fifty about it.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The thing is we got your point the first five times you posted about it. Then you felt the need to post another fifty about it.

I actually think TJ was probably referring to my dislike of the Kevin Kolb trade... I had the gall to "troll" and say things like Kolb is an injury prone backup quality player.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Don't understand what the big problem with the Blanks record is.

Other than giving up a late first round pick to bring in Brooks.
Without the lockout and his move to China that might have had a different outcome.

Some people don't like Marshall but that grade is still INC.
For the Morris pick I would give a C+ so far.

Lance Blanks Era begins October 2010.
December 18, 2010
Traded Earl Clark, Jason Richardson and Hedo Turkoglu to the Orlando Magic for Vince Carter, Marcin Gortat, Mickael Pietrus, cash and a 2011 1st round draft pick (Nikola Mirotic).
December 21, 2010
Waived Earl Barron.
January 9, 2011
Signed Zabian Dowdell to two 10-day contracts, then signed to a contract for the rest of the season.
February 24, 2011
Traded Goran Dragic and a 2011 1st round draft pick (Nikola Mirotic) to the Houston Rockets for Aaron Brooks.
June 23, 2011
Drafted Markieff Morris in the 1st round (13th pick) of the 2011 NBA Draft.
December 9, 2011
Waived Vince Carter.
Waived Gani Lawal.
Signed Sebastian Telfair as a free agent.
Signed Shannon Brown as a free agent.
December 13, 2011
Signed Ronnie Price as a free agent.
Signed Marcus Landry as a free agent.
Waived Zabian Dowdell.
December 22, 2011
Waived Mickael Pietrus.
December 23, 2011
Waived Marcus Landry.
December 29, 2011
Signed Michael Redd as a free agent.
January 3, 2012
Waived Garret Siler.
June 28, 2012
Drafted Kendall Marshall in the 1st round (13th pick) of the 2012 NBA Draft.
July 11, 2012
Traded Steve Nash to the Los Angeles Lakers for a 2013 1st round draft pick, a 2013 2nd round draft pick, a 2014 2nd round draft pick and a 2015 1st round draft pick.
July 15, 2012
Signed Luis Scola as a free agent.
July 19, 2012
Signed Goran Dragic as a free agent.
July 20, 2012
Signed Michael Beasley as a free agent.
July 27, 2012
As part of a 3-team trade, the Phoenix Suns traded Robin Lopez, Hakim Warrick and cash to the New Orleans Hornets; the Minnesota Timberwolves traded Wesley Johnson and a future 1st round draft pick to the Phoenix Suns; the New Orleans Hornets traded a future 2nd round draft pick, a future 2nd round draft pick and a future 2nd round draft pick to the Minnesota Timberwolves; and the New Orleans Hornets traded Jerome Dyson and Brad Miller to the Phoenix Suns.
August 1, 2012
Signed P.J. Tucker as a free agent.
August 15, 2012
Signed Jermaine O'Neal as a free agent.
Waived Jerome Dyson.
Waived Brad Miller.
October 1, 2012
Signed Othyus Jeffers as a free agent.
Signed Ike Diogu as a free agent.
Signed Solomon Jones as a free agent.
Signed Luke Zeller as a free agent.
Signed Diante Garrett as a free agent.
October 24, 2012
Waived Ike Diogu.
Waived Solomon Jones.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't understand what the big problem with the Blanks record is.

Other than giving up a late first round pick to bring in Brooks.
Without the lockout and his move to China that might have had a different outcome.

Some people don't like Marshall but that grade is still INC.
For the Morris pick I would give a C+ so far.

Good: Gortat trade, Dragic signing, Scola aquisition, Nash trade (could be a lucky break), Tucker signing, and maybe the Lopez trade.

Bad: Dragic/Brooks trade, Marshall draft, Beasley signing

The rest is mediocre. But even the good stuff is only marginally good. There is nothing spectacular there.

Last edited:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Good: Gortat trade, Dragic signing, Scola aquisition, Nash trade (could be a lucky break), Tucker signing, and maybe the Lopez trade.

Bad: Dragic/Brooks trade, Marshall draft, Beasley signing

The rest is mediocre. But even the good stuff is only marginally good. There is nothing spectacular there.

Babby has done a phenomenal job getting us out of those terrible contracts Sarver gave out. The only mistake was Dragic for Brooks trade. Marshall signing is still way to early to judge.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dont see a problem? 3 years in and we have the worst roster in the conference... the team appears to have no direction and no plan. The continue to do nothing but amass mediocre role players, a course that only leads to long term failure.

The only good move we have made under this regime was the Gortat trade, everything else has either been treading water or trash.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Dont see a problem? 3 years in and we have the worst roster in the conference... the team appears to have no direction and no plan. The continue to do nothing but amass mediocre role players, a course that only leads to long term failure.

The only good move we have made under this regime was the Gortat trade, everything else has either been treading water or trash.

They needed to rebuild and they are in the process of doing that. They probably waited too long to start but I think the GM has done a pretty good job considering what they had when he started.

Getting 4 picks for a FA they were not going to re-sign not a good move?

Trading (essentially) Lopez for a pick and Warrick for a low cost prospect not a good move?

Signing Tucker, O'Neal, and Dragic not a good moves? They had to fill the roster somehow.
Claiming Scola not a good move?

I know people are down on Beasley but I don't think the experiment is over yet and his contract is not horrible.

I think some people are being hysterical with their complaints.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05