Do you like Manning?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If so, then this weekend he gets the ultimate test. Ol Miss plays LSU in Oxford. LSU has, IMO, the top defense in the nation...worst case they would be #2 behind OU. This will be a major test for Eli.

I like the idea of grabbing Manning although I still prefer Chris Gamble and then hoping to get Rivers later. Rivers may not be as good as Eli but IMO he will have a very good career in the NFL

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
If so, then this weekend he gets the ultimate test. Ol Miss plays LSU in Oxford. LSU has, IMO, the top defense in the nation...worst case they would be #2 behind OU. This will be a major test for Eli.

I like the idea of grabbing Manning although I still prefer Chris Gamble and then hoping to get Rivers later. Rivers may not be as good as Eli but IMO he will have a very good career in the NFL

Of course I totally agree with you on Rivers.

He reminds me of a Phil Simms-type, that can manage games, not make too many mistakes, and ultimately win.

If we were to draft:

1) Chris Gamble
2) Rod Davis (? MLB from S. Miss.)
3) Philip Rivers

I would be ecstatic. :thumbup:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm really looking forward to watching this game so I can check out Manning again, see if he can change my opinion.

Also really like Clayton the WR from LSU.

LSU also has Marcus Spears one of the more intriguing DE prospects in the country, 6'4" 295, heavily recruited as both a DE and a TE. The scouts love him but say he needs more time in the weight room to get stronger. There was a huge recruiting controversy over him a few years back he's one of those amazing athletes, was a division 1 PF prospect in basketball too. He would be a pick like Dennis Johnson if he came out this year, get him in round 2 or 3 and hope he turns out to be a steal, if he stays in school he may be a first rounder the next year.

Mrospi

Reaction score
At this point, I don't see J McCown being anything more than a back up. So, you take the Best QB in the draft. I believe that is Manning, I believe the thought in the Manning family is that he is the most talented among them, if that is the case it's a no-brainer. You take him and start him from day one.... that is how Peyton started as I believe, there will be some growing pains but based on our past couple years I would rather just turn the team over to him and see what our young players can do. That gives us a young core to build around on the offense.... Manning, Shipp, Boldin, B Johnson.... and then in the 2nd round I draft the best WR still on the board.... all defense after that...assuming a good choice at WR.... that should put together a group that teams will have a hard time matching.... after that sign as many top defensive free agents you can... especially a pass rusher & CB.... rather address these in free agency

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of rookie QBs. McMahon and Couch are probably going to hit the free market, I'd rather get one of them in here. Their careers are just starting, and they've already had a few years under their belts to make mistakes.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to the Old Miss-LSU game more than any other this weekend. In my mind, the Michigan-Ohio St game doesn't even match up, although I know it's more important nationally.

Not only should we watch Manning, we should watch LSU. The defense, especially, is loaded with NFL players.

As for Rivers, he's been getting some knocks, but I bet he's a late first rounder, early second by the time the draft comes around. All he needs is just decent workouts for the scouts. As a QB, he'll enjoy a big boost in draft position. Ramsey and Brees were early second round picks, Rivers fits right in with those two as far as prospects go.

Mrospi

Reaction score
Just a thought, but let's say Eli is adjusting to the NFL??? hmmmm where can he go for advice and help.... Archie & Peyton.... if he prepares anything like Peyton.... take him....Couch & McMahon.... no thanks... only as back ups for depth

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Oran
I don't like the idea of rookie QBs. McMahon and Couch are probably going to hit the free market, I'd rather get one of them in here. Their careers are just starting, and they've already had a few years under their belts to make mistakes.

Couch has talent but he's way too emotional, you can't be that impacted by fans booing and play QB in the NFL. Mcmahon is a safety playing QB, had he gone to Stanford he'd have been the next QB they moved to safety.

All QB's have to be rookies sometime.

Someone said Manning is considered the best in his family, best ATHLETE yes, best arm no. Peyton was much higher regarded coming out of HS the knock on Eli was too skinny and not a great arm. He's filled out and has more arm strength than he did, but the thing with him is he's much more mobile than Peyton. And he's far less Anal, he won't stand there at the line audibling and fake audibling until you want to scream at the tv "snap the damn ball."

The best game I've seen him play was the Auburn game 2 weeks ago, against a talented team he played really well, LSU is a really good test as Cubbie said they have a VERY good defense.

Jim O

Reaction score
Re: Re: Do you like Manning?

Originally posted by Krangthebrain
Of course I totally agree with you on Rivers.

I heard Lewis and Jurecki saying that Rivers has a funky release and that scouts will most likely shy away from taking him early.

I really don't have time to watch much college football but that is what they were talking about today.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I'm going to try and watch Manning this weekend if i'm not too drunk from the Ohio State victory early in the day.For all the draft people, the OSU game would be great game to watch their defense.They have 5 guys starting on that defense that will most likely be drafted in the first 2 rounds and all of them are at need positons for the Cards.Will Smith,Darrion SCott,and Tim Anderson on the DL and Chris Gamble and Will Allen in the secondary.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I disagree on one point...I think Oklahoma DEFINITELY has the best D in the land!

Mrospi

Reaction score
Hey, I just figured out... we can't draft Eli Manning... he wears #10 and everyone knows that is our Pro-bowler Scott Player:rolleyes:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cbus cardsfan
I'm going to try and watch Manning this weekend if i'm not too drunk from the Ohio State victory early in the day.For all the draft people, the OSU game would be great game to watch their defense.They have 5 guys starting on that defense that will most likely be drafted in the first 2 rounds and all of them are at need positons for the Cards.Will Smith,Darrion SCott,and Tim Anderson on the DL and Chris Gamble and Will Allen in the secondary.

Oh, I already got a healthy dose of OSU when NC State, led by my guy Philip Rivers, almost beat them. :D

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Do you like Manning?

Originally posted by Jim Omohundro
I heard Lewis and Jurecki saying that Rivers has a funky release and that scouts will most likely shy away from taking him early.

I really don't have time to watch much college football but that is what they were talking about today.

He does have a funky release, but so far it hasn't hurt him.

He's completing 72% of his passes on the year, and has been extremely accurate his entire 4 year starting career. I would say that he jumps up or down, depending on workouts.

He could easily be a late first rounder, or as some think, a fourth rounder. But he won't be a fourth rounder based on game film, he'll be a fourth rounder because of a less than ideal arm, a funky release, and a lack of mobility.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Oran

As Russ already said, McMahon is horrible. The guy is sacked around 7 times per start. Rob Johnson-esque.

Couch, not to be harsh, is a gutless player. He doesn't take enough chances and he is way too sensitive.

Jim O

Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Do you like Manning?

Originally posted by Krangthebrain
He does have a funky release, but so far it hasn't hurt him.

David Carr had a low release when he came into the NFL as well. I guess if you show well in other areas, a release can be taught.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I'm going to try and watch the Miss vs LSU game to. I have taped and watched three games so far of Eli Manning and he is very mobile and has a very acurate arm in the short to medium passing game. He runs very well. He is a team player from what I have seen of his interviews. A nice kid with ice in his vains.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Hey Snake

Originally posted by Snakester
I'm going to try and watch the Miss vs LSU game to. I have taped and watched three games so far of Eli Manning and he is very mobile and has a very acurate arm in the short to medium passing game. He runs very well. He is a team player from what I have seen of his interviews. A nice kid with ice in his vains.

What time is that game Saturday buddy?

You know I'll be glued to the telly from about noon until 3 (maybe less if Mich blows us out)....it's gonna be tough up there and if Carr loses for the 3rd time in a row to OSU he's history.

A little Michigan/Ohio State humor:

Lloyd Carr, clearly upset about the Michigan Wolverine's loss to the Oregon
Ducks, decides to find out from Jim Tressel what his winning secret is.
Carr
travels to an OSU practice and asks Tressel, "Coach, how is it that your
team is so good? What's your secret?"

Tressel, trying to be helpful, responds by calling Craig Krenzel over and
asks him, "Craig, who's your fathers brother's nephew?

Krenzel answers, "Why coach, that's easy? it's me."

Tressel turns to Carr and says, "See, that's the secret, Lloyd. A smart
quarterback? You've got to have a smart quarterback!"

Thinking he's finally got all the tools he needs, Carr returns to Michigan
and the Wolverine workout. He promptly calls over John Navarre.

"Hey, Navarre! Who's your father's brother's nephew?"

John looks perplexed, thinks a bit and says, "Coach, I'll have to get back
to you after practice on that, okay?

Carr, disgusted, says okay.

During practice, Navarre calls over Chris Perry.

"Hey, Chris, Coach just asked me the weirdest question? "Who's your
father's
brother's nephew?"

Perry answers, "Duh? That's pretty simple? It's me!"

After practice, Navarre catches up with Carr and says, "Hey, Coach, I have
the answer to your question! My father's brother's nephew is Chris Perry!"

Carr says, "No, No, No! You idiot! It's Craig Krenzel!!!"

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you like Manning

Sure I like him but I don't LIKE like him. Why, has he said anything? :D

Krang... here's a Rivers question for you. I've seen mentioned a couple of time that he doesn't have a great arm. What sort of arm strength does he have? Who in the NFL would you compare him to? It doesn't sound like he has a Favre-ish arm but I hope he isn't on par with Plummer or Garcia.

jtav10

Veteran
Reaction score
i will take phillip rivers. tuff kid, family man and a big time winner who improves every year.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Re: Re: Do you like Manning?

Originally posted by Stout
I disagree on one point...I think Oklahoma DEFINITELY has the best D in the land!

Not arguing the point...I think botth could be viewed as tops or #2. Scoring D and rushing D, LSU has OU beat. OU has passing D and total yards per game dominance over LSU. Very close.

I any event, Manning will have his work cut out for him. LSU is tough tough tough.

http://www.foxsports.com/named/CFB/...EFENSE&stable=overall&stat=overallPtsGm&dir=a

Rams4evah

Veteran
Reaction score
Trade us back the Hammer for Warner. He'd fit in well in Arizona. We will even throw in his wife for free.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rams4evah
Trade us back the Hammer for Warner. He'd fit in well in Arizona. We will even throw in his wife for free.

If you give us his wife you have to include more players or draft picks. You think we're dumb enough to take Brenda Warner without proper compensation?

ThunderCard

Reaction score
Player Class Pos. School Stock
1. Eli Manning Sr. QB Mississippi
Outstanding arm and tremendous pocket awareness.
2. Roy Williams Sr. WR Texas
A brilliant talent -- physically, he has it all.
3. Robert Gallery Sr. OT Iowa
6-7, 318-pound pro-style pass blocker.
4. Will Smith Sr. DE Ohio St.
Dominating outside pass rusher.
5. J.P. Losman Sr. QB Tulane
Pure passer with a passion for the game.
6. D.J. Williams Sr. OLB Miami
Physical specimen with tremendous computer numbers.
7. Jonathan Vilma Sr. LB Miami
Team's leading tackler the past two seasons.
8. Karlos Dansby Sr. OLB Auburn
Always at the center of the action.
9. Ben Troupe Sr. TE Florida
A gifted athlete and imposing figure (6-4¼, 260).
10. Marcus Tubbs Sr. DT Texas
Consistently dominant Big 12 performer.
11. Jake Grove Sr. C Va. Tech
A rare first-round-caliber center.
12. Dunta Robinson Sr. CB S. Car.
Excellent feet and great ball skills.
13. Rashaun Woods Sr. WR Okla. St.
The most polished wideout in the country.
14. Stuart Schweigert Sr. S Purdue
Savvy and speedy (4.48 in the 40).
15. Lee Evans Sr. WR Wisconsin
Good leaping ability, outstanding pass-receiving skills.
16. Vernon Carey Sr. OL Miami
Versatility plus incredible natural athletic ability.
17. Derrick Strait Sr. CB Oklahoma
Great cover skills, tough in run support.
18. Will Poole Sr. CB USC
A fast riser with good ball skills.
19. Nathan Vasher Sr. CB Texas
Gifted cover man and punt returner.
20. Rodney Leslie Sr. DT UCLA
Destructive defensive force for the Bruins all season.
21. Will Allen Sr. S Ohio St.
A standout performer all season long.
22. Jacob Rogers Sr. OT USC
Former tight end now a quality bookend left tackle.
23. Michael Turner Sr. RB N. Ill.
Proving himself vs. big-time competition.
24. James Newson Sr. WR Ore. St.
Reliable, tough and great in the red zone.
25. Keith Smith Sr. CB McNeese

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05