Dobbs to the Vikings

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
who says we look bad publicly?? Other than a few folks here I havent seen anyone getting their panties in a wad over Josh Dobbs.

Dude was a cardinal...he played hard...he got traded...good luck Josh Dobbs.
You must be registered for see images attach

Just the first page headlines of a google search. Headlines themselves set the narrative. Most of them aren't just saying it's a trade (a couple are), most have innuendo baked right into it feeding into negative public perception.

Reading through these what you have is the typical narrative setting that questions how we approached what we did. The 100% controllable and avoidable part. Yet this forms the basis of much of these articles.

Dobbs is quoted in just about every article as well and these quotes tend to paint him in a sympathetic light, and by that virtue us as unsympatetic.

Now no one is saying this is some HUGE thing. What I am saying is that this is not what we need and does not help us rehabilitate our image, and gives our critics another chance to kick us while we're down, and we can't blame an old regime, it's our new one doing this, so it's notable.

Especially if the plan is to do either this offseason or next offseason to lure free agents. You don't want to start piling these up.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Just the first page headlines of a google search. Headlines themselves set the narrative. Most of them aren't just saying it's a trade (a couple are), most have innuendo baked right into it feeding into negative public perception.

Reading through these what you have is the typical narrative setting that questions how we approached what we did. The 100% controllable and avoidable part. Yet this forms the basis of much of these articles.

Dobbs is quoted in just about every article as well and these quotes tend to paint him in a sympathetic light, and by that virtue us as unsympatetic.

Now no one is saying this is some HUGE thing. What I am saying is that this is not what we need and does not help us rehabilitate our image, and gives our critics another chance to kick us while we're down, and we can't blame an old regime, it's our new one doing this, so it's notable.

Especially if the plan is to do either this offseason or next offseason to lure free agents. You don't want to start piling these up.
I still dont see gross negativity. Its the business.
I used to raise horses...racing, rodeo, trail, etc...
wasnt uncommon to take a horse on a trail ride on friday, have a great time...make plans for his future... then ship him off to another ranch on saturday.
I guarantee you I had more of an emotional bond with those horses than anyone on Hardy had with Josh Dobbs.
Its a business. once he signed that contract he ceased to be a person and adopted the role of asset. assets get moved and you dont ask their permission to do it.
I like Dobbs. But business happens fast. what you planned to do at 8am may well be totally different at 9am.
Honestly, as much as guys here bitched about the guy...one would expect a lot of posts saying , "aw fudge him he got what he deserved"... but, as per the norm...an opportunity presents itself to bitch about something else...and that just cant be ignored. especially over something as trivial as the team getting rid of a guy that we were posting threads about never wanting to see again.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I get it. I'm not saying this from a personal level. It's just not a good look.

We are being made to look our part, again. It's out there publicly for anyone to see.

We are a messageboard, we bitch about everything. But the connotation that this isn't warranted when we look like a fool again publicly is not accurate.

On that side note you bring up... It's a cutthroat business, but you don't want to look like this.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I get it. I'm not saying this from a personal level. It's just not a good look.

We are being made to look our part, again. It's out there publicly for anyone to see.

We are a messageboard, we bitch about everything. But the connotation that this isn't warranted when we look like a fool again publicly is not accurate.

On that side note you bring up... It's a cutthroat business, but you don't want to look like this.

appearing to enjoy the process of cutting throats is a bad look...I agree, lol.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still dont see gross negativity. Its the business.
I used to raise horses...racing, rodeo, trail, etc...
wasnt uncommon to take a horse on a trail ride on friday, have a great time...make plans for his future... then ship him off to another ranch on saturday.
I guarantee you I had more of an emotional bond with those horses than anyone on Hardy had with Josh Dobbs.
Its a business. once he signed that contract he ceased to be a person and adopted the role of asset. assets get moved and you dont ask their permission to do it.
I like Dobbs. But business happens fast. what you planned to do at 8am may well be totally different at 9am.
Honestly, as much as guys here bitched about the guy...one would expect a lot of posts saying , "aw fudge him he got what he deserved"... but, as per the norm...an opportunity presents itself to bitch about something else...and that just cant be ignored. especially over something as trivial as the team getting rid of a guy that we were posting threads about never wanting to see again.
Horses don't gossip and choose which ranch they live at. NFL players do. When anyone has choices as to where they can work, damn right they find out as much as they can about employers. And this year, starting off with the franchises ranked by players, has been horrible PR. It doesn't matter at all that fans give this little attention or what their opinion is if they have one.

I don't expect us to even try to do much of anything in free agency anyhow.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Horses don't gossip and choose which ranch they live at. NFL players do. When anyone has choices as to where they can work, damn right they find out as much as they can about employers. And this year, starting off with the franchises ranked by players, has been horrible PR. It doesn't matter at all that fans give this little attention or what their opinion is if they have one.

I don't expect us to even try to do much of anything in free agency anyhow.
True. But lots of factors go into where a guy decides to sign.
How a team treated a fringe player means less to a star than how much they get in guarantees.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True. But lots of factors go into where a guy decides to sign.
How a team treated a fringe player means less to a star than how much they get in guarantees.
Agree on that. Money is a lot more important.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was a great run for the TD. He looks really good today.

Once again, the Cardinals are looking stupid. And, fans have to root for a former player to look bad on his new team. Johnny Venable is like "Damn, got nothing to tweet on Dobbs."

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Once again, the Cardinals are looking stupid. And, fans have to root for a former player to look bad on his new team. Johnny Venable is like "Damn, got nothing to tweet on Dobbs."
Dobbs found a way to play well early here.

However, what he's doing now speaks to the Vikings depth and their play calling. Just another level at the moment.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dobbs found a way to play well early here.

However, what he's doing now speaks to the Vikings depth and their play calling. Just another level at the moment.
Yes, he is a good backup. He will be in that role for a long time in the NFL.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Venerable is so damn annoying. And I still watch it only because Bo is fair.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dobbs is playing today like he did against the Cowboys. Well maybe a bit better.