Does anybody think there will be a chance that the Raiders will pick Roy Williams?

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Scouts Draft and Mel Kiper now have Roy Williams going to the Raiders. They say Al Davis has fallen in love with his speed. Does anybody think this is possible or do you think it is hype?

What are the odds of us taking him? I'd still like Fitz more but Green is in love with speed and Roy Williams definitely has it. I know some of you guys say Johnson is our speed guy but he's never looked that fast to me.

spanky1

Reaction score
SunCardfan said:
The Scouts Draft and Mel Kiper now have Roy Williams going to the Raiders. They say Al Davis has fallen in love with his speed. Does anybody think this is possible or do you think it is hype?

What are the odds of us taking him? I'd still like Fitz more but Green is in love with speed and Roy Williams definitely has it. I know some of you guys say Johnson is our speed guy but he's never looked that fast to me.

I think it is all hype..........the most recent love affair seems to be towards Kellen Winslow..........but if he were to take a WR at #2, I think it would be Fitzgerald over Roy Williams.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Expect the unexpected from Al. This is the same guy who drafted a kicker in the 1st round, so no I wouldn't be surprised if he tabs RW at the 2nd spot.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
Expect the unexpected from Al. This is the same guy who drafted a kicker in the 1st round, so no I wouldn't be surprised if he tabs RW at the 2nd spot.
Or takes Winslow or Gallery or trades down...
Al Davis he so CRAAAZY!

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Look at his past #1's.Janikowski,Marinovich,Brayton, he could take anyone.Don't rule out Ben or Udeze.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SunCardfan said:

That's the local rumor but I keep going back to Artie Gigantino saying on tv on the Raiders post game show "I know for a fact Al Davis covets Larry Fitzgerald of Pitt." This was before anybody had a clue if Fitz would be in the draft before. it was before Callahan was fired, after that, Gigantino became an official Raider spokesman, and stopped making such comments in public.

So unless Davis now prefers Roy, I'm banking they still prefer Fitz. If you think about it, when he said it, everyone thought LF was slower than he ran at his workout, Roy basically ran what you expected based on his rep, Fitz ran faster than expected. So if Davis coveted him before, he would surely do so now that he ran faster I would think?

But you can never be sure, locally there is definite talk that Roy's workout has the Raiders looking hard at him.

Remember, everyone keeps talking about Porter as the "deep threat", a guy who has only 18 catches over 20 yards in his career 12 in 2002 his only year where he really played. Career average of 13 YPC. He's fast on the Raiders, but he's not really a burner, and that seems to be where teh Roy Williams over FItz talk is coming from, need a REAL fast guy to stretch the field.

Lars the Red

aka Thor, God of Thunder
Reaction score
Part of Porter's problem in catching the deep balls (besides his injuries), is you need someone that can get it down field and Gannon's cannon ain't what it used to be. Maybe Al has something else up his sleeve.....could it be a QB in the later rounds and a curve ball at #2?

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ah, the intrigue.

Well, let's see--what will the Raiders do?? (Not real concerned about the Chargers cuz' I don't think Fitz' is at the top of their list--or they'll trade the pick to someone who wants Eli (Giants). Back to Oak. Al Davis is not exactly a "spring chicken" so I would imagine his yearly mantra is "Just win baby,--NOW"!! "I'm not getting any younger". Will they take a strong-armed QB that can get it down the field BUT take time to become "polished" at the position?? ie; Big Ben. ...Or will they count on banged-up R. Gannon?? Ok--here's what I think. IF they do go QB they'll take Ben. I think NFL defenses have pretty well figured out the Raiders' short passing game, and can neutralize it. Especially since their ground game isn't feared. But if they think a speed WR will open up the under-neath passing game they'll take the "speed" guy ie; R. Williams. Sure Fitz' will catch everything but what good is that if he gets hit the moment he catches the ball?? I personally hope Fitz' falls to us, and J. McAddley (sp??) or B. Gilmore develop this year to give us a deep threat. "I feel the need for speed"!! (LOL) GO CARDS!!

MadRob

Rookie
Reaction score
:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Roy Williams as the #2 pick????

... Yea, and for the #3 pick you'll see me.... :wtf:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05