Don't be surprised if Cards take a hard look

corrado

Registered
Reaction score
at Zach Miller in the 2nd round. A position of need and although they are looking more for a blocking tight end, Miller has solid technique as a blocker and will get better with proper pro coaching. His receiving skills speak for themselves.

ishbin

Rookie
Reaction score
it's just not going to happen. while i do think we will take that blocking t.e. on the second day there is no reason to take zack in the second. combine pope & the fact that we need a lot more help in other positions of need & it's clear we will not take any t.e. in the 2nd...more likely to be a lb,de, or ot if we don't get ours in the first.

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
it's just not going to happen. while i do think we will take that blocking t.e. on the second day there is no reason to take zack in the second. combine pope & the fact that we need a lot more help in other positions of need & it's clear we will not take any t.e. in the 2nd...more likely to be a lb,de, or ot if we don't get ours in the first.

I don't know, the Cards are sure keeping us guessing on who they may draft. I usually have some kind of feel for what they are going to do but not this year. I don't know what's real and what's bluff and bluster.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I don't know, the Cards are sure keeping us guessing on who they may draft. I usually have some kind of feel for what they are going to do but not this year. I don't know what's real and what's bluff and bluster.

It sure is different this year. Last year of course only a very small number of people believed there was any chance of Leinart falling and that threw off all our draft discussions but many were on to Gabe Watson and Leonard Pope and after his pro day, Duece Latui. Though no one really though we could get all three.

However, in 2005 many posters had the Cards taking Rolle #1 and Arrington in the second and of course in 2004 almost everyone knew Fitz was the #1 choice.

This year the board is all over the place. Should be an interesting weekend.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
at Zach Miller in the 2nd round. A position of need and although they are looking more for a blocking tight end, Miller has solid technique as a blocker and will get better with proper pro coaching. His receiving skills speak for themselves.

Not if Justin Blalock or Tank Tyler are on the board. Whiz will go interior line first.

That said, you are right to suggest that Miller would be a good pick at #38. No question, the dude is a baller.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whiz was recently quoted as naming TE a position of need (along with OL and DL), so I don't think Miller in the second is that far-fetched. In fact, it would be good value, IMO and a good pick.

Pope and Miller is a TE combination that has a lot of potential.

OP
OP
C

corrado

Registered
Reaction score
Blaylock

I will be shocked if Blaylock is there at 38 when the Cards pick. You couple his versatility to play both guard/tackle, his playing against top notch competition and his intelligence (40 on wonderlic) he aint going to be there at 38. In fact I see the Jets taking him in the first round as a strong possiblity. Just wishfull thinking on the fans part to think he will last to 38.

Mitch

Reaction score
I will be shocked if Blaylock is there at 38 when the Cards pick. You couple his versatility to play both guard/tackle, his playing against top notch competition and his intelligence (40 on wonderlic) he aint going to be there at 38. In fact I see the Jets taking him in the first round as a strong possiblity. Just wishfull thinking on the fans part to think he will last to 38.

I agree...but...I think there is going to be a swift run on the DBs and D-linemen in this draft...both are loaded with talent at the top, but drop off considerably...which may mean that Blalock might be there.

I guarantee one thing...there will be a surprise name there at #38...there is every year.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree...but...I think there is going to be a swift run on the DBs and D-linemen in this draft...both are loaded with talent at the top, but drop off considerably...which may mean that Blalock might be there.

I guarantee one thing...there will be a suprise name there at #38...there is every year.

JJ Arrington was not a surprise two years ago.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
I'm still holding out hope that the Cardinals can figure out a way to do this scenario:
  • Trade Edge to the Bears for Lance Briggs.
  • Pick Peterson at #5.
  • Find a quality OT in Round 2.
I know - I'm dreaming.

:p

OP
OP
C

corrado

Registered
Reaction score
Mitch

There are too many clubs picking ahead of the Cards at the end of round 1 and beginning of round 2 that are in need of an o-lineman. You have the Chiefs, Jets, Ravens, Bears, Raiders (2nd), Bowns (2nd) regardless of the run on the defensive side of the ball that will probably occur.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Surprise Pick At #38

Mitch, right on. And I think all/most Card fans were surprised that Pope and Watson were there in the 3rd and 4th rounds as well. The surprise pick is one certainty every year.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not if Justin Blalock or Tank Tyler are on the board. Whiz will go interior line first.

That said, you are right to suggest that Miller would be a good pick at #38. No question, the dude is a baller.

Mitch, you don't know this. I do agree Zack Miller will be a decent workman-like TE for many years. He has good hands, is tough as nails, and is a better blocker than the write-ups state.

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, you don't know this. I do agree Zack Miller will be a decent workman-like TE for many years. He has good hands, is tough as nails, and is a better blocker than the write-ups state.

You're right, Skkorp, I don't know that Whiz would take Blalock over Miller...but I would be surprised--based on what Whiz has said about the team's priorities--if he did.

If Whiz takes Thomas or Brown in round one...taking Miller in Round 2 would be more feasible.

But, if Whiz goes defense in round one...it would seem he would have to address the o-line at #38.

As I said, I like Miller a lot. Maybe the best scenario--if at all possible--is to trade down a few slots in the first to add an extra 2nd rounder and then be able to take Blalock and Miller! Now that would be sweeeeet!!!

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whiz was recently quoted as naming TE a position of need (along with OL and DL), so I don't think Miller in the second is that far-fetched. In fact, it would be good value, IMO and a good pick.

Pope and Miller is a TE combination that has a lot of potential.
that is french for not any good

Scot1

Registered
Reaction score
NFLDraft Countdown on Blaylock:

Strengths:
Outstanding size and bulk...Good athleticism, quickness and balance...Very strong and powerful...Stout at the point and does not get pushed back...Will overwhelm defensive linemen at the point...Has a great initial punch...Moves well...Smart and a hard worker with top intangibles...Terrific run blocker and a road grader...Nasty and plays with a killer instinct...Is versatile...Durable and has a lot of experience.

Weaknesses:
Does not have great feet and his footwork needs refinement...Needs to play with more consistent leverage...Is not yet a great technician and still relies too heavily on his natural talent...A better run than pass blocker...His range is only average.

Notes:
Was a four-year starter...Played right tackle for most of his career but saw some action at guard as a senior...Will probably move inside to guard at the next level but he could potentially play tackle as well...One of the better prospects to come along at his position in a while and he is the rare guard with first round potential.

He's the top-ranked guard on many lists, and is projected to go in the first round; beyond that, footwork woes make me pretty suspicious of him as an OT answer--and we have too many guards now.

Let's hope Staley, for some reason, falls, if we foolishly go for Adams or AP or some other red herring at 5.

Scot1

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about last post--I forgot this was a TE thread.

I'm a homer, really like Miller, but I doubt he'll get taken at 2 (and therefore not at all), since he isn't a proven superior blocker. And I have trouble even advocating taking him--wait a round and take Spaeth, given our plans.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As I said, I like Miller a lot. Maybe the best scenario--if at all possible--is to trade down a few slots in the first to add an extra 2nd rounder and then be able to take Blalock and Miller! Now that would be sweeeeet!!![/quote]

Two wrongs do make a right. I don't believe it is even a remote chance they take Miller. There are several better blocking tight ends that we can take in round 3/4 and pick up either a class LB or DB in round 2 if we dont land Tor B.

If by some reason they take AP in round 1 (wrong move IMO) then you can be totally assured they will take the best available OT in round 2.

Second wrong. We cannot get a 2 and switch 1's by dropping just a few, say down to no lower than 9. These are my humble educated guesses at this hour.

Doc Cardinal

Old Fart
Reaction score
Miller would improve our offense....but more than a quality offensive lineman?

I'll keep it simple by saying in the first two rounds that we need an impact offensive and defensive player.....I don't care in which round is what.....but one MUST be an offensive lineman.