Don't hit Leandro in the face...

Errntknght

Reaction score
The Clippers ought to take this as their motto.

Kobe's elbow woke him up but Lamar's cheap shot turned his afterburners on. I would never have guessed that LB had yet another speed! To top it off he pulled up for 3 midrange shots and hit them all.

Going back to the last 6/7 games of the regular season when I noticed LB was putting up more mid range shots - runners, pullups and standing - I believe he has not missed one. Its only a total of about 12 shots so it doesn't mean the world but its a heck of a nice sign. I thought I might mention this as it isn't as exciting as his speed and terrific finishing at the hoop has been but it could be just as significant in the long run.

Maximus

Reaction score
I think the coaching staff is doing a brilliant job at turning LB into a an absolute predator on offense. His 3 point shooting has been brilliant this year, as is his speed and capability to drive. They have built just a deadly combination. How do you guard him?! Give him some distance to offset his speed and he drills a 3. Play him close, and you can't backpedal fast enough.

He's becoming quite the weapon...

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not going to call him LB as long as Larry Brown is in the league. Not fair to Leandro. :D

I agree the mid range game is huge. With Leandro's ability to shoot threes, teams can't back up on him, but with his speed they have to worry about him getting to the backet before the weak side help gets there. The result is wide open areas in the 12 to 15 foot range.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Errntknght said:

Kobe's elbow woke him up but Lamar's cheap shot turned his afterburners on. I would never have guessed that LB had yet another speed! To top it off he pulled up for 3 midrange shots and hit them all.

Going back to the last 6/7 games of the regular season when I noticed LB was putting up more mid range shots - runners, pullups and standing - I believe he has not missed one. Its only a total of about 12 shots so it doesn't mean the world but its a heck of a nice sign. I thought I might mention this as it isn't as exciting as his speed and terrific finishing at the hoop has been but it could be just as significant in the long run.

I was about burst in tears when I saw LB drive by his defender from the middle right, realizing 2-3 Lakers were gathered under the basket, he just pulled up for a 7-8 feet jumper and nailed it. Earlier he might have crashed into those Lakers under basket for a layup. He is so blazing fast, he is bound to find a lot of room. It's time that he exploits this room to his full advantage.When he manages to keep his head up just even half way, he is to have his way in the offense. Very encouraging signs indeed.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
cly2tw said:
I was about burst in tears when I saw LB drive by his defender from the middle right, realizing 2-3 Lakers were gathered under the basket, he just pulled up for a 7-8 feet jumper and nailed it. Earlier he might have crashed into those Lakers under basket for a layup. He is so blazing fast, he is bound to find a lot of room. It's time that he exploits this room to his full advantage.When he manages to keep his head up just even half way, he is to have his way in the offense. Very encouraging signs indeed.

yea, that was amazing.

I didnt know he could do that!

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Leandro is also willing to kick it out, which he didn't use to do.

More than once I had to wait until the play was over to see who was driving and kicking. More than once, I was stunned that Leandro had made that pass.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Leandro is also willing to kick it out, which he didn't use to do.

I actually disagree on this one somewhat. I think Barbosa got most of his assists by driving and kicking out. The play I was impressed with was the one where he was driving and Kwame stepped up to defend him and left Marion alone on the basline and Barbosa had a nice bounce pass to Shawn for an easy dunk. It seemd like he saw taht play develop before it happend which is incouraging.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
No question Barbosa's PG skills have improved.

IMO when we look back, game 6 will seem like a turning point in Barbosa's career. I think he put too much pressure on himself early in the series, and the way he was forced to be out there in game 6 took the pressure off.

The thing is, LB only had 9 shots in 47 minutes in that game, so he didn't lose his (over-?) selectiveness. But, when he did put up a shot, he did so with confidence and decisiveness, and that carried over to game 7 and (I hope) beyond.

Barbosa's FTs in the Lakers series really surprised me. Ordinarily, his FTs feel like an adventure even when he makes them, but he was stuck on automatic the last two weeks. :thumbup:

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
SunsTzu said:
I actually disagree on this one somewhat. I think Barbosa got most of his assists by driving and kicking out. The play I was impressed with was the one where he was driving and Kwame stepped up to defend him and left Marion alone on the basline and Barbosa had a nice bounce pass to Shawn for an easy dunk. It seemd like he saw taht play develop before it happend which is incouraging.

I agree Barbosa's whole game when he was playing the point was driving the lane out of control and kicking it out or trying to hit the layup while going away from contact.

planaria

Rookie
Reaction score
Maximus said:
I think the coaching staff is doing a brilliant job at turning LB into a an absolute predator on offense. His 3 point shooting has been brilliant this year, as is his speed and capability to drive. They have built just a deadly combination. How do you guard him?! Give him some distance to offset his speed and he drills a 3. Play him close, and you can't backpedal fast enough.

He's becoming quite the weapon...

Of course he has improved a lot season after season, but you shouldnt forget that this guy came to NBA after a monster season for the brazilian standarts (at 20 years old) and in the last summer he was absolutelly on fire playing for Brazilian NT (I just will remember that 6/6 FG3 in the last 10 minutes of a big comeback that give the american cup championship to Brazil in the final against USA).

It's not like he's turning in a good basketball player just now. I think that he is finally been used in the correct way for D'Antoni.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
did you see last night when they hit barbosa in the head? he then threw up a circus shot that went in. i remember reading something about his older brother training his and hitting him with sticks when he did something wrong. maybe he responds positivly to pain. maybe if he is having a slow half we can have borke punch him in the face in the locker room to get him going.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Errntknght said:

The mid range pull up and the floater are becoming a part of Leandros skillset. When these shots are consistent, he is going to be a monster on offense. Until now, defenses jammed the 3, and help defense moved into the lane area on the drive, expecting a finish at the rim. With the pullup jumper and floater, all previously used defensive solutions fail. Contest the pullup, and he can go right by the defender to the rim. I can hardly wait to see how the spurs, who jam the 3 real well, will deal with this new development. Hopefully, the suns can win this series, and earn a showdown with the spurs. Watching Diaw and Barbosa mature this playoff season has been the highlight for me. With Amare, KT and this core, the suns can win multiple championships if everyone stays healthy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05