Draft: Mike Mayock update on Texas Pro Day

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My favorite stop for a pro day every year is Austin, Texas. They put on a great show and, trust me folks, there’s no lack of talent. This year, the curiosity was quarterback Colt McCoy, and I think the most important factor was he showed he was healthy. He throws the ball deep, he throws it intermediate, he had excellent deep touch and accuracy.

I loved his footwork. I knew he was a great athlete, so he’s got great mobility. He’s smart and tough — you can see that off-tape. The most important thing I saw was his ability to drive in intermediate routes — both the in-breaking big route and the comeback route. he showed he can do that. I think he’s a solid second-round quarterback.

Earl Thomas, the safety, ran a 4.34 40 on my watch. Remember, it’s a very fast surface and the scouts will add some time to that. He pulled a hammy and didn’t do anything else.

The way I look at Sergio Kindle is he’s a fantastic athlete coming forward. He’s explosive and quick. I don’t like him quite as much in space, but he’s going to be a first-round pick coming off the edge.

Lamarr Houston. Natural three-technique, 300-pound guy who moves tremendously well, could drop his wait, bend his hips and explode. I think he’s a second-round three-technique.

Finally, Jordan Shipley, the wide receiver, ran 4.55 on my watch. I don’t really care. That’s what he is. He’s quicker than fast, he’s tough, he’s instinctive. He’s a punt returner and kickoff returner and he caught every single throw from Colt McCoy today. Great hands and he will help an NFL team, probably in the third round.

How about Shipley in the Third for the Cards!!
AZ JAM

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Would love Shipley in the 3rd.

Also note that Mayock is the only TV Draft Analyst that the real scouts actually take seriously. Mayock is the only one with access to the scout tapes, that the scouts use, and they feel he is the only one who actually watches them. Kiper and McCshay dont have access to those scout tapes. They have to use regular tape like us normal folks.

Tim

Reaction score
I like McCoy as a prospect. He's been at the top (if not the top) in accuracy for years in college football while running a pro style offense. Accuracy is the most important athletic trait in a QB (see Kurt Warner) and I think he'll be successful at the next level.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'd prefer to stay away from U of Texas players, lately most disappoint at the next level. There are only a few exceptions to that rule (Orakpo last year seemed to be one of the only ones lately that may pan out).

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Would love Shipley in the 3rd.

Also note that Mayock is the only TV Draft Analyst that the real scouts actually take seriously. Mayock is the only one with access to the scout tapes, that the scouts use, and they feel he is the only one who actually watches them. Kiper and McCshay dont have access to those scout tapes. They have to use regular tape like us normal folks.

I've been on the Shipley or Arenas bandwagon in the third from day one...

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Mike Miller the Cardinals' QB coach was there? It would be interesting to know whether he was.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like McCoy as a prospect. He's been at the top (if not the top) in accuracy for years in college football while running a pro style offense. Accuracy is the most important athletic trait in a QB (see Kurt Warner) and I think he'll be successful at the next level.

I think some team with a low 2nd round pick will move up to take up at the end of the first round. That has already been talked about on this board.
Cards could be the trade candidate for the McCoy pick at #26.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'd prefer to stay away from U of Texas players, lately most disappoint at the next level. There are only a few exceptions to that rule (Orakpo last year seemed to be one of the only ones lately that may pan out).

Hey you must have missed last season. 2009 the year of the Longhorn career resurrection.

Ricky Williams 1121 yards 4.7avg and 11 rushing TDS
Cedric Benson 1251 yards 4.2avg and 6 TDs
Vince Young takes 0-6 Titans to 6-2 finish and throws for almost 400 yards vs Arizona
Lyle Sendlein leads Cardinals to first 4+ypc rushing average since 2002.

:D

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Mike Miller the Cardinals' QB coach was there? It would be interesting to know whether he was.

Chris Miller is the QB coach. Mike Miller is the passing game coordinator. Though it would be interesting to know if either one were there.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score

Poppycock!! UT's list of alumni in the NFL is as impressive as any school. Casey Hampton, Shaun Rogers, Michael Huff, Quintin Jammer, Roy Williams, Jamaal Charles, Cedrick Benson, Ricky Williams, Derek Johnson, Jermichael Finley (you may remember him from our playoff game against GB), Cedric Griffin, Bo Scaife, Michael Griffin, Vince Young, Nathan Vasher, Lyle Seindlein, Bryan Orakpo, Leonard Davis, Derrick Dockery.

Every expert knew Vince Young would take 3 or 4 years to develop, but since he had some success his rookie year, everyone put unrealistic expectations on him his second and third years.

The Card's played Davis out of position for 5 years, and was considered a flop, but is now a perenial pro bowler at G.

Of course they are not all stars, but most of the Longhorns in the NFL are above average to very good players.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I knew there would be some Texas homers who would get worked up. The problem is, over half the people on that list would be considered busts compared to where they were drafted. Like I said, there are exceptions to the rule. However, most of these guys get overhyped because of the school.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I knew there would be some Texas homers who would get worked up. The problem is, over half the people on that list would be considered busts compared to where they were drafted. Like I said, there are exceptions to the rule. However, most of these guys get overhyped because of the school.

The same can be said for most major colleges. The school a player goes to definitely figures into their draft status...and MOST are over hyped.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe Mike M is the passing game coordinator. Chris M is the QB coach.

I heard on NFL Net that the only two out of the 32 teams (the Lions and Rams) were not represented at McCoy's workout. That would suggest that Chris Miller was probably there.

There's something about McCoy that bothers me (It's similar to the negative vibe I got about Brady Quinn prior to his draft:

It's almost as though they're each "too good to be true" - right out of Central Casting - groomed to be "The One" - from Pop Warner right through HS and college.

When I raised this concern about Quinn (who came to the NFL with all the hoopla of a Notre Dame Boy Wonder), I took a lot of heat on this board for prejudging the dude (and that criticism was probably justified). But I still can't think about this latest guy with a ready-made QB name like "Colt McCoy" and wonder out loud whether he's "had it too easy" or has been artificially hyped up by a hometown and college PR effort.

(Note - To McCoy's credit, he seems to be a film-room and gym-rat who comes across as a humble hardworking guy. And there's the fact that he completed 53 of 53 passes thrown during his Pro Day. But still...)

Last edited:

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
I believe Mike M is the passing game coordinator. Chris M is the QB coach.

I heard on NFL Net that the only two out of the 32 teams (the Lions and Rams) were not represented at McCoy's workout. That would suggest that Chris Miller was probably there.

There's something about McCoy that bothers me (It's similar to the negative vibe I got about Brady Quinn prior to his draft:

It's almost as though they're each "too good to be true" - right out of Central Casting - groomed to be "The One" - from Pop Warner right through HS and college.

When I raised this concern about Quinn (who came to the NFL with all the hoopla of a Notre Dame Boy Wonder), I took a lot of heat on this board for prejudging the dude (and that criticism was probably justified). But I still can't think about this latest guy with a ready-made QB name like "Colt McCoy" and wonder out loud whether he's "had it too easy" or has been artificially hyped up by a hometown and college PR effort.

(Note - To McCoy's credit, he seems to be a film-room and gym-rat who comes across as a humble hardworking guy. And there's the fact that he completed 53 of 53 passes thrown during his Pro Day. But still...)

I'd love to have McCoy as the 3rd string QB, he reminds me alot of Drew Brees. Was hoping he wouldn't have a great proday and he'd somehow drop to the 3rd rd, but after today, i'm sure he'll go in the second. He's a smart kid, academic all american all 4 yrs at Texas and his dad was his HS coach, but never got the feeling his dad "Marinovich'd" him. He also was a scrawny 3 star recruit when he came to Texas and had to beat out Jevan Sneed, so he's worked hard while at UT. He's super accurate and mobile, but doesn't have a cannon for an arm, which fits the Cards well.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score

So just for the sake of arguement, which schools should we concentrate on? The only school I can think of that would probably be better is Miami, but if you look at the last 3 or 4 years, they haven't been as dominate in the draft either.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
So just for the sake of arguement, which schools should we concentrate on? The only school I can think of that would probably be better is Miami, but if you look at the last 3 or 4 years, they haven't been as dominate in the draft either.

Don't worry about him HC he's just jealous. We all know that Texas is the #1 rival for half the schools in the country. Heck Arkansas hasn't been in the same conference with Texas in over 15 years and they still get more worked up over UT than any SEC school.

What more can you say about a University that had 27 guys from their BCS title team play in the NFL? 25 of them still playing at the end of last season.

I,,I

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Don't worry about him HC he's just jealous. We all know that Texas is the #1 rival for half the schools in the country. Heck Arkansas hasn't been in the same conference with Texas in over 15 years and they still get more worked up over UT than any SEC school.

What more can you say about a University that had 27 guys from their BCS title team play in the NFL? 25 of them still playing at the end of last season.

I,,I

Joe Paterno grumbles something, stares at UT through his thick glasses, and scoffs. :D