Draft Pick Watch

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It probably has according to realgm.com:

The L.A. Lakers own 2015 1st round pick to Phoenix (Top-5 Protected in the 2015 NBA Draft, top-3 protected in 2016, top-3 protected in 2017 and unprotected in the 2018 Draft). [L.A. Lakers-Phoenix, 7/11/2012]

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

They updated the pick information then because that was the site I used to verify that the protection dropped off back in October.

But yes, it does appear that they didn't trade a 1st round pick outright to Orlando.

The L.A. Lakers' own 2017 1st round draft pick to Orlando two years after The L.A. Lakers satisfy their obligation to send Phoenix a first round pick.(Top-5 Protected in the 2017 NBA Draft, top-5 protected in 2018 and unprotected in the 2019 NBA Draft. If The L.A. Lakers' cannot satisfy their obligation to send Phoenix a first round pick by the 2017 NBA Draft, then the L.A. Lakers will convey their own second round picks in 2017 and 2018 to Orlando

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hate the protection stuff. I would love to see the NBA make a rule against protecting traded picks. If you trade it, you trade it.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
slinslin, you love to argue anything and the opposite of it sometimes (or often) without any specific knowledge.
It is pretty obvious that "new" informations about the MEM/MIN pick do favour the Suns, yet you try to convince yourself that they don't.

You obviously know very little about this draft or the next, barely seen anyone from this year's draft to play, yet you state that this draft is not weak.

Keep it up.

How deep is this draft? Better or worse than last year?

Chad Ford

Depth is actually very good. I really like a lot of the players in the 20s and 30s on our Big Board. The issue with this year's draft is that there aren't really any franchise players out there. No superstars. But a lot of the players in this draft will stick in the league a long time. So if you're drafting 1-3 you're really bummed right now. But if you're draft 18 or 25, there are players here that you are genuinely interested in.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
And all the talk about there not being a #1 pick sure-fire franchise player is kind of premature too.

Let us wait for March Madness.

There might not be an Andrew Wiggins in this class but look at the draft class of Blake Griffin, Derrick Rose or Kyrie Irving. Those guys were not expected to go #1 early in the college season.

Kyrie Irving was not supposed to be a clear cut #1 pick, Derrick Rose got the status late and some still prefered Beasley and starting the college season it was supposed to be Mayo.

I am sure after March Madness there will be someone who the vast majority agrees should go #1.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And all the talk about there not being a #1 pick sure-fire franchise player is kind of premature too.

Let us wait for March Madness.

There might not be an Andrew Wiggins in this class but look at the draft class of Blake Griffin, Derrick Rose or Kyrie Irving. Those guys were not expected to go #1 early in the college season.

Kyrie Irving was not supposed to be a clear cut #1 pick, Derrick Rose got the status late and some still prefered Beasley and starting the college season it was supposed to be Mayo.

I am sure after March Madness there will be someone who the vast majority agrees should go #1.

That's not the same thing as saying there is a projectable franchise player in this draft. If Shabazz, for example, ends up as the clear cut number one pick I still don't think anyone is going to project him as a superstar in the making. Great scorer perhaps but maybe nothing more than a super sub in the NBA.

Right now, I haven't seen anyone I'd put in the Lebron, Durant etc. class but you're right, it's still too early to say someone won't show up. Carmelo and Wade were both big names but let's face it, it was their tourney performances that made scouts sit up and take real notice.

Steve

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There aren't many clear cut franchise players coming out any more. They are so young that they all are real gambles. While there have been consensus #1 picks, very few of those were considered can't miss franchise players. In the last 20 years its probably only been Oden, LeBron, Duncan and Shaq that fit that category (I don't remember what people were thinking of Iverson). Oden was considered can't miss and missed.

Dwight Howard was considered a good prospect, but coming out of high school, he was clearly a gamble.

It would be interesting to rate the #1 picks over the last 20 years from best to worst and see where the biggest dangers are as far as position etc. Let's see

1. Shaq
2. Duncan
3. LeBron
4. Derrick Rose
5. Dwight Howard
6. Blake Griffin
7. Allen Iverson
8. Kyrie Irving
9. Elton Brand
10. Chris Webber
11. Joe Smith
12. Glenn Robinson
13. Yao Ming
14. Andrew Bogut
15. Adrea Bargnani
16. John Wall
17. Anthony Davis (still in progress)
18. Kenyon Martin
19. Greg Oden
20. Kwame Brown

Last edited:

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
McLemore putting on a show against Iowa St. Absolutely killing it down the stretch and hit a huge shot to get it to OT. Also showing signs of being able to score in iso.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I don't think so since the condition that the Suns will get the Lakers pick if they miss the play-off, was the part of the Nash-deal and they just can't take away that from the Suns even if they acquire another 1st rounder because that would break the agreement and deal made before.

I agree that the Lakers have to convey their own pick to us but lets suppose that the Lakers 2013 pick did originally have top 3 protection which was lost via the Stepien rule. If they were to acquire a 2014 first round pick from someone else then they would be free to lets us have their own 2014 pick, in which case the protection on the 2013 pick would no longer violate the Stepien rule. My guess is that if the 2013 pick ever had protection it still does but if they don't have another 2014 or 2015 first rounder in time they will not be able to use the protection. Things are simpler that way, you don't have to update the protection clauses, you simply can't use them if it would violate the Stepien rule as of that moment.

Interesting that their trading of their 2017 first rounder to Orlando had exactly the kind of conditions attached to it to prevent it from ever violating the Stepien rule, that I conjectured they might have attached to the 2015 pick to the Suns. Apparently they did not but they could have.

As far as what's really the case I'm still a bit in doubt. Several people have averred there is no protection on the 2013 pick but some of those people also said there was no protection on the 2015 pick and now it appears there is. Its probably moot since LA would have to finagle another first rounder to use the protection... and top 3 is unlikely in itself.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
McLemore is quickly becoming my favorite player in this draft. He seems to have a great skill set, incredible athleticism and a head on his shoulders. There is an outside chance he could be franchise player material.

If I was a Laker fan, I think I would be pretty ticked about the Nash trade.

Last edited:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
McLemore is quickly becoming my favorite player in this draft. He seems to have a great skill set, incredible athleticism and a head on his shoulders. There is an outside chance he could be franchise player material.

I agree, but I want to add that I am actually impressed with him on the defensive end as well. I might be wrong, but I don't remember hearing much about his defense, but in the couple of games I've watched, he was solid. Not great, but definitely solid.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Lakers lost
Suns lost

Cavs won
Raptors won
Hornets won

The way Vasquez has been playing and Gordon back the Hornets should slowly pass us in the standings. Same for the Cavs with Irving despite Varejao missing 8 weeks now. The Raptors have been better lately and should stay ahead.

That would give us a bottom 3 record with Washington and Charlotte. Charlotte could theoretically maybe pass us still. Washington is unlikely unless John Wall comes back 100% right away.

Dallas worries me, despite Nowitzki back they are playing as bad as we are and have just 1 more win.

But the biggest threat right now is Orlando, they are free-falling.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Lakers need to finish 31-15 to even have a chance at 46-36 more likely they might have to go 32-14 to make the playoffs.

They play OKC Friday. They are 15-20 with 47 games remaining.

They still play 3x OKC, 2x MIA, 2x MEM, 2x LAC, 2x BOS, 1x SAS, 2x GSW, 2x ATL, 1x BKN, 1x HOU, 2x CHI, 1x DEN, 1x UTH

Those are 22 games alone where 11-11 is the best they will do imo. Putting them at 26-31.

Would have to go 20-5 against the rest (3x Phoenix, 1x Washington, 1x Cleveland, 1x Indiana, 3x Minnesota, 2x Dallas, 2x Portland, 2x Milwaukee, 2x Toronto, 3x New Orleans, 1x Detroit, 1x Charlotte, 1x Orlando, 2x Sacramento

If the Lakers go 5-6 (0-4 vs Memphis, Miamia and OKC and 5-2 vs the rest) for the rest of january against OKC, CLE, MIL, MIA, TOR, CHI, MEM, UTH, OKC, NOH, PHX they would be at 20-26 and need to finish 26-10 with games again Miami, Oklahoma, Memphis, San Antonio, Brooklyn, Houston, Chicago, Denver, 2xAtlanta, 2x Clippers, 2x Warriors, 2x Celtics left on their schedule.

It looks very bad for the Lakers if they have more than 25 losses at the end of january I give them 10% chance, if they have 28 or more i'd say 1%.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is that nervous time toward the end of a game with two minutes left and you are up by seven against a very good team. You dare to hope, but know very well those hopes could be dashed.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
If there's anything positive about this season, it's that the Lakers are imploding. Suns are on their way to having a top 5 pick + another late lottery pick.

On the other hand, knowing the Suns luck, the Lakers will claw their way into the #8 seed and get swept in the 1st round. Which gives us the Miami pick.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lakers are going to try and get in, they have to try.

whereas we will see other teams begin to tank in the west. i too was hoping the hornets would begin to climb, they have no reason not to right now.

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score

The thing about McLemore thats intriguing is that he probably hasn't even hit his stride yet.

McLemore was a previous years recruit that had to set out last year because of NCAA Clearinghouse issues.

So this kid hasn't even played in real games for over a year.

I'm sure he was playing but not at the competetive level that hes playing at now.

He might not of found his rhythm yet.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The thing about McLemore thats intriguing is that he probably hasn't even hit his stride yet.

McLemore was a previous years recruit that had to set out last year because of NCAA Clearinghouse issues.

So this kid hasn't even played in real games for over a year.

I'm sure he was playing but not at the competetive level that hes playing at now.

He might not of found his rhythm yet.

Even before sitting out last year he was considered to be really raw. Much of his HS career some viewed him as a severely undersized PF and it wasn't until he joined Bradley Beal's AAU team that he started emerging as a perimeter player.

I think Goodwin provides more of what the Suns are currently missing, but I'd be very happy with McLemore.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Portland beat Miami
Dallas beat Sacramento

Perfect night for us!

Teams we should root for:
Anyone that plays the Lakers
Portland
Houston
Utah
Minnesota

Orlando
Dallas
Toronto
New Orleans
Charlotte
Washington
Cleveland
Detroit

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Portland beat Miami
Dallas beat Sacramento

Perfect night for us!

Teams we should root for:
Anyone that plays the Lakers
Portland
Houston
Utah
Minnesota

Orlando
Dallas
Toronto
New Orleans
Charlotte
Washington
Cleveland
Detroit

This is the most excitement we've had all year! A top 3 pick and a late lottery pick would be awesome, too bad I have no faith in the people picking.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
LAL now five full games out of the 8th spot.

Which makes them as close the bottom of the Conference. It's nearly to the point that the Lakers not only have to have a massive turnaround but hope teams ahead of them have set backs.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Oh how sad it is to be a Suns fan nowadays :)

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake