Draft Pick Watch

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Oh how sad it is to be a Suns fan nowadays :)

But the funny thing is, if someone had told us in October that the Suns would be only 4 games behind the Lakers at this point in the season, my guess is that most of us would have been delighted.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Oh how sad it is to be a Suns fan nowadays :)

Well, this season so far has gone about as well as could be expected. It would be nice if any of our young players would have emerged and we'd still be losing, but on the bright side, we could have two top 13 picks.

It's at least something to hang your hat on.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We knew we had to have a season like this once Nash left. It was just inevitable regardless of all the "retool on the fly" talk from mgmt.

What I would like is for young players to get burn, like Johnson and Marshall.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
We knew we had to have a season like this once Nash left. It was just inevitable regardless of all the "retool on the fly" talk from mgmt.

What I would like is for young players to get burn, like Johnson and Marshall.

Throw in Morris and Beasley, and have those guys play the majority of the minutes. It would be far more productive to see if we have anything with any of these players.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Morris gets minutes. Beasley and Johnson already have years of NBA experience showing what kind of players they are, nothing is going to change with them the final down the stretch of this season.

I wouldn't mind seeing Marshall get more burn though.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Morris gets minutes. Beasley and Johnson already have years of NBA experience showing what kind of players they are, nothing is going to change with them the final down the stretch of this season.

I wouldn't mind seeing Marshall get more burn though.

Beasley had his chance here. Johnson has not. Give it to him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd start all the younger players, especially Beasley. I think it's too early to give up on Beasley or maybe too late to give up on him. I think it was a bad gamble to bring him in but given that he's here and we're going nowhere fast, I'd play him 35 minutes a game. We probably won't win another game this season doing this UNLESS the light comes on for him but as I've said several times before, what do we have to lose.

I still have trouble understanding why Beasley is the most physically gifted player on this team and yet, he's one of the worst players in the league. But play him anyway, give him time and give him confidence and leave him out there through the good and the bad.

Steve

Superbone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd start all the younger players, especially Beasley. I think it's too early to give up on Beasley or maybe too late to give up on him. I think it was a bad gamble to bring him in but given that he's here and we're going nowhere fast, I'd play him 35 minutes a game. We probably won't win another game this season doing this UNLESS the light comes on for him but as I've said several times before, what do we have to lose.

I still have trouble understanding why Beasley is the most physically gifted player on this team and yet, he's one of the worst players in the league. But play him anyway, give him time and give him confidence and leave him out there through the good and the bad.

Steve

When I read that, it doesn't sound so bad. But then I remember how frustrating it was to watch Beasley. Even with all the losing, I'd like to be able to get a little bit of enjoyment watching my team. Beasley would squash that.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Steve

As an article on brightside pointed out, the team loses accountability with current and future players by letting Beasley continue to play and undermine the team. You let a losing culture permeate a locker-room, especially by pushing guys who have been exposed as awful players, and its a very hard condition to remove.

If the Suns cant trade Beasley by the trade deadline then they should just waive him and use the stretch provision to limit the damage. And I am not saying that as "anti-Beas" hyperbole. There is no upside to letting players and personalities like that linger. If it becomes clear that you cant give them away then just release them.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If the Suns cant trade Beasley by the trade deadline then they should just waive him and use the stretch provision to limit the damage. And I am not saying that as "anti-Beas" hyperbole. There is no upside to letting players and personalities like that linger. If it becomes clear that you cant give them away then just release them.

Can't waive him with the stretch provision until the off-season and unlikely to be justifiable given the cap situation and available FA. Better to just ride out his deal another year, or if absolutely desperate waive him without the stretch provision.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As an article on brightside pointed out, the team loses accountability with current and future players by letting Beasley continue to play and undermine the team. You let a losing culture permeate a locker-room, especially by pushing guys who have been exposed as awful players, and its a very hard condition to remove.

The only thing that I would say is that the way we're currently using him is a blueprint for failure. At the start of the season his effort and his demeanor were much better and he even made a positive contribution every now and then. I'd be fine getting rid of him but putting him out there sporadically as we do now is not going to do anyone any good. Play him or make him disappear.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The main thing about Beasley, is not to buy him out this season or waive him. I do not want him joining the Lakers and possibly doing something with LA. After the season, the Suns should find a way not to bring him back.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The main thing about Beasley, is not to buy him out this season or waive him. I do not want him joining the Lakers and possibly doing something with LA. After the season, the Suns should find a way not to bring him back.

lol, Id LOVE to see him in a Laker uniform. Dumping gasoline on the flames.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I am in favor of waiving Beasley. Yes, its admitting a mistake, but its also declaring that hard work and dedication will be rewarded, and foolishness will not be tolerated.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can't waive him with the stretch provision until the off-season and unlikely to be justifiable given the cap situation and available FA. Better to just ride out his deal another year, or if absolutely desperate waive him without the stretch provision.

Ahh, then I'd just tell him to stay home for the rest of the year, then cut him after the season is over unless we could take someone into swapping an expiring. Someone out there probably is dumb enough to talk themselves into it this summer. I just hope we're smart enough to ask.

The only thing that I would say is that the way we're currently using him is a blueprint for failure. At the start of the season his effort and his demeanor were much better and he even made a positive contribution every now and then. I'd be fine getting rid of him but putting him out there sporadically as we do now is not going to do anyone any good. Play him or make him disappear.

Steve

I think we are seening a pretty rapid progression towards "disappear". It probably wont be to my prefered extent of "we will pay you to not come anymore" but tonight all he got was garbage time, he is racking up the DNPs. I'd expect that outside of garbage time Beasley sightings will be few and far between unless someone gets hurt... but sadly we do play a LOT of garbage time.

Do you think they would take back Shannon Brown, too?

If only. The Beasley/Brown combo probably playing center and PF for ol Mike D.

I am in favor of waiving Beasley. Yes, its admitting a mistake, but its also declaring that hard work and dedication will be rewarded, and foolishness will not be tolerated.

Exactly. I think at this point we are all ready to accept a season with lots of defeats; however, its one thing to lose while guys are still hustling and trying (which most guys appear to be doing)... and entirely another to go out there and play like an idiot and carry an expression like you dont give a rats ass... which is what the Beas is all about. I really do think that once a lot of guys start not giving a crap because they see that nothing they do matters in terms of success or even playing time, that it is a really hard mindset to remove from the team.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ahh, then I'd just tell him to stay home for the rest of the year, then cut him after the season is over unless we could take someone into swapping an expiring. Someone out there probably is dumb enough to talk themselves into it this summer. I just hope we're smart enough to ask.

I'm hopeful that Beasley can be moved for another contract that doesn't run past next year but I wouldn't count on it. I'd also be reluctant to waive him not using the stretch provision prior to the 2014 offseason because of the potential strength of that FA class and the fact the Suns could be in position to strike big depending on the next 2 drafts.

Here is a breakdown on how Beasley's contract will effect the cap depending on how and when he is waived(this assumes the final year is guaranteed for 3mil which is what I've seen it rumored to be but have not seen any confirmation).

Cap hits:

Waived not using stretch provision: 6m in 2013, 3m in 2014

Waived using stretch provision this year: 1.8m in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017

Waived next year with stretch(remains on roster nest season): 1m in 2014, 2015 and 2016.

If a lot of the 2014 FA extend this summer maybe waiving him outright could be a way to go, if not I'd probably wait because that extra 2m in space could be important.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm hopeful that Beasley can be moved for another contract that doesn't run past next year but I wouldn't count on it. I'd also be reluctant to waive him not using the stretch provision prior to the 2014 offseason because of the potential strength of that FA class and the fact the Suns could be in position to strike big depending on the next 2 drafts.

Here is a breakdown on how Beasley's contract will effect the cap depending on how and when he is waived(this assumes the final year is guaranteed for 3mil which is what I've seen it rumored to be but have not seen any confirmation).

Cap hits:

Waived not using stretch provision: 6m in 2013, 3m in 2014

Waived using stretch provision this year: 1.8m in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017

Waived next year with stretch(remains on roster nest season): 1m in 2014, 2015 and 2016.

If a lot of the 2014 FA extend this summer maybe waiving him outright could be a way to go, if not I'd probably wait because that extra 2m in space could be important.

Its certainly not a crippling contract, no matter how you look at it.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Its certainly not a crippling contract, no matter how you look at it.

The only saving grace of the signing and why I wasn't too upset even though I didn't want him.

Also why I blame the talent evaluation(Blanks) more than the financial side(Babby). The Suns signings under the current regime have been bad because of who they signed, many of the deals themselves have been more flexible than under previous FO personnel.

Had Beasley broken out like they thought, similar to Mayo, the Suns would be in a much stronger position going forward than the Mavs currently are in regards to Mayo. The problem was believing he was capable of that.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Had Beasley broken out like they thought, similar to Mayo, the Suns would be in a much stronger position going forward than the Mavs currently are in regards to Mayo. The problem was believing he was capable of that.

The problem in part is the Mavs are putting Mayo in a position to succeed. The Suns aren't doing the same w/ B-easy. As soon as they got Scola, we all should've known Beasley would struggle.

Beasely needs to play the 4 to succeed. When he plays the 3 he hangs around the mid range too much and is taking long/difficult shots that are still only worth 2 points. I think the best situation for Beasely is to be at the 4, using his quickness to beat people. Obviously, he's undersized and might hurt the team defensively and rebounding, which is why if he's a Starter, he'd be best next to a very large/dominant type C (ie Dwight). Or he could play the 4 off the bench and be the go to guy in a 2nd unit, but the Suns haven't even tried that much.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok. Portland is winning at a .556 clip. If .556 is the winning percentage it will take to get into the playoffs, rounding down, it will take 45 wins.

The Lakers will have to go 31-15 from this point to get there. That's if the teams in the 5-8 slots don't melt down.

BTW, nbadraft.net is showing the Laker's pick in the lottery and belonging to the Suns. Nothing we didn't know already, but a week ago they were still showing it as belonging to the Lakers.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The problem in part is the Mavs are putting Mayo in a position to succeed. The Suns aren't doing the same w/ B-easy. As soon as they got Scola, we all should've known Beasley would struggle.

Beasely needs to play the 4 to succeed. When he plays the 3 he hangs around the mid range too much and is taking long/difficult shots that are still only worth 2 points. I think the best situation for Beasely is to be at the 4, using his quickness to beat people. Obviously, he's undersized and might hurt the team defensively and rebounding, which is why if he's a Starter, he'd be best next to a very large/dominant type C (ie Dwight). Or he could play the 4 off the bench and be the go to guy in a 2nd unit, but the Suns haven't even tried that much.

Beasley has played the 4 plenty in his career. He is horrible at the position. An even bigger liability defensively there than at the 3. Its impossible to be a viable interior player if you avoid contact, dont rebound, dont defend and prefer to take your shots from 16 feet or further, not to mention he is undersized in both height and strength to play the 4.

He has been given every opportunity to succeed and he has failed because he is not a good player. He has regressed since entering the league because he is both lazy and stupid. Its very hard to imagine a player with his personality traits ever improving. It was absolutely idiotic to sign him, especially to a 3 year deal.

Superbone

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Are you kidding me?! That would be the greatest trojan horse of all time! Beasley does not help a team. He ruins them. Lakers, PLEASE take Beasley.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Beasley has played the 4 plenty in his career. He is horrible at the position. An even bigger liability defensively there than at the 3. Its impossible to be a viable interior player if you avoid contact, dont rebound, dont defend and prefer to take your shots from 16 feet or further, not to mention he is undersized in both height and strength to play the 4.

Really? When he was getting some minutes at the 4 in Miami and Minny he was doing between 15-19ppg, and getting 6rpg or so. Its not what you want from a #2 pick, but its far from terrible.

Here's a good article on why he might thrive at the 4:

http://weaksideawareness.wordpress.com/2012/07/05/why-michael-beasley-failed-and-can-he-bounce-back/

So far this is Beasley's worst year by far, so that should tell us the Suns are using him wrong in some way.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake