Draft Pick Watch

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Bill Simmons tonight:

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons
Rockets look like they've hit the wall - especially James Harden. Can't believe the Lakers are gonna sneak into the playoffs.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Lakers need a comeback to beat the Raptors.

Just because Houston is falling apart maybe does not mean the Lakers are in.

The Lakers will be in a dogfight with Dallas, Houston, Portland and Utah for the last 2 spots.

it's unfortunate that Houston, Portland and Minnesota are falling apart at the same time.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Lakers just cut Toronto's lead from 19 down to 10 in a span of about three minutes. Go Raptors, rip 'em up!

Errntknght

Reaction score
Down to 7 with 2:50 to go. And Earl Clark is playing a heck of a game - Gasol started but Howard has been ineffective so he's sitting and Clark is playing.

Errntknght

Reaction score
105-97 Raptors with :58 remaining... looks like they will hold on

Howard sitting because he was ejected with 2 techs

Errntknght

Reaction score
Lakers lose! Thanks Toronto.

This one game won't kill the Lakers chances but it did figure to be one of their easier wins so it was definitely a kick in the head.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers lose! Thanks Toronto.

This one game won't kill the Lakers chances but it did figure to be one of their easier wins so it was definitely a kick in the head.

yup. @Chicago, @Memphis, Utah, OKC coming up... they lose three of four there and that puts them at 8 games under .500 going into February. If the West was as tough as it has been the last couple years, they'd be DEAD, but the 7-8 seeded teams are still very young and i can't see them matching that 47 win average for the 8 seed like it has been for the last 5 years.

but... this is definitely now something to watch.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It's worth pointing out that the current #8 seed (Portland or Houston) is only .500, not several games over. 41 or 42 wins might be enough to get in, which makes the Lakers' challenge look a lot less intimidating. For what it's worth, Hollinger projects (before today's games) that 42 wins will get the #8 spot.

It's still very unlikely that the Lakers miss out.

Errntknght

Reaction score
They caught a Hell of break with the simultaneous collapse of Portland and Houston. The Lakers didn't gain a lot of ground on them but what they did gain was Earl Clark suddenly becoming a contributor and applying a little pressure to Gasol - who seems to responding positively. And D'Antoni is talking about defense, asking for more of it from Kobe???

Still Kobe is getting weary and there's always potential for drama with the Lakers. If the next four games go as expected - losing to Bulls and Grizz on the road, beating Utah at home then losing to OKC that will have to be disheartening, facing as they do a six game road trip after a breather against NO. (We could help our cause a good bit by ambushing them to start the road trip.)

I wouldn't go so far as to say they're very likely to make the playoffs but I don't think I'd take an even money bet against them... a few games from now I might change my mind in one direction or the other.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's worth pointing out that the current #8 seed (Portland or Houston) is only .500, not several games over. 41 or 42 wins might be enough to get in, which makes the Lakers' challenge look a lot less intimidating. For what it's worth, Hollinger projects (before today's games) that 42 wins will get the #8 spot.

It's still very unlikely that the Lakers miss out.

yup. I made that point above. everyone keeps touting this "48 win" threshold... without taking into consideration the reality that the West isn't what it was this year and that the 8 seed is probably gonna be someone who's around .500. Not to mention, Houston and Portland are both VERY young and very young teams are prone to hot starts and fizzing out and I still will be pretty surprised if the Lakers don't squeeze in there as the 8 seed.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
yup. I made that point above. everyone keeps touting this "48 win" threshold... without taking into consideration the reality that the West isn't what it was this year and that the 8 seed is probably gonna be someone who's around .500. Not to mention, Houston and Portland are both VERY young and very young teams are prone to hot starts and fizzing out and I still will be pretty surprised if the Lakers don't squeeze in there as the 8 seed.

The Mavs have started to play better and are more of a threat than the Lakers right now for the final spot imo. Of the teams battling for the 8th spot the Lakers have the most road games remaining and the worst road record thus far.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers made the playoffs, but at this point I think it's more likely they don't.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Mavs have started to play better and are more of a threat than the Lakers right now for the final spot imo. Of the teams battling for the 8th spot the Lakers have the most road games remaining and the worst road record thus far.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers made the playoffs, but at this point I think it's more likely they don't.

yeah... the Mavs are probably their biggest threat to get that 8 seed. They have a better coach and if Dirk can round into form, I can see them playing decent ball. I just don't have a lot of faith that those other teams ahead of the Lakers really pose a threat. They've played above their heads up till this point, the Lakers have been horrendous... and yet the Lakers are still just three games out of the playoffs.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
yeah... the Mavs are probably their biggest threat to get that 8 seed. They have a better coach and if Dirk can round into form, I can see them playing decent ball. I just don't have a lot of faith that those other teams ahead of the Lakers really pose a threat. They've played above their heads up till this point, the Lakers have been horrendous... and yet the Lakers are still just three games out of the playoffs.

If Portland can make a move to construct any semblence of a bench then they would be a real threat. Houston could probably make a move for depth too but I think they would be better served to sit tight and wait for some of the younger guys to develop.

Its a shame what happened to the Wolves. If they had stayed even reasonably healthy thats a 50 win team.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Lakers still have a pretty fair chance to make the playoffs assuming they avoid any more injury problems. But, one key injury, even for just a few games, could potentially knock them out of contention. Right now, they are the bottom team of a group of 6 that are fighting for two spots. Even the annual wearing-down-of-the-Nash could doom their year. If it hadn't been for the fact that Steve got to take off the early part of the season, I'd be confident they'd eventually go down with him.

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think the Lakers still have a pretty fair chance to make the playoffs assuming they avoid any more injury problems. But, one key injury, even for just a few games, could potentially knock them out of contention. Right now, they are the bottom team of a group of 6 that are fighting for two spots. Even the annual wearing-down-of-the-Nash could doom their year. If it hadn't been for the fact that Steve got to take off the early part of the season, I'd be confident they'd eventually go down with him.

Steve
Not to mention that it's in Stern's best interests for the Lakers be in the post season. Of course, this year it could be the Clippers fulfilling that L.A. Staples Center dream.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Lakers lose to a Bulls team minus Deng that has been pretty mediocre at home. Even with a lower win projection for the final playoff spot it's getting harder and harder to imagine they'll right the ship.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Lakers lose to a Bulls team minus Deng that has been pretty mediocre at home. Even with a lower win projection for the final playoff spot it's getting harder and harder to imagine they'll right the ship.

I agree that tonight's loss was a tough blow for them. At some point, they'll have to score a couple of big upsets, in addition to winning the games they're supposed to (which isn't happening yet).

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I agree that tonight's loss was a tough blow for them. At some point, they'll have to score a couple of big upsets, in addition to winning the games they're supposed to (which isn't happening yet).

They'll also need to hope other teams continue to struggle. It will be interesting to see how the teams battling for positioning gear up as we approach the trade deadline.

I'd expect the Lakers would like to move Pau given his recent demotion but they haven't really had a seamless transition integrating players on their roster thus far.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They'll also need to hope other teams continue to struggle. It will be interesting to see how the teams battling for positioning gear up as we approach the trade deadline.

I'd expect the Lakers would like to move Pau given his recent demotion but they haven't really had a seamless transition integrating players on their roster thus far.

Dallas really could be the big fly in the Lakers ointment. I do believe that Portland and Houston will crumble as the season goes on, but Dallas is just getting healthy and starting to play good ball. They might just rise up and make any Laker late season run (if it happens) moot.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Lakers next 3 games are @Memphis, vs Utah, vs OKC. They can be 10 games under .500 with 38 games to play if they drop all 3.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I think you guys are right about Dallas. They have a reasonably easy schedule the rest of the way. They have four more home games than away, the only EC teams with any strength they play on the road are Brooklyn, Atlanta and Milwaukee... Atlanta is tumbling, too. They have two games against most WC teams but only one against the Clips and Utah. They have three games against us, New Orleans and Portland - thats about as favorable a second half as you could hope for.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The Suns goal should be to beat the Lakers three more times this season and lose the rest of the games.

-> Top 3 pick + top 10 pick

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
I would love the Suns to draft Ben McLemore and Michael Carter Williams.

Athletic wing that can shoot, 6-7 athletic PG with vision that has room for improvement on his jumper.

Those two would be solid building blocks while we waited for a veteran big to hit FA.

MCW/Dragic/Telfair
Ben McLemore/Brown
Wesley Johnson/Tucker/Dudley
Morris/Beasley
FA/Scola

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake