Draft Prospects thread

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
It's a matter of preference, really. Noah is longer and taller than Horford, but Horford is just as good as Noah at putting the ball on the floor, he's a better athlete, stronger, and, unlike Noah, shows signs of a promising post game and mid range jumper. He already has a lethal spin move that he uses to get by his defender at will, and his jump shot, while inconsistent, has very good form and is much improved over last season. He even drew Karl Malone comparisons from some scouts in the offseason. That doesn't mean he'll be a Karl Malone, but he has the same type of game as the Mailman.

Horford's rebounding, defense, and ability to run the floor, on top of his promising, yet developing post game, should firmly entrench him into a top 7 pick, and he could go top 5 depending on how workouts go. I can tell you that his game against Oden while playing on a hobbled foot really helped his stock, though. I was at that game and sitting next to some of the scouts... they were thoroughly impressed.

Again, it's a matter of preference. Noah's probably a slightly better player for the Suns' system, and will be a good pro himself. I think Horford, though, could eventually develop into an NBA All-Star, I really do. He's got all the tools, and is a very smart player.
Post more often:thumbup:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i know you're a big fan russ, but i gotta say, i also don't fully understand the overwhelming love for kevin love. i've watched him play 3 games now, and i think he's rather pedestrian, it's just that he's playing against kids that either much smaller than him, or they're oafs. i have yet to see him play against someone with any athleticism. i could be way off, but i'll be surprised if love is a great impact player. he reminds me too much of that kid who was highly rated outta utah that went to duke and never really saw the light of day (burgess maybe?).

Chris Burgess? Could be. I don't know if you read the college sports forum. Over the weekend Love played against Mater Dei of So Cal. They're a powerhouse, they have a 7 footer going to UA( a stiff Alex Jacobsen), 2 6'10" sophs(the Wear twins) being recruited by everyone(good not great players IMHO), a 6'8" UCLA is recruiting (in addition to the twins) and Taylor King a 6'7" senior going to duke(reneged on UCLA).

Love is the only kid on his team over 6'2" and he put up 36, 16 and 4 blocks. And he was sick, reportedly with a 103 temp(although I am skeptical of that temp reading). He's not a great athlete but he's so skilled, such good footwork, touch, can shoot with either hand etc.

We won't know until next year but HOwland is on record he'll average a double double as a freshman. Oden said Love was the best bigman he played against in HS or AAU. Lorenzo Romar told Marques Johnson earlier this year "Kevin Love is already better than Spencer Hawes", interesting thing to say about a kid that's on your own team? After Love made his official recruiting trip to UNC, one of the players on the UNC team said he played some pickup ball on campus with the team and "he could start for anybody in the ACC right now." Howland said he could have started for UCLA when he was 15(of course Mike Fey was the starter that year).

This weekend was the first full game I've seen live(on tv) as opposed to tape on the internet. I was always afraid of his release, he shoots the ball from a low release point which I thought works against small guys but won't in college. THe Mater Dei game convinced me not such a big issue, he had a much higher release because he had to, and still they couldn't stop him.

Not going to put up Durant numbers of course you can't do that in Howland's system.

But the thing I tell myself is the one thing UCLA lacks this year and last is low post scoring, so Love's impact will be HUGE, even if he just puts up 15 points and 8 boards.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Chris Burgess? Could be. I don't know if you read the college sports forum. Over the weekend Love played against Mater Dei of So Cal. They're a powerhouse, they have a 7 footer going to UA( a stiff Alex Jacobsen), 2 6'10" sophs(the Wear twins) being recruited by everyone(good not great players IMHO), a 6'8" UCLA is recruiting (in addition to the twins) and Taylor King a 6'7" senior going to duke(reneged on UCLA).

Love is the only kid on his team over 6'2" and he put up 36, 16 and 4 blocks. And he was sick, reportedly with a 103 temp(although I am skeptical of that temp reading). He's not a great athlete but he's so skilled, such good footwork, touch, can shoot with either hand etc.

We won't know until next year but HOwland is on record he'll average a double double as a freshman. Oden said Love was the best bigman he played against in HS or AAU. Lorenzo Romar told Marques Johnson earlier this year "Kevin Love is already better than Spencer Hawes", interesting thing to say about a kid that's on your own team? After Love made his official recruiting trip to UNC, one of the players on the UNC team said he played some pickup ball on campus with the team and "he could start for anybody in the ACC right now." Howland said he could have started for UCLA when he was 15(of course Mike Fey was the starter that year).

This weekend was the first full game I've seen live(on tv) as opposed to tape on the internet. I was always afraid of his release, he shoots the ball from a low release point which I thought works against small guys but won't in college. THe Mater Dei game convinced me not such a big issue, he had a much higher release because he had to, and still they couldn't stop him.

Not going to put up Durant numbers of course you can't do that in Howland's system.

But the thing I tell myself is the one thing UCLA lacks this year and last is low post scoring, so Love's impact will be HUGE, even if he just puts up 15 points and 8 boards.

hmm, good information. of course, i'd expect howland to make those statements. oden's comment is impressive though. i'll be interested to see what he produces next year. given the fact that ucla really doesn't have a post presence i could see him getting enough shots to throw up the 15 and 8.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmm, good information. of course, i'd expect howland to make those statements. oden's comment is impressive though. i'll be interested to see what he produces next year. given the fact that ucla really doesn't have a post presence i could see him getting enough shots to throw up the 15 and 8.

Yep, as a pro prospect I'd agree overrated, probably a PF and while a good prospect not in the same breath as say Mayo who I believe is clearly the #1 prospect in the class. Many say Kyle Singler is the best senior in Oregon not Love(Singler going to Duke). Love's a lot like Sean May, I just think much further along in his development than May was(he was really out of shape when he arrived at UNC).

Derrick Rose many rate close to Mayo but I've seen him play and he's not a good shooter at all, great player, but he can't shoot a jumper. Beasley going to K State is the kid I want to see, haven't seen much of him at all I've heard he's really good but I have only seen a few clips of him dunking etc. I've heard Derrick Coleman comparison on him but probably because he's left handed?

Last edited:

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Just a question, but if ATL keeps winning at a pace that pushes their pick back a bit more, do we start looking at Al Thornton?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Just a question, but if ATL keeps winning at a pace that pushes their pick back a bit more, do we start looking at Al Thornton?

i was actually hoping for thornton at the cavs pick, but with the way his stock is rising and the way the hawks pick is falling we might have to consider thornton or brewer (both of whom i hoped to get with our later picks).

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know. I like the idea of Nick Young from USC. The guy can flat out shoot!

That was another guy I was going to mention but not clear if he'll come out. After last year he said he was going out. He and Farmar were on the same AAU team, played for different HS teams. They became friendly rivals, Farmar helped him pass the SAT to get into USC. He said with Farmar going out the rivalry was on hold, and he couldn't wait to go pro and renew the rivalry.

But a few months ago he said he and Pruitt have talked about staying at USC to play with OJ Mayo next year. Young has a little Vince Carter in him, same ability to elevate and lean back and get his shot off. Needs to improve his ballhandling but he's MASSIVELY improved his shot this year. He hit some 3's late in the game yesterday that were really tough to believe, hand in face stuff.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
DraftExpress has a solid draft for us right now: Horford, Bellinelli, and McGuire. If the Hawks continue doing well that really doesn't sound like a bad draft especially considering the relative upsides of Horford and McGuire. From the sounds of it McGuire might not fit the character profile but there's nothing suggesting Horford wouldn't. If Belinelli really could be another Brent Barry (young) I'd be enthusiastic about drafting him. Brent Barry was one of the FA signings I wish we had made.

At this point, seeing us get beaten by youngsters on the Hawks and to a lesser extent the Bulls, I really hope we take stock in our situation and invest in some young talent with upside. In this respect I think signing Boris and Leandro to extensions was the right thing to do.

Last edited:

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
i was actually hoping for thornton at the cavs pick, but with the way his stock is rising and the way the hawks pick is falling we might have to consider thornton or brewer (both of whom i hoped to get with our later picks).

Why do you want a tweener forward for the Suns(Thornton)?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Why do you want a tweener forward for the Suns(Thornton)?

b/c as a tweener i know he'd get burn in coach d's system. he could play that undersized pf that runs the floor and scores in transition while still pulling down boards that marion plays.

we're likely to have to start making changes given our pending cap sitch. i still see marion as the likely casualty. thornton may replace some of what marion provides.

also, i'm talking about wanting thornton with a pick that i think will be in the teens. i'd never take him with a top 10 pick.

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
The concern I have with Thorton, is that, unlike Marion, he has not shown himself to be a great rebounder. At the most he has averaged 6.5 as a collegiate. You'd think he would grab more. I do agree he would seem a logical fit in the system. You have to love his shooting percentages.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The concern I have with Thorton, is that, unlike Marion, he has not shown himself to be a great rebounder. At the most he has averaged 6.5 as a collegiate. You'd think he would grab more. I do agree he would seem a logical fit in the system. You have to love his shotting percentages.

averaging 6.7 this year and 6.9 last year. not stellar, but not terrible. he's shot around .520 or above his entire career. he's a good ft shooter (over 80% this year) and both last year and this he's shooting 40+% from 3 land.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone out there think that the Bobcats or Sixers are doing poorly enough in rebuilding that they'd trade their respective doubles for our triple selection? I'm hoping Griffin is already concocting strategies to help D'A make this a better draft.

I think my favorite thing DraftExpress had to say about Thornton was that he hasn't hit his ceiling yet and yet he's made good strides through his college career. His shooting percentages are phenomenal. I guess I was blindly hoping the Suns would draft a good big and move Amare to PF for a few minutes a game, so I wasn't really thinking about the type of player that really would get time in D'As system.

I agree with those that say we shouldn't draft out of need but I still think we should draft a big because there are so many quality bigs to be had with the ATL pick or if (crossing fingers) we could trade up to get one of the proven quality bigs. I don't think I've ever been this excited about a draft (granted I have only been paying attention to the offseason for 4 or 5 years now.)

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
I really like Acie Law IV. He has played really well this year and is considered to be a mid to late lottery pick. If the Suns could package together the latter two of their first-rounders this year, they might be able to grab him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like Acie Law IV. He has played really well this year and is considered to be a mid to late lottery pick. If the Suns could package together the latter two of their first-rounders this year, they might be able to grab him.

Law is the best guard UCLA has played against this year, IMHO not even close.

I knew he was good but he surprised me by blowing past both Collison and Afflalo more than once. The only other guard this year that's been able to do that is Aaron Brooks but Law is a lot bigger and stronger than Brooks is.

He's also a very good defender and seems to be a very tough kid. They said when Gillespie first took over law wasn't happy but he stuck it out, bought in, and is now flourishing.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know why Budinger only scored 4 points against Oregon the first time and 30 the next? Is he THAT motivated? Also, has that friend of his already signed a letter of intent with Arizona (thus keeping him out of this coming draft)? He seems like a good player even though his scoring numbers look erratic (I know, he's only a teenager.)

I've read good things about Herbert Hill and Acie Law having much better seasons on their senior outing. Is this common? Do college players have a sharper learning curve in the last years? Even though their "upsides" aren't proclaimed from rooftops I'd be much more comfortable if we drafter somebody that has shown improvement rather than merely potential. It's been frustrating to see LB struggle until this year because of his relative inexperience when drafted. I guess I'm just hoping we come away with a couple rookies for next season and that they not be buried on the bench due to development.

Last edited:

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I really doubt that he stays in school for one more year.
Father says Durant may stay at Texas

By Chip Brown

The Dallas Morning News

(MCT)

AUSTIN, Texas - The father of Texas freshman Kevin Durant said Wednesday it's not a slam dunk that Durant will turn pro after this season.

"There's a chance he would come back to Texas next year," said Durant's father, Wayne Pratt. "Kevin is so young. There's not a rush for him to go to the NBA. Right now, we're not even talking about that. We're talking about winning the Big 12, and Kevin continuing to progress academically."

Durant, the Big 12's leading scorer (24.9 ppg) and rebounder (11.4 rpg), is tired of questions about whether he'll jump to the NBA after this season. He doesn't answer them anymore because he said it draws attention away from his teammates.

"Right now, I'm trying to win games at Texas," Durant said. "That's all I'm thinking about."

Pratt, a police officer at the Library of Congress in Washington D.C., said just because Kevin could be the first or second pick in this year's draft doesn't mean he'll turn pro.

"There's certain things that Kevin has to show and do before that decision is made, and we still have some things we need to see," Pratt said.

When asked about the goals Kevin needs to reach, Pratt is quick to point out that Kevin only turned 18 in September.

"It's a total thing - mentally, physically, all those things have to be intact before a decision can be made," Pratt said. "My wife and I have pretty good jobs. There's no rush for him to go to the NBA."

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wouldn't call Thornton a tweener. He is an athletic SF who scores rather from around the basket. His rebounding numbers aren't fantastic but he will be an above average rebounder even in NBA, IMO, due his excellent leaping and timing.

He has good post-up moves and a solid touch from inside. Although he is not hopeless from outside his 3P-shooting (especially from NBA-range) and dribbling/ball-handling definitely needs to be improving.

Above average defender, doesn't force things, tough guy, good competitor. He is some kind of mix of Travis Outlaw and Danny Granger.

He would be a big-time steal with CLE's pick but won't be avalaible there.

Acie Law seems to be a talented and matured PG, good shooter, definitely a 1st rounder. I wouldn't mind having him either with Cavs' pick.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think we need a PG and PF in this years draft, no swingman. If we can get Noah at 4 and Law in the draft then I will be happy. Utah, New Orleans, Charlotte are fortunate to have three of the top young PG's in the game. These three can create for themselves and for teammates, Utah will be tough for the next few years with their combo of Williams and Boozer.

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
One sleeper that I've seen a couple times and really like is Darnell Arthur out of Kansas. I'm not sure he'd even cokme out this year, but if he does he is someone the Suns should look at.

He's mobile, has a nice face-up game, and reminds me alot of Jermaine O'Neal minus a couple inches.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
One sleeper that I've seen a couple times and really like is Darnell Arthur out of Kansas. I'm not sure he'd even cokme out this year, but if he does he is someone the Suns should look at.

He's mobile, has a nice face-up game, and reminds me alot of Jermaine O'Neal minus a couple inches.

It's actually Darrell Arthur, was highly recruited by U of A, I've read he is still raw offensively but is a great rebounder/defender.

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't remember which it was.

From what I've seen he isn't nearly as raw offensively as has been said. Good stroke from 16 in or so and a hook he has a little confidence in.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Arthur isn't raw offensively. He is not only quite skilled at the offensive end but also surprisingly matured despite being just a freshman.

He is just an average rebounder in NCAA, but he has the potential one day to become a decent one in NBA.

Arthur reminds me of a more skinny version of David West.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05