Draft Prospects thread

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Arthur isn't raw offensively. He is not only quite skilled at the offensive end but also surprisingly matured despite being just a freshman.

He is just an average rebounder in NCAA, but he has the potential one day to become a decent one in NBA.

Arthur reminds me of a more skinny version of David West.

Ok I've been racking my brains and the only West I can think of is Mark, so who is David? Also I don't think Arthur is much of a sleeper as he's already ranked out of the Cleveland pick's reach.

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
I think that if Arthur comes out, a big if, he will go somewhere late lottery/mid-first round and be a steal for someone in 3 years.

As for David West he plays for the Hornets and went to Xavier. West has a nice shot but I think of him as more of a bruiser than Arthur.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think that if Arthur comes out, a big if, he will go somewhere late lottery/mid-first round and be a steal for someone in 3 years.

As for David West he plays for the Hornets and went to Xavier. West has a nice shot but I think of him as more of a bruiser than Arthur.
I agree that Arthur may easily become a lottery pick.

Yes, West is more of a bruiser that's why I wrote a more skinny version of West.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
What does everyone think of McRoberts? I read he lost a lot of his athleticism, or is at least playing more gingerly, since an offseason back surgery.

cly2tw

Reaction score
What does everyone think of McRoberts? I read he lost a lot of his athleticism, or is at least playing more gingerly, since an offseason back surgery.

he seems to be a smart player but I doubt he'd achieve much in the NBA. Stay away from him!

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
Josh McRoberts is an interesting prospect. He has everything you'd want in a basketball player, especially someone for the Suns. He has range extending to the college three, rebounds, passes very well, and will finish around the rim. Athletically, he is a good leaper, but not great laterally.

Sounds great, but from everything I have seen from him the sum does not equal the parts. I wouldn't draft him.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
I'm interested in Hansbrough, too. Doesn't have Nick Collison's size but the whole superb fundamentals, tenacious scorer reputation is intriguing. I'm just going off DX's comparison of course as I haven't seen HAnsbrough play. I have, however, seen Collison tear us up and keep with the pace well. I guess hte moderately disappointing scenario would be a Malik Rose comparison from the sounds of it (undersized but active).

Last edited:

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I also compared Hansbrough to Collison but watching Hansbrough this season even more, I'm starting to think that's a little bit generous for Hansbrough.

He has the same size as Collison but Collison had more post moves and a better mid-range J.

McRoberts is underachieving a bit this year, but he is athletic and versatile. He reminds me of a young Tom Gugliotta. If ATL's pick will be at #6-10, I wouldn't mind him with it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I also compared Hansbrough to Collison but watching Hansbrough this season even more, I'm starting to think that's a little bit generous for Hansbrough.

He has the same size as Collison but Collison had more post moves and a better mid-range J.

McRoberts is underachieving a bit this year, but he is athletic and versatile. He reminds me of a young Tom Gugliotta. If ATL's pick will be at #6-10, I wouldn't mind him with it.

i loved mcroberts coming outta college. i thought he looked like he had "it" last season. at the beginning of this season i'd have been happy with him as the selection. now, midway through the year if we drafted him i'd puke. he has all the physical attributes, but none of the mental toughness necessary for the game. this weakened duke team needed him to step forward as a leader and a scorer and he's wilted under both categories. y'all complain about diaw being unaggressive? mcroberts makes diaw look like genghis khan. googs was far more accomplished in college.

as for hansbrough . . . no way he can play with these suns. he'd routinely get left in the dust. it was happening to him in some of the earlier games with unc this season as their influx of young talent is all long and fast. it took a concerted effort on williams' part to get them to slow the pace a bit to incorporate hansbrough. he's tough, but he's not athletic enough or versatile enough for the suns' system.

now brenden wright . . . whooo!

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One person that I really think that could be a steal of this draft is Jeremy Hunt(Memphis). Jeremy’s defense(right now) is better than Raja Bell’s, but his shot is about as streaky as Quentin Richardson's.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
McRoberts is McWeak. He'd be a good choice in the teens, but if you are drafting in the Top 10 (especially this year) then you want an impact player. Neither Hansborough or McRoberts will ever be that.

Knowing how Sarvers mind works, I can see us taking Yi Jianlian just so the Suns could get the added TV revenue from China picking up all of our games. He's not a bad prospect so I wouldn't be pissed, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were other motives.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Knowing how Sarvers mind works, I can see us taking Yi Jianlian just so the Suns could get the added TV revenue from China picking up all of our games. He's not a bad prospect so I wouldn't be pissed, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were other motives.

Has anyone heard anything about the learning curve on this kid?

Also, thank you Ouchie for the analysis on HAnsbrough. Knowing he's slow (which isn't really brought out by the profiles) is a killer to my particular zeal.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It is often hard to get useful data from draft profiles because they are written by different guys at different times. To make matters worse, the stuff that matters to the Suns is often not highlighted.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything about the learning curve on this kid?

Also, thank you Ouchie for the analysis on HAnsbrough. Knowing he's slow (which isn't really brought out by the profiles) is a killer to my particular zeal.

my pleasure. due to our hawks pick i've paid particular attention to certain college teams this year. i've kept my eye on the heels games for brenden wright, the duke games early b/c of my earlier thoughts on mcroberts (no longer a consideration imho), the kansas games for julian wright, the FLA games for noah, horford, and brewer (who i still love) and even taureen green who i think may be a second round find. i've also been keeping an eye on acie law as i think he may be a good cleveland selection.

on another note, i can't believe marcus williams is declaring from u of a. that kid is making a mistake. i think he'll be a second rounder. he's not tough. he's not that athletic. he's not a tremendous shooter. he's not a hustler. he didn't improve from last season. where does he play in the nba? not a good enough handle/shot for sg, he'll get bullied by most sf's and any power players will eat him for lunch. i mean, it's not even like he played with a great team or turned into a team leader. he played on an underachieving u of a team and provided no leadership. huge mistake. dude should have stayed 4 years and gotten his diploma and then STILL got drafted in the second round and ended up playing in europe, which is what is going to happen to him anyway, just taking away two fun-filled years of college and the education and diploma now.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I agree about Williams.

Whenever I saw him play I never could figure out what is so special about him.

He is the second coming of John Salmons. A solid all-around benchplayer.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I agree about Williams.

Whenever I saw him play I never could figure out what is so special about him.

He is the second coming of John Salmons. A solid all-around benchplayer.
Salmons was a first-round pick, though. I'm not sure I like the comp, either--Salmons was a combo guard coming out of school, while Williams is more of a pure small forward.

I'm the original Giraffe Neck skeptic (or thought I was, at least) but I think he can stick around in the league for a while. Once he extends his range, he'll be a starving man's Caron Butler.

Hansborough reminds me of Mark Madsen; Mad Dog was a solid interior scorer back at Stanford. I don't think it's unreasonable to compare him to Collison, though--it's not as though Collison is posting up all the time at Seattle. He makes his bones through activity and garbage buckets, just as Hansborough would be expected to.

As Atlanta improves, I think Tiago Splitter becomes more of a possibility with that pick. The Suns had better be damn sure he's coming over before they draft him, though.

I can see the Suns keeping one of their late picks and hoping for one of the Euro shooting guards (Fernandez or Belinelli) to drop. Then, after both are taken, they'll spend the rest of draft day frantically calling around, trying to dump the pick...:rolleyes:

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score

I was just looking at some film on this kid, and being a 7 foot chinese guy, I was skeptible about his spped (thinking of the Suns game). After watching the tapes, I think he would do very well in a Suns uni. I'm not sold on Noah, like many Suns posters on different web sites. He seems to out of control and seems to get frustrated VERY easily when his hot isn't going well or gets a physical defender on him. If the Suns keep the picks they have without any moves, I'd love to see the following.

For the Suns, with the Hawks pick, In order of preference....Durant, Jianlian, Oden, either of the Wrights, Horford, or Thabeet.

With the Cavs pick, again in order of preference....Fernandez, Cook, Almond, Splitter, Fazekas.

With our own pick.....ANYONE but Gasol. The boy is 7ft and only gets 5 rbs a game, and has no post moves to speak of.

In all honesty, I think the Suns do some dealing during the draft. If the Hawks pick ends up being in the 4-7 range, I think they keep it and go best available Big. With the Cavs and Suns pick, I think Kt, James Jones and Banks along with picks are moved to get up and get Law. The Suns need for a big out does their need for a PG, therefore the Suns going big with the Hawks pick, but Law won't be there for the Cavs pick. Law will be targeted by all teams that want to try and duplicate the Suns style of play or drastically need a great PG (Clippers, Wolves, Pistons, 76ers, Miami). If the Hawks pick is 5-9 and the Grizzlies end up with the 2nd pick, Maybe they might be interested in a trade of something like the Hawks pick, KT, and James Jones for #2 to get Durant for the Suns, then they could grab Law with the Hawks pick.

Hugh D'Man

Veteran
Reaction score
"......and the Grizzlies end up with the 2nd pick, Maybe they might be interested in a trade of something like the Hawks pick, KT, and James Jones for #2 to get Durant for the Suns, then they could grab Law with the Hawks pick."

and then Jerry West gets run outta town with a rack of ribs up his wazzoo, no sauce.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
"......and the Grizzlies end up with the 2nd pick, Maybe they might be interested in a trade of something like the Hawks pick, KT, and James Jones for #2 to get Durant for the Suns, then they could grab Law with the Hawks pick."

and then Jerry West gets run outta town with a rack of ribs up his wazzoo, no sauce.

lol. it's funny 'cuz it's true.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
For the Suns, with the Hawks pick, In order of preference....Durant, Jianlian, Oden, either of the Wrights, Horford, or Thabeet.

i just want to make certain i am reading this correctly . . . you PREFER jianlian over ODEN? i got that? and you'd prefer julian wright over al horford? and you'd add thabeet to THIS squad?

you lost me three times in a single sentence. wow.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Right now Thabeet seems to be a huge bust. He definitely needs to stay at UConn.

With the Cavs pick, again in order of preference....Fernandez, Cook, Almond, Splitter, Fazekas.
Cook is athletic and talented but he is far away from being a contributor in the NBA. He is definitely the weakest link of Ohio State's best 6-7 players. I really doubt that he will declare this year.

With our own pick.....ANYONE but Gasol. The boy is 7ft and only gets 5 rbs a game, and has no post moves to speak of.
Don't be afraid of Gasol. He is so terrible that noone will draft him. Maybe not even the Warriors...

Law will be targeted by all teams that want to try and duplicate the Suns style of play or drastically need a great PG (Clippers, Wolves, Pistons, 76ers, Miami).
However I doubt that the abovementioned teams want to try and duplicate Suns style, I agree that Law would be a great fit for them.

Law is not really a run-and-gun PG. He is a solid, matured PG ala Billups who can easily run the team and shoot 3's or make an easy lay-up if it's possible. He is clutch and a solid defender too.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Law is a clutch shooter. He made the game winning 3 against Kansas and he hit the 3 against Texas last night to force the first overtime.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Law is a clutch shooter. He made the game winning 3 against Kansas and he hit the 3 against Texas last night to force the first overtime.

I am sold on Acie Law. He is projected to go in the 14-18 range. We might have to package the two lower picks (which we want to do anyway) to get him.

If the Atlanta pick ends up 7 or 8 and Noah is gone, would it be worth it to trade down to get him? I wouldn't mind doing it if it brought us a promising young player, or a quality vet with a decent contract.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
anyone watch the unc-gt game last night?

my love for brendan wright is strong. last night further strengthened that.

it was also my first exposure to the gtech freshmen. young looks good. long and can shoot. and crittenden just took me by surprise. that kid needs seasoning, but if he declared this offseason i'd draft him with a later pick. he's 6'5 and quick AND he looks to get his teammates involved. his shot selection needs help, but i think that'll come with maturation.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ray Allen may miss the rest of the season. Seattle is in the #7 draft position, but will almost definitely pull "ahead" of the Hawks who are currently in #6

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2785705

--

On another note, I watched Julian Wright the other night and the Suns would have little use for him. The thing that bothers me about most of the forwards at the top of the board is that they cannot shoot, esp. FT's. The only two guys that interest me at all (in the 5-8 range) are Horford and maybe Noah. If the pick falls further (or these prospects improve), I think the Suns need to look at Acie Law (looks like a definite Billups type player) and Al Thornton (Sure he's a SF, but he's got range and athleticism). Then the Marion trade rumors can go for another spin ;-)