Draft Prospects thread

Errntknght

Reaction score
Why did the Suns pass on Milsap? Size, lack of athleticism, and lack of speed. 6'7" power forwards who can't jump are always long shots to make it in the NBA. Milsap had the good fortune to go to a team which doesn't run.

You should read your own posts more carefully. Note that it contradicts you about Milsap... "Has good agility, runs the floor well. Solid in transition ... Explosive leaper..."

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You should read your own posts more carefully. Note that it contradicts you about Milsap... "Has good agility, runs the floor well. Solid in transition ... Explosive leaper..."

Runs the floor well is a matter of degree. Milsap runs well for a power forward but not well for a small forward. At under 6'7" without really long arms, he looked to be another Malik Rose.

Let's face it, the Suns messed up for the same reason everyone else did. Every year there is a slew of undersized inside guys who are just not big enough to make it in the NBA. Milsap was the exception.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Milsap is a PF on the Suns... heck, he'd probably get time at center.

Also you said he can't jump but your quote calls him an 'explosive leaper'.

Money316

Reaction score
Whoever you get better have a sense of humor and fit in good with these motley fools.

You must be registered for see images

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
DX Mock 4.0

This gives a bit more info than a standard mock and is their first to reflect what GM's are telling them.

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=2130

Detailed First Round Mock Draft, 6/20by: DraftExpress June 20, 2007

1 Trailblazers Greg Oden C
19 years old; 7'0"; 257 lbs.
Ohio State, Freshman

Even if Durant is a better fit in terms of pure need, the Blazers don’t want to risk passing up the next great NBA big man.

2 SuperSonics Kevin Durant SF/PF
18 years old; 6'10"; 215 lbs.
Texas, Freshman

Sam Presti’s start with the SuperSonics gets a huge shot in the arm by taking arguably the biggest talent in this draft.

3 Hawks Al Horford PF/C
21 years old; 6'10"; 246 lbs.
Florida, Junior

Billy Knight’s job is on the line, so he goes for the sure thing in selecting a rock-solid national champion who is ready to contribute immediately.

4 Grizzlies Mike Conley Jr PG
19 years old; 6'1"; 175 lbs.
Ohio State, Freshman

With Horford off the board, the Grizzlies look to solidify the most important position in basketball by selecting their point guard of the future.

5 Celtics Jeff Green SF/PF
20 years old; 6'10"; 228 lbs.
Georgetown, Junior

Doc Rivers gets his wish by adding a smart, versatile, experienced forward who can give him minutes right away.

6 Bucks Brandan Wright PF
19 years old; 6'10"; 200 lbs.
North Carolina, Freshman

The Bucks can’t believe their luck in seeing possibly the third most talented player in the draft fall to them at #6.

7 Timberwolves Spencer Hawes C
19 years old; 7'1"; 244 lbs.
Washington, Freshman

Kevin McHale gets the skilled big man he’s coveted for some time now to compliment KG.

8 Bobcats Corey Brewer SF
21 years old; 6'8"; 185 lbs.
Florida, Junior

The Bobcats get yet another big time college star with an NCAA championship underneath his belt, giving them depth at the swing positions and insurance should Gerald Wallace decide to bolt.

9 Bulls From Knicks Joakim Noah PF/C
22 years old; 7'0"; 223 lbs.
Florida, Junior

Noah falls to exactly the team that fits him best under Scott Skiles’ tough-nosed mentality, allowing him to continue to do what he does best-- help win games.

10 Kings Yi Jianlian PF/C
22 years old; 7'0"; 230 lbs.
Guangdong Tigers, International

Jianlian stays in California like his agent wants and the Kings get a very nice piece for their rebuilding effort.

11 Hawks From Pacers Acie Law PG
22 years old; 6'4"; 186 lbs.
Texas A&M, Senior

The Hawks finally draft a point guard and one-up themselves by taking someone who can play right away and has a big-time winning mentality to boot.

12 76ers Al Thornton SF/PF
23 years old; 6'7"; 221 lbs.
Florida State, Senior

More length and athleticism on the wing for a team that can afford to take the best player available at this spot, but needs someone with a go-to scoring mentality.

13 Hornets Nick Young SG/SF
22 years old; 6'7"; 206 lbs.
USC, Junior

The Hornets pick arguably the best shooting guard in this draft, satisfying their biggest need.

14 Clippers Javaris Crittenton PG
19 years old; 6'5"; 194 lbs.
Georgia Tech, Freshman

The Clippers are desperate for a point guard and Crittenton has the size and upside to help them forget about Shaun Livingston’s unfortunate injury.

15 Pistons From Magic Rodney Stuckey PG/SG
21 years old; 6'5"; 207 lbs.
Eastern Wash., Sophomore

The Pistons take an athletic and extremely talented combo guard to bring off the bench, fulfilling a need and staying true to their personal M.O.

16 Wizards Julian Wright SF/PF
20 years old; 6'9"; 211 lbs.
Kansas, Sophomore

The Wizards can’t believe their fortune when a player projected for most of the year as a top-5 pick falls right into their hands in the middle of the first round.

17 Nets Jason Smith PF/C
21 years old; 7'0"; 233 lbs.
Colorado State, Junior

New Jersey needs an athletic big man who can run the floor and fill the lane for Jason Kidd, and get exactly that here.

18 Warriors Tiago Splitter PF/C
22 years old; 7'0"; 245 lbs.
TAU Vitoria, International

Splitter probably won’t be able to come over this season, but picking him here will prove to be a prudent move for Chris Mullin down the road.

19 Lakers Josh McRoberts PF/C
20 years old; 6'10"; 240 lbs.
Duke, Sophomore

McRoberts’ skill-set was tailor made for Tex Winters’ triangle offense, and he gets to stay in Los Angeles where he is already based with his agent Arn Tellem.

20 Heat Thaddeus Young SF/PF
18 years old; 6'8"; 210 lbs.
Georgia Tech, Freshman

Miami covets an athletic small forward who can shoot the ball and Young fills that description to a T, along with possessing serious upside to groom alongside Dwyane Wade.

21 76ers From Nuggets Rudy Fernández SG
22 years old; 6'6"; 172 lbs.
DKV Joventut, International

With 3 first round picks, the 76ers can afford to pick a player with lottery talent who likely won’t be able to come over this year due to contractual obligations in Europe.

22 Bobcats From Raptors Morris Almond SG/SF
22 years old; 6'6"; 215 lbs.
Rice, Senior

The Bobcats get not only one of the best shooters in this draft, but also a guy with arguably the best intangibles.

23 Knicks From Bulls Daequan Cook SG
20 years old; 6'6"; 203 lbs.
Ohio State, Freshman

The Knicks have taken a liking to this freshman, who many feel may have developed into a lottery pick had he stayed another year at Ohio State. He also fills a need in terms of his outside shooting.

24 Suns From Cavaliers Marco Belinelli SG
21 years old; 6'5"; 192 lbs.
Climamio Bologna, International

The Suns need help at the swing positions and Mike D’Antoni loves all things Italian. Belinelli can also shoot with great range and no conscious, which is also a huge plus in this offense.

25 Jazz Sean Williams C
20 years old; 6'10"; 230 lbs.
Boston College, Junior

With a team stacked with young talent locked into long term contracts, the Jazz can afford to gamble on a player with lottery talent, but minor-league intangibles, who also happens to fill a need.

26 Rockets Nick Fazekas PF/C
22 years old; 6'11"; 225 lbs.
Nevada, Senior

Statistically, there is a case to be made for Fazekas to be considered the second best player in this draft. Moneyball disciple Daryl Morey values that as much as anyone, filling a great need in taking a power forward who can pass and shoot the ball as well as any big man in this draft.

27 Pistons Derrick Byars SG/SF
23 years old; 6'7"; 215 lbs.
Vanderbilt, Senior

After trading Carlos Delfino, the Pistons need a swingman who can contribute right away. Byars fits that description, and also has the added benefit of being a defensive oriented player from a structured college system who can pass and shoot the ball and understands his role.

28 Spurs Jared Dudley SF/PF
21 years old; 6'7"; 219 lbs.
Boston College, Senior

At the end of the first round, San Antonio gets an experienced role player with a “Spurs mentality” that can come in and play right away thanks to his perimeter shooting, passing, and rebounding skills.

29 Suns Petteri Koponen PG
19 years old; 6'5"; 194 lbs.
Honka Playboys,

The Suns need to start grooming a point guard to help ease the load on their aging superstar Steve Nash, and Koponen has the learning curve and the intangibles to soak up his lessons and even give Phoenix some help at the off-guard position as well.

30 76ers From Mavericks Taurean Green PG
21 years old; 6'1"; 173 lbs.
Florida, Junior

The Sixers are very shallow at the point guard position with Andre Miller entering the final year of his contract, and Taurean Green possesses the winning mentality that they sorely lack.

cly2tw

Reaction score
At 24, I'd take Byars or Sean Williams before Bellinelli

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Listen to the lates DX podcast on Sean Williams. This guy is bad news. Let me put is differently, this guy is BAD NEWS.

On the Bellinelli/Byars debate, it is not as easy to decide as it might seem. Bellinelli is expected to be a better shooter while Byars is bigger and expected to be a better defender. Bellinelli is just an SG while Byars can play some at SF.

DX gives Bellinelli mixed reviews even on his shooting over the past season.
http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=198&page=playerblog

I don't know how his workout went or whether he's able to defend in the NBA, but I'm not convinced he's as good as people thought based on how he played a year ago. You'd thinkhe has more upside, but European stars seem to be a lot harder to scout than NCAA guys so I'm not even sure of that.

Byars seems to have limited upside, but as a bigger, defense oriented guy who can shoot. That's the profile of a guy who will have an NBA career. I don't expect great stuff, but I am pretty sure he won't be a flop either.

Right now DX has Koponen going to the Suns at #29 while Gabe Pruitt would also be available at that slot. The team is bringing both in for another workout, so it is reasonable to think they will take one or other.

Last edited:

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
I think Sean Williams will have the biggest gamble/turnout difference in the draft. He could see his dismissal from boston as a life changing thing, or it would be inevitable that his offcourt drama and lack of hustle would continue in him.

If he had an attitude change, Sean williams would be a great backup PF. He has really high rated defense from multiple sources, and thats all we would really need out of him as a backup in the paint, as our bench guards are and will be great shooters

id be happy with dudley (i think he will be great on the suns, a diaw style player but aggressive) koponen, pruitt, jared jordan, a ready-to-go-splitter, bellini, or cook

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If he had an attitude change, Sean williams would be a great backup PF. He has really high rated defense from multiple sources,

He is not a low-post defender. He is an excellent help-defender because of excellent leaping ability and timing. He has also a quick feet, but not a Kurt Thomas-clone in defense.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
On the Bellinelli/Byars debate, it is not as easy to decide as it might seem. Bellinelli is expected to be a better shooter while Byars is bigger and expected to be a better defender. Bellinelli is just an SG while Byars can play some at SF.

DX gives Bellinelli mixed reviews even on his shooting over the past season.

I don't know how his workout went or whether he's able to defend in the NBA, but I'm not convinced he's as good as people thought based on how he played a year ago. You'd thinkhe has more upside, but European stars seem to be a lot harder to scout than NCAA guys so I'm not even sure of that.

Byars seems to have limited upside, but as a bigger, defense oriented guy who can shoot. That's the profile of a guy who will have an NBA career. I don't expect great stuff, but I am pretty sure he won't be a flop either.

George, Belinelli is an italian NT member and was a key member in a solid Euroleague team.

Byars was one of the best players of an above average NCAA team and was a solid NCAA player himself.

They just don't play on the same level. Since Belinelli has NBA athleticism and creativity, I don't see Byars picked up earlier than him.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
George, Belinelli is an italian NT member and was a key member in a solid Euroleague team.

Byars was one of the best players of an above average NCAA team and was a solid NCAA player himself.

They just don't play on the same level. Since Belinelli has NBA athleticism and creativity, I don't see Byars picked up earlier than him.

Euroleague Prospects (Part 3, Stock Down)
February 22, 2007
After an impressive game against the United States in the World Championship in Japan, Marco Belinelli’s stock took a bit of a hit in the Euroleague season. He’s come down to earth a bit as defenses have keyed on him much more intensively, struggling with his shot during a good part of the campaign and showing a pretty one dimensional offensive game.

2007 RBK Eurocamp: Day One
June 10, 2007

he doesn't shy away when it comes to shooting the ball regardless of his situation on the court. That was the biggest problem in yesterday's performance, his shot selection.

We already know Belinelli, he's capable of knocking down the wildest shots, but he's not consistent doing it, hasn't been all season long, and stubbornly continues trying off-the-dribble, unbalanced, one-legged impulsed fade-away attempts with little chances of success. Yesterday he only hit a couple of perimeter jumpers, not by coincidence two orthodox, balanced, and open shots.

Obviously he has a lot of talent, but he worries me.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What's the problem?

Defenses focused more on him which made him scoring more difficult. Then he had a bad day in a pre-draft camp.

I'm not saying he will be an All-Star in the next few years. I just think that valuing Byars over him is a bit weird.

It's like Damien Wilkins over Ginobili, both are benchplayers while Wilkins is a solid pro but...

I'm not saying Belinelli will become immediately the next Ginobili but he might, while Byars' upside is very limited and I pretty much exclude that right now Byars is a better player.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What's the problem?

Defenses focused more on him which made him scoring more difficult. Then he had a bad day in a pre-draft camp.

I'm not saying he will be an All-Star in the next few years. I just think that valuing Byars over him is a bit weird.

It's like Damien Wilkins over Ginobili, both are benchplayers while Wilkins is a solid pro but...

I'm not saying Belinelli will become immediately the next Ginobili but he might, while Byars' upside is very limited and I pretty much exclude that right now Byars is a better player.

You may be right. The problem is that I remember how impressive Jasikevicius was in Europe, so I've learned to be cautious about Euro's.

Obviously if Belinelli is the next Manu (minus the flops), I'd take him a heartbeat. However, the fact that everyone has Fernandez rated ahead of him, despite having an impossible contract situation ($1.5 million buyout this season), is simply troubling.

Delmon Young

Rookie
Reaction score
Brewer isn't going to impress you much one on one, but put him in a regulation game with 5 on 5 situations, and he really shines. He's an awesome team player who feeds off his teammates and really creates going to the rim. I'm not that worried about him in the pro's... I think he'll be a dominant defender (yes, even with his frame) that will also prove to be a solid, yet unspectacular scorer in the league (about 14-15 PPG). He's also a very good passer.

He gets a rep for his slight frame, and to an extent, it's deserved, but he's really surprisingly a pretty strong player. He finishes in traffic very well, and is excellent at finishing after contact.

Players like Thornton and Young will dominate the workouts, because they're athletic freaks, but put them in a game where others are involved, and I'll take Corey Brewer.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Brewer is rated in the top ten in every mock draft, while Al Thorton and Thad Young are raned much lower. Thorton is borderline top ten at most, while Brewer could go as high as #5 (though I expect Green at that slot).

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Stay away from Fernandez.. This whole thing is really risky..

Can't get him out of his contract, he may just end up signing contract after contract in europe because it will pay him more than a late first round rookie contract..

Kind of like Vujanic did and Fran Vasquez who will probably never come to Orlando despite getting drafted at #12 or so..

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Can't get him out of his contract, he may just end up signing contract after contract in europe because it will pay him more than a late first round rookie contract..

Kind of like Vujanic did and Fran Vasquez who will probably never come to Orlando despite getting drafted at #12 or so..

It's the same reason I'd only take Splitter if I planned to leave him in Europe.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score

Splitter is the scary one--he's only in the draft because of his age.

Fernandez can still pull out, so if he's in, that means he's got a deal set up with somebody (and is therefore committed to the NBA).

BTW, if you look at the teams with high second-round picks, the Spurs have traded into the #3 spot in the 2nd round, and Seattle (led by former Spurs exec Presti) are sitting at the #1 and #5 spots in the second round. It wouldn't surprise me if two of those picks are used to draft-and-follow foreign players, with Presti contractually obligated to stay away from the Spurs' pick...

Edit: never mind, Fernandez might be in because of his age, too. That certainly adds a significant factor to his risk.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05