Drew/Quentin

Capt'nCard

Veteran
Reaction score
These two guys are putting up some good numbers down in the Ole Pueblo. Drew finally got a dayoff today but he's improving each day and is getting his avg. up after a slow start. 19 hits in 64 AB/ .297 avg. 6 HR and 14 RBI's. Carlos looks good too with a higher avg. but less power numbers. 15h 47AB/ .319 1 HR and 9 RBI's. I believe Carlos is somewhat of a luxury right now with DaVanon playing so well but with Green and Gonzo both hitting under .240 and not getting any younger I wonder how long it will be until one of those two go down? (not wishing for that, but....) Carlos should fit right in and be able to share some AB's.

Drew on the other hand I dont think needs an injury to be called up. I'm guessing he'll get the call after he gets his 150-200 AB's (4-5 weeks) in Tucson and give the line-up a much needed boast in offense. not sure where he'd fit in the lineup though. I for one cant wait! I love watching the D-backs but outside of Byrnes this team is kinda boring to watch. It would be nice to finally see highest rated prospects start to take this team over through out the year!

Oh and one side note for anyone who hasnt been pay much attention, Bruney has given up 12 runs in 2.2 innings for an Ortiz like 33.75 ERA....ouch

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
I haven't ever seen Drew play- how is his speed? I love speed and this team seems to lack it. Eventually (if he has speed or as at least a good baserunner) maybe Drew could hit in the 2 hole?

AZZenny

Reaction score
Fast. Not Upton fast, but fast. Legit 5-plus tool guy. However, I doubt he'll come up real soon -- probably not until Melvin is gone. Melvin won't even start Andy Green with Counsel down for a few days. He started Clark although CJ has some good, albeit limited, numbers against Seo.

CQ is hardly a luxury given our current OF. I like Byrnes, too, but last I looked, he's not doing a whole lot either. However, I expect he should warm up, and I am afraid I can't say the same about Green. He's just plain slowed down way too much. Although -- his throw from the OF to the plate the other night was really pretty.

I don't blame him for his lackadaisical attitude -- 75% of the team looks that way.

Anyhow, I agree we just sit/waive Shawn Green if he continues for another couple weeks like this. We put CQ in RF, and we let Davanon be the rotating OF -- CQ shouldn't have to learn that stuff when he first comes up, but playing 2 out of 3 games is probably plenty initially.

As to that other Carlos - - Gonzalez -- that some of you felt already makes Quentin dispensible before he even made it to double-A ball: He's hitting .250 -- which jumped a lot after a good game -- OPS of .791 and 3 E. That's in High-A. I agree that he has excellent potential, but he looks like someone who needs to work his way through the system... patiently. That whole team sucks so far, which was not expected.

On the other hand, future catcher-stud Miggy Montero has adjusted to AA, it appears: hitting .352, an OPS of 1.200, and no errors. Last year he struggled a bit when moved up from A-ball, and in AZFL all he did was bullpen catching for a couple weeks, but he played winter ball and came in to Tennessee smokin' -- if you'll pardon the pun.

HooverDam

Reaction score
The Dbacks should do everything in their power to trade Gonzo, Ortiz and Green for pitching prospects. Even if they are only mid level prospects. I'd take a few position prospects too if thats all we can get.

They should then begin giving out more free/cheap tickets to local high schools. The D'Backs need to focus on the future, make sure to build up the local fan base, have kids grow up w/ the Baby Backs as they grow into good superstars.

Mediocrity is the worst thing to have in sports. Either be good, or blow it up and try again, but nothing kills a franchise like extended mediocrity.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
HooverDam said:
Mediocrity is the worst thing to have in sports. Either be good, or blow it up and try again, but nothing kills a franchise like extended mediocrity.

I dunno. The Cardinals have been doing it for decades and they still have a fanbase. But then again, the Cardinals would love to achieve the level of mediocrity.

I agree with everything you said though. I think Byrnes is a smart guy though and will probably have a short amount of patience when it comes to some of these guys. It could all depend on how stubborn Melvin is. He too is just as mediocre as the guys we are putting out on the field.

Billexium

Reaction score
This probably isn't the correct place for this question but I didn't want to start a whole new thread. Does anyone have ESPN Insider? There's a story about Conor Jackson on there that looks interesting.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Billexium said:
This probably isn't the correct place for this question but I didn't want to start a whole new thread. Does anyone have ESPN Insider? There's a story about Conor Jackson on there that looks interesting.

:D

I started a whole thread....

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan