Eagles Defense Going Down, Cardinals Defense Going Up

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Philly needs a probowl defensive backfield for their high risk, high reward D to work. They lost Al Harris, probably the best 3rd CB in the league (for a Fourth round pick... Hello Rod Graves?) and Taylor is holding out (trade? release? it could happen).
To boot they lost their best rusher in Douglass.
The vaunted Eagle D just might come back down to Earth this year. If you rely on pass rush and defensive backfield, then lose your best pass rusher and a key CB, you're going to take a step back.

On the other hand, the Cards added speed (and consequently depth) in Jackson and Darling, will have a faster, stronger version of KVB, a more knowledgable, more experienced and more physically mature pair in Bryant and Johnson, a menace waiting to happen in Pace (yeah baby, we'll see just how crazy we were with this pick), a healthy Starks, and up and comer in Barrett. We've got depth at DT, DE and LB. We need another CB, IMO. Fortunately we are in a position to outbid nearly everyone for whomever does become available. Personally I would pursue a trade for a guy like Bobby Taylor (who isn't great, but very good) and take the guess work out of it. Be proactive. Finish this defense off, and knock Philly's down in the process.

Overall, this defense has a chance to shine this season. Don't forget that it was this yound defense that carried this team to it's first four wins last year.

OP
OP
SECTION 11

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Say TB gives in a gives a four, five, even six for Jones, it would take the sting off of trading a third for a pro bowl corner.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
Philly needs a probowl defensive backfield for their high risk, high reward D to work. They lost Al Harris, probably the best 3rd CB in the league (for a Fourth round pick... Hello Rod Graves?) and Taylor is holding out (trade? release? it could happen).
To boot they lost their best rusher in Douglass.
The vaunted Eagle D just might come back down to Earth this year. If you rely on pass rush and defensive backfield, then lose your best pass rusher and a key CB, you're going to take a step back.

On the other hand, the Cards added speed (and consequently depth) in Jackson and Darling, will have a faster, stronger version of KVB, a more knowledgable, more experienced and more physically mature pair in Bryant and Johnson, a menace waiting to happen in Pace (yeah baby, we'll see just how crazy we were with this pick), a healthy Starks, and up and comer in Barrett. We've got depth at DT, DE and LB. We need another CB, IMO. Fortunately we are in a position to outbid nearly everyone for whomever does become available. Personally I would pursue a trade for a guy like Bobby Taylor (who isn't great, but very good) and take the guess work out of it. Be proactive. Finish this defense off, and knock Philly's down in the process.

Overall, this defense has a chance to shine this season. Don't forget that it was this yound defense that carried this team to it's first four wins last year.

Why do you have to be so negative?? :lol:

OP
OP
SECTION 11

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Re: Re: Eagles Defense Going Down, Cardinals Defense Going Up

Originally posted by PortlandCardFan
Why do you have to be so negative?? :lol:

That was one of the most ******** threads I've ever seen.
What a phuckhead.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Eagles Defense Going Down, Cardinals Defense Going Up

Originally posted by SECTION 11
That was one of the most ******** threads I've ever seen.
What a phuckhead.

bad language

:D :D :D :D

j/k

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
If our team can gel (I assume so because Mac will make it happen - no cancers) and we have a few people step up...

Here it is:

PLAYOFFS!!! HERE WE COME!!!

of course, that is a BIG IF

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
The Eagles were at the top so there is nowhere to go but down :cool:

Thats why we should be excited! Were are at the bottom!

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Not any more. I think we will be "middle of the pack" with our D, and the offense COULD be a top 10, if all goes well (injuries, potential reached, etc.) YOU GOTTA BELIEVE!!!!

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by imaCafan
Not any more. I think we will be "middle of the pack" with our D, and the offense COULD be a top 10, if all goes well (injuries, potential reached, etc.) YOU GOTTA BELIEVE!!!!
<p>I'd like to second this quote. I agree 100%.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We don't play them (at least during the regular season). They're in another division. I don't care.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're in a pass happy division so we need as many corners as possible. Starks is good, Barrett is ok, but I don't have any faith in the guys behind them. I don't think we're going to win many games this year, let alone go to the playoffs. Seattle should be the top team in the West, and I think they will be our main competition for the next few years. With the exception of Randle most of their best players are relatively young. San Francisco and the Rams should be good this year, but not for much longer.

Garcia is close to the end of career and I've heard he's nursing his arm right now. Owens isn't happy and may leave next year. Hearst won't be around much longer. This is a veteran team with only a few young star players. They will probably break even this year but I think they are at the end of their run.

Warner probably won't play much longer. Faulk is getting old and has been injured lately. They 2 starting recievers only have a few years left and they still haven't found a #3 since Hakim left, which is very inportant in that offense. Every year they lose a bunch of free agents and I think it's going to catch up to them.

Blake will be a solid starter for us, but our future will probably be Mccown and Parson. Both of the young guys are good athlets with powerfull arms. With Blake at the helm both of them will have the whole year to learn how to play in the NFL. Hopefully one of them will step up by the end of the year. I think we will be set at rb for a while and Emmitt will soak up a lot of hits this year so Shipp will be fresh when we're ready to compete for a championship. We have a lot of talent at the wr position but won't get a lot of production this year. Johnson and Boldin are both superior athletes who will be a great 1-2 combo for a long time to come. Johnson played and Penn State (or We Don't Pass U) so he needs to learn, and Boldin has only been a reciever for 2 years. Our Line is young, BIG, mean and Big. We should have one of the top units in the league. Our 3 top d-linemen have are all very young and should be a good group. We desperately need another starting tackle and quality corners. Our linebackers should be a strong group also.

This dear: doormat.
Next few year: wiping our feet on the rest of the league.

OP
OP
SECTION 11

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by Floridacard
Garcia

This one's satisfying....

"The AP reports San Francisco 49ers QB Jeff Garcia was ineffective in his Pro Bowl debut. He only completed 4-of-12 passes for 36 yards and was intercepted three times."

But this one is just hilarious....

"The Associated Press reports San Francisco 49ers QB Jeff Garcia missed Saturday's workout because he had a cold. He normally doesn't practice on Saturdays anyway, and head coach Steve Mariucci expects him to play Sunday."

SwingOnThis

Reaction score
Sect 11, a couple of things about the Eagles - Al Harris, while a pretty good player, really wasn't the best 3rd corner in the league IMO. If you watched the NFC Title game you saw all of his flaws exposed. He's a penalty machine, he plays the deep ball well, and can't stop the underneath routes because he plays so soft (thus, the reason he plays the deep ball well). Keyshawn made him look foolish on one TD in particular. Also, the Eagles traded a 4th rounder + Al Harris to get Green Bay's second rounder, which they traded to San Diego on draft day to move up and get Jerome McDougle.

Also, Bobby Taylor and Duce Staley were no-shows for a voluntary mini camp. Not exactly holding out. In fact, their agents already said that they'll be in training camp on time. Taylor is trying to send a message that he wants a new deal, as the Eagles tend to extend their key players before they get to free agency. When they let a guy become a FA, it's usually because they turned down the Eagles offer of an extension, or because the Eagles don't feel he's worth what he's asking, a la Hugh Douglas.

You're right, the Eagles defense will probably take a bit of a step back because of all the turnover, and in a lot of ways they're in a similar boat as the Cards - they have young, high draft picks that must prove their worth and step up and become solid starters.

Just my $.02 from an Eagles p.o.v.

(and i really don't mean to bore the Cards fans talking too much about the Eagles - sorry about that)

OP
OP
SECTION 11

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by SwingOnThis

Also, Bobby Taylor and Duce Staley were no-shows for a voluntary mini camp. Not exactly holding out. In fact, their agents already said that they'll be in training camp on time. Taylor is trying to send a message that he wants a new deal, as the Eagles tend to extend their key players before they get to free agency. When they let a guy become a FA, it's usually because they turned down the Eagles offer of an extension, or because the Eagles don't feel he's worth what he's asking, a la Hugh Douglas.

Good stuff SwingOnThis.

Joe Banner has told Taylor's agent not to even contact him any more about his extension. Originally Taylor's agent said he'd be in camp, but that was before Banner evidently got tired of the whole discussion. It looks like it might be Taylor or Vincent, but probably not both, especially after the deal they gave Dawkins. Can they really afford to have that much tied up in their secondary alone?

Harris had a certain attraction to holding penalties, but he had a solid year overall. He's not the first guy that Keyshawn smoked.

OP
OP
SECTION 11

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
(and i really don't mean to bore the Cards fans talking too much about the Eagles - sorry about that)

Don't be sorry at all. That's good info. And it wasn't preceeded by 74 "Cardinals Suck" posts, so that's cool by me!

SwingOnThis

Reaction score
The main fear in Eagleleand is that they're ready to let Taylor AND Vincent walk after this year. If they keep anyone, they'll keep Vincent and let him transition to the nickel back spot. They have 2 young corners from last years draft that they expect to be starting next season. The puzzling thing to me is that Vincent appears to have lost a step, and has been vulnerable to injuries the last few years. Taylor is 2 years younger, and at the top of his game. But i guess Vincent is a clubhouse leader, and a respected person in the community and one of Reid's 'guys'.

The thing that irritates me about Banner's philosophy is that they are so intent on NOT overpaying any players, especially players they feel are past their prime (read: over 30), that they're willing to let them walk away. They feel that they'll plug in some younger guys and Jim Johnson will find a way to make them into a player, or mask their shortcomings. This i feel will catch up to them eventually, and possibly this season. Losing a guy like Douglas is not easy to replace. When you have an attacking defense and you blitz a lot, you tend to think that sacks grow on trees. They don't. Hugh was a special player. And when you blitz w/ players that aren't that good, you'd better have an excellent secondary behind you, as you mentioned earlier.

I'm going to be curious to see who turns out to be the better end, Calvin Pace or Jerome McDougle. Pace will probably see more playing time. The funny thing is, the guy the Eagles drafted in the 4th round, McDougle's teammate DE Jamal Green, is supposedly outperforming McDougle in camp.

And lastly, i'm definitely not a Card hater. I like the Cards a lot. I've followed them closely ever since i moved here 4 years ago. Plenty of people adopted the D-Backs or the Suns - I took to the Cards. One reason is, i love football more than any other sport. And another, i have an affinity for the underdog and their fans. I learned about that a lot growing up in Philly. And it's nice to see people passionate about their team. Regardless of how many times the Owner seems to screw them over.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
The thing that irritates me about Banner's philosophy is that they are so intent on NOT overpaying any players, especially players they feel are past their prime (read: over 30), that they're willing to let them walk away. They feel that they'll plug in some younger guys and Jim Johnson will find a way to make them into a player, or mask their shortcomings. This i feel will catch up to them eventually, and possibly this season. Losing a guy like Douglas is not easy to replace. When you have an attacking defense and you blitz a lot, you tend to think that sacks grow on trees. They don't. Hugh was a special player. And when you blitz w/ players that aren't that good, you'd better have an excellent secondary behind you, as you mentioned earlier.

I think this is smart, and it's what I do on Madden. I will not resign a playerif they are over 33. I usually trade them.

Philly can afford to do this because they have somewhat of a good coaching staff (I don't know much about the Eagles, I'm assuming).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05